Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Double posting to remind people the CC is tomorrow.

8pm server. We need moneys. Also if one more person wants to judge, speak up. We're fine with 4, but 5 would be good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

8pm server. We need moneys. Also if one more person wants to judge, speak up. We're fine with 4, but 5 would be good too.
I'll try and show up, if I don't get dragged off to do something. Considering the chaos last time I don't think I'll judge, but I can certainly pretend I can. And toss another 50g on the pot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Judging's different for this one. It's just 5 categories, so the judges just debate in Supergoon chat.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Aphrodite posted:

Sounds like a perfect time for me to come back. Jezebel only has about 15G to throw on the pot (either money was a lot lower than I thought it was or she got drained when she got converted to Silver), but given that I don't plan to attack anything but chairs, tables and sofas in this game anymore I'm not really concerned with the amount of cash I have on hand.

Surprisingly, my laptop runs CO fine despite running a few other things like poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's probably the Silver cap, yeah. I'm not sure what it is being a FIRST WAVE LIFETIME SUBSCRIBER and all, but the cap isn't very high.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Silver cap is 250G.

Aphrodite, there should be 200G in Myst components in your inbox.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yep, I got it.

October calender is up.

Week 1 is a Tights costume pack.
Week 2 is "Halloween Trick or Treat Goodie Bags" in the C-Store, and also begins the Archetype rotation program.
Week 3 is Unarmed review, plus 2 Unarmed archetypes (One DPS, one tank.) Plus the new mid-level Vibora Bay arc.
Week 4 is a Halloween costume pack and Devices. Plus an update on Blood Moon for Halloween. No word so far on if the update remains though.

I think I posted it before, but the Archetype Rotation thing is that for one week, one of the premium archetypes will be free to Silvers. At the end of that week it changes, and you can respec into the new archetype for free, or respec into one you already own.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Heh, the day of our costume contest the server shits itself and chat goes down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Heh, the day of our costume contest the server shits itself and chat goes down.

Everyone else in the channel looks fine, I think it might just be you.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Oh poo poo two new unarmed archtypes?

gently caress

Yes

I wonder if there is any info on them yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CC went well this time. Asimo still didn't show up.

I think someone got screenshots, so stay tuned.

Now we need ideas for a gimmick to do next time.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

CC went well this time. Asimo still didn't show up.

I think someone got screenshots, so stay tuned.

Now we need ideas for a gimmick to do next time.

Entire cost was worth it for the angry troll at the end.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Asimo still didn't show up.
God loving dammit. :ughh: I need a scheduler or something.

ColHannibal posted:

Entire cost was worth it for the angry troll at the end.
And now I'm definitely regretting it. :smith:

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I've got screenshots of some of the winners. Someone else cover me here. :ohdear:

Lightning round winner (Can't remember the name)

Thunder Dog, Doctor Doodlebug and Hu-Man (who is not a winner)

'A Lice in Wonderland' and 'The Gimp'.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I miss getting plastered and puking on non-robots with Hu-Man.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

I think this dude was called the Incredible Egg, can't remember what he won. I think he was the only other winner.

Rocket Raptor (a goon, thus unable to win the contest, a drat shame since he should have won every category :swoon:) and my awful Youmu Konpaku I scrabbled together before the contest.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

quote:

Hey guys -

I'm making the big powers checkin for the Unarmed pass right now, but we're still waiting on a handful of fixes from other people before it can go up. Robobo is hopeful that we'll be able to kick off a build around 9pm, so it might not make it up until tomorrow morning, depending on how long the build takes. Of course, it's also possible the build servers will explode and it won't be able to go up all weekend... but let's hope that doesn't happen.

In the meantime, here is an excerpt from the patch notes:
The Unarmed review is here! This is phase 1 of the PTS push, which currently includes many of the changes to existing powers, as well as 6 new Unarmed specific powers, and 2 new Shared Martial Arts powers. For this first pass, we have not hooked up any custom advantages to the new powers and are still using placeholder icons.
Unarmed: Vicious Strikes: (New!) This new power is an alternative Energy Builder for Unarmed Martial Artists.
Unarmed: One Hundred Hands: (New!) A new Tier 1 maintained attack that deals damage to targets in front of you with a rapid flurry of fists.
Unarmed: Backhand Chop: (New!) A quick backhanded strike, this Tier 2 power can Interrupt your foe.
Unarmed: Elbow Slam: (New!) This Tier 2 attack causes you to leap up into the air and slam down on you opponent with your elbow, attempting to Disorient them.
Unarmed: Leaping Uppercut: (New!) With this new Tier 3 single target attack, you leap up while punching your foe, which can Knock them up into the air.
Unarmed: Open Palm Strike: (New!) A new Tier 3 power is a double palm strike that can knock a single target back.
Martial Arts: Rising Knee: (New!) This Tier 2 power quickly strikes your opponent, knocking them off their feet.
Martial Arts: Shuriken Storm: (New!) With this Tier 3 power, you unleash shuriken in all directions while you maintain it.

As usual, once this goes up, we'll be patching PTS as often as we can with additional changes. We are expecting there to be further changes to existing powers that have not yet made it into this build, as well.

Looking forward to the feedback once it hits the PTS!

Man I cannot wait.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

sentrygun posted:

Nice. Shame you had to play the game on your laptop though.

quote:

Unarmed: One Hundred Hands: (New!) A new Tier 1 maintained attack that deals damage to targets in front of you with a rapid flurry of fists.

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

jjac posted:

Nice. Shame you had to play the game on your laptop though.

Eh, didn't really feel like bringing my big rear end desktop to college with me, and I could have had the settings higher, but I'd rather run it lower than higher. If nothing else, I'm just glad CO is low spec enough for my awful video card to allow me to play it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
If I had a wishlist of things I wanted implemented into the game, #1 would almost certainly be

1) game does not sporadically crash when tabbing out.

I mean it's like Cryptic was left behind at the turn of the century or something.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just run it at "windowed maximized"? All the benefits of a window, no appreciable FPS loss, and you can alt-tab whenever you drat well want with no issues.

Seriously why do other games still release without fullscreen windowed modes.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Man, both those AoE maintains sound exactly like what MA desperately needed.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

Unarmed: Leaping Uppercut: (New!) With this new Tier 3 single target attack, you leap up while punching your foe, which can Knock them up into the air.

:raise:

But yeah. Being kick-focused was interesting, but Unarmed was sorely lacking in offense in general, with Dragon Kick and Burning Chi Fist being the only good attack powers in the set (and Burning Chi Fist being kinda ehn compared to its competitors). Adding in a more varied mix lets it simulate more animes martial arts character types better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Proper notes are up for the first Unarmed review pass now.

The patch itself isn't up yet. They're hoping for tonight, but it might not make it.

The majority of UA powers, plus the shared MA powers, have had their damage variance lowered to 5% (from 10%.) BCR has also had its heal variance lowered.

Thundering Kicks is getting a 20% DPS boost, as well as an energy cost drop, and the dodge buff lasts 8 seconds at all ranks.

Dragon Kick's stun gets stronger with rank, and gets some flashier animation for higher ranks.

Burning Chi Fist's tap cost has been reduced, the DoT now 50% pierces resistance, and tapping the power refreshes the DoT.

Way of the Warrior's dodge/avoidance now starts lower, but ranks up.

PTS patch is up now. Some comments on the new powers:

The new EB is a simple alternating punch. It is much better than the jumpy anime one we currently have.

The Hundred Hands thing is not Honda's chop from Street Fighter. It kind of looks like you're using the enemy as one of those bouncy boxing punching bags. When you rank it up, a bunch of phantom fists are added. It looks pretty cool.

There is no rising to the rising knee. It's just a straight knee to the crotch.

The elbow smash is a simple leap and smash. Not very flashy.

Backhand Chop's animation is similarly underwhelming.

Uppercut completes the underwhelming hat trick. It uses the standard punch charge animation (Like Burning Chi Fist) and then you just make a little hopping uppercut. I was hoping rank 3 would make you spin like a Shoryuken, but nope.

Palm Strike on the other hand, is 100% a hadoken. RoBoBo even said that its advantage is going to be one. Knocks them back very far, too.

Shuriken Storm looks stupid. Very stupid. It is, however, pretty drat good. Mechanically it's Lead Tempest, except it does 1/3 more damage. Shuriken Storm is 100% hit inside 15 feet and 50% outside, whereas Tempest is 75% inside 30 and 50% outside (Both up to 50.)

None of the animations are final though.

There's also a new travel power skin called Scarab Tunneling. It's not selectable so that's all we get for now. However, there's no travel power scheduled for October so it's most likely one of the Become Device travel powers.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 2, 2011

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Taking numbers into account, Hundred Fists is about on par with Chainsaw (except it hits a wider area) and Ego Blade Frenzy (But hits less targets) I think Chainsaw can manage more damage outright, but Fists will do two hits every half second, which can do a lot of damage. Provided you're not running Elite and fighting a boss with defiant or invuln.

I think the T3s need a bit of beefing up though, They both have potential but they're kind of weak on damage. However, Open Palm currently doesn't apply knock resist on taps, so you can get endless fun of knocking junk over.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Allatum posted:

Taking numbers into account, Hundred Fists is about on par with Chainsaw (except it hits a wider area) and Ego Blade Frenzy (But hits less targets) I think Chainsaw can manage more damage outright, but Fists will do two hits every half second, which can do a lot of damage. Provided you're not running Elite and fighting a boss with defiant or invuln.

I think the T3s need a bit of beefing up though, They both have potential but they're kind of weak on damage. However, Open Palm currently doesn't apply knock resist on taps, so you can get endless fun of knocking junk over.

Given how dodge chance works, Hundred Fists looks like it would completely rape most enemies on elite. Multiple hits in a single tick means that those hits are still going to do a lot of damage, even on dodge. In addition, hell, I'm almost certain hundred fists energy cost is substantially lower than that of chainsaw.

The thing about Open Palm is that the tap ignores knock resist, so even on full-stacked knock resist, your enemy is going to repeatedly fall down until you run out of energy or they die. Considering how unstoppable has an energy return with knockback...

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 2, 2011

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
It will probably be fixed in the next PTS update. Telekinetic Burst was doing a similar thing with its knockdown when it was added and they changed that. I'm hoping both it and the uppercut get some damage boosts, though. If you compare Open Palm Strike to other tier 3 single targets, it's a bit underwhelming unless you want a Haymaker-esque knock that costs less, and has a shorter charge.

Edit: Looks really cool though. I guess I just like Hadoukens.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Bluhman posted:

Given how dodge chance works, Hundred Fists looks like it would completely rape most enemies on elite. Multiple hits in a single tick means that those hits are still going to do a lot of damage, even on dodge. In addition, hell, I'm almost certain hundred fists energy cost is substantially lower than that of chainsaw.

The thing about Open Palm is that the tap ignores knock resist, so even on full-stacked knock resist, your enemy is going to repeatedly fall down until you run out of energy or they die. Considering how unstoppable has an energy return with knockback...

Yeah hundred fists will be a great counter for dodging. Plus it is awesome as hell. I wonder what the advantage for it will be..

Sadly I cannot see Open Palm staying knockdown crazy.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

randombattle posted:

Sadly I cannot see Open Palm staying knockdown crazy.

Can't have players get ARGENT or VIPER abilities now, can we?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jan posted:

Can't have players get ARGENT or VIPER abilities now, can we?

I don't know why we have not gotten that drat lasso power set not in the form of a lovely item.

Also, the ghost of a robot inhabiting a robot with ghost peers is a ghost robot not a robot ghost or a robot ghost robot.

Cindare
Dec 20, 2006
So I picked this up recently. I'm playing with a friend of mine, and we are basically a duo setup with a Grimoire and a Behemoth. We're in our mid teens right now and I'm looking forward a bit on how to spend advantage points.

*Uppercut or Haymaker? Is the tap interrupt on Uppercut valuable, or is the high damage on Haymaker better?

*Demolish - is this worth ranking up? It looks like something mostly oriented to boss fights, and between the two of us boss fights don't last very long.

*Which Grimoire offensive power(s) should I rank up? Compared to the Behemoth offensives, there's nothing that quite stands out as a big fat "wow" to me except maybe Sigils of the Primal Storm.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Depending on how you do it, haymaker and demolish are redundant. Demolish is a good setup or single target attack, and Uppercut provides a good setup for it.

As for Grimoire, they're more about area control and support. Lightning sigils are good to rank up, and they get a decent AoE heal option somewhere along the line.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Cindare posted:

So I picked this up recently. I'm playing with a friend of mine, and we are basically a duo setup with a Grimoire and a Behemoth. We're in our mid teens right now and I'm looking forward a bit on how to spend advantage points.

*Uppercut or Haymaker? Is the tap interrupt on Uppercut valuable, or is the high damage on Haymaker better?

*Demolish - is this worth ranking up? It looks like something mostly oriented to boss fights, and between the two of us boss fights don't last very long.

*Which Grimoire offensive power(s) should I rank up? Compared to the Behemoth offensives, there's nothing that quite stands out as a big fat "wow" to me except maybe Sigils of the Primal Storm.

- This is a tough one to answer, because with demolish, you don't really need either: Uppercut's used to knock enemies which are not resistant to knocks down, while Haymaker's use is the opposite, for dealing magnificent tap damage to those which are. Demolish, on the other hand, completely ignores the whole knock business altogether and just does really good damage. In either case, I'd take Uppercut, since it's the more manageable of the two in terms of knocking away.

- Demolish is going to be your main source for single-target damage. Given that ranking probably isn't as crucial for anything except your main damage dealers, I'd recommend ranking Demolish up completely.

- Skarn's bane is going to be the big attack you eventually get. Compared to other things like Eldritch Blast or Pillar of Poz, you are going to be using that attack the most of all in AoE battles, so get that ranked up! Sigils can also be a good option to rank up, but when the time comes that there isn't enough of an attack gap to summon them, Skarn's bane will the the go-to attack.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

On my Might character, I grabbed Demolish and Haymaker, ranking up the latter but only getting the special advantage for the former. Demolish's damage is alright and can carry you until you can grab tier 3 powers, but Haymaker is simply far better damage overall, and the only reason to use Demolish afterwards is to charge it for the damage debuff to make Haymaker stronger. Uppercut's completely redundant here, since while you can "combo" it with Haymaker for two Enrage stacks, you're probably getting those easily enough with Roomsweeper/Havoc Stomp/Enrage itself/etc. without needing to worry about some big complex rotation.

But that's mostly for freeform, though. As a Behemoth... definitely, still 100% Haymaker. It's in the same niche, but higher-tier and more damage than Uppercut. And on those, they'll probably die too quickly to worry anyway, and will get similar effect from Haymaker's massive knockback. You only really need to rank up one of Demolish or Haymaker, though.

And yeah, as a Grimoire? Rank 3 Skarn's Bane ASAP, since it'll be what you're using in every fight afterwards, forever. The Grimoire (and Sorcery in general) is pretty horrible when it comes to attacks though, sadly.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

sentrygun posted:

Rocket Raptor (a goon, thus unable to win the contest, a drat shame since he should have won every category :swoon:) and my awful Youmu Konpaku I scrabbled together before the contest.

Glad you liked Rocket Raptor, I'll have to start using him for other people's CC's since my "good" (in my opinion) costumes never seem to win anything.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Bluhman posted:

Burning Chi Fists/Fists of Righteous Flame, then Hundred Fists. Four bonus ticks of damage per second, plus Burning Chi DoT, plus normal damage for each attack? Cleanup in Aisle 4.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

delfin posted:

Burning Chi Fists/Fists of Righteous Flame, then Hundred Fists. Four bonus ticks of damage per second, plus Burning Chi DoT, plus normal damage for each attack? Cleanup in Aisle 4.

Yeah this is what I was using on the test server and daaamn does it rock. All I have to say is

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calender's been updated with what Archetypes are available each week.

First week (13th-19th) is The Savage, which is Bestial Supernatural.
Second (20-26) is The Void, Darkness.
Third (27-02) is one of the new Unarmed archetypes. It hasn't been named yet, nor does it say whether it's the melee or DPS one.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I think I want to make mecha Nixon a pet build, but the only starting point I know is to mass pets, any thing else I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, it depends on what you want them to do.

In the world of controllable pets, if you're looking for healing, pretty much the only one you'd want would be Support Drones, jacked up to Rank 3. I haven't used the Radiant Summoning one myself, but I've read that it's somewhat derpy in practice.

If you want them to actively draw attention away from you, the Ritual of Arcane Summoning pet has Challenging Strikes (take the adv that lets you leave the summoning circle) and Tyrannon's Familiar generates threat when it attacks.

Outside of that, it's pretty much up to personal taste and YOUR IMMERSION as to what fits and how many. Maintaining a controllable pet jacks up your energy costs each time, so it's up to you if you want a buddy or a herd. Also consider the uncontrollable pets (Summon Shadows seems apropos for Nixon, calling up assistance from the Silent Majority), which are easily disposable but which also poof after ~20 seconds and need to be resummoned.

Also, buffs like Inertial Dampening Field and Aura of Radiant Protection and Aura of Primal Hobo Stench get passed onto teammate pets as well, iirc.