Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I want to make my own greek yogurt at home but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone help me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

I want to make my own greek yogurt at home but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone help me?

Make it out of milk and culture or just by draining regular yogurt?

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT

Here is how *I* do it. There are a bunch of methods out there.

Scald milk (I usually use goat or full fat cow) bring down to 90 degrees (just time) and mix in culture (I use a small pot of fage) Put into a well insulated container, wrap it all up with towels and blankies and stick it in a warmish place for +/- 12 hours. In winter you might want to add in a heating pad on low.

After the 12ish hours I check it by GENTLY cutting a spoon through it. If I like the thickness I then begin straining it. To get to the super thick greek consistency I usually have to strain twice. First straining I use cheesecloth in a colander, second straining I usually use cheesecloth again and hang it for an hour or two. You don't want to strain it enough to make yogurt cheese out of it, just nice thick yogurt.

edit: IF you want more specific directions, these look decent http://www.happysimpleliving.com/2011/03/06/make-your-own-homemade-greek-yogurt/

Aery fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 2, 2011

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Not The Wendigo posted:

I'm braising something in yogurt and, to the surprise of absolutely no one but me, the yogurt broke down into liquid. Tasty, but it's got a bad grainy texture. I was thinking of whisking everything then stirring some cornstarch into the crockpot. Would this work? Should I wait until everything is cooked before trying to sauceify the braising liquid? Is there a better way of fixing this? Thanks!

For next time, try whisking a some cornflour and egg yolk into the yoghurt before hearing it up. That's what I do with yoghurt based soups and things and it works well. Even then you still need to be careful not to let it heat above a very low simmer.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Ok so I bought something called mock chicken legs. It is some kind of beef/pork meat sausage on a stick breaded in a kind of corn flakes. It takes exactly like chicken. Is this wrong?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

rcman50166 posted:

So it's basically anything then. Alright. Well thanks then, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Well, it turned out well this time. The recipe said to mix the flour and yeast but instead I put the yeast into the wet ingredients when it cooled to 110 degrees. It activated perfectly.

mediaphage posted:

It's probably the first. It's very unlikely you overkneaded it or let it proof in too hot of a place. Too cold of a place is possible, but I'm guessing you know better than that. How old was your yeast? What sort of yeast was it?

The yeast (the first time I did it, when it didn't rise) wasn't more than a few days old out of the supermarket. I think it was just a matter of activating the yeast by directly exposing it to wet ingredients first before introducing the flour.

Anyways, have a photo for your help:

garrodd
Oct 6, 2010
I want to make http://goonswithspoons.com/Cinnamon_Rolls_-_Don%27t_go_to_Cinnabon but I don't have any milk. Can I substitute it for water and still end up with tasty cinnamon buns?

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

PretentiousFood posted:

Cornstarch would definitely help, and it would be best to wait. Keep the heat as low as you can until then. When you're ready, make a cornstarch slurry with a bit of cream, and add it to the sauce. Use a stick blender if you can.

This worked beautifully. Thank you!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

garrodd posted:

I want to make http://goonswithspoons.com/Cinnamon_Rolls_-_Don%27t_go_to_Cinnabon but I don't have any milk. Can I substitute it for water and still end up with tasty cinnamon buns?

No.

For a more complete answer, you want a liquid that has some fat and sugar and water all mixed into one delivery vessel. Milk has it all. If you just had water you'd have to do some weird chemistry to add in the fat and sugar content. Weird enough that it's not worth doing, go and buy some milk before making this recipe.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
It'll be fine actually, just use about a ounce less water. I make bread using milk or flour as the mood hits me using basically the same recipe.

2% milk is about 90% water, 2% fat, 3% protein and 5% sugar. In a cup of milk that's a teaspoon of fat, a teaspoon and a half of protein, and two and a half teaspoons sugar. The recipe calls for butter or margarine, and for flour by the cup, neither of which are precise enough for a few teaspoons of stuff to really matter.

An extra 10% water will make the dough noticeably slacker, though, which is the only thing to watch out for.

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

It might brown just a biiit less because of the missing protein, so if they're a bit pale when the timer goes off be sure to check for doneness anyway.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Are bitter almonds delicious? I love raw almonds, and their sweetness is one of the things that I enjoy a lot, but bitter is good too. I'm really curious what they're like, though if I get I strong recommendation to try them, I'm not sure what I'll do. It looks like their sale is illegal in the US and they're not available through commercial means. Obviously I'm not planning on eating enough to get poisoned.

vv: thanks

Mortley fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 7, 2011

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You could try apricot kernels - they're pretty similar to bitter almond, I believe, and are readily available online and in health food stores. Of course if you eat too many you could get cyanide poisoning. Just don't eat a bunch at once - the wikipedia page mentions that a bag from Pakistan was tested to have more than twice the lethal dose of cyanide if eaten all at once, and it was recalled.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rcman50166 posted:

Well, it turned out well this time. The recipe said to mix the flour and yeast but instead I put the yeast into the wet ingredients when it cooled to 110 degrees. It activated perfectly.

The yeast (the first time I did it, when it didn't rise) wasn't more than a few days old out of the supermarket. I think it was just a matter of activating the yeast by directly exposing it to wet ingredients first before introducing the flour.

ಠ_ಠ

Well, I'm...glad...it...turned out.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

rcman50166 posted:

Take him to Detroit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pr0k posted:

Take him to Detroit.

For those who need help with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09GtnWdBjc

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Michael Ruhlman just posted a thing on his blog about making yogurt.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Thank you for the yogurt help! I'll be attempting to make my own later.

Now I have another cooking question. I am trying to make crispy green bean chips. However the only recipe I found simply resulted in half-burnt half-soggy green beans. Does anyone know of a recipe that'll work?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I have a question about preservatives.

Store bought food pretty much always includes them, sometimes multiple preservatives. This is obviously to extend the shelf life or in some cases forgo immediate refrigeration. Recently I've made a few things that I was concerned about not being able to use up fast enough (it's just me and my wife) such as my own hot sauce and marinara sauce, and I was wondering if it's practical or safe to attempt to add something like sodium benzoate to extend the shelf life. Also, is it likely to affect the taste in the amounts needed? How would I figure out how much to use?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Store bought food pretty much always includes them, sometimes multiple preservatives. This is obviously to extend the shelf life or in some cases forgo immediate refrigeration. Recently I've made a few things that I was concerned about not being able to use up fast enough (it's just me and my wife) such as my own hot sauce and marinara sauce, and I was wondering if it's practical or safe to attempt to add something like sodium benzoate to extend the shelf life. Also, is it likely to affect the taste in the amounts needed? How would I figure out how much to use?

Have you ever looked into canning? You can reeeeeally increase the shelf life of tons of products by properly processing them. Here is a thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This would be a good post for a chat thread, but, here we are:monocle::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This would be a good post for a chat thread, but, here we are:monocle::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

I wonder if that would work in a traditional blender?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
My parents made mayo in the blender ever since I was little. Works great.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
You can also do it in a bowl with a cake mixer. I always add a little bit of oil at at time, because that's how I learned to do it. Not sure how much that matters.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I think the sarcasm got lost somewhere.

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

Powdered Toast Man posted:

You can add sodium benzoate at up to 0.1% in foods with a pH below 4.2. It's useless in foods that aren't acidic enough. Here's the usage information from the Food Additives Databook:

quote:

Usage level: 0.5% max.; 0.1% max. in food; 0.1% (in distilling materials). Most effective in acid foods.
Effective versus yeasts and moulds, food-poisoning bacteria, spore-forming bacteria. Not effective
against many spoilage bacteria. pKa is 4.2, so should be used in foods with pH less than 4.2. Levels for
general use: Carbonated beverages 0.03–0.05%; non-carbonated beverages 0.1%; beverage syrups
0.1%; fruit drinks 0.1%; fruit juices 0.1%; purées and concentrates 0.1%; cider 0.05–0.1%; salted
margarine 0.1%; pie and pastry fillings 0.1%; icings 0.1%; soy sauce 0.1%; mincemeat 0.1%; salads
0.1%; salad dressings 0.1%; fruit salads 0.1%; pickles 0.1%; relishes 0.1%; fruit cocktails 0.1%; olives
0.1%; sauerkraut 0.1%; preserves 0.1%; dried fruits 0.1%; jams 0.1%; jellies 0.1%; fish 0.15–0.35%;
dipping solutions 0.15–0.35%; ice glaze 0.15–0.30%

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wafflesnsegways posted:

You can also do it in a bowl with a cake mixer. I always add a little bit of oil at at time, because that's how I learned to do it. Not sure how much that matters.

That's why this method is so awesome. You typically need to do it slowly in order to get the emulsion going. They are saying that because of the way the stick blender slowly pulls the oil down, you get don't need to do it like that. I think a regular blender would would mix it all up too quickly and just give you an oily mess.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's why this method is so awesome. You typically need to do it slowly in order to get the emulsion going. They are saying that because of the way the stick blender slowly pulls the oil down, you get don't need to do it like that. I think a regular blender would would mix it all up too quickly and just give you an oily mess.

Nah, restaurants make it in a vita-mix by just putting the water phase in, cranking it, and then dumping the oil in relatively quickly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Nah, restaurants make it in a vita-mix by just putting the water phase in, cranking it, and then dumping the oil in relatively quickly.

Well I've had it fail in a regular blender before, so it's not necessarily that simple for the average home cook.

edit: pr0k's mom

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

There are few things in life I hate more than cooking, but given that it's cheaper than restaurant food, I have no choice. Is there a good website strictly for easy and cheap recipes?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's sort of a crummy attitude isn't it? If you go into an activity hating it from the start you're going to be miserable.

You might as well have fun.

CooksIllustrated.com costs money but has lots of simple recipes, if you'd prefer you could buy the Joy of Cooking (it's a book) and it has a ton of standard simple recipes.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Chemmy posted:

That's sort of a crummy attitude isn't it? If you go into an activity hating it from the start you're going to be miserable.

You might as well have fun.

CooksIllustrated.com costs money but has lots of simple recipes, if you'd prefer you could buy the Joy of Cooking (it's a book) and it has a ton of standard simple recipes.

I find cooking time consuming, boring and unrewarding since I'm not good at it. I do it out of necessity. I'm not trying to poo poo on your guys' hobby though. To each their own and all that :)

Thanks for the help. I know most people would just tell me to check out allrecipes or whatever but a lot of those recipes call for over a dozen ingredients. Too many for this guy!

sponges fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 4, 2011

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I taught myself how to cook because I was in college and tired of eating out or going to the dining hall. I'd bet a lot of people are the same. Starting slow is good, you'll get better and better at making simple things and then you'll be able to pick up more advanced stuff.

What do you like to eat?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Chemmy posted:

I taught myself how to cook because I was in college and tired of eating out or going to the dining hall. I'd bet a lot of people are the same. Starting slow is good, you'll get better and better at making simple things and then you'll be able to pick up more advanced stuff.

What do you like to eat?
At this point it's more like what I can afford. It's been a lot of raman, mac and cheese, pinto beans, lentils, corn bread. Poor people food. Which is why I'm here.

I realize this is one of the most common questions here so sorry for that.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Douche Bag posted:

At this point it's more like what I can afford. It's been a lot of raman, mac and cheese, pinto beans, lentils, corn bread. Poor people food. Which is why I'm here.

I realize this is one of the most common questions here so sorry for that.

Some of the greatest food in the world is "poor people food". Peasants elevated osso buco to amazing levels while kings feasted on flavorless filet mignon. Bouillabaise is made from fish heads and old tomatoes and all sorts of other scraps. Hell, look at practically everything from New Orleans.

Borscht? Beets and beef scraps and cabbage are cheap as hell, but with the right technique you can make an amazing soup.

Chili is probably your friend here (and don't give him crap about beans or no beans). You can serve it on its own, or over pasta, or over rice, or with toast points. Learn to go to ethnic markets where you can get chiles and herbs and spices and other flavor-enhancing elements for next to nothing.

Consider something like salade niçoise when you want to get elegant for cheap. Canned tuna and fresh greens, plus an egg and a small potato and etc.

Learn how to make eggs awesome. Boiled, poached, fried, omelets, French toast, bread pudding, etc. Buy day-old bags of pastries and bread from a bakery for rock bottom prices. Might be a bit tough, but it will be better for you than the dollar bag of Wonder Bread.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
One of the more difficult things to do at first is building up a pantry, but the good thing about it is that after that happens, you can do a lot of things and the spices will be at hand.

I would suggest focusing on a single culture's food to start. That way, you don't have to buy a bunch of new spices and ingredients every single time you make something new. If you go from Mexican to Japanese, to Indian, to French, you are going to spend a LOT of money buying things for the first time because each food culture has its own necessities that the others don't use.

Italian and Mexican are good international styles to start with, and their recipes are generally very affordable until you want to get fancy and go for top quality imported ingredients and such.

Also, if you have Mexican groceries nearby, their "El Guapo" brand bagged spices are a lot cheaper than the bottles of McCormick at your local American grocery store.

Keep it simple. I don't have to tell you that but there are a lot of recipes floating around out there and the simpler, cheater recipes are often very good to most people. Go fancy and "authentic" when you have the time, money, and taste bud experience to appreciate it. Everything doesn't need to be made from scratch. Subbing canned or bottled things here and there is ok to start with and it will normally still save you a good amount of money compared to eating out, and a lot of time too.

If you are very stretched for cash and time, make big batches of things that handle freezing well. Soups, chillies, curry, stews, and such tend to be good for this. Make a big batch, have some for dinner and the next day, then freeze in portion sized containers. Mix it up and plan ahead so that you're not eating beef stew straight for a week.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 4, 2011

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ug. I just farted and it smelled like masa. :(

I think I've got niximalization down, but I can't quite get the tamale dough right. Maybe I need to be grinding it finer? I'm using a Victoria corn grinder.

Also seeing many different receipes for tamale dough... some almost no fat, some 2-1 masa to fat ratio. Very big differences in workability.

Anyone ever make tamales in here?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I never use fat in my tamale dough. 2-1 might be fine, nut it's going to vary based on how hydrated your masa is already, etc. It should be a bit sticky, but workable if you have wet hands.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Do you whip the dough until it passes "the float test"?

Seems impossible to make it float without some fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Do you whip the dough until it passes "the float test"?

Seems impossible to make it float without some fat.

I just mix it until combined? I've never done a float test or anything like that.