Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Sumixam posted:

Do you play at the cube? I ask because of your avatar and the league tier names.

e: C league champs '09 :smug:. We had one UM club player on the team who was needless to say, really good.

e2: This is actually the highest league (there is no B or A league)

I do. I've only been playing for roughly 2 years though so I'm not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
Just got back from a scrimmage. One of our laziest players somehow ends up on a breakaway and goes wide towards the net with the puck on his backhand. The goalie slides across fast on his knees expecting some sort of deke, to watch the puck saunter into goal at half a metre per second off the backhand :hfive:

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

lizardking posted:

I do. I've only been playing for roughly 2 years though so I'm not very good.

Cool man. Keep at it, let me know if you want some 1 on 1 tips or whatever (I've played my whole life). Also maybe you're familiar with the Blackbears in D2, formerly D3. I am friends with those guys.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
It's probably good that I missed the discussion about the shin guards and sizes cause I'm a major outlier at 60 inches tall and wearing children's Warrior pads.

I did used to wear them inside the tongue but have switched since becoming an adult, but I think it is because I realized that shinguards were always too big for me and wearing them inside the tongue meant they interfered with the pants, which are invariably too long. You guys have no idea...

On another note, I've actually been kinda having fun playing roller. I think it is helping my hands a lot - I am a defensive minded quick player with good hockey sense who has always had a bit of a bricks-for-hands problem since I was little. Hopefully roller hasn't beaten the defensive and hockey sense parts of that out of me while improving the hands part. ;)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Finally got around to putting together a pegboard to store my gear. I no longer have to dump them on a shelf in the garage where it takes 5 days to dry out. Cost me ~$70 for the board and all the mounting materials.

I also found out that every wall in my garage is nowhere near level! No wonder why my builder is out of business now...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I drape all my stuff on the chairs of the dining room table when I get home from the rink.

Pegboards and being organized is for nerds. :colbert:

I do admire your dedication though, even giving your green biscuit a place to dry out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Finally got around to putting together a pegboard to store my gear. I no longer have to dump them on a shelf in the garage where it takes 5 days to dry out. Cost me ~$70 for the board and all the mounting materials.

I also found out that every wall in my garage is nowhere near level! No wonder why my builder is out of business now...

I like the dedication to airing out your gear, but cut the excess off of your blade holders. The extra length can cause them to come loose when you walk. Or you can get some Terrys Soakers and live the cushy life.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I throw all my poo poo on the basement floor and arrange it in front of a dehumidifier and set the dehumidifier on full.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I lay it out nicely in my garage, but haven't gone the full peg-board route yet. In time...

I'm about 80% sure our goalie leaves his stuff in his bags. I don't even skate near him anymore because his poo poo is rank. I think it's some kind of psychological thing he's doing to the other team. I hope.

In other news: 4 assists on a 11-3 victory on Sunday. Had a clear shot from the slot that I didn't raise enough and it wound up going off the goalie's glove and wide. Feeling pretty good about the assists though.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
I air mine out on the fire escape before sealing it in a big rubber bin.

Ahh, city life.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 3, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I strung a clothesline up in my spare room to hang my hockey stuff up. Doesn't seem too stinky to me but I guess an impartial observer might disagree.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I drape all my stuff on the chairs of the dining room table when I get home from the rink.

Pegboards and being organized is for nerds. :colbert:

I do admire your dedication though, even giving your green biscuit a place to dry out.

I used to dump it all in the living room. The two drawbacks to that were A) my living room smelled like death and B) it gave a nice target for my puppy to piss on/in. I was forced to cram it all on a shelf in the garage until now.

I'm an engineer, so I like nerdy things. :colbert:

Not only did I give my green biscuit and stick tape a dedicated place to dry out, I also did for my dog as well, compliments of dad:

Verman posted:

I like the dedication to airing out your gear, but cut the excess off of your blade holders. The extra length can cause them to come loose when you walk. Or you can get some Terrys Soakers and live the cushy life.

Those are my old skates that I never use anymore, but yeah that's a good idea. Plus, who walks around in skate guards anyway? Doesn't your rink have a floor safe to walk on?

cenzo posted:

I'm about 80% sure our goalie leaves his stuff in his bags. I don't even skate near him anymore because his poo poo is rank. I think it's some kind of psychological thing he's doing to the other team. I hope.

I don't think our goalie's gear has been washed since the 90s. I wore his gear for a scrimmage a few months back, and it was disgusting. The glove and blocker were all slimy. I don't think I got the smell off of me for at least a full week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Those are my old skates that I never use anymore, but yeah that's a good idea. Plus, who walks around in skate guards anyway? Doesn't your rink have a floor safe to walk on?

I know several people who refuse to take their guards off until they're stepping on the ice.. even with rubber floors. Lots of rinks have metal seams in between rubber mats (especially in doorways), maybe they're worried about stepping on one of those and don't want to ding their blades up.

I don't bother myself, but I have seen it.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Our dining room is where our gear is. Goalie + Forward = two giant bags of crap, a regulation sized net, a shooter tutor, some extra older gear, a shitload of jerseys, a bag full of pucks, and at least a dozen sticks.

I have no idea where to air mine out since I moved here. Second floor apartment with no balcony. Only played once so far though, so I guess it's not a problem yet.

The cats love it because it smells gross and cats are gross and like poo poo that smells gross.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Sumixam posted:

Cool man. Keep at it, let me know if you want some 1 on 1 tips or whatever (I've played my whole life). Also maybe you're familiar with the Blackbears in D2, formerly D3. I am friends with those guys.

I think I know a guy on that team. Short guy named Dom, wears glasses and has an equally small asian girlfriend?

As for the airing gear out conversation. I had been laying it all out on the wood floor in between fans and the windows but it will soon become too cold for that. Will probably get one of those gear trees and just let the front closet be entirely dedicated to smelling like hockey gear. City life. I wish I could rent out a locker or something at the Cube. I should look into that.

lizardking fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 3, 2011

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
All gear (for now since its not below freezing yet) everything goes in this entry way room/sun room/mud room/whatever you call it and it hangs up or sits out to try out a bit. NICE!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
what the crap is that tape job

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

amazing, that's what

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's like a bumble bee because he's always buzzing around the net.

Buzz buzz buzzy buzz buzz.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've posted this before, but I just use a plastic shelving unit from Home Depot. It has slots cut out in the shelves which promote airflow, it's big enough for me to lay all of my gear out, and I'm in Arizona, so humidity really isn't an issue for most of the year.

It works well for me, since everything dries quickly, and it's a lot harder to forget equipment when I routinely keep everything in the same place.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You guys are serious business about drying out your stuff. I take about half of my gear and throw it on the floor of my man cave.

I wish I had a garage :smith:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I got this when it was on sale: http://www.hockeygiant.com/wetgearhoceq.html

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Dangerllama posted:

You guys are serious business about drying out your stuff. I take about half of my gear and throw it on the floor of my man cave.

I wish I had a garage :smith:

Although some people view the stanky equipment as a badge of honor, I loving hate it. I don't want to smell bad.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I went from living with my line mate and this:

To living with my fiancee and this:

Stupid women:smith:

On another note; That pic is about 2 years old and most of that stuff has been replaced:whatup:

poser fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 4, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's pretty much the reason I had to get a pegboard setup. She didn't find eating breakfast next to a pile of wet hockey gear too appealing.

Women just don't understand :smith::hf::smith:

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

poser posted:

Stupid women:smith:

On the plus side, the change seems to have netted you about $1000 worth of sticks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mine does.

She says she makes sure to clean off the dining room table on days I go to the rink, so when I get home I have a place to put all my stuff.

Best girl ever.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

xzzy posted:

She says she makes sure to clean off the dining room table on days I go to the rink, so when I get home I have a place to put all my stuff.

I can only conclude from this that you aren't skating hard enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Possibly.

Also, all my gear is less than two months old and has not had time to properly cure. I am a sweaty motherfucker though, so it's just a matter of time.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

You're in a good spot. Just remember the fable about the frog in the pot of boiling water.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Also maybe apply some bleach before you eat off that table.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Green Submarine posted:

On the plus side, the change seems to have netted you about $1000 worth of sticks.

I wish! I buy most of my sticks via packs @ hockey monkey so I have a lot but I usually pay about $100-$130 a stick.

I know we just had our shin survey, so does anyone know the difference between a $50 pair of shins and a $100 pair of shins? Its the last pair of equipment I need to upgrade..

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
My dreams of hockey dominance have been put on hold, apparently I did not sprain my ankle last week, I broke my fibula. 6-10 weeks. :(

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

xzzy posted:

Mine does.

Best girl ever.

Mine plays.

Even better.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I'm always a bit bummed when everyone on our team shows up cause it usually means I have to go back and play D.

Tonight for our first playoff game it was maybe a good thing since our 2nd goal was my D-mate and I breaking out on a 2 on 4 rush and him dumping a perfect pass to me in front of the crease from behind the net for an easy slam-dunk goal.

Meanwhile our forwards put up 50-some shots on the goalie and only managed to get 2 other goals.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

I know we just had our shin survey, so does anyone know the difference between a $50 pair of shins and a $100 pair of shins? Its the last pair of equipment I need to upgrade..

The differences will be in lightness and ventilation. But as far as beer league is concerned, shin guards are shin guards.

If you need a new pair: just go with whatever. The differences are minor.

If you want a new pair: the differences are huge. Think about how many times you pump your legs during a game. 5g becomes a lot of weight at that frequency. You owe it to yourself to give your legs as much of an advantage over the next guy as possible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sba posted:

Mine plays.

Even better.

I bought el wifey some skates last spring, haven't been able to convince her to go out on the ice yet. She's afraid of falling on her rear end and cracking her tailbone. I did get her to lace up once, but not even a garbage can to use for balance was able to get her to step out there.

I'll get her going eventually, but it does seem like the best time to get over the fear of falling is as a kid. I've never been a great skater, but at least I got the tough part out of the way when I thought I was invincible.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

xzzy posted:

I bought el wifey some skates last spring, haven't been able to convince her to go out on the ice yet. She's afraid of falling on her rear end and cracking her tailbone. I did get her to lace up once, but not even a garbage can to use for balance was able to get her to step out there.

I'll get her going eventually, but it does seem like the best time to get over the fear of falling is as a kid. I've never been a great skater, but at least I got the tough part out of the way when I thought I was invincible.

Get her a pair of hockey pants to go with those nice skates. Falling never felt so good.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

#64, Got to play some 3v3 pickup at Consol last night, nothing will compare to skating on ice that is that perfect. Some of the video guys were still working while we were playing and were messing around putting up replays of us playing on the jumbotron, which was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

dms666 posted:

#64, Got to play some 3v3 pickup at Consol last night, nothing will compare to skating on ice that is that perfect. Some of the video guys were still working while we were playing and were messing around putting up replays of us playing on the jumbotron, which was pretty cool.

How did you get to play there?