Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Qu Appelle posted:

I've skimmed through the thread, but I couldn't recall this scenario:

I inherited my desk, phone, and direct phone number from an old coworker who left before I started. Everything was nice and peaceful for the first few months. But now, there's a debt collector, calling once a day, looking for this former coworker.

I've been ignoring the calls (because I haven't been at my desk when they come), and they haven't left a VM - until now. Someone from Pinnacle Financial LLC Collections is looking for the former coworker. If I just continue to ignore these, how long will they call? Is it even worth it to try to tell them that they no longer work for us, and I don't know where they are?

(And I checked my VM, I have my name on it instead of theirs. So there's no mistake that they did NOT get the desk of who they were looking for.)

Collections agencies are allowed to contact a debtor's place of work once to get info, but only once. And you are not required to give them anything. This page quotes the relevant part of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act:

http://www.credit.com/credit_information/credit_law/Understanding-Your-Debt-Collection-Rights.jsp#2

Just mentioning that to the person on the phone may be enough to stop the calls. If not, try and get their mailing address and send them a cease & desist request by certified mail. If they keep calling they are violating the FDCPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
My fiance has a dental office that she hasn't been to in years. They called her out of the blue the other day trying to collect on about $200. She's always had coverage and religious about paying her bills, and doesn't remember missing anything.

They say they've tried to contact her but she moved(left forwarding though). She thinks they're wrong or trying to gently caress with her, so she's wondering what her options are. Does she have to give her new address? Does she have to talk to them on the phone? Should she request the bill in writing?

She has some ungodly high credit score (850-900) and doesn't want that to change.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Hey all, so I joined Bally Total Fitness around 3 years ago out here in West LA. My brother already had a membership and the guy at the gym offered that I could sign onto his plan with no contract and no enrollment fee for $24 a month, so I joined up and signed some paperwork. To be honest I can't remember reading all of the paperwork, but I'm a fairly details oriented guy so I imagine I did.

Anyhow I moved a few months ago and my new apartment complex has their own gym, so I called Bally to cancel. Apparently I'm under a 3 year contract and it's coming to an end in December. I disputed this, they claimed I was, I told them I never signed a contract, they claimed I had, I told them to send me a copy, they asked me to pay a $10 processing fee, I told them to gently caress off and hung up. I removed my credit card from their auto pay and haven't paid since.

I've gotten some letters in the mail but have been ignoring them, and just now I got a phone call from Alliance Creditors asking me to pay the $122 balance of my contract. I told them I would only accept correspondence in writing and hung up.

Now, should I just suck it up and pay the $122? I truly believe I didn't sign a contract, but I also have a bad feeling that maybe I took the scumbag gym employees word and just signed the paperwork and maybe I did slip into one. Should I just pay it off so as to not affect my credit? $122 isn't going to break me one way or another, but I'd rather not give into the assholes if I can help it. Please advise!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Send a debt verification letter to the debt collectors. Ask for a copy of the contract with your signature. Send it first class with a read receipt.

corded ware culture
Jul 16, 2007
mean green
In March of 2005 I broke a lease in Texas and abandoned the property. The account went to collections and I never bothered to pay it.

From what I understand, this information isn't supposed to be on my credit reports after seven years. Is that seven years from the date I abandoned the property, or the date that the collection agency reported the account to the credit bureaus? In the OP it states the SOL is from the date I last paid, which would have been February 3rd, 2005.

My other question is how long does it take for these places to get this stuff off your reports after you notify them it's been X amount of years.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So I'm trying to get a job still. It's been almost half a year and only 3 interviews. It's pretty lovely. In fact, it goes beyond that to super lovely. At this point I'm running out of hope, getting almost 5 months past due on a credit card with over $5,000 on it, and I haven't made a penny in 3 months thanks to my thyroid. That's not including the 3 other credit accounts that are past due, as well as personal loans and whatnot. And thanks to a failed credit card application I now know that my credit score is at 523.

Now the liquidation part of chapter 7 scares the living gently caress out of me. Trying to go for debt consolidation is an option, but only with income. Assuming I get this job, is there a debt consolidation place that won't try to gently caress me over? Is it worth spending 5 years paying this off? Would it be better to just say gently caress it and go for the bankruptcy option, to hell with my credit score?

Hahaha, my Macys card has a minimum payment due of $1,536.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 28, 2011

Jul 31, 2011

753951 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 8, 2013

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Unfortunately there's no deadline for CAs to respond to your validation request, however as long as you responded within that initial 30 day window they cannot engage in any collection activity until they do verify. Another thing, I don't know much about student loans, but I don't believe the FDCPA is applicable with those, student loans are pretty much collectable until the end of time.

vvv that's great!

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 28, 2011

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

AuntBuck posted:

Collections agencies are allowed to contact a debtor's place of work once to get info, but only once. And you are not required to give them anything. This page quotes the relevant part of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act:

http://www.credit.com/credit_information/credit_law/Understanding-Your-Debt-Collection-Rights.jsp#2

Just mentioning that to the person on the phone may be enough to stop the calls. If not, try and get their mailing address and send them a cease & desist request by certified mail. If they keep calling they are violating the FDCPA.

Turns out I didn't have to do that.

They called, I politely explained that he no longer works here and I have no contact info for him, and wished them a nice day. They haven't called back, and it's been over a week now.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

753951 posted:

So I sent a letter to the collections agency that's trying to collect on the three school loans my ex-wife refuses to pay.

That's what I sent them, one each for the three loans, referenceing the account numbers they had for me. All three green card came back and show they were signed on the 22nd of August. I have not received any mail or phone calls from them since.

I counted 30 calendar days out and that's the 21st of September.

Am I in the clear now? I checked my credit report before I sent the letters, and I saw that they hadn't reported on it yet. This is like the fourth or fifth debt collector, and they sent the initial "You have 30 days to respond otherwise we will consider this debt valid" message and I got my response in within that 30 day window.

They're probably either preparing to sue you or (most likely) they're selling the debt off to yet another collector. If it's the latter prepare to go through the same thing all over again.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
So... mind if I jump in here? I think I'm about to be sued in NY by a collections/firm type place; I (stupidly) ignored the dunning letters I received before I had a look at this thread, and now I'm at the point where if they're going to sue me, I'm going to have to pay them anyway, so might as well gently caress around and learn stuff, right?

Anyway, long story short -- I came home to find a summons-looking thing taped to my door, and the next day received another in the mail. I checked down at the city court and sure enough, it looks like I'm in the system there and so I'll need to file an answer, I guess.

A couple questions about the best way to proceed from here. And I know that you are not my lawyer and any suggestions you give does not constitute legal advice. But I figured I could use at least a little help:

1) It's too late for debt verification at this point, right? What might I have screwed myself out of? Victory?

2) The city court has a form I can fill out for my answer, with the first "reason" being a general/generic disagreement. Should I just go that route, or should I be more specific in my Answer? I don't really know what I'm doing, but I have noticed a few little things. Should I bother nit-picking the following:

2a) It doesn't look like the process server filed an Affidavit of Service, which is apparently something that should happen, right? The only thing I saw when I looked myself up at the courthouse was the original complaint. Is this, therefore, Improper Service, and can/should I request a dismissal? Is it even worth going down this road?

2b) I have two documents from them demanding two different amounts (one, dated the day before I received the summons and which is a few hundred more than what the summons demands). Does this constitute Incorrect Amount?

3) Is a [url="https://"http://www.debtorboards.com/index.php?topic=12550.0"]graduated denial[/url] worthwhile at all? Will this still allow me to guide this mess toward arbitration? That seems like the way I might want to go since the amount owed is not really that large. Or will it just annoy the clerks or something?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You're going to be far better served by checking out the legal q/a thread. There aren't any people in here who practice law, so you're going to get general, "this is what I think you would do in this situation" type answers (if you get any at all). Plus, you're kind of on a tight time frame here.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

NancyPants posted:

You're going to be far better served by checking out the legal q/a thread. There aren't any people in here who practice law, so you're going to get general, "this is what I think you would do in this situation" type answers (if you get any at all). Plus, you're kind of on a tight time frame here.

Thanks, NancyPants, I appreciate the input. I've gone ahead and posted it there as well. If anyone cares to chime in here, I would still be interested in reading any sort of "this is what I think you would do" answers as well.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

Jinkeez posted:

2a) It doesn't look like the process server filed an Affidavit of Service, which is apparently something that should happen, right? The only thing I saw when I looked myself up at the courthouse was the original complaint. Is this, therefore, Improper Service, and can/should I request a dismissal? Is it even worth going down this road?

The process server does have to file a proof of service, but they don't necessarily have to file that right away. Also, if you file for a dismissal you were obviously served so I don't know if that would help you.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.

AuntBuck posted:

I hate to say it, but if they got a judgment against you, you just sent them your new address. They don't have to respond to you, they can just begin garnishing you. Were you served or contacted at all by this company? Are they representing the original creditor or are they a collections agency? Judgments are far more difficult to get out of and they are collectable for much longer. Go back and read through the thread and start doing some research.

Ok, so, the plot thickens.

Since the last post, my small debt has disappeared off of my credit report completely without any further action (I just pulled a new one tonight). Apparently their confusion over my identity culminated in them giving up. Score one for the home team.

Now, the other, bigger debt. I received no response of any kind from the debt collector on the larger debt - we'll call them Company A. No report of a judgment, no appearance of garnished wages, no calls or response letters, nothing. However, a couple days ago, I DID receive a brand new collections attempt from a completely different company that seems to be related to the same debt - they claim to represent the same original creditor as Company A. We'll call this new arrival Company B.

So, Company A has been completely silent since my original debt validation letter. They still show up on my credit report, though. The amount they're looking to collect is north of $9000. Company B has now also appeared on my credit report. The amount THEY'RE asking for is about $2000, AND if I pay within a month they'll discount it down to about $1150.

Now, putting aside the fact that I haven't heard poo poo from Company A, my guess is that they sold some or all of my debt to Company B (I'm leaning towards some, otherwise they would show up on my credit report as a Closed Account, no?). From what I've read this is a pretty common practice, and my guess is paying off Company B will have literally zero effect on Company A's balance or attempts to collect from me. I realize it's impossible to say with any certainty if I'm right, but am I probably in the ballpark here?

Regardless, I'm gonna send a debt validation letter to Company B and see what I get back.

As for the potential judgment against me from Company A, I'm going to call the clerk of courts where I lived at the time tomorrow morning and see if I can find out any further info on that before proceeding further with anything against Company A.

Weirder and weirder.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I posted in this thread a while ago, about a debt collector. You guys helped me out and I sent off the proper paperwork, to tell them to gently caress off; well months later and they are back with proof that I owe them money. They sent me the hospital bills, what do I need to do now? The bill is from 2008, at a hospital in WA State, and I live in Arizona now. I'm pretty sure because of the age of this bill now, they cannot collect on it, but i'm not 100% on that.

March 4th, 2011 is when I sent the letter to them, demanding proof.

[edit]
Forgot a detail, when I checked my credit report in march, because of this debt, the debt was not on there at all. Is that important? Will it show up if I don't pay?

I should also point out that the bill does not specifically state what I owe. I mean, it is a huge list of things and no where on it does it say "you didn't pay for this, this and this."

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 4, 2011

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

I posted in this thread a while ago, about a debt collector. You guys helped me out and I sent off the proper paperwork, to tell them to gently caress off; well months later and they are back with proof that I owe them money. They sent me the hospital bills, what do I need to do now? The bill is from 2008, at a hospital in WA State, and I live in Arizona now. I'm pretty sure because of the age of this bill now, they cannot collect on it, but i'm not 100% on that.

[edit]
Forgot a detail, when I checked my credit report in march, because of this debt, the debt was not on there at all. Is that important? Will it show up if I don't pay?

I should also point out that the bill does not specifically state what I owe. I mean, it is a huge list of things and no where on it does it say "you didn't pay for this, this and this."

What do you mean by huge list of things? Like details about what you got treatment for, or just general line items like "Room - $500, medicine - $200, etc..."?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dvgrhl posted:

What do you mean by huge list of things? Like details about what you got treatment for, or just general line items like "Room - $500, medicine - $200, etc..."?

Sorry for not being more clear; It was a detailed list of what I got treatment for, lists medications, procedures that were done, etc. It covers a 3 day stay in the hospital in WA (Evergreen Hospital).

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 4, 2011

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I said come in! posted:

[edit]

First off I'm not an expert, medical billing is slightly different, yadda yadda.

Is it an actual bill, like an invoice that would be sent to you, or does it look more like a computer printout or something that you as a customer/patient would never see? Because if it's the latter, that's not proper validation. They can't just say "You owe X amount, pay up." The site design is crap, but this page outlines what proper validation is pretty well under the "Debt Validation Strategy" section:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

You can fire off another letter to them letting them know this is not satisfactory and you still want proper validation. Also, this could count as a collection attempt without validating, which is a violation of the FDCPA.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would say it's definitely an invoice. It's just 3 pages of what was done, given, and what it cost.

I'll go look up what I should say in my letter that states this isn't proof.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Sorry for not being more clear; It was a detailed list of what I got treatment for, lists medications, procedures that were done, etc. It covers a 3 day stay in the hospital in WA (Evergreen Hospital).

There were some posts in this thread a while back dealing with medical collections and HIPAA violations. Someone might chime in with the info to point you in the right direction, but it would probably be worth searching for. But from what I understand, it is a violation of HIPAA to share specific medical treatments to collection agencies.

EDIT: reading up more on it, I'm confused. There seems to be some people who say the hospital could in this instance release that info to the CA, and others who say they still can't go that detailed. You'll probably need to research this more carefully, and again hopefully someone that has gone through this can chime in for you.

dvgrhl fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 4, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dvgrhl posted:

There were some posts in this thread a while back dealing with medical collections and HIPAA violations. Someone might chime in with the info to point you in the right direction, but it would probably be worth searching for. But from what I understand, it is a violation of HIPAA to share specific medical treatments to collection agencies.

That's what i've been gathering too. If you were to look at these documents, you would see exactly what medications I was given, the dosage, and what treatments were given and the cost of all of them.

I'm gonna have my dad help me tomorrow with getting a hold of a lawyer for free advice, because i'm not sure how to do that. I've never done that before.

The collection agency is called CBCS, and from what i've seen of them from Googling around, they are shady. They deal primarily with medical bills.

[edit]
I think I found how I can nail them. In my letter back in March, I asked them to provide the following;

1. Agreement with their client, that authorizes them to collect this debt.

2. agreement that bears signature of the alleged debtor where he agrees to pay the debt.

3. complete payment history on the account, that proves I owe the amount they wish to collect.

None of that was given to me today in the mail.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 4, 2011

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My husband has an old credit card account that defaulted and was sent to a debt collector. He was given the credit card when he was 18, ran it up to its £6,000 limit within a year and then paid the minimum back for the last 10 years with the total never actually going down because of the charges and interest. So he stopped paying it, it got passed to a debt collector and they kept calling him at work and home until he agreed to make repayments of £30 a month.

I think we should stop paying because at this rate it'll take 18 years to pay off and all that time will be live in his credit record thing. Obviously though it's hard to dispute as he agreed to make token repayments so I drafted this letter...

quote:

Dear ....,

As you are aware I have stopped payment to your company.

I dispute that the account attributed to me is an accurate representation of any monies that may be owed to your client.

Please forward to me a copy of all documents relevant to this account so that I may reference against my own records. In addition to this I also require a copy of any documents signed by me agreeing to charges levied on my account.

I wish to keep written records of all correspondence relating to this matter and therefore am not willing to discuss my disputed account on the telephone.

Regards,

Is this going to just cause more trouble than it's worth? For the record he will have more than paid off the original amount he spent on it - the monthly repayments were about £200 - £250 and he was paying that for a decade.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

753951 posted:

So I sent a letter to the collections agency that's trying to collect on the three school loans my ex-wife refuses to pay.

That's what I sent them, one each for the three loans, referenceing the account numbers they had for me. All three green card came back and show they were signed on the 22nd of August. I have not received any mail or phone calls from them since.

I counted 30 calendar days out and that's the 21st of September.

Am I in the clear now? I checked my credit report before I sent the letters, and I saw that they hadn't reported on it yet. This is like the fourth or fifth debt collector, and they sent the initial "You have 30 days to respond otherwise we will consider this debt valid" message and I got my response in within that 30 day window.

Is this private or federal? Did you consolidate with your spouse (terrible idea, btw) or are you a reference? If it's federal and you aren't a comaker, endorser or did a spousal consolidation you're in the clear. If you are a comaker, endorser or did a spousal consolidation, you should probably contact a lawyer to get your ex wife to pay her loans. If you're on good terms with her you could do a forbearance and get her to sign it with you, if it's a spousal consolidation, but if you're not, it's lawyer time.

If it's a private loan, I have no idea.

Also, I work in customer service for a student loan company, and if no one minds, I have no problems with lurking both here, and in the student loans thread.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Ok good news (I think), they didn't (?) verify my Bally membership! So I sent a debt dispute letter requesting the following:

(1) the amount of the debt;
(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;
(3) Provide a verification or copy of any judgment (if applicable);
(4) Provide a copy of any contract and/or documentation WITH SIGNATURE (if applicable);
(5) Proof that you are licensed to collect debts in the State of California

They only replied with a financial statement that shows each of my monthly payments for gym membership to Bally, and shows where I stopped paying and the remaining "balance". However the reason I had been unable to quit Bally a few months ago is because I was under a contract! So since they did not send me a copy of my signed contract like I asked, what is my next step? Do I tell them to cease and desist and point out that no ticky, no laundry? They also in the letter did not provide proof that they were licensed to collect debts.

Also there's 4 (potential) violations of the FDCPA in their calls to me, should I mention these in my reply?

For reference, here's a photo example of the first page of what they did send me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Alright I spoke with my father who's an attorney but not currently practicing (yes I could have asked him in the first place instead of posting here, but I wanted to hear different opinions) and he advised me to write another letter demanding a copy of the contract with signature. So here's what I've drafted, give it a read and tell me if something is missing or unclear or what.

quote:

Dear Alliance One,
I am writing in response to your letter dated October 5th, 2011. In my previous correspondence I requested a copy of the contract WITH SIGNATURE. The return receipt was signed by an S. Bumpus.

You have failed to enclose a copy of the contract WITH SIGNATURE that binds me to any such debt. I have discontinued using Bally Total Fitness and only a contract WITH MY SIGNATURE can enforce a “debt” of this nature. I have never signed a contract with Bally Total Fitness and am not liable for this debt. Though the debt is small, I will not be strong armed into paying for a membership I am not obligated to have.

I demand you provide me with a copy of the contract WITH SIGNATURE immediately. If you fail to do so, this debt is unenforceable and any reporting on my credit to reflect said debt will constitute harassment.

Reporting information that you know to be inaccurate or failing to report information correctly violates the Fair Credit Reporting Act § 1681s-2. Should you pursue a judgment without validating this debt, I will inform the judge and request the case be dismissed based on your failure to comply with the FDCPA.

Do not contact me by telephone about this debt, I will only discuss it in writing.

Bili Rubin
Jun 29, 2005
I got my answers elsewhere.

Bili Rubin fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 19, 2011

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
What a great thread! I have an... interesting predicament of my own, now. I have an initial credit history not dissimilar from the OP's. I ended up filing bankruptcy, though. It was mentally more beneficial for me to turn that mess into a clean slate--and I hate fighting with strangers, and checking the voice mails was really stressing me out.

Since then, my credit has been improving steadily. All of my non-student-loan debt went away in the BK... I consolidated ALL of my student loans, and have been making payments on them for several months. I'm totally in the black and after a couple years of living on cash, I'm getting legitimate credit card offers in the mail now :)

But, the bad news from left field: I have a debt collector now, who is trying to collect on a $700 student loan. I had originally defaulted on that loan (just that one, it was a Perkins, none of the other loans through Sallie Mae defaulted). But I consolidated it! I don't actually owe this debt. I'm repaying it, right now, along with the rest of my loans! I made super-sure to include the defaulted loan in my consolidation. I didn't rehab it since I didn't want to wait 6 months to consolidate (my other loans would have defaulted, too, if I had tried to rehab the Perkins).

I've already given the guy a verbal C&D on phone calls to my home or work numbers. And I explained the situation--I do not owe this freaking debt! I included it in my consolidation, and he needs to gently caress off! So, where the hell do I go from here? Can I just contact the credit bureaus and have them take it off as a fraudulent claim?--I know TransUnion is reporting it, I haven't checked the others since my free reports for them are not available yet this year. Is there anything stopping him from just putting it back on there? Can I send him a letter with documentation showing that the loan was paid in full by the federal consolidation dudes, and that I'm current on my consolidation payments? Will he pay any attention to that, or just try to keep scumming money out of me?

The collection agency is the General Revenue Corporation, if that is relevant.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I've read most of this thread but I am still fuzzy on some things. What exactly does a dunning letter look like? Is a dunning letter one of the many letters I get from my creditors telling me that they want me to pay my debts?

I moved to a different state and failed to update my new address with my creditors. I have three creditors that have sold the debts to collections agencies but I haven't received anything by mail at my new address in this new state. My understanding is that I must be served at my home if they intend to seek a judgement from a court, am I correct?

Thanks for the clarification!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

martyrdumb posted:

I've already given the guy a verbal C&D on phone calls to my home or work numbers.

The first thing you need to do is send this collection agency a letter, explaining that you will only deal with them by mail and to not call you. Ask them for proof that they are legally allowed to collect on the debt and proof that the amount they want from you, is correct. There are example letters posted in this thread that will get you going in the right direction with this.

Also might be helpful to just scan any documents you have showing that you don't owe them this money, and send copies.

In the mean time, if they do call you, the only thing you want to say is that you will only deal with this by mail. Also, warn them that you will report it next time, if they call you at work. They are not allowed to do that at all and someone correct me if I am wrong here, i'm not entire sure, but you can sue them for that.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Woodsy Owl posted:

I've read most of this thread but I am still fuzzy on some things. What exactly does a dunning letter look like? Is a dunning letter one of the many letters I get from my creditors telling me that they want me to pay my debts?

I moved to a different state and failed to update my new address with my creditors. I have three creditors that have sold the debts to collections agencies but I haven't received anything by mail at my new address in this new state. My understanding is that I must be served at my home if they intend to seek a judgement from a court, am I correct?

Thanks for the clarification!

A dunning letter is a term that covers any letter attempting to collect a debt. They usually start off sweet and forgiving and get meaner every letter until they threaten your first born.

Re service: see a lawyer. You must be served but if they can't find you they can serve you by publication. Service by publication means that they put an ad or statement in a newspaper or some trade publication that says "HAY WOODSY OWL WE ARE GONNA SUE YOU DOODZ". Once they've served you by publication they can get a default judgement against you (assuming you don't answer the suit).

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

A dunning letter is a term that covers any letter attempting to collect a debt. They usually start off sweet and forgiving and get meaner every letter until they threaten your first born.

Re service: see a lawyer. You must be served but if they can't find you they can serve you by publication. Service by publication means that they put an ad or statement in a newspaper or some trade publication that says "HAY WOODSY OWL WE ARE GONNA SUE YOU DOODZ". Once they've served you by publication they can get a default judgement against you (assuming you don't answer the suit).

That's lovely, so I have to watch the Public Notices section of all the newspapers in Utah and Montana?

Thank you very much for responding.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Woodsy Owl posted:

That's lovely, so I have to watch the Public Notices section of all the newspapers in Utah and Montana?

Normally some lawyers who need clients will read the public notices section and try to contact people served this way, hoping to generate business. I wouldn't count on it though, and there is to guarantee that a lawyer will be able to find you even if he bothers looking.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Woodsy Owl posted:

Not really, there is usually a publication designated by the court. It's a pain in the rear end, better to just update your address.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Relevant court case from Western District of NY.
Technically not binding outside that district, but the rule of law is such that you would be foolish not to apply it in other courts if you came to litigation. I'll bold the relevant parts for those of you all like TL;DR.

NY Law Journal posted:

Sterling v. Mercantile Adjustment Bureau, 11-CV-639A
U.S. District Court, Western District

11-CV-639A

District Judge Richard J. Arcara

Decided: October 17, 2011

DECISION AND ORDER

I. INTRODUCTION

Pending before the Court is a motion by defendant Mercantile Adjustment Bureau, LLC for a more definite statement pursuant to Rule 12(e) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure ("FRCP"). Plaintiff Paul Sterling has accused defendant of violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ("FDCPA"), 15 U.S.C. §§1692–1692p, and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 ("TCPA")1 by calling him persistently about a debt that he never incurred. Defendant asserts that it has searched its records for plaintiff's name and does not find him there, and wants to conduct an additional search of its records using plaintiff's cellular telephone number. Plaintiff refuses to disclose his cellular telephone number until discovery for fear of spoliation—namely, a fear that defendant will
alter its records once it has plaintiff's number to show that it never called him. Defendant insists that it cannot frame a meaningful response to the complaint without plaintiff's cellular telephone number.

The Court has deemed the motion submitted on papers pursuant to FRCP 78(b). For the reasons below, the Court denies the motion.

II. BACKGROUND

This case concerns allegations that defendant has called plaintiff numerous times to collect a debt owed by someone whom plaintiff does not know. According to plaintiff, defendant began calling his cellular telephone around March 2011 to collect a debt owed by someone named Angie Jay. Plaintiff neither owes any debt to anyone nor knows anyone by the name of Angie Jay. Plaintiff has explained this more than once to defendant, and yet defendant has used an automated dialing system to call plaintiff multiple times per week and often multiple times per day about this debt.

Frustrated with defendant's alleged refusal to stop calling him, plaintiff commenced this case by filing a complaint on July 28, 2011. The complaint contains two counts. In the first count, plaintiff accuses defendant of violating multiple sections of the FDCPA by calling him numerous times and harassing him as a result. In the second count, plaintiff accuses defendant of violating the TCPA by using an automated telephone dialing system to call his cellular telephone number without his consent. Plaintiff seeks actual and statutory
damages, along with costs and fees. Relevant to the pending motion, plaintiff sets forth in his complaint that defendant has called his cellular telephone number numerous times but does not disclose what that number is.

Defendant filed the pending motion in response to the allegations in the complaint. According to defendant, it searched its records in response to the complaint and could find neither plaintiff's name nor Angie Jay's name anywhere. To make one last check of its records to see whether it ever dialed plaintiff's cellular telephone number, defendant wants to know what the number is to perform a records search by number. Defendant asserts that it cannot frame any meaningful response to the complaint without knowing from a final and definitive search of its records whether it ever dialed plaintiff's cellular telephone number. Accordingly, defendant seeks a more definite statement from plaintiff that includes that number. Plaintiff opposes the motion out of fear of spoliation. According to plaintiff, disclosing his cellular telephone number prior to discovery would give defendant an opportunity to alter its records to make those records look as if it never called him. For now, plaintiff has offered to help defendant search its records by providing his address, the last four digits of his Social Security number, and names of individuals that defendant mentioned when calling his cellular telephone. Plaintiff has promised to disclose his cellular telephone number later during discovery, once he has received a complete and unaltered copy of all calls that defendant made during the time period in question.

III. DISCUSSION

"A party may move for a more definite statement of a pleading to which a responsive pleading is allowed but which is so vague or ambiguous that the party cannot reasonably prepare a response." FRCP 12(e). "Courts must keep in mind, however, that the FRCP abolished bills of particulars and that the phrase 'cannot reasonably prepare a response' means more than 'we prefer to have this information sooner than later.'" Patrick Dev., Inc. v. VIP Restoration, Inc., No. 09-CV-670, 2010 WL 447390, at *2 (W.D.N.Y. Feb. 2, 2010) (Arcara, J.). "A motion pursuant to Rule 12(e) should not be granted unless the complaint is so excessively vague and ambiguous as to be unintelligible and as to prejudice the defendant seriously in attempting to answer it. The rule is designed to strike at unintelligibility rather than want of detail and … allegations that are unclear due to a lack of specificity are more appropriately clarified by discovery rather than by an order for a more definite statement." Kok v. First Unum Life Ins. Co., 154 F. Supp. 2d 777, 781–82 (S.D.N.Y. 2001) (ellipsis in original) (internal quotation marks and citations omitted).

Here, defendant's willingness to conduct more searches of its records does not render the complaint unintelligible so as to meet the standard under FRCP 12(e). The complaint alleges, in straightforward fashion, that defendant called plaintiff to collect a debt supposedly owed by someone named Angie Jay. After an initial investigation of that allegation, defendant apparently has concluded that
neither plaintiff's name nor Angie Jay's name appear in its records. That information is enough to frame a denial of plaintiff's allegations that it can change later without penalty, if necessary.
Cf. Patrick Dev., 2010 WL 447390, at *2 ("Consequently, defendant has not shown how the complaint is unintelligible or what prejudice—i.e., what loss of rights in later proceedings or at trial—it will suffer if it answers or otherwise challenges the complaint in its current form."); INA Underwriters Ins. Co. v. Rubin, 635 F. Supp. 1, 6 (E.D. Pa. 1983) (denying a motion for a more definite statement, where plaintiff alleged building defects in a housing development and defendants wanted plaintiffs to "identify by name the homeowners, or by address the defective homes in question"). That information also distinguishes the principal case that defendant has cited, Coren v. Mobile Entertainment, Inc., No. C 08-05264, 2009 WL 264744 (N.D. Cal. Feb. 4, 2009). Coren addressed a situation in which a search by telephone number was the only way to conduct any investigation of the plaintiff's allegations. Under these circumstances, the Court denies defendant's motion.

IV. CONCLUSION

For all of the foregoing reasons, the Court denies defendant's motion for a more definite statement (Dkt. No. 7). Defendant shall answer the complaint within 20 days of entry of this Decision and Order.

SO ORDERED.

1. Pub. L. No. 102-243, 105 Stat. 2394 (codified as amended 1 in scattered sections of 47 U.S.C.).

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Robo-caller that calls me about every 6 months on my cell phone fishing for me to call back, worth it to pursue under FDCPA? I don't have any debts in collections, that's why I know they're fishing.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My girlfriend got a lab bill that her health insurance didn't cover and didn't tell us for $500 about 3 months ago. I sent a debt validation letter the day after I got the dunning letter. I just got the validation back, 3 months later. It looks legit, am I still on the hook even though it took them 3 months instead of the 1 month I requested?

e: on further inspection, the lab invoices that they used in this validation are dated three days ago, which I guess means they're reprints and not copies on the original. Is this at all relevant? Am I being scammed?

Goatman Sacks fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 21, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

My girlfriend got a lab bill that her health insurance didn't cover and didn't tell us for $500 about 3 months ago. I sent a debt validation letter the day after I got the dunning letter. I just got the validation back, 3 months later. It looks legit, am I still on the hook even though it took them 3 months instead of the 1 month I requested?

e: on further inspection, the lab invoices that they used in this validation are dated three days ago, which I guess means they're reprints and not copies on the original. Is this at all relevant? Am I being scammed?

Just curious, who's the debt collector? Me and you are in a very similar situation.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

Just curious, who's the debt collector? Me and you are in a very similar situation.

American Financial Credit Services, inc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

American Financial Credit Services, inc

Darn, I have CBCS. They are very shady.