Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Welp...another Kobold down, another lost bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Well, that werewolf build worked better than I expected, though that platinum dagger was... welp.

That last match though, that's painful. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Poor, poor Kobold. Someday they'll win a match again. Someday. (Just not against my dude :colbert:)

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Holy gently caress I so did not expect that to work; in arena testing Hungry Mungry could lose a fight with a pig. He fared even worse against armed, skilled opponents, though admittedly I never tried him against anything smaller than himself.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Brick Moses posted:

Holy gently caress I so did not expect that to work;

I imagine the same could be said of Everypony. Ridiculous build that should work advancing past the first round due to crushing a tinier opponent. Ha!

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

VladTheEater posted:

I imagine the same could be said of Everypony. Ridiculous build that shouldn't work advancing past the first round due to crushing a tinier opponent. Ha!

See also: the Original Prancer, and his two month-long victory against a goblin.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Alas poor Cobalt. She was dead the moment her first chop went wide.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Forty-Three:siren:

Match Forty-Three, G. Butler (Mazerunner) vs. Lin (Hooplah)

G. Butler, a human gladiator, is equipped with a simple copper spear, copper shield, and copper helm. Lin, soldier ant woman, also favors the spear. However, she carries two iron spears, each held with two of her four hands. She wears some simple leather armor and a copper helm. Will the two spear strategy prove credible, or will the larger human simply run Lin over?

The fight begins! Lin is just a step quicker than her opponent, and opens the melee by leaping straight forward into her foe! One of her iron spears jabs into Butler's ankle, cracking bone, and the impact knocks the human fighter abruptly onto his back, stunned!

To the shock of onlookers, Lin abandons her spears for a moment and instead delivers a series of brutal punches to her opponent, one of which breaks his arm! Butler shakes off his shock, but it may be too late!

Lin continues her onslaught, now using her spear against Butler. The human, fully on guard, blocks, parries and counters strike after strike, even from his disadvantageous position on the ground. To Lin's credit, none of the human's strikes land, but the fight seems to have reached an impasse.

All of the sudden, Lin makes a move around Butler's guard, impaling him through the belly from the other direction! The iron spear cuts through his kidney, and deep crimson blood bubbles from the wound. Seeing her opponent effectively incapacitated by the pain, Lin moves in for another punch, then switches to methodically stabbing the human, alternating between her two spears. Butler, blinded by his own blood and now missing a hand, flails about with his shield, hoping desperately to ward off a strike or land any sort of hit on his opponent. But it is for naught. As the pool of blood spreads, Butler slips into complete unconsciousness.

Lin could now easily end the fight in a single blow, but instead focuses her attention on the human's torso, ripping out his guts with several precise thrusts and twists of her spears. At long last, Butler's body stops convulsing, leaving Lin the clear victor in this bout.

Combat Log

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This week, on Dwarfiest Warrior: Antwoman beats Hoplite.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Forty-Four:siren:

Match Forty-Four, Glitch (Clockwork Gadget) vs. Betty (A good poster)

Glitch, a kobold, has an unfortunate kit of gear. She is clad fully in leather armor, and wields a simple iron whip. Her opponent, Betty the yeti, wears a silver breast plate and wields a silver war hammer. Betty's main advantage here is that she is roughly the size of a car and her weapon is roughly the size of her opponent. Glitch's hope is that Betty is ticklish, because that's about all his whip is likely to be good for in this match.

Glitch is much quicker than his opponent. He advances rapidly and cracks his little whip through the air, hitting Betty with a stinging shot to the arm! The yeti tramples over Glitch, sending the kobold rolling to the ground but otherwise unhurt. Betty tries to squash the annoying little creature, but Glitch scrambles away.

A moment later, Glitch is back on his feet! Betty roars and charges at him again, but this time the kobold hops safely out of the way. He lashes Betty's arm once more, but again, the strike, while stinging, is not about to bring down the yeti. A third lash to the hand is similarly ineffectual.

Betty stomps toward Glitch again, and the kobold's luck runs out. The charge knocks him down with enough force to leave him stunned and defenseless.

Betty smashes his right arm twice, the first hit only bruising it through its thick leather padding, the second fracturing the bone. Glitch recovers enough to defend himself, gets up, and is immediately knocked back down. He scrambles into a corner, where Betty pin him, immediately pushing him over whenever he gets to his feet. Again and again, he evades her strikes, but cannot escape her entirely. A hammer-blow crushes the kobold's foot, leaving him unable to stand. It seems all is lost for the little warrior. But what's this? Glitch launches himself from the ground to punch Betty in the face, escapes an attack, lashes her leg with such force that he fractures her bone, scrambles away again, then lashes her lower arm, again, somehow, damaging one of the yeti's thick bones! Both warriors are now in moderate pain, and this could go either way!

Though Betty lands blow after blow with her hammer, the leather-clad kobold is able to weather the strikes with surprising ease, and lands his own in turn. This could be the greatest comeback in arena history if- CRUNCH. Glitch's skull caves in under Betty's hammer, and the match comes to an abrupt end.

Combat Log

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

This week, on Dwarfiest Warrior: Antwoman beats Hoplite.

Gerard Butler was just a guy pretending to be a hoplite anyway. Explains the lovely spear and shield.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Welp...I'm now 1-7 for Team Kobold. Hugs for Everyone seems to have pretty decent betting odds to win--wait a second? Bad Munki? You put 500 against your gladiator?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Krysmphoenix posted:

Welp...I'm now 1-7 for Team Kobold. Hugs for Everyone seems to have pretty decent betting odds to win--wait a second? Bad Munki? You put 500 against your gladiator?

Hugs for Everyone will win, or I swear I'll kill him... oh, wait.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Yep. It's the only way to get a sure thing. Either I win one way, or I win another. Don't much care which way it is.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Though Betty lands blow after blow with her hammer, the leather-clad kobold is able to weather the strikes with surprising ease, and lands his own in turn. This could be the greatest comeback in arena history if- CRUNCH. Glitch's skull caves in under Betty's hammer, and the match comes to an abrupt end.

The only thing I can think of is Tinny Tim.

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly sir!

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Man, I was kinda worried for a while after I realized I'd misread the part about silver making for poor armor material. I wasn't so much "armoring" as "accessorizing" at that point. Also, is it just a quirk of DF's combat code that leather armor can shrug off hammer blows like that, or was I doing something else comically wrong?

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
My only regret: choosing whip instead of scourge.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A good poster posted:

Man, I was kinda worried for a while after I realized I'd misread the part about silver making for poor armor material. I wasn't so much "armoring" as "accessorizing" at that point. Also, is it just a quirk of DF's combat code that leather armor can shrug off hammer blows like that, or was I doing something else comically wrong?

Low weapon skill and bad luck probably play similarly-sized, if not larger, roles. Even the greatest warrior with the best gear will sometimes land glancing blows in the latest version.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

All of the sudden, Lin makes a move around Butler's guard, impaling him through the belly from the other direction! The iron spear cuts through his kidney, and deep crimson blood bubbles from the wound. Seeing her opponent effectively incapacitated by the pain, Lin moves in for another punch, then switches to methodically stabbing the human, alternating between her two spears. Butler, blinded by his own blood and now missing a hand, flails about with his shield, hoping desperately to ward off a strike or land any sort of hit on his opponent. But it is for naught. As the pool of blood spreads, Butler slips into complete unconsciousness.

Lin could now easily end the fight in a single blow, but instead focuses her attention on the human's torso, ripping out his guts with several precise thrusts and twists of her spears. At long last, Butler's body stops convulsing, leaving Lin the clear victor in this bout.

Real proud of my antlady. A capable warrior :allears:

Hopefully she fares as well as her bro MAD COW

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Forty-Five:siren:

Match Forty-Five, Aspen (iLonie) vs. Galk Rendogut (IDOLA)

Aspen, a human, holds a well-forged steel long sword. She does not bother with fancy armor or shields. Galk Rendogut, werewolf, is protected by an iron mail shirt and a copper shield. His preferred weapon is an iron halberd. It looks like both warriors have weapons that will be effective against the other- let's see how it turns out!

The warriors spring forward, seemingly matching each other step for step! But Galk is just fast enough to beat out his human opponent. His halberd strike misses, though he just succeeds in knocking Aspen off her feet.

Galk presses his advantage, slashing at his opponent with his halberd while she's on the ground. But Aspen rolls away from the first strike, parries the next with her sword, and frantically scrambles to avoid a third! Now she leaps to her feet. Galk attempts a thrust, but the attack narrowly misses the lithe Aspen.

Now Aspen finally get a chance to strike! She slashes at the werewolf's paw, tearing muscle and severing nerves. Galk's appendage goes limp, and he collapses to the ground! Now Aspen fights from a position of advantage. She stabs Galk's leg, cutting into bone. Galk blocks the next strike and counters, but he misses the agile human warrior once more. Aspen slashes away at Galk, weaving in and out with every strike like her namesake in a brisk breeze. She wounds the werewolf's hand, and his halberd slips from his grasp. Galk remains dangerous with his claws and fangs, and does not give up on trying to destroy Aspen. Strike after strike grinds away at the werewolf, though, and soon he is only a shadow of his former self. An extremely bloody shadow.

Aspen keeps up her rhythmic attacks. Just as the frequency of her strikes reaches its peak, Galk falls flat on his back, bled dry. Aspen claims victory!

Combat Log

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Forty-Six:siren:

Match Forty-Six, Chopin (shark mafia) vs. Sir Smellsalot (onetwentysix)

Chopin the dwarf wields an over-sized iron great axe. He is armored with a partial set of oakwood equipment, including a breast plate and greaves, a strange choice for a dwarf. Sir Smellsalot, tigerman, has a copper scourge and oak buckler. Will the cheap metal scourge be able to cut through Chopin's even cheaper wood armor? Let's get things started and find out!

The match begins. Chopin, weighed down by his surprisingly heavy wooden armor, isn't quite able to keep up with his opponent. Smellsalot slashes his scourge at the dwarf while charging forward, but Chopin proves quicker on is feet than might be expected, and dodges the assault completely!

Now the dwarf has a chance to strike. He hefts his great axe at the tigerman, but the beast manages to block with his buckler! Smellsalot charges at Chopin, landing a hit with his scourge that cuts right through Chopin's oak gauntlet to tear the flesh of the dwarf's lower arm. The charge itself sends Chopin rolling backward, stunned and vulnerable.

The tigerman lashes Chopin in the face, disfiguring the dwarf before he can mount an effective defense and inflicting a good degree of pain. But Chopin is able to parry the next strike, then boosts himself back to his feet. Smellsalot rushes at the dwarf again, but Chopin hops straight backwards, just escaping the tigerman's fury. But Smellsalot is too quick, and is able to immediately strike again, lashing at Chopin with all his might. The heavy scourge strikes the dwarf in his unprotected upper right arm and sheers straight through the flesh, popping the limb off at the joint! Smellsalot attacks yet again, but Chopin is able to leap away before the beast can take his remaining arm.

The tigerman re-engages, giving Chopin a chance to attack. The dwarf hefts his great axe as best as he can with a single hand, but Smellsalot blocks the attack without issue and counters, missing wide. Chopin attacks again, but still finds his strike blocked by the vigilant tigerman. Smellsalot charges forth once more, his strike ravaging the dwarf's upper body, and in fact breaking the spine somewhere in the thoracic region. Chopin spirals into the arena floor, losing hold of his weapon. This fight is all but over. Smellsalot rapidly eviscerates his now helpless target, and Chopin exsanguinates, never having landed a blow on his opponent.

Combat Log

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

quote:

Sir Smellsalot lashes Chopin in the right upper arm with his copper scourge and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Scourges, man. Can't believe it had enough contact area to amputate an arm.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is wooden armor even worth the points needed to buy it?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Glazius posted:

Is wooden armor even worth the points needed to buy it?

It won't ever really prevent damage outright, but it can still blunt attacks in a similar manner to leather armor. See Glitch V Betty.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Wooden armour? That's no dwarf, it's just an Elf-Badger crossbreed.

Wooden armour really isn't worth it, you'd probably be better off just spending the points on another level of dodge, or getting a better weapon material, or even just saving them. Even against hammers it's not going to be up to much. Better to spend the points on leather so as not to worry about the weight.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Wood's an all right investment if you expect to be bitten or something; teeth don't seem to have a ton of purchase through even that much.

Generally speaking I'd say that the rules is you should get metal armor or none, though.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been awhile since I posted in the thread. Just checked my pending bets, and I've got five fights coming up.

Goblin Supremacy.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Forty-Seven:siren:

Match Forty-Seven, Major Miner (Jeans) vs. Pham (Dire)

Major Miner, a dwarf, holds an iron pick and a grudge against all goblinkind. Pham the goblin, raider by trade, spear for hire, and now, arena participant, has a bronze spear and an iron buckler. This type of encounter is common in the more unfortunate dwarven settlements- let's see how it plays out here!

The combatants sprint straight at one another, hatred in their eyes. Pham, being a goblin, is just slightly quicker, and attacks with his spear first! Major Miner is able to dodge the attack, but the fighters jostle for a moment and Pham gets yet another strike, missing cleanly.

Miner finally gets his turn to attack, and swings his pick right into Pham's lower leg, severing the limb below the knee! Pham collapses to the ground, attacking toward Miner as he goes down, to no avail. Miner brings down his pick, but the goblin rolls away. He isn't quick enough to avoid the next strike, though, which punches a hole through his arm. Now the two fighters exchange a series of blows, parrying and blocking in turn, Pham still holding his ground. Again and again the goblin slips away from Miner's strikes, but eventually the dwarf impales Pham in the abdomen.

Hot blood gushes from Pham's wounds. The goblin, crawling pitifully with his remaining functional limbs, tries to escape from Miner. The dwarf jams his pick into his desperate quarry's chest cavity. Pham's last, frantic heartbeats pump blood into his own lung, and a moment later, he is dead. Major Miner carries the day for dwarfkind!

Combat Log

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I have a feeling picks are going to be a popular choice next tournament.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm up in two fights! :neckbeard:

Also I just realised I'm actually the second Murderface in this competition. I guess I'm his Spanish cousin.

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008
Im next fight and the wait is killing me. :f5:

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Pure Kamikaze posted:

Im next fight and the wait is killing me. :f5:
I know what you mean! Except I'm third next. Or something. I can't wait to see my guy just like, get pushed over cow-tipping style because of all his heavy armor and probably not enough armor skill.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Forty-Eight:siren:

Match Forty-Eight, McGruff the Crime Hound (Pure Kamikaze) vs. Squid (Supradog)

McGruff the Crime Hound, werewolf, is armored with a basic set of leather body armor and leggings. His weapon of choice is a silver dagger- perhaps he hopes to dispel some myths about his species. Squid, a tiny gremlin, also has a dagger, though his is of steel construction. History tells us that McGruff should be able to crush his opponent, but let's see for ourselves.

The gladiators advance, McGruff loping along, Squid darting across the floor like a cockroach. The quick gremlin gets the first attack, and stabs McGruff in the arm! His dagger rips into flesh, but doesn't cut the bone.

McGruff attacks next. The gremlin leaps away, then swipes with his own dagger, causing the werewolf to jump back as well. Squid closes the distance, avoiding McGruff's swipe on the way in, then slashes at the werewolf's calf! The dagger connects, but the cut is shallow. McGruff charges, missing his strike but knocking Squid over and stunning him in the process! Before Squid can recover, McGruff cleaves off his hand and bloodies his leg.

Squid gets up, and McGruff charges- but the gremlin hurls himself through the air, avoiding the onslaught! McGruff closes, giving Squid a chance to strike- but the goblin falls over, dead. Apparently the severed artery in his leg and severed hand was enough to bleed him dry. McGruff wins in a surprising anticlimax.

Combat Log

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what's the difference between a pick and, say, a spear made from the same material?

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008
MCGRUFF!!!!! :ese:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
A spear has a slightly smaller contact area and a hugely greater penetration depth, and a slightly lower velocity multiplier. The insane penetration on a spear might come into play more against larger opponents. Another thing is that a spear has two associated attacks (a stab and a haft smack), but the pick only has one attack. This is why I went with a pick, to cut down on useless opportunity attacks (and provide proportionally more biting opportunities).

Having a blunt option doesn't always hurt you, though the spear bash has too large a contact area to be very effective. If you have, say, an axe made of a low-tier metal in adventure mode, if you have trouble getting through somebody's armor you could pommel-strike him in the upper body until you break their spine.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Okay, now your knowledge has me curious, PublicOpinion (Other DF masters can chime in too). How (im)practical is unarmed fighting on non-gigantic (tigerman and smaller I guess) races? I want to know how badly I goofed up trying to essentially build (insert preferred martial artist, fictitious or not, here)

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

ImperialGuard posted:

Okay, now your knowledge has me curious, PublicOpinion (Other DF masters can chime in too). How (im)practical is unarmed fighting on non-gigantic (tigerman and smaller I guess) races? I want to know how badly I goofed up trying to essentially build (insert preferred martial artist, fictitious or not, here)

It's me you're up against. Last time I participated in this I was using an unarmed martial artist human. Never again.

Good luck!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ImperialGuard posted:

You'll basically always lose against anything significantly larger than you (unless you choose a serpent man) due to ineffectual damage output, but no one will be able to parry your attacks. Overall it's pretty bad, but it's actually a hilarious hard-counter to certain opponents. You'll have a ton of points for dodging and/or armor.

quote:

So what's the difference between a pick and, say, a spear made from the same material?

As PublicOpinion said, the picks are fairly blunt, now. They will essentially never penetrate against corresponding material. If you've ever handed an actual pickax-type tool, that's the sort of thing I'm going for in modeling them. They may be blunted further next tournament. My ultimate goal is to have picks and whips/scourges be a sort of "tier 2" weapon that is cheaper to acquire and skill but less effective than a real blade. We'll see how that goes next "season."

Also, the little guys are all getting big bonuses next time around. I'm thinking of making kobolds, gremlins, and gnomes larger, giving gnomes and gremlins [nostun]), and giving kobolds more points.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ImperialGuard posted:

I don't think it can win in higher rounds. It may or may not win a round or two. You essentially need to incapacitate opponents with pain before they stunlock you (if they're bigger and like to charge) or just eviscerate you, and the smaller you are, the harder that is to do with just your bare hands.

Tigerman isn't impossible, but if you're a human or smaller, forget it.

Stranglers make very bad stranglers.

• Locked thread