Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Anyone have a good tutorial on painting blood and guts? I have an undead mini that I'd like to look better than just a splat of Blood Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Flipswitch posted:

Unprimed they look very similar though, ie rather cheap looking. I can't comment how good they actually are as I've never bought them.

A question to UK goons too, any ideas on locations I can pick up sheets of plasticard ? I'm drawing a bit of a blank on this one.

This is a good question. It seems hard/expensive to get over here. Ebay's where I usually go.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Oxford Comma posted:

Anyone have a good tutorial on painting blood and guts? I have an undead mini that I'd like to look better than just a splat of Blood Red.

Blood Red, highlight with VMC Rose Brown.
Then cover with a mix of 2:1:1 Red Gore : Scorched Brown : Black thinned with gloss varnish.

This probably could have done with more varnish in the mix to make it a bit thinner.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 4, 2011

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
So that 2:1:1 mix is more like a wash?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, sort of.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This is a good question. It seems hard/expensive to get over here. Ebay's where I usually go.

Do you guys have "for sale" or "garage sale" signs? That's what everyone around here uses... :P

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
A buddy of mine who I havent really talked to in like 8 years just posted this on his facebook:

Apparently he still paints miniatures

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
and he has become more powerful than you could possibly imagine

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Well drat.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
We might as well throw our brushes away, nothing's gonna top that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Three thousand guitars
They seem to cry
My ears will melt
And then my eyes

Cities on flame
Cities on flame
Cities on flaaaame

With rock 'n' roll

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

A buddy of mine who I havent really talked to in like 8 years just posted this on his facebook:

emptyquote this forever

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Oxford Comma posted:

RJS's looks pretty good; if you want something a bit more fresh and less fecund though, pick up some Taymia transparent red (and a synthetic nylon brush so you don't ruin your good ones). Apply a little to the area you want gory. Mix in very little black paint, then apply in a controlled manner to give the blood a bit of variation. Now, your Taymia will start to get gunky on you if you leave it to sit for too long: that's fine, as it makes for awesome coagulated blood effect. Just don't let it get too goopy, or you'll end up with what looks like Jell-o on your model.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

For other blood stuff, GW has a pretty cool article with a couple of different ways to do it. Really depends on the effect you're after.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

PaintVagrant posted:

Noisiest marine

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Welp, made my first post on my blog, but not much in the way of content which I hope to get to tomorrow. Here it is though!

http://awfulpaintjob.tumblr.com/

I'm taking advice towards layout, I have no idea what's ugly and what isn't.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Quotin' the holy poo poo outa this. Can't wait for a new Chaos 'dex.

e: Please tell me this dudes name is Beelzeboss.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Noisiest marine

"You got a guardsman and you want 'em gone, but you ain't got the guts
He keeps bombarding you night and day, enough to drive ya nuts
Get on the 'Vox, enough is enough, it's time ya ditched Khorne
For a fee,
I'm happy to be,
Your Slaaneshi Lord!"

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
anyone know some good goblin models to use/convert for chariots? I could use some aracknarok crew, but I'd like them to look less forest gobliny. I'm trying to put together plans for custom chariots and I'm drawing a blank here.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Recursive Expanse posted:

anyone know some good goblin models to use/convert for chariots? I could use some aracknarok crew, but I'd like them to look less forest gobliny. I'm trying to put together plans for custom chariots and I'm drawing a blank here.

If you don't care about money and/or your army being tournament legal, gamezone makes a pretty good night goblin crew.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

Welp, made my first post on my blog, but not much in the way of content which I hope to get to tomorrow. Here it is though!

http://awfulpaintjob.tumblr.com/

I'm taking advice towards layout, I have no idea what's ugly and what isn't.

The layout is actually pretty decent. Especially because you are starting with the boats and water and stuff. I am following you with my IrishManGeek tumblr that will have 20 reblogs one day, and 0 for the next three. So I go in spurts. Ya that sounds right.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

This is pretty much exactly what Warhammer 40k is and it rules.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The skulls on those wings are so badass.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
A friend of mine just sold his custom spider defiler thing on ebay. Looked pretty cool...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-4...5#ht_500wt_1413

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So I was going off a tutorial on bolterandchainsword for magnetizing space marines and when I took the 1/8" drill (by hand) to my space marine torso, it just split the drat torso back into its halves. I was using Devcon contact cement which I am already sick of, so do you guys have recommendations on:

a) the type of glue for assembling the torso
b) the type of glue for attaching magnets to plastic
c) the technique for getting magnets in marine torsos?

Also, I'm using 1/8"x1/16" because it was recommended in the 40k thread but it does feel a little thick in terms of drilling deeper chunks out of my marines. Is 1/32" thickness going to be too weak? What do you guys use?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Red Robin Hood posted:

A friend of mine just sold his custom spider defiler thing on ebay. Looked pretty cool...

This is cool.

Also would be cool if the original model was not a defiler but a soulgrinder. That way he could put the spider legs on that demon body and still have 2 minis

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Any tips for a newbie painting blond hair for the first time? So far my cunning plan involves GW Sunburst Yellow and Badab Wash, but I'm afraid it will just end up looking something more like a man-tulip.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Badab is a bad idea.

My last few attempts at blonde were Iyandan Darksun highlighted up to bleached bone, with a gryphonne sepia wash, although that might be a bit bright for some people's tastes.

(Bad pic here)

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

sassassin posted:

Badab is a bad idea.

My last few attempts at blonde were Iyandan Darksun highlighted up to bleached bone, with a gryphonne sepia wash, although that might be a bit bright for some people's tastes.

(Bad pic here)

This is a good method for a really strong blond.

If you're going for a sandy blond use;

Snakebite Leather basecoat > Highlight Bubonic Brown > Highlight Desert Yellow > (Optional) Highlight Desert Yellow + Skull White [for natural, healthy, shiny hair.]

In other news, here is the new Fantasy Orc Warboss I'm working on;

Da Warboss on Wyvern - Grimfang Da Strong using:

BOrc on foot blister's face and shield
Gorbad's arms and torso and Azhag's Legs
Extra bits came from the Stonehorn (Spear and Weapon bundle)
Boar Boyz (Bandola of Skullz)
VC Skeletons (Bosspole flag)
Ogre Bulls (Spear haft, Big sword on the back and the little sack of lunch)

Feedback and constructive criticism as always welcome ;)

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 4, 2011

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Thinking of doing a squad like this:

Not sure how to get a realistic knitted effect on the hat though. Also are there any dreadlock heads around anywhere? Maybe Space Wolves?

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

Creepy Goat posted:

Not sure how to get a realistic knitted effect on the hat though. Also are there any dreadlock heads around anywhere? Maybe Space Wolves?

I am usually wholly against the "stoner" motif on anything, but for some reason that actually looks pretty good. Its probably because even in pink, you know a space marine ruins dreams.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Irish Legend posted:

I am usually wholly against the "stoner" motif on anything, but for some reason that actually looks pretty good. Its probably because even in pink, you know a space marine ruins dreams.

I would replace the leaf with my chapter logo, but the rest of the model fits with my chapter theme in a comical sort of way. I think keeping the leaf would be a bit too far as I do still want them to retain a bit of a serious edge.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

Any tips for a newbie painting blond hair for the first time? So far my cunning plan involves GW Sunburst Yellow and Badab Wash, but I'm afraid it will just end up looking something more like a man-tulip.

The last blondie-bear I did was Tausept Ochre, thin coat of Graveyard Earth, wash with Devlan Mud, highlight with GE, drybrush Bleached Bone, wash with Grypphone. Gives a really kind of flat dusky blonde.

I'm a big proponent of Tausept. I use it to basecoat RED. :toot:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Creepy Goat posted:

look closer at the green, it's regularly spaced light colored brush strokes on a dark background. Easy Peasy it looks like if you have a steady hand.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Cross post from the oath thread:

Post 9-11 User posted:

Finally finished this one, properly, and took decent photos. Now to catch up on the rest.

I decided to try the rupee effect (like A Link To The Past) before picking a model. It doesn't work with a curved sword, the dimensions are too complex for my skill level. I'll try it again with a straight sword.

I've got some half-assed, last-minute completed oaths to work on, I'll post results when they're done.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Post 9-11 User posted:

Cross post from the oath thread:

I've got some half-assed, last-minute completed oaths to work on, I'll post results when they're done.

That looks amazing. I really hope I can get anywhere near that good at painting.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I need some advice on improving my painting. Below is a zombie I painted for Ambush Z. Aside from a few FoW minis, this is my first attempt at painting. Its not awful. I think it'll work as part of a teeming horde of the living dead. But it could be a lot better.

My biggest issue with it is that it appears pretty flat. Even with the Devlan Mud on the clothes and hair, and Thraka Green wash on the skin, its still lacks depth. Is this something that could be improved by highlighting? If so, how do I do this? Just add some white paint to whatever paint I'm using a drybrush it on?

I'd also like the blood to look a little better, particularly on the shirt. Finally the holes in the shirt aren't shadowy-ish enough. Suggestions?

(Mandatory apology for cell-phone pic.)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Flipswitch posted:

Unprimed they look very similar though, ie rather cheap looking. I can't comment how good they actually are as I've never bought them.

A question to UK goons too, any ideas on locations I can pick up sheets of plasticard ? I'm drawing a bit of a blank on this one.

You still in the Diff? Antics (down the road from GW) and that new modelling shop in St Davids sell it. The st Davids place that I really can't remember the name of is loads cheaper, but Antics has some cool textured stuff

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Oxford Comma posted:

I need some advice on improving my painting. Below is a zombie I painted for Ambush Z. Aside from a few FoW minis, this is my first attempt at painting. Its not awful. I think it'll work as part of a teeming horde of the living dead. But it could be a lot better.

My biggest issue with it is that it appears pretty flat. Even with the Devlan Mud on the clothes and hair, and Thraka Green wash on the skin, its still lacks depth. Is this something that could be improved by highlighting? If so, how do I do this? Just add some white paint to whatever paint I'm using a drybrush it on?

I'd also like the blood to look a little better, particularly on the shirt. Finally the holes in the shirt aren't shadowy-ish enough. Suggestions?

(Mandatory apology for cell-phone pic.)

I think it is because you lack highlights. Washing provides shadows, but you need highlights to make the details stick out. Adding plain white works, but it is not perfect. I prefer to add some bleached bone, you can try that if you have it. Otherwise go with the white, it's your first attempt, and for a beginner it looks pretty boss already.

Drybrushing on highlight on something like the zombie's skin or shirt is actually quite hard. It is a technique that is much better suited for things like chainmail and fur, where you have a highly textured area. Put the model under a strong light source and see which parts are brighter than the others. Paint those areas with the lighter shades.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

lilljonas posted:

I think it is because you lack highlights. Washing provides shadows, but you need highlights to make the details stick out. Adding plain white works, but it is not perfect. I prefer to add some bleached bone, you can try that if you have it. Otherwise go with the white, it's your first attempt, and for a beginner it looks pretty boss already.

Thanks. So I should take whatever color I'm using as a base layer, add some Bleached Bone and then drybrush?

If I want the holes in the clothes to be more shadow, should I do the same thing but add some black or grey and paint into those areas? Or just drop in some black wash after I paint?

• Locked thread