Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaggle of Deathclaws, good song/band title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rather Dashing posted:

Could someone tell me what that energy weapon is which uses up half a clip with each shot and can pretty much kill a gaggle (that's their official collective noun by the way) of Deathclaws with one shot? I want to pick it up with this current run but can't remember for the life of me what it's called.

Tesla-Beaton prototype? That one uses a ton of ammo, but I don't recall it being worth it really.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gaggle of Deathclaws, good song/band title.

It's either that or Cabaret.

Carthag posted:

Tesla-Beaton prototype? That one uses a ton of ammo, but I don't recall it being worth it really.

It was totally worth it to melt an entire platoon of Legionaires in one shot. Extra effective with that perk that passes on damage after a vaporisation.

Oh, and yes, I believe that is the name, thanks!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

"So you're intent on fighting the Brotherhood. Guess you better make me a target, too."

"Gladly."

:smug:

:shepface: Veronica was the one helping me kill every member of BoS before I found the self-destruct button. :shepicide:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I finished New Vegas last night. I was very satisfied with the game, especially after the aborted mongoloid fetus that was Fallout 3. I'll definitely have to play through again sometime because I know I missed a ton of stuff (like all of Freeside apparently).

Has anyone heard any rumors about the DLC being released in-store like the DLC for GTA4 was? I'm under some ridiculous bandwidth limits so I'm reluctant to download them myself.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceMost posted:

Has anyone heard any rumors about the DLC being released in-store like the DLC for GTA4 was? I'm under some ridiculous bandwidth limits so I'm reluctant to download them myself.

I'm sure there will be a "GOTY" edition that will hit retail which will contain all the DLC at some point, but this is purely speculative and I have no basis for making such a statement other then it seems like a logical thing to do.

Of course, that would mean purchasing the base game again...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Wingnut Ninja posted:

With Elijah's Advanced LAER and Max Charge ammo, you can practically hear the gun crying in pain with every shot. That gun was what prompted me to bind weapon repair kits to a number key, you can go through one or two after every decent-sized firefight.

Yeah it's a great gun but you pretty much need to take Jury Rigging if you want to actually use it on a regular basis.

And does having a high repair or anything prevent weapon degradation? Are there any perks for this?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I believe Raul reduces weapon degradation while he's in your party.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
ugh, I can't play in anything but Hardcore mode. Normal seems so tame. :saddowns:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

ugh, I can't play in anything but Hardcore mode. Normal seems so tame. :saddowns:
The only thing that really annoyed me about hardcore mode was that ammunition had weight. I could only carry 210lbs and it seemed like I was chucking items on the ground because inventory space was at a premium. Other than that, it was never hard to find food or drink and stimpack HoTs meant I could only Rambo most fights instead of all of them.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I really liked Hardcore mode for my first and second playthrough. It was before I realized how ridiculously easy it was to make money (and before the DLC) so the need to constantly buy non-irradiated food and drink, or normal food and radaway, was a nice money sink.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You had to buy food and drink? I've never had to buy either.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I've never played normal either. It's not like Hardcore is difficult or inconvenient or anything, it just adds a little more immersion.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

and yeah who has to buy that poo poo? next you'll say you had to pay for hotel rooms to get your sleep meter down instead of just murdering a hobo and sleeping on his cardboard bed

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

With Elijah's Advanced LAER and Max Charge ammo, you can practically hear the gun crying in pain with every shot. That gun was what prompted me to bind weapon repair kits to a number key, you can go through one or two after every decent-sized firefight.

The basic LAER with mods applied and laser commander generally works out for more damage since each beam can individually crit. Having 30-40% crit rate per beam is nice! Even against high DT fellows, the crits just cut into'em.

Saiko Kila
Aug 8, 2009

These were supposed to be peaceful negotiations! We brought only nukes!

HUMANZ. SO GULLIBLE.

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

In NV just go go to the BoS bunker and pal up to them, they'll sell or give you some BoS gear. Go to their secret hideout and there are mint conditions big energy guns. Go back to BoS central and kill everyone there because you are a user and a liar.

Huh, for some reason I forgot about their bunker, maybe because I found it near the beginning of the game, and was unable to enter it anyway. Now, after finding the holotapes and recruiting Veronica I think I will go there. But I won't shoot them unless it is necessary. I'm a nice guy, and friendly to anyone. Also, I have a lot of silencers on my weapons.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
Next time I have to wipe out the BoS I'm going to try just running through the base on Turbo randomly frenzying people with Mobius' Glove.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Astroturf Man posted:

Next time I have to wipe out the BoS I'm going to try just running through the base on Turbo randomly frenzying people with Mobius' Glove.

The Paladin Toaster is pretty hilarious in that fight too

All zipping around with my terrifying 16 Unarmed skill going through power armored gauss gun assholes in 2-3 punches

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It was my first time through. I spent a loooooooot of time outside in the Goodsprings - Primm - Novac area. I just ran out of free sources after awhile. Plus, I felt the need to IMMEDIATELY fix h20/fod symbols. No lollygagging looking for a free source of water for me.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Sankis posted:

It was my first time through. I spent a loooooooot of time outside in the Goodsprings - Primm - Novac area. I just ran out of free sources after awhile. Plus, I felt the need to IMMEDIATELY fix h20/fod symbols. No lollygagging looking for a free source of water for me.

1. Kill poo poo
2. Cook it

Infinite free food. Extra free if you punch it to death. If condition messages really bother you you might have to scrounge up some Radaway after the hundredth or so time, mind.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Or pay the 10 caps for some snake on a stick and avoid having to put points into an otherwise completely useless skill.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

Or pay the 10 caps for some snake on a stick and avoid having to put points into an otherwise completely useless skill.

Pretty much this. I think I went Guns/Sneak/Lockpick on my first time through the game without ever putting points outside of them and maybe repair or science.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I just find enough food in nasty refrigerators to keep me going, and drinking from a water source zeroes out your h20 meter immediately so I just borrow peoples' sinks every time I go into a house even if I'm not getting a warning yet. Once you go through a few areas you'll see Bighorners and you can just blow their heads off for their meat that drops your food by 300 or something retarded, and then you should be set forever on carried food.

ed: the bighorner thing is without Survival, so I guess you could probably get more out of them if you just don't have anything better to do with your skill points (you do)

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 4, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cowcaster posted:

Survival is a good skill because of the insane healing rate you can get. A great skill with that perk which gives you free insanely good and valuable healing items when you kill things.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Cowcaster posted:

If you're spending so much time in the sticks that you manage to completely deplete them of food, which is everywhere and necessary like maybe once every three days, I'd think you'd be grateful for the chance to occupy yourself.

Also Survival owns

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I love Bighorners, or as I like to call them, big dumb walking sacks of meat and experience.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The Paladin Toaster is pretty hilarious in that fight too

All zipping around with my terrifying 16 Unarmed skill going through power armored gauss gun assholes in 2-3 punches

Besides it's crazy ammo usage, the pulse gun is the best against the BoS. 1 shot and anyone in power armor is going down.

I'm also liking the new traits that Lonesome Road added, taking Skilled and Good Natured with an already high intelligence puts a few of your skills over 50 right away, and most of them over 25.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 4, 2011

Saiko Kila
Aug 8, 2009

These were supposed to be peaceful negotiations! We brought only nukes!

HUMANZ. SO GULLIBLE.
I have no problem with hunger, ever, because I use food for healing, and I need healing quite often. Different foods stack, and the healing per second can be higher than the poisons damage (who unfortunately also stack). That's why I invest in survival. One of the best early food is gecko steak, because it heals rather quickly. Later brahmin and bighorner steaks are also great (bonus to strength), because bighorners are unlimited, and are easily killed with one sneaky shot from varmint rifle.

Another good thing with survival is it allows to made a nice light armor later - this is for characters who choose to Travel Light.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cowcaster posted:

Survival gives you:

1. Them's Good Eatin', which turns *everything* alive into free healing.

2. Some drat fine Light Armor, pre-expansions [And even post-expansions it's still one of the better armors for it's class].

3. Buffs that aren't easy or possible to get anywhere else.

4. Poisons, which can make large sections of the game trivial for certain builds really early.

So it's not a *needed* skill, but for certain playstyles there is a lot to get out of it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

If you're spending so much time in the sticks that you manage to completely deplete them of food, which is everywhere and necessary like maybe once every three days, I'd think you'd be grateful for the chance to occupy yourself.

Also Survival owns

I don't get what you're saying here, is it that if you spend enough time in the same area you deplete merchants of food? Because as a guy with no points in survival whose entire food supply comes from poo poo lying around and what you get from merchants that's never been an issue.

Similarly, stacking healing with a poo poo survival skill just using the stuff lying around has always resulted in more than enough healing on its own without having to use magic recipes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saiko Kila posted:

Another good thing with survival is it allows to made a nice light armor later - this is for characters who choose to Travel Light.

I was disappointed to find out that those special armors you can make with Survival look the same as the regular versions of them, though. I was hoping for some sweet hides all over it.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
We're talking about even getting to the point where you'd have to use merchants/pay for food. I never even carry food items because you're never more than fifteen seconds from a refrigerator or cache of like half a dozen TV dinners, the concept of staying in one small area for so long those all go away is mindblowing. At that point you're barely even playing the same game I recognize, you're doing some hardcore simulationist provincial wastelander run where you settle down in Goodsprings and become a farmer for the next thirty game-years or something.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 4, 2011

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

We're talking about even getting to the point where you'd have to use merchants/pay for food. I never even carry food items because you're never more than fifteen seconds from a refrigerator or cache of like half a dozen decent food items, the concept of staying in one small area for so long those all go away is mindblowing. At that point you're barely even playing the same game I recognize, you're doing like some hardcore simulationist provincial wastelander run where you settle down in Goodsprings and become a farmer for the next thirty game-years or something.

Uh, I don't think we're disagreeing here. I just consider merchants another version of a refrigerator or cache of food.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So what's the consensus on Lonesome Road? Is it a necessity to play it right now because of some awesome story bit or is it okay to wait when I don't have a million other things to play? It sure got shat on by most reviewers for a variety of things.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was disappointed to find out that those special armors you can make with Survival look the same as the regular versions of them, though. I was hoping for some sweet hides all over it.

If this isn't a mod yet, good lord I will be pissed.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think New Vegas is overall a much better game than FO3, but I can't say I care for how the ammo system works. Having multiple ammo types is cool, but I have like something like 8-billion useless ammo components I either accidentally got off people or generated by shooting things, a lot of which are for guns I'll never, ever use. It's tedious and just creates a giant mess, especially since you don't NEED the stuff.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Zorak posted:

I think New Vegas is overall a much better game than FO3, but I can't say I care for how the ammo system works. Having multiple ammo types is cool, but I have like something like 8-billion useless ammo components I either accidentally got off people or generated by shooting things, a lot of which are for guns I'll never, ever use. It's tedious and just creates a giant mess, especially since you don't NEED the stuff.

This.
The biggest turn off for HC mode for me is that I'd have to spend even more time squinting at my vast collection of ammunition and then back at my guns to try and put which goes with which. Is there a mod anywhere that let's me play HC mode (so the hunger, thirst, sleep etc) without the ammo weight restriction?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Throw away or dump the ammo components in a box someplace instead of hauling them around with you is my suggestion. Also make sure to pick up a UI mod someplace that decreases the text size/gaps in the pipboy so you can see more than five items at a time.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Zorak posted:

Yeah the inventory clutter is a little crazy but if you're not crafting can't you just ignore everything under the Misc. tab outright and spare yourself the trouble? If it's in there it's either an undroppable quest item, crafting materials, or garbage you accidentally picked up.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
There is waaaay to much food/drink avaliable in game. Just having the vault 13 canteen marginalizes most of the dehydration issue.

Hardcore should have dramatically stripped the majority of food items and raised prices on food/water/ammo.

Plus you can stack food/water for massive healing, easy enough to rival stimpacks. Oh, the power of gluttony.

Instead, try my Drunk Chem-Fiend Cannibal approach. You can only eat people(or other cannibal+ humanoids with the right perk), and shamelessly abuse drugs/stims/alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Yodzilla posted:

So what's the consensus on Lonesome Road? Is it a necessity to play it right now because of some awesome story bit or is it okay to wait when I don't have a million other things to play? It sure got shat on by most reviewers for a variety of things.

I don't know why it got shat on. I just played through it and thought it was great. New dense urban area with tough enemies, cool armor and weapons, and a plot that actually relates to the main story.

That said, some of the spawns were just ridiculous. You'll get stuff like three deathclaws and three ghouls with anti-materiel rifles and rocket launchers spawning right on top of you.