Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

dms666 posted:

#64, Got to play some 3v3 pickup at Consol last night, nothing will compare to skating on ice that is that perfect. Some of the video guys were still working while we were playing and were messing around putting up replays of us playing on the jumbotron, which was pretty cool.

That's awesome.

Were the video guys putting up serious replays like shots on net, or hilarious ones like Jeff suddenly eating it at the blueline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's awesome. I dream of a day I get a chance to play on real non-lovely ice that doesn't have permanent divots from figure skaters in it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That's awesome. I dream of a day I get a chance to play on real non-lovely ice that doesn't have permanent divots from figure skaters in it.

Make a rink in your backyard. :colbert:

In fact we're getting pretty close to that time of year, I can't wait until the outdoor ice starts showing up.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
We are having a problem with our lines, due to some free agents over valuing themselves(big surprise) we are stuck with some "dead weight".. How would you do lines..

Good/Good/Not-so-good
Not-so-good/Not-so-good/Good

or

Good/Good/Good
Not-so-good/Not-so-good/Not-so-good

One of the Not-so-good players is really cool gut and will be sticking around but the other two are free agents and have lovely attitudes and will be asked to leave at the end of the season if that matters.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

poser posted:

We are having a problem with our lines, due to some free agents over valuing themselves(big surprise) we are stuck with some "dead weight".. How would you do lines..

Good/Good/Not-so-good

or

Good/Good/Good

One of the Not-so-good players is really cool gut and will be sticking around but the other two are free agents and have lovely attitudes and will be asked to leave at the end of the season if that matters.

I'm no Bruce Boudreau-level coaching genius but I think it would be a mistake lumping all the lovely guys together. They might get hemmed in their own zone for a long time without being able to change and then not only are you giving up scoring chances but it's eating up icetime for your better players. Some better guys mixed in might help that line be able to keep some flow going. Plus, you know, even a total plug (like me) can put one in the net every once in a while if their linemates are giving them good passes. If they're all out together it could just end up with a lot of wasted shifts.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

poser posted:

How did you get to play there?

I play on another team with someone who works there, guess they have employee ice time occasionally and they needed people. Apparently they never have had a goalie until my friend came tonight, or that many employees that even go and play.

Robo-Pope posted:

That's awesome.

Were the video guys putting up serious replays like shots on net, or hilarious ones like Jeff suddenly eating it at the blueline?

They did a couple of each, while they were trying out new layouts for different displays.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

sellouts posted:

nice, what level? played at tsc but this is my first season there... I think I'll be in bronze as I havent played in about 18 months

Bronze currently, as I have not played in a year or so. I need to get my legs back.

I like the league better then at Culver City(who the gently caress puts the locker rooms up a flight of stairs?) or Lakewood.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

I'm no Bruce Boudreau-level coaching genius but I think it would be a mistake lumping all the lovely guys together. They might get hemmed in their own zone for a long time without being able to change and then not only are you giving up scoring chances but it's eating up icetime for your better players. Some better guys mixed in might help that line be able to keep some flow going. Plus, you know, even a total plug (like me) can put one in the net every once in a while if their linemates are giving them good passes. If they're all out together it could just end up with a lot of wasted shifts.

I forgot to mention that the guy stuck with the two lovely players is 3rd on the team in scoring but it has all come while playing with other people. The idea would be that hopefully the other two lines score enough to make up for anything the "lovely" line would give up.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

cenzo posted:

I'm about 80% sure our goalie leaves his stuff in his bags. I don't even skate near him anymore because his poo poo is rank. I think it's some kind of psychological thing he's doing to the other team. I hope.

Goalie smell defense: I immediately unpack everything from my bag and hang it up. My gloves and skates go on a glove/shoe drying machine that blasts heated, ionized air into them for three hours. My gloves still smell like rear end and are slimy if they're used the next day.

We're not automatically lazy slobs because our gear smells :(

edit: My solution: move to a desert. It's going to be so nice to be able to throw all my poo poo outside and have it insta dry.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Yeah I had to put together lines for my team because we have a full 18 and can't possibly just throw lines together in the locker room before the game and I went with splitting up the talent more. If all our weakest players are on the same line then they WILL get stuck in the defensive zone for a long time and that's what you have to avoid more than anything in my experience. I put our best player on a line with one of our worst and one middle of the pack guy that plays good position game to give him someone to pass to/get passes from. I put the 2nd and 3rd best centers with the 3rd and 2nd best wingers respectively to keep it balanced. The 4th line is slow and wont produce much offense but they're defensively good enough not to get hemmed in.

Part of the reason I don't mind splitting up the offense talent though is that two of our best players are a pair of rushing d-men on separate pairings who can either feed the best forward who happens to be out or go end to end themselves.

I have a good feeling about this season actually, our first real test is our game this thursday, I'll report back if this strategy worked or failed miserably.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

poser posted:

Good/Good/Not-so-good

or

Good/Good/Good

As long as the iffy guy on Line 1 isn't actively bad, the line should be fine. Putting the worst forward on the team there will destroy the line though.
He just needs to be able to contribute in small ways rather than turning over the puck constantly. Ability to get open and get the puck on net is key. Stickhandling, especially, is not as important since his two linemates will spend most of the time with the puck.

e: Note that I'm a roller hockey guy, but it generally works this way with two-man lines. Put your best guy with one who isn't great with the puck, but can get open and put shots on net. They will own, and it doesn't completely torpedo your second line.

Robo-Pope fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 4, 2011

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
STICK CHAT:

I think this was discussed earlier a few pages and I hate being "that guy," but would anyone like to share their experiences buying the mystery composite stick pack from hockey monkey?

I was thinking about tossing slightly more money than I'd normally spend on 1 stick for the possibility of getting 2 at a similar price point. It almost seems too good to be true, except I have no idea what brand/pattern/flex I'll be getting... but I'm open to new things.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

cenzo posted:

STICK CHAT:

I think this was discussed earlier a few pages and I hate being "that guy," but would anyone like to share their experiences buying the mystery composite stick pack from hockey monkey?

I was thinking about tossing slightly more money than I'd normally spend on 1 stick for the possibility of getting 2 at a similar price point. It almost seems too good to be true, except I have no idea what brand/pattern/flex I'll be getting... but I'm open to new things.

I haven't done this but from a business standpoint, it seems like they will probably just lump in whatever excess stock or unpopular blade patterns/colors aren't selling. I think value isn't as important as knowing what flex/blade pattern I'm getting. They could also be blemishes or something but thats just a shot in the dark from my opinion.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KnightProjekt posted:

Bronze currently, as I have not played in a year or so. I need to get my legs back.

I like the league better then at Culver City(who the gently caress puts the locker rooms up a flight of stairs?) or Lakewood.

Cool man, going into bronze as well. Haven't skated in about 18 months so I need to get my legs back as well.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Haha the first time I did pickup at culver I made the mistake of taking my stick up the stairs with me, never again!

Sellouts when are we playing a pickup?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How terrible is the skate sharpening at Culver? I need to get mine sharpened but don't have time to go to El Segundo to do it.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
About 60 percent as good as Jake, I had some uneven spots. Would work in a pinch but get to jakes after.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

Good/Good/Not-so-good

or

Good/Good/Good

Usually you'll stick your two best guys in at center (defense first :eng101:). So option #1 is probably better from a whole-game standpoint. Theoretically you'll score fewer goals, but you'll also give up fewer chances.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My night league is at DU, so I get to play about half my games at Magness Arena. So very, very nice.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 5, 2011

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I leave my hockey gear in my jeep. I open up the bag and pull out my pants, bring my skates indoors with my stick. Ahhhh, apartment life!

In college I lived with two other hockey players. We would put all of our poo poo wide open in the living room. The girlfriends were unimpressed with that tactic.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Well turns out those lines are impossible because we just had two people quit after two games.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

poser posted:

Well turns out those lines are impossible because we just had two people quit after two games.

Good ol' reliable beer league. Our last game we had two subs and three on the bench. I'm actually surprised we made it to overtime.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We have a game on (Canadian) Thanksgiving, which is also the day before a bunch of guys on our team go into a week of exams. Going to be a painfully short bench.

I think everyone else on my team is a vet student, but they sure don't take care of themselves. The first game a guy with no visor took a stick 1/2 an inch above the eye and left the game because he could not see through the blood.

Last night a guy was pulled down on a breakaway and he chipped two of his front teeth on the ice. Probably lucky it wasn't worse, considering he had no visor or mouthguard. No mouthguard means he's not covered under the league insurance, but he's a student so whatever insurance his parents have should still cover him.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Pleads posted:

Last night a guy was pulled down on a breakaway and he chipped two of his front teeth on the ice. Probably lucky it wasn't worse, considering he had no visor or mouthguard.

Oh man just reading that makes me cringe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, hold on, I'm gonna stop by the gear shop and get a mouth guard now. I might even use it when I'm not on the ice.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I can't understand the people who play without the slightest regard for their own personal safety.

Reminds me of my college days when our goalie would play with no cup. "It makes me react faster because I'm scared to get hit in the boys" he would say.

So dumb.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

cenzo posted:

I can't understand the people who play without the slightest regard for their own personal safety.

Reminds me of my college days when our goalie would play with no cup. "It makes me react faster because I'm scared to get hit in the boys" he would say.

So dumb.

I love the people that dont play with a cage because their "vision" gets messed up with one. Its beer league bro, who gives a poo poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

poser posted:

I love the people that dont play with a cage because their "vision" gets messed up with one. Its beer league bro, who gives a poo poo.

A guy on one of my previous teams would have the same argument.

I replied with ...

"at least a cage gives you a reason for not seeing the puck on your stick"

... he thought I was joking.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 5, 2011

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

poser posted:

Two words: the fishbowl.
No bars in your vision, and nobody cares that your mask looks doofy, they're more focused on your lack of hockey skill.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey I don't know anything about anything, but I was thinking that if you staggered the horizontal bars on the right and left side of the cage that it would lead to less puck blindness.

My unsubstantiated thinking is that yea, the bar on the right will obscure the puck, but the left eye can still see it fine. I'm probably really wrong. Proof: it isn't done already.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey I don't know anything about anything, but I was thinking that if you staggered the horizontal bars on the right and left side of the cage that it would lead to less puck blindness.

My unsubstantiated thinking is that yea, the bar on the right will obscure the puck, but the left eye can still see it fine. I'm probably really wrong. Proof: it isn't done already.

There's definitely room for improvement with hockey cages. I think if they adopted a more football type setup, or even goalie masks, a lot of the complaints could be dealt with. Make a helmet that actually secures well to the head, and adjust the holes so they're large enough to see through but smaller than a puck.. and I think we'd see improvements.

Not that I have issues tracking the puck with my existing cage (I think people that bitch about visibility are idiots), but I'm the sort that always wonders if there's a better way to do things.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

So we have 2 really slow/not so good hockey playing forwards on our team and our captain typically will do something like this if we have 2 forward lines:

Good - Really Good - Good
Bad - Mediocre - Bad

If we have 3 lines:
Good - Really Good - Mediocre
Bad - Good - Bad
Mediocre - Good - Mediocre

I usually center that second line. At least that's been the case lately. I told the bad guys to just dump the puck into the zone, I'll go get it and you guys just skate towards the net, maybe something will happen. To be honest, one of the bad guys is getting better at stickhandling so he's been able to hold on to the puck, but the other guy is plain awful. Can't skate, can't catch a pass, can't shoot.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

There's definitely room for improvement with hockey cages. I think if they adopted a more football type setup, or even goalie masks, a lot of the complaints could be dealt with. Make a helmet that actually secures well to the head, and adjust the holes so they're large enough to see through but smaller than a puck.. and I think we'd see improvements.

Not that I have issues tracking the puck with my existing cage (I think people that bitch about visibility are idiots), but I'm the sort that always wonders if there's a better way to do things.

A lot of people forget about other things than just pucks getting through a cage though, factor in sicks and blades.

I think it would be worthwile to see some innovation in cage design (aside from the clear and visor/cage combos). I've noticed the difference between white/silvery colored cages to black cages. My black cage is definitely more distracting than the white cages I used to have.

As far as goalie masks, its pretty hard to think of a better way to protect them. They are susceptible to fogging if they were to even to consider a clear visor is sort of out of the question, they get sticks at them so they need a decently tight mesh in order to keep blades out as well as 100mph pucks.

Interesting to think about, it would be nice to see some prototypes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

A lot of people forget about other things than just pucks getting through a cage though, factor in sicks and blades.

Aren't all hockey blades bigger than a puck? If a hole is sized so a puck can't get through, how would a stick get through?

I was bringing up goalie masks more as inspiration for improving skater masks, rather than altering goalie mask design. Unless they start adding more padding and thickness to goalie masks, I'm not sure there's much more to be done to improve it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Aren't all hockey blades bigger than a puck? If a hole is sized so a puck can't get through, how would a stick get through?

Butt ends are smaller than pucks and blades are smaller than pucks in one dimension.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

Butt ends are smaller than pucks and blades are smaller than pucks in one dimension.

I suppose, but eventually you get to a point where worrying about every single possibility prevents any decisions being made.

My thinking is a mask that protects against pucks and slashes is "good enough".

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Face protection is now officially That Topic in the SAS Hockey Player Thread.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Green Submarine posted:

Face protection is now officially That Topic in the SAS Hockey Player Thread.

You'll note I predicted this in the OP.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

I was bringing up goalie masks more as inspiration for improving skater masks, rather than altering goalie mask design. Unless they start adding more padding and thickness to goalie masks, I'm not sure there's much more to be done to improve it.

The butt of the stick and the tip of the blade can potentially fit through a cateye, though it's very unlikely. As for improving goalie masks, the padding inside is still pretty basic and it is there more for comfort than added protection, but some people are starting to look into different materials. Maltese offers gel pads that can replace traditional foams, some people are looking into the foams used in more advance football helmets, and some people are starting to use a mixture of different materials to provide the desired protection/performance.

Most of the protection in goalie masks comes from the rigidness of the shell, which is why materials like kevlar and carbon fibre have become popular with mask makers, since they are light, but very strong. As for the cage, cateyes are pretty decent for visibility, but they could be better. One alternative is the style of cage that Tim Thomas used last year. It's supposed to give you better sightlines than cateye and be a little closer to a traditional cage in terms of protection. Another thing that pros do for better visibility, is they remove some of the padding from the mask so that their eyes can be closer to the cage.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

bewbies posted:

You'll note I predicted this in the OP.

So you did:

bewbies posted:

Shield vs cage vs nothing is a great discussion that brings out many well informed opinions on hockey and masculinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Over/Under on percentage of Cage Advocates(tm) that do not wear a neck guard set at 90%.