Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Pweller posted:

My first guess was that over time it's helped minimize avenues for infection at a stage where access to the vagina isn't really needed.

By far the best theory I've ever heard.

Staying in that neighborhood, what is the mechanism of sexual orgasm? I mean, I understand what happens once orgasm begins (muscle contractions, ejaculation, etc.) but how does the body get there? How does this particular nerve stimulation elicit such a response? What determines the proper amount of said stimulation? Why is there such a huge range in how much stimulation can be received before climax?

I once googled around for this and the best answer I found was a paper saying 'for some reason, no one's asked.' It just seems weird that this purely tactile sensation can, after several minutes and some concentration, lead to involuntary muscle spasms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Photovoltaic cell.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

While we're talking about vaginas...

My girlfriend is a medical transcriptionist and her whole group of MTs is having trouble deciphering something the doctors say. She says it is something to control bleeding during OB/GYN surgery, sounds like "Iowa Solution", and ONLY comes up in OB/GYN reports. Based on the context, she believes it is a trade name.

Any idea what "Iowa Solution" might be? Maybe "Iwasu Lotion"?

I checked the Goon Doctor forum and didn't see a "stupid small question" thread or threads dedicated to OB/GYN or MT. If there is a thread in there where I should be asking, please point me in the right direction.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I was driving through Houston last weekend channel-surfing on the radio, and Lady Gaga's You and I came on. I was a little surprised when it turned out that every instance of "Nebraska" in the song had been replaced by "Houston". It sounded like her voice, but I couldn't say for sure.

Is this a common thing, in other songs and other cities? Do musicians sit in a recording studio with an atlas and sing the relevant phrases with a huge list of different cities?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Captain von Trapp posted:

I was driving through Houston last weekend channel-surfing on the radio, and Lady Gaga's You and I came on. I was a little surprised when it turned out that every instance of "Nebraska" in the song had been replaced by "Houston". It sounded like her voice, but I couldn't say for sure.

Is this a common thing, in other songs and other cities? Do musicians sit in a recording studio with an atlas and sing the relevant phrases with a huge list of different cities?

I don't recall many other songs doing it, but I think it has happened before. But it seems to be a big effort for this song in particular. Check out the relateds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkFhrK9GbRM

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Huey Lewis did it for Heart of Rock & Roll.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Golbez posted:

Staying in that neighborhood, what is the mechanism of sexual orgasm? I mean, I understand what happens once orgasm begins (muscle contractions, ejaculation, etc.) but how does the body get there? How does this particular nerve stimulation elicit such a response? What determines the proper amount of said stimulation? Why is there such a huge range in how much stimulation can be received before climax?

I once googled around for this and the best answer I found was a paper saying 'for some reason, no one's asked.' It just seems weird that this purely tactile sensation can, after several minutes and some concentration, lead to involuntary muscle spasms.

Best explanation that I've read for this came from The Naked Ape.

He hypothesizes that the female orgasm improves fertilization chances by "immobilizing" her temporarily (sperm falls out if she gets up and walks away). Male post-orgasm inertia encourages bonding, affection and later care for the hopefully pregnant female.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Is this a common thing, in other songs and other cities?

I remember that it was quite common a fair while ago to record the song in various languages for overseas release, often requiring for the singer to learn their lyrics phonetically.
P.S. Am I right on this one? My source is a half-remembered radio program several years ago.

Also that Naked Ape theory was mocked in a previously linked article about why women have hymens, and how scientists create bullshit theories when they don't have a clue.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

greazeball posted:

Best explanation that I've read for this came from The Naked Ape.

He hypothesizes that the female orgasm improves fertilization chances by "immobilizing" her temporarily (sperm falls out if she gets up and walks away). Male post-orgasm inertia encourages bonding, affection and later care for the hopefully pregnant female.

That's a theory for the reason for the female orgasm (though the best I've heard for that is, "men have nipples, women have orgasms"). But my question was, why does the orgasm happen in the first place? For either sex? How does tactile sensation get translated, after several minutes, into the brain saying, "k, time for ejaculation?" What makes the brain decide, "OK, that's a sufficient amount of stimulation?" Why does this amount vary from moment to moment? I can't think, offhand, of any similar physiological response.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 4, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there something like Ninite (or an option in Ninite) that will let me specify a root directory for the installation location of all the programs it's batch-installing?

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
What's the best way to get started creating a Wiki website with Wikimedia? Can anyone point me in the direction of good tutorials?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Redkist posted:

What's the best way to get started creating a Wiki website with Wikimedia? Can anyone point me in the direction of good tutorials?

Do you mean the software MediaWiki, or do you mean creating something to join the Wikimedia network?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mak0rz posted:

Can anyone tell me what the gently caress is going on with these Wall Street protests?
What do you think? We're paying more and more for the stuff we use, we're in a recession, how are people gonna voice their frustrations? Protest! Those crowds are protesting against government and corporate America until something is down to lower prices. I like the sentiment, but I don't see any relief coming.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Redkist posted:

Register a domain name.
Install wikimedia.
?
Profit

tutorial = installation instructions for wikimedia.

e: I and/or you may be confusing wikimedia with MediaWiki

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

WillieWestwood posted:

What do you think? We're paying more and more for the stuff we use, we're in a recession, how are people gonna voice their frustrations? Protest! Those crowds are protesting against government and corporate America until something is down to lower prices. I like the sentiment, but I don't see any relief coming.

The only reason nothing is happening is because it's not big enough. Life can still go on almost as if the protest isn't happening. You need a critical mass. If most of your young people are not doing anything but protesting then poo poo will come to a halt. See the other side of the world as an example. They literally had nothing else to do. That was the failure of the regimes there. Or the regime was so egregious in its offences.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Mak0rz posted:

Can anyone tell me what the gently caress is going on with these Wall Street protests?

http://occupywallst.org/about/

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Has anyone here ever tried out that "Receive a free MacBook Pro by filling out a bunch of surveys" website and successfully received one? How difficult was it?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I had a friend who did one of those maybe 4 years ago. She had to sign up for like 20 or 40 different services, spent maybe $100-$200 in non-refundable signup/monthly fees, then had to wait a month or so before going through the hassle of of canceling 40 different services designed to be difficult to cancel. She did end up getting the computer in the end, though, and spend less than half of the MSRP.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Schweinhund posted:

Register a domain name.
Install wikimedia.
?
Profit

tutorial = installation instructions for wikimedia.

e: I and/or you may be confusing wikimedia with MediaWiki

Golbez posted:

Do you mean the software MediaWiki, or do you mean creating something to join the Wikimedia network?

I meant MediaWiki, I'm sorry. Okay, so it's straightforward enough that additional tutorials won't be needed? How much prior knowledge would the guy who made, say, Bulbapedia need of things like usin mysql and php?

Again I am a total newbie who just wants to make a wiki in a similar vein to Bulbapedia but for a completely different topic. I just like their interface/design.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

kimbo305 posted:

I don't recall many other songs doing it, but I think it has happened before. But it seems to be a big effort for this song in particular. Check out the relateds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkFhrK9GbRM

I was wondering "why Nebraska?" as I heard it driving home from work. I'm a bit surprised my local stations aren't using the New York or maybe a Boston version (I live in eastern CT so either would work.)

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Is it possible to make multiple gmail accounts? I see the multiple login thing in the account settings, but it doesn't explain any way to actually have alternate accounts.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Redkist posted:

I meant MediaWiki, I'm sorry. Okay, so it's straightforward enough that additional tutorials won't be needed? How much prior knowledge would the guy who made, say, Bulbapedia need of things like usin mysql and php?

Again I am a total newbie who just wants to make a wiki in a similar vein to Bulbapedia but for a completely different topic. I just like their interface/design.

You might want to check in to getting one set up at Wikia, rather than rolling your own system.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Gils posted:

Is it possible to make multiple gmail accounts? I see the multiple login thing in the account settings, but it doesn't explain any way to actually have alternate accounts.

Yes, just log out and go to the normal registration page. I think I've got six.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Golbez posted:

You might want to check in to getting one set up at Wikia, rather than rolling your own system.

Wikia has too many limitations and isn't what I want. I want to own this website. Thanks for the response, but alas this is not an answer to anything I asked.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SkunkDuster posted:

While we're talking about vaginas...

My girlfriend is a medical transcriptionist and her whole group of MTs is having trouble deciphering something the doctors say. She says it is something to control bleeding during OB/GYN surgery, sounds like "Iowa Solution", and ONLY comes up in OB/GYN reports. Based on the context, she believes it is a trade name.

Maybe ask the doctor after the procedure/operation? I would think it's in everyone's interest that the transcription is correct.

I'm guessing it's used for documentation and training?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Gils posted:

After creating a couple accounts, you can log into one, click on your name in to top-right corner of gmail, and select "Switch Account" in order to log into one of your other accounts/bind them together.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Also, the gmail droid(probably iphone too) app supports multiple logged in accounts you can easily switch between.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also that Naked Ape theory was mocked in a previously linked article about why women have hymens, and how scientists create bullshit theories when they don't have a clue.

With all respect to evolutionary biologists, isn't coming up with bullshit theories and shooting them down basically all they can do? Is there really a large amount of fossil record evidence for dinosaur behaviour theories or is there just not enough to disprove the latest wacky hypothesis?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

greazeball posted:

With all respect to evolutionary biologists, isn't coming up with bullshit theories and shooting them down basically all they can do? Is there really a large amount of fossil record evidence for dinosaur behaviour theories or is there just not enough to disprove the latest wacky hypothesis?

I can assure you that, in the world of science, if anything is referred to as a "theory" it has enough evidence to back it up for scientists to be confident in it. There is no such thing as a "bullshit theory" in science, and certainly there is no scientist that just "comes up" with a theory. Dinosaur behavior, though not preserved directly in the fossil record (aside from brooding raptors or something), can be inferred using what we know about their structures we find in fossils and what they're generally used for, as well as what we know about modern birds. It is actually a solid method.

Bullshit hypothoses or ideas are very real, however.

Even so, hypotheses aren't just "made up" either. Generally there is some reason to believe (based on evidence found in related phenomena) that the hypothesis may be valid. Once enough evidence is gathered to support the hypothesis, it becomes a theory.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 4, 2011

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Mr. Squishy posted:

I remember that it was quite common a fair while ago to record the song in various languages for overseas release, often requiring for the singer to learn their lyrics phonetically.
P.S. Am I right on this one? My source is a half-remembered radio program several years ago.

I don't know about songs but they used to do this for films in the 30s before it became cheaper just to dub over the actors.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Didn't find a Small questions in SHSC so direct me there if I missed it:

dir /a >c:\dirlist.txt

Is there a way to make that output all the files folders and subfolders? It just gives me the list of files in the Top level folder I put in, I would like it to just list every single thing in there.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Athanatos posted:

Is there a way to make that output all the files folders and subfolders? It just gives me the list of files in the Top level folder I put in, I would like it to just list every single thing in there.
Should be
dir /s >c:\dirlist.txt

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Athanatos posted:

/s causes the dir command to recurse through all directories and subdirectories. Add it after /a

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

WillieWestwood posted:

Should be
dir /s >c:\dirlist.txt

Much love.

Worked like a champ.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is there a free internet fax service that's legit, or will they all steal my datas and kill my children?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

I can assure you that, in the world of science, if anything is referred to as a "theory" it has enough evidence to back it up for scientists to be confident in it. There is no such thing as a "bullshit theory" in science, and certainly there is no scientist that just "comes up" with a theory. Dinosaur behavior, though not preserved directly in the fossil record (aside from brooding raptors or something), can be inferred using what we know about their structures we find in fossils and what they're generally used for, as well as what we know about modern birds. It is actually a solid method.

Bullshit hypothoses or ideas are very real, however.

Even so, hypotheses aren't just "made up" either. Generally there is some reason to believe (based on evidence found in related phenomena) that the hypothesis may be valid. Once enough evidence is gathered to support the hypothesis, it becomes a theory.

Sorry for the poor terminology in my post, I really should have read it a bit more carefully. But if you'll humour me, how would an evolutionary biologist go about developing a theory on the purpose of orgasms when there isn't anything preserved in the fossil record to show when they developed or what changes they caused? Don't they have to start with some kind of a guess? Or would that just be totally beyond the pale of science (even assuming there isn't the necessary evidence to disprove it)?

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Making international calls from a US phone while in another country: you still have to dial the country code even if you're in, say, France and calling another number in France, right? And that's because regardless of your location you're still calling from a US phone?

Also, I just spent some time cleaning up my email subscriptions (first world problems ahoy). Is there any reason that some websites have the reaction of "Whoa, you want to unsubscribe? Hmm, well, that's complicated and it might take ten days because we're going to have to get a special team up here to unclick this box on this spreadsheet for us," and others react by just saying "yeah, ok, no problem"? Is it because those ten days to unsubscribe websites just want to get another email or two in, or because of something real?

TremendousMajestic fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 5, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

TremendousMajestic posted:

Making international calls from a US phone while in another country: you still have to dial the country code even if you're in, say, France and calling another number in France, right? And that's because regardless of your location you're still calling from a US phone?

When I used my Japanese phone in America, I just dialed area code and number. I assume that's because it was on the American network.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

greazeball posted:

Sorry for the poor terminology in my post, I really should have read it a bit more carefully. But if you'll humour me, how would an evolutionary biologist go about developing a theory on the purpose of orgasms when there isn't anything preserved in the fossil record to show when they developed or what changes they caused? Don't they have to start with some kind of a guess? Or would that just be totally beyond the pale of science (even assuming there isn't the necessary evidence to disprove it)?

I'm not an evolutionary biologist, but I get the feeling that a lot of work is done looking at nearby evolutionary relatives, determining when species diverged (and why), and what makes them different. To study the human orgasm, you'd hop up across the evolutionary tree to, say, chimps, and look at if they have orgasms, how their orgasms differ from human orgasms, how their reproductive cycle differs from a human reproductive cycle, etc. You can look at the point in time when humans and chimps split on the evolutionary tree, and look at the external pressures that drove that divergence.

You can also examine the biologic systems as they exist and develop in modern humans. Do male and female orgasms take advantage of the same neural circuitry? Do they produce similar brain activity? Are they proceeded by similar brain or neural activity? How do these systems develop in an embryo/baby/pubescent child? Are there any weird things that can cause an orgasm, or edge-cases that might help us understand how the orgasm developed?

You're correct in saying that evolutionary biology is tough, because there aren't many specimens to sit and pick apart. However, modern biologists have gotten pretty good at working with what they do have, and anything that makes it as far as "theory" has got some pretty good data backing it. Answering these questions nudge us in the right direction, and answering many of these questions can paint a picture that's consistent enough to be called a "theory."

"Bullshit theories" provoked a strong backlash from Mak0rz because it tends to be what anti-science (especially anti-evolution) proponents shout, just before claiming that they have an equally plausible theory that God did it and that's drat well good enough. In scientific terms, "theory" is about as sure as we get. We don't have "laws" anymore, in recognizance of the fact that our understanding probably is incomplete, no matter how accurate it is. Modern work is done with "gravitational theory," not "the law of gravity".

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Golbez posted:

To properly frame your question, you need to realize that no tactile/nerve stimulation at all is required for both male and female orgasms.

You have made the assumption that tactile/nerve stimulation is a necessary part of it. It's not. It's just not even slightly evolutionarily chosen in that case. In that case orgasm is a non-reproductive (thus not chosen) activity.

Then you are at the proper point of asking about it.

Women can conceive much more readily immediately after orgasm, so it is preferentially (though not exclusively) chosen evolutionarily. And men must achieve something like orgasm to impregnate so it is necessarily chosen.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 5, 2011