Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

michelleke
Aug 10, 2002
Okay, I have a 2008 macbook pro, 15", 2.4ghz, 3 months out of warranty. I took it to the Apple store, they tested it and said it was the hard drive, days later they tell me it's actually the logic board and it's not part of the nvidia recall and it will cost around 600aud (577usd) to replace. I explained my problem to an authorised repair centre and they said it would cost 2,000aud to replace the logic board.
Now, if i were to have the logic board replaced this mbp would be acting as my back up, in case my shiny new 2011 mbp went to hell. Is there much else that is likely to go wrong with it and cost me more money?

Does a 2008 macbook pro with a dead logic board fetch anything on ebay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is there anyway to tighten up the hinge in my macbook?

I'm expecting to be in hospital for a couple of weeks next month and that means being on my back the whole time with my laptop (I get loving bored in hospital, so shitposting might be my only escape) on my chest at a 90degree angle.

My old macbook handled this fine, but my new macbook pro seems to have a much looser hinge. Can I get this tightened up a bit?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

michelleke posted:

Okay, I have a 2008 macbook pro, 15", 2.4ghz, 3 months out of warranty. I took it to the Apple store, they tested it and said it was the hard drive, days later they tell me it's actually the logic board and it's not part of the nvidia recall and it will cost around 600aud (577usd) to replace. I explained my problem to an authorised repair centre and they said it would cost 2,000aud to replace the logic board.
Now, if i were to have the logic board replaced this mbp would be acting as my back up, in case my shiny new 2011 mbp went to hell. Is there much else that is likely to go wrong with it and cost me more money?

Your better off getting the applecare warranty extended on the new one. You already under australian law have a 1 year warranty, and the apple genius bars are *very* fast at repairing poo poo (just dont spill water in your mac. They wont even touch it, if you do).

For $2K you can buy a brand new low-end MBP and still have money left over for a couple of pints of beer.

No idea what a busted macbook pro will net you on ebay. Mayne 1-2 hundred?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

mediaphage posted:

If you do find that the glare is a problem for you, both HP and Dell make 27-inch displays with the same panels, and I believe both are finished with a matte surface.

I don't actually understand this. I have a glossy and matte screen side by side. At certain times of day the reflection on the matte display renders it completely unusable - you cannot see anything on the screen at all. The glossy display, whilst it has some reflections, at least remains readable. I posted a photo in the last thread as evidence.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KingEup posted:

whilst

gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

^^^^ Whilst is perfectly valid english in the UK and Australia. "gently caress you" is not particularly valid posting however you boring git.

quote:

I don't actually understand this. I have a glossy and matte screen side by side. At certain times of day the reflection on the matte display renders it completely unusable - you cannot see anything on the screen at all. The glossy display, whilst it has some reflections, at least remains readable. I posted a photo in the last thread as evidence.

I cant read the glossy display on my old macbook at all in bright sunlight. The matte screen on the new laptop whilst a bit faded looking in that light remains perfectly readable.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 3, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
The whole glossy/matte debate really doesn't deserve to get posted about as much as it does. There's nothing anyone on the internet can tell you to sway you one way or the other. It's simply a personal preference thing and you'll just have to try it out yourself and see if you're okay with it. Most people transition to the glossy display just fine, while others seem to really freak out at the slightest reflection. Either it will bug you or it won't. Try it yourself and find out.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

coldplay chiptunes posted:

The whole glossy/matte debate really doesn't deserve to get posted about as much as it does. There's nothing anyone on the internet can tell you to sway you one way or the other. It's simply a personal preference thing and you'll just have to try it out yourself and see if you're okay with it. Most people transition to the glossy display just fine, while others seem to really freak out at the slightest reflection. Either it will bug you or it won't. Try it yourself and find out.

I totally agree, but as someone with a glossy and matte screen, the claim that glossy screens are bad because in some lighting circumstances the screen is hard to read totally ignores the fact that, in some lighting circumstances, a matte screen is harder to read.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

KingEup posted:

I totally agree, but as someone with a glossy and matte screen, the claim that glossy screens are bad because in some lighting circumstances the screen is hard to read totally ignores the fact that, in some lighting circumstances, a matte screen is harder to read.

Both the Dell ultrasharp matte displays and the matte Macbook pro display are easily readable under similar lighting conditions as you have described (I know this from experience). Unsurprisingly, cheap matte TN displays don't perform as well (as your picture shows).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

blah_blah posted:

Both the Dell ultrasharp matte displays and the matte Macbook pro display are easily readable under similar lighting conditions as you have described (I know this from experience). Unsurprisingly, cheap matte TN displays don't perform as well (as your picture shows).

On an unrelated note, the look of the matte MBP has definitely grown on me; I really dig the metal bezel instead of the black/glass action the glossy has going on.

Easiest way to decide is to go to the Fruit Stand and check 'em out. Haven't see a Fruit Stand yet where they don't have a matte MBP in-store for you to check out; most put a matte MBP right next to a glossy so customers have an easy to check.

Regardless of glossy/matte, I would definitely pick up the high-res screen upgrade for the 15"; 1440x900 @ 15" is pretty crappy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Not at the moment, but the question did also suggest the Cinema Display (which is actually now called the Apple Thunderbolt Display).
They still sell the Cinema Display along with the Thunderbolt Display.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

blah_blah posted:

Unsurprisingly, cheap matte TN displays don't perform as well (as your picture shows).

This is an IPS panel. Try again.

LG uses IPS LCDs in a lot of their products: http://www.lg.com/in/tv-audio-video/images/3D_Catalogue_S.pdf

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 3, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

On an unrelated note, the look of the matte MBP has definitely grown on me; I really dig the metal bezel instead of the black/glass action the glossy has going on.
MacBook Air is the best of both worlds. Glossy display (not as glossy as the glass-front Macs, more like the old 2006-era MacBooks) with the sexy silver bezel. That said, I still have no complaints about my iMac's shininess.

The first of probably 6 glossy/matte debates in the month of October. I can't wait.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The first of probably 6 glossy/matte debates in the month of October. I can't wait.

It was never my intention to descend into a glossy vs matte debate. I only wished to highlight that both are unreadable in different lighting conditions.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KingEup posted:

LG uses IPS LCDs in a lot of their products: http://www.lg.com/in/tv-audio-video/images/3D_Catalogue_S.pdf

That doesn't mean it has a good coating. Compare with an Ultrasharp or other quality panel.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

KingEup posted:

Yeah, I have an LG TV with an IPS panel, but most of their monitor line consists of lovely LCD panels so it seemed like a fair assumption. In any event I'm pretty sure that anyone with an Ultrasharp display can easily demonstrate that you can shine a substantial amount of light on it without significantly impairing usability.

As an aside I looked at your picture again and there appears to be a bra hanging in the upper right hand corner.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Unfortunately Apple stores have some of the worst lighting conditions for glossy screens. I was really wary after looking at them in the apple store but once I took the leap of faith and set up my little office it works fine.

Today is especially sunny in the morning so I did throw a piece of dark fabric over my blinds but that's in part due to my imac being perpendicular to the window. I'm sure if it was facing away it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

japtor posted:

They still sell the Cinema Display along with the Thunderbolt Display.

Oh yeah, but i figure it's just a matter of time until they discontinue them.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

illcendiary posted:

My girlfriend's 13" Late 2010 Macbook Air slipped off her bed and crashed to the ground, cracking the screen. She doesn't have AppleCare but I don't think that even matters in this case (aside from hoping for a nice Genius). Anyone know how much this repair normally costs?

Haha, it was free. Freaking Apple.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

illcendiary posted:

Haha, it was free. Freaking Apple.

Was it you or her that went in? If anything ever happens to mine I'm finding the most attractive friend I can get and sending her in there to fluster some poor genius into giving me a new laptop.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

JP Money posted:

Was it you or her that went in? If anything ever happens to mine I'm finding the most attractive friend I can get and sending her in there to fluster some poor genius into giving me a new laptop.

She went in, and yeah I'm fairly sure that had something to do with it :)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

illcendiary posted:

She went in, and yeah I'm fairly sure that had something to do with it :)

Well, I guess we know the cost now.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

JP Money posted:

/derail

This works way too often. A really attractive female friend of mine has the habit of buying running shoes, using them for a couple of months...and then returning them, because they "don't really fit". She always gets her money back. Every single time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jack's Flow posted:

/derail

This works way too often. A really attractive female friend of mine has the habit of buying running shoes, using them for a couple of months...and then returning them, because they "don't really fit". She always gets her money back. Every single time.

I'm not an attractive dude and Apple waived $800 of repairs to my MacBook Air.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
Not a hot girl, free screen repair on iPad 2 after it was smashed on tile.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Sonic Dude posted:

It could be heat, but even if it's a sensor going bad you'd hear the fans go nuts before it shut off. Plus the machines normally go to sleep when they overheat, unless it's "oh dear Jesus" hot.

It could be the power supply (that's what I would lean toward) but for anything that's not blindingly obvious, I usually recommend taking the computer to an Apple Store or an AASP. The parts might be more expensive and you have to pay for labor, but if they ordered a power supply and it ended up needing a logic board or cable or whatever, they wouldn't (shouldn't?) charge you for the power supply that wasn't required.

I already brought it to the Apple Store and they left it running overnight will the CPU's fully maxed and it didn't shut off. I've left it running for a few days at the office as well running full-tilt and it didnt shut down. I'm running memtest on it right now to see if maybe thats the problem. I thought it might be the powersupply as well, but its only shut down once since brining it back from the Apple Store. I'm seriously flummoxed. Any ideas?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
While I don't mind the gloss look the glare is greatly noticeable on my iMac versus my Samsung matte displays. (PX2370, not cheapo poo poo matte panels)

I've grown used to the glare but it is noticeable until the sun goes down any time of day and my windows are facing South. Window is on the wall to the right of the picture. You can see it in the glare on the bezel of the matte display.

Edit: derp I failed first grade and don't know left from right

flyboi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 3, 2011

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Just this morning my cursor has been acting up. I am using a Macbook Pro with an external keyboard. Any time I plug it in now, my cursor wont function properly. I will use my mouse to move the cursor and then the cursor jumps back to its original spot. If I unplug the keyboard, it works fine. I haven't installed or uninstalled anything. This poo poo just started this morning when I hopped on to check emails. Any idea what the hell is going on?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

michelleke posted:

Sometimes parting out a dead MB Pro can get you some money, but depends if you have the time or skills to pull one apart. If the screen is in good condition (no scratches or dead pixels) you can make a bit of money out of it.

As Duck Monster mentioned, you might as well invest the money you were going to put into repairing the old MB Pro into AppleCare for the new one. That's what I've done with mine.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I can only say I wish I had done that with my old one. I managed to kill it about a month out of warranty and the repair cost was enough that I had to do the unthinkable and hit my parents up (which gets a bit sad at my age) for money for a new one, since my finances are aproximately zero this late into my contract, and I need a laptop to keep my head above water till I'm finished and get paid :(

Which is not to say that having a new MBP isnt a loving lovely thing.

michelleke
Aug 10, 2002

You Am I posted:

Sometimes parting out a dead MB Pro can get you some money, but depends if you have the time or skills to pull one apart. If the screen is in good condition (no scratches or dead pixels) you can make a bit of money out of it.

As Duck Monster mentioned, you might as well invest the money you were going to put into repairing the old MB Pro into AppleCare for the new one. That's what I've done with mine.

I think for now i'll just pick it up from the Apple store and think, my brother has experience with opening up his powerbook. Funny you should mention the screen, in march it was replaced, so it's pretty much perfect, same with the optical drive. I'm just gutted it only lasted 3 years and annoyed it couldn't crap itself 3 months ago when the warranty was still good.

My week old 2011 mbp has applecare and upgraded ram. It's kinda awesome. As for a back up machine i'm toying with the idea of a refurbished iMac.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just got my first mac, a 13" MBA. I'm loving it, the only thing I can't find is a sleeve that I like.

I went to the local apple store but they didn't have a great selection so I'm looking to buy one off the internet. Anyone have a personal favorite they could point me towards? I just want the lightest weight, sleekest sleeve possible, all I'll have in it besides the MBA will be the power chord, some earbuds and the usb cable for my iPhone.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Kekekela posted:

I just want the lightest weight, sleekest sleeve possible

Use an actual manila envelope.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.
I'd like to be able to use my 2008 Macbook Pro as a media server. It's been retired for about a year and is mostly in okay condition except for a couple of issues.

Firstly, the battery is shot - the menu bar battery meter doesn't think there's one installed. I know the CPU is being underclocked automatically, but by how much? I'm wondering if it could have an affect if I wanted to, say, transcode shows/movies via Plex (my preferred media server/player at the moment).

Secondly, it appears of the internal fans isn't spinning which is a little worrying combined with the first issue - any idea how much Apple would charge to fix it?

My last concern is, how much extra power is this going to use being on 24/7? I average 7-8kW a day according to my power company, would this increase substantially?

Thanks!

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Posting from my Thunderbolt Display. It's gorgeous and smells like Gods vagina. It is an absolutely gorgeous machine...I only wish it had a superdrive in the side.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SeventySeven posted:

Firstly, the battery is shot - the menu bar battery meter doesn't think there's one installed. I know the CPU is being underclocked automatically, but by how much? I'm wondering if it could have an affect if I wanted to, say, transcode shows/movies via Plex (my preferred media server/player at the moment).

Secondly, it appears of the internal fans isn't spinning which is a little worrying combined with the first issue - any idea how much Apple would charge to fix it?

My last concern is, how much extra power is this going to use being on 24/7? I average 7-8kW a day according to my power company, would this increase substantially?

1. Probably halfish. Mine does. The only way I found this out was booting into Windows since Mac CPU monitoring tools are not great.

2. Not sure but probably doesn't matter with the CPU downlocked. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts turning off suddenly.

3. Not very much, I assume you have a 85W PSU so 85 x 24 = 2 Kwh per day at the very most and that's if you maxed it out 24/7. In practice you wouldn't get anywhere near that, again especially counting the underclocked CPU.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

pipebomb posted:

Posting from my Thunderbolt Display. It's gorgeous and smells like Gods vagina. It is an absolutely gorgeous machine...I only wish it had a superdrive in the side.
Some website took the TBD apart and they basically said: there is so much stuff inside it, it's amazing it is not a full blown iMac. A superdrive would have been really sweet though, especially as they market the TBD as something of a docking station for the Air.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Sorry if this has been answered: can you do dual monitors with a Mac mini? I was just on the Apple Store website to try to figure this out, but I clicked on a link and found the store has been taken down for The Big iPhone Thingamabob today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

The Macaroni posted:

Sorry if this has been answered: can you do dual monitors with a Mac mini? I was just on the Apple Store website to try to figure this out, but I clicked on a link and found the store has been taken down for The Big iPhone Thingamabob today.

It has an HDMI output and Thunderbolt output, so you can do at least two.