Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Anyone know where I can buy UK iTunes gift card codes the cheapest? I picked up a £25 one for £33 a while back and I'd rather find a place where they don't charge that much extra. E-mail delivery is a must.

Why can you not get them at a 1=1 price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Ridonkulous posted:

Why can you not get them at a 1=1 price?

Because I don't live in the UK (or any official iTunes country) and unless I have missed something you can't buy UK iTunes stuff unless you have a proper UK address and credit card.

All places I have found that sell the codes charge extra and while I'm kinda OK with that I'd rather not pay THAT much. Seriously, that's like a third extra.

Edit: I found that G2play.net has an iTunes section and they sell £25 cards for £28, so I guess that's about as good as it gets.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 13, 2011

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I run into the same situation with iTunes Japan. I get absurd markup or no e-mail delivery on both 1,500 and 3,000 yen cards

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
I've got an iPhone app syncing question. I got the iPhone two weeks ago and have been using it without iTunes. I decided to set it up with iTunes for music and am not sure exactly how to get app syncing to work right. I disabled automatic syncing and got the apps transferred off of the iPhone onto the computer, but I have not checked the box to sync apps yet. If I do, the home screen layouts in iTunes only show the stock iPhone apps. What is the proper way to do this without losing all my app settings? Maybe if I just sync apps it will work right, I'm just paranoid that it will delete all of the apps.

ElBob
May 16, 2004

Kaylee, what the hell's going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys?

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Because I don't live in the UK (or any official iTunes country) and unless I have missed something you can't buy UK iTunes stuff unless you have a proper UK address and credit card.

All places I have found that sell the codes charge extra and while I'm kinda OK with that I'd rather not pay THAT much. Seriously, that's like a third extra.

Edit: I found that G2play.net has an iTunes section and they sell £25 cards for £28, so I guess that's about as good as it gets.

Havin the same problem with the France iTunes store, if anyone knows of a solution I'd love to hear it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've come across an album in my library that still has DRM on it and I'd like to listen to it on my phone.

I vaguely recall some of my other albums allowing me to upgrade to a non-DRM version for less than the price of just buying it again, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it for this particular one - clicking this just says everything has already been upgraded.

Is there any way to get around this?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

dissss posted:

I've come across an album in my library that still has DRM on it and I'd like to listen to it on my phone.

I vaguely recall some of my other albums allowing me to upgrade to a non-DRM version for less than the price of just buying it again, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it for this particular one - clicking this just says everything has already been upgraded.

Is there any way to get around this?

Could always go to the old standby of "Use iTunes to burn it to a CD, then rip the CD."

Lifehacker recommended a product called DVDneXtCOPY iTurns FREE that allows you to do that without using a physical CD. Haven't tried it, myself.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

clayburn posted:

I've got an iPhone app syncing question. I got the iPhone two weeks ago and have been using it without iTunes. I decided to set it up with iTunes for music and am not sure exactly how to get app syncing to work right. I disabled automatic syncing and got the apps transferred off of the iPhone onto the computer, but I have not checked the box to sync apps yet. If I do, the home screen layouts in iTunes only show the stock iPhone apps. What is the proper way to do this without losing all my app settings? Maybe if I just sync apps it will work right, I'm just paranoid that it will delete all of the apps.

When you check the box to sync apps, you'll be able to manually choose what apps you want to install and you won't lose anything.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a whole bunch of songs that have information tagged in the 'sort' fields that I can't remove. The sort field information is greyed out in iTunes, and every time I remove the information from the track, it stays there. I checked the permissions on a few of these files, and I can read/write them all. What am I missing here?

edit: I should say that I can add information to the sort fields, but even after adding, saving, and removing, it goes back to the greyed out information. For example, all of Abbey Road's songs have 'sort artist' fields of 'Beatles'. I can put in whatever I want in that field and it will show up, but if I set it to have nothing in that field, it goes back to 'Beatles'.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 18, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

maltesh posted:

Could always go to the old standby of "Use iTunes to burn it to a CD, then rip the CD."

Thanks for this, for some reason I thought I'd already tried that and iTunes refused to burn the disc but I just tried again and it works fine.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've got a whole bunch of songs that have information tagged in the 'sort' fields that I can't remove. The sort field information is greyed out in iTunes, and every time I remove the information from the track, it stays there. I checked the permissions on a few of these files, and I can read/write them all. What am I missing here?

edit: I should say that I can add information to the sort fields, but even after adding, saving, and removing, it goes back to the greyed out information. For example, all of Abbey Road's songs have 'sort artist' fields of 'Beatles'. I can put in whatever I want in that field and it will show up, but if I set it to have nothing in that field, it goes back to 'Beatles'.

You've got 'The Beatles' in the artist field then iTunes autopopulates 'Beatles' so they appear under B not T.
What else is it that you want tunes to do?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cerv posted:

You've got 'The Beatles' in the artist field then iTunes autopopulates 'Beatles' so they appear under B not T.
What else is it that you want tunes to do?

:doh: I had no idea that iTunes autopopulated those fields for sorting purposes. The way I was looking at my library, the sort tags looked almost completely random, like I had some sort of weird second ID3 tag that wouldn't go away. Now that I know what it's doing, this makes a whole lot more sense. Thank you for for helping my OCD!

Ulmeyda
Aug 10, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I just stopped using my Ipod, and realized that all the album art I've meticulously added to my music using itunes over the years doesn't actually save the art to the file itself. Does anyone know a painless way to save art to the file? I've tried using this (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart), but it doesn't appear to be working.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Salutations!

Does anybody know if/how I can remove, "EXPLICIT" tags from songs? I've just bought a Heavy Metal/Comedy album and while its a little amusing to see said tag next to every song on the album, its a little odd having it show up just there wheras the rest of my library has no such tags (odd considering some of the other choices I've purchased through iTunes). My OCD is getting the better of me, if I can't get rid of these tags it'll drive me insane. A picture is added for your viewing pleasure!

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Go to 'preferences' 'parental' - uncheck show content ratings

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Thankyou kindly.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Anyone know why iTunes would "lag" when using the 'Search Playlist' feature (top left search box)? The search results eventually show up but it's annoying as hell when I just want to find something real fast. Ruins the user experience.

The playlist has ~3000 songs/~26GB (constantly adding/deleting files, so no definite figures).

By "lag" I mean I will type, for example, "artist song title" and it will take a few seconds for the words to come up... each letter sloooowly showing up. Like; "A... R... T... I..." etc. Hard to explain but i'm sure you guys know what lag is.

Oh, and i'm running Win XP if that matters.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Is there any way to find if any songs that I have deleted from Itunes?
I want to clean up where my files are on my computer but once I move them I wont know which songs where associated with that folder.
Any help?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I don't think this is the best place to ask this, but has somebody figured out how to make iPod scrobbling work better? Most of the times it doesn't detect any scrobbles and when it does they usually don't get uploaded. I've cleared associations numerous times, but it rarely helps.

Also songs that I have listened to more than once get numerous scrobbles, but with the same date/time. Apparently it is intended behaviour but that's really dumb.

Should I use an external program instead? I'm on Windows 7 with the latest iTunes and last.fm client and a 5th gen iPod Nano.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I don't think this is the best place to ask this, but has somebody figured out how to make iPod scrobbling work better? Most of the times it doesn't detect any scrobbles and when it does they usually don't get uploaded. I've cleared associations numerous times, but it rarely helps.

Also songs that I have listened to more than once get numerous scrobbles, but with the same date/time. Apparently it is intended behaviour but that's really dumb.

Should I use an external program instead? I'm on Windows 7 with the latest iTunes and last.fm client and a 5th gen iPod Nano.

I just don't think the Last.FM app is very well written. It always recognizes my iPod no matter what. However, my iPhone I have to tell it to scrobble those plays every time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How can I make a smart playlist that will play the 50 most recently-added tracks regardless of how long ago they were added? The default one only includes ones based on a fixed timescale.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How can I make a smart playlist that will play the 50 most recently-added tracks regardless of how long ago they were added? The default one only includes ones based on a fixed timescale.

You don't even need anything for the rules, so I guess you can uncheck it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

IUG posted:

You don't even need anything for the rules, so I guess you can uncheck it.

Jesus Christ how did I miss that for so long? Thank you very much.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hooray!

My old(er) Sixth Gen Nano just got a 1.2 update!

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I've tried importing a couple of CDs using iTunes, and I can't work out where they've gone. It looks like they've gone into the artist's folder in the iTunes library, but when I browse to that folder I can't see them. Even searching for them through My Computer shows them in that folder (and they show up fine in iTunes itself), but I can't actually navigate to them another way. Why might this be?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

dogydemoc posted:

I've tried importing a couple of CDs using iTunes, and I can't work out where they've gone. It looks like they've gone into the artist's folder in the iTunes library, but when I browse to that folder I can't see them. Even searching for them through My Computer shows them in that folder (and they show up fine in iTunes itself), but I can't actually navigate to them another way. Why might this be?
Right-click an imported song and click "Show in Finder/Explorer" and it will show you where the file is. If the CD has multiple artists, it might be listed under Compilations.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
Thanks for the tip, found what I was looking for.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I've run into some kind of 10.5 beta bug.

I did a fresh install of iTunes 10.5 beta 7 (64bit, on Windows 7). When I open the preferences and try to select some of the checkboxes in the sources section, they don't respond at all, and can't be checked.

Has anyone else run into this?

Here's a screenshot of exactly what I'm talking about :

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Okay I feel like I've been putting up with this too long. With Lion or the new iTunes or whatever it was, it got rid of the little arrows next to tracks. I had done the terminal tweak to make those links just take me to the artist/album in my library and basically found them invaluable and now I can't figure out how to get them back and it's slowly killing me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Manky posted:

Okay I feel like I've been putting up with this too long. With Lion or the new iTunes or whatever it was, it got rid of the little arrows next to tracks. I had done the terminal tweak to make those links just take me to the artist/album in my library and basically found them invaluable and now I can't figure out how to get them back and it's slowly killing me.

Any song that's playing now has a drop down arrow after the track name. If you click this it will let you pick that song in the Library browser, or the album, or the artist.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Any song that's playing now has a drop down arrow after the track name. If you click this it will let you pick that song in the Library browser, or the album, or the artist.

I know, but I really liked the convenience of one click-I'm there on stuff I'm not playing. Is there no way to restore that?

e: Yes there is! Wooo
code:
defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-link-arrows 1

Manky fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 10, 2011

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

There was a song added to an album after I bought it and it doesn't show up in my Purchased list. Do I have to buy it separately?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You should probably contact iTune Support about that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I just inherited an old Mac Pro from a friend and for shits I'm going to organize the music library.

The problem is that the library contains 100s or 1000s of duplicates since the library is about 10 years old and has been merged with copies of itself through laziness and negligence moving from one machine to the next and from backups after hosing the OS.

Anyway, I -DO NOT- want to manually go into itunes and pick the newer/older version of a track for what could be 100s of tracks. I'm not familiar with this library so I'd rather have a robot do it. I don't really care if there is irreversible data loss. This is more of a curiosity to see how hosed a neglected library gets after 10 years. I'm going to keep a backup of it anyway.

So, are there any decent duplicate removing tools out there that are somewhat intelligent and can use id3 tags and also deal with misspellings?

I basically want it to prune everything by keeping the biggest/oldest files and also updating ratings and playlists if thats even possible. I would also want a report of how many files are flagged for removal before it does anything.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 11, 2011

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

You should probably contact iTune Support about that.

That was a proper good idea and they gave me a song credit to use. It would be nice if something changes in an album it would get added automatically, but I can't complain.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So, are there any decent duplicate removing tools out there that are somewhat intelligent and can use id3 tags and also deal with misspellings?

TuneUp should be able to do it. There are a couple others out there, but that's the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Where can I download iTunes 32-bit? They used to link to both but now I can only get x64.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Is there anyway to get purchase details about tracks listed in the iCloud section of my iTunes account? There are a handful of tracks showing up that I have little to no memory of downloading and I'd like to know when they were added to my account. Hopefully it's just iCloud being buggy.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Molten Llama posted:

TuneUp should be able to do it. There are a couple others out there, but that's the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

Cool. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

I am super new to iTunes and I can't seem to figure out (or google the appropriate iTunes terms) how to have iTunes monitor the iTunes Media folder and have it automatically add items I add in there to the iTunes Library.

Is there a way to do that?