Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Godzilla07 posted:

BGR making poo poo up? Well I never.

The real story is from the WSJ saying Sprint is essentially betting $20 million on the iPhone. That's a real vote of confidence in Android.

Actually $20 Billion, with a B.

Good lord. I like the iPhone and all but I just can't see that being a wise move. Apparently neither can the stock holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Actually $20 Billion, with a B.

Good lord. I like the iPhone and all but I just can't see that being a wise move. Apparently neither can the stock holders.

I bet the 4g iPhone 5 exclusive story was planted by Sprint in the hopes it would save their stocks.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's $20 billion over 4 years and I believe I read that Sprint estimates it loses around 6mil subscribers a year through iPhone churn. So, that about lines up numbers wise.

They better hope though that people are leaving JUST because of the iPhone and not due to a combination of factors or they are going to have a glut of inventory on their shelves.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Inking a deal for over double the value of your company on one specific device seems, uh, rash. It's not at all surprising their stock is dropping. That being said, I'm getting a Sprint iPhone the second it comes out even though I'm going to be paying full price for it. Wooooooo.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is the iphone announcement tomorrow?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ddogflex posted:

Inking a deal for over double the value of your company on one specific device seems, uh, rash. It's not at all surprising their stock is dropping. That being said, I'm getting a Sprint iPhone the second it comes out even though I'm going to be paying full price for it. Wooooooo.
Based on the actual WSJ article everyone seems to be referring to, I don't think there's enough of anything to point to long-term exclusivity, but it's vague to begin with. Then again, why would Sprint even promise anything to Apple about sales unless it was the only way they could get Apple to give it to them in the first place? They were already going to make a CDMA version for Verizon, anyway. So that's the only reason I could see the rumor holding any kind of water. No doubt that it'd be a very short period of exclusivity if it's the case, though.

TLG James posted:

Is the iphone announcement tomorrow?
That's the story I've been seeing everywhere, yes.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

SeaborneClink posted:

20 is what I've been told.

This is 100% accurate, according to my latest bill that I'm currently looking at.

On a related note...it seems that Sprint has decided to remove the 25% discount that I've had FOREVER (worked at UPS from 2003-2006) this month...which kind of pisses me off.

Now, granted, I haven't worked at UPS in over 5 years and I've been enjoying a 25% discount anyhow...but adding $40 per month to my bill each month is kind of painful. Is there anything I can do to get this (or a similar discount) added back on?

Would someone who has access to Sprint's system be kind enough to check and see what discount options I might have?

Without this discount, I could go to Verizon on a similar plan for only about $15 more per month than I pay now (and at least I'd have better coverage and access to their absurdly fast LTE network)...

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

SpelledBackwards posted:

Based on the actual WSJ article everyone seems to be referring to, I don't think there's enough of anything to point to long-term exclusivity, but it's vague to begin with. Then again, why would Sprint even promise anything to Apple about sales unless it was the only way they could get Apple to give it to them in the first place? They were already going to make a CDMA version for Verizon, anyway. So that's the only reason I could see the rumor holding any kind of water. No doubt that it'd be a very short period of exclusivity if it's the case.

Yeah, i seriously doubt its an exclusive. I assume the WSJ article is accurate though. They are pretty much always dead on (like everyone else is saying).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ddogflex posted:

Yeah, i seriously doubt its an exclusive. I assume the WSJ article is accurate though. They are pretty much always dead on (like everyone else is saying).

What about a timed exclusive?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

nate fisher posted:

What about a timed exclusive?

That's all it could possibly be anyway, I'm thinking no. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Ozmodiar posted:

This is 100% accurate, according to my latest bill that I'm currently looking at.

On a related note...it seems that Sprint has decided to remove the 25% discount that I've had FOREVER (worked at UPS from 2003-2006) this month...which kind of pisses me off.
Okay, this has me scared. If Sprint kills our discount...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

Now, granted, I haven't worked at UPS in over 5 years and I've been enjoying a 25% discount anyhow...but adding $40 per month to my bill each month is kind of painful. Is there anything I can do to get this (or a similar discount) added back on?

Would someone who has access to Sprint's system be kind enough to check and see what discount options I might have?

Without this discount, I could go to Verizon on a similar plan for only about $15 more per month than I pay now (and at least I'd have better coverage and access to their absurdly fast LTE network)...

Pm me details on where you work.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The only way I can see this making sense is if they start selling iPhones through Virgin Mobile for the pre-paid market. If, on the other hand, they're merely trying to compete with Verizon and AT&T in the post-paid market they'll probably fail.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, if I have to sell IPhones at 5% of normal commission this might screw me over. I really really hope not, i've been dreading iPhone commissions (aka, $0 commissions) for a month now.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I now have an airave, if only I were smart enough to use it. I was hoping I could just plug it in wherever on my network, but if I read this correctly it needs to go between my cable modem and router? Do these things mess with NAT routing at all for games, mumble, jabber, etc?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldPueblo posted:

I now have an airave, if only I were smart enough to use it. I was hoping I could just plug it in wherever on my network, but if I read this correctly it needs to go between my cable modem and router? Do these things mess with NAT routing at all for games, mumble, jabber, etc?

I never bothered looking at the instructions, so if there are specific needs I might have just gotten lucky. Just plug it up, tape the GPS up to a window, and give it 4 hours to program.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The sprint move is amazing. If they can hang on until their LTE network is good to go I think they'll do very well as the cheapest iphone provider with a solid network.

If not, what will happen? Verizon could buy them easily but I'm not sure that would fly with regulators.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Almost every time I want to listen to music on my 3d, the voice dialer pops open and starts calling someone, no matter what the music player is :argh:
I'm not even using a headset! Someone help

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

sanchez posted:

The sprint move is amazing. If they can hang on until their LTE network is good to go I think they'll do very well as the cheapest iphone provider with a solid network.

If not, what will happen? Verizon could buy them easily but I'm not sure that would fly with regulators.

You realize that's like 2 years away at least right?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Appachai posted:

You realize that's like 2 years away at least right?

Yes, I was not thinking next week.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Duckman2008 posted:

gently caress, if I have to sell IPhones at 5% of normal commission this might screw me over. I really really hope not, i've been dreading iPhone commissions (aka, $0 commissions) for a month now.

That would really really blow. Sprint looks like they literally bet the house on this though. Their stock is crashing and crashing. Hopefully this pays off for them or this will be their killing blow. I'm hoping so as I put some money into them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
With the pace of hardware refreshing on the android side- a given considering how many manufacturers are in competition, I don't think the decision to go iphone will be as lopsided as people think. You figure apple releases hardware once a year, maybe even longer. If you have a dual core iphone 4S with a fast gpu that's 3.7 inches, and then an android phone that's 4.5 - 5 inches, quad core with a fast gpu and light/thin..the people that want iphones will still go iphone..but the tech enthusiasts who are on the fence will go with the phone with the better specs for the same price.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sprint is getting the iPhone. Now everyone can shut up about it I guess :dance:

EDIT:
http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/04/sprint-iphone-4s-announced-available-october-14/

quote:

As expected, Apple has added one more major US carrier to its iPhone lineup: Sprint. The Sprint iPhone 4S marks the beginning of the company’s “multibillion dollar gamble” to sell at least eight million iPhones a year and save itself from the downward slide that arguably began with the Nextel merger.

Specs on the Sprint iPhone 4S are identical to the Verizon version: EVDO for 3G, the A5 processor, 8-megapixel camera capable of shooting 1080p video, and the Retina Display. It will be available with 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB at prices ranging from $199 to $399 on October 14th. The Sprint iPhone 4S is also a world phone, including a GSM radio for data and voice outside the US. WiMAX 4G is not included, but given that no other carriers will have a 4G-enabled iPhone 4S, that’s not really a huge liability. Sprint will continue to offer its unlimited plan, sans data throttling or data caps — a differentiation the carrier surely hopes will help it poach enough customers to turn things around.

That leaves T-Mobile as the last of the big four US carriers to not offer the iPhone. In a post on T-Mobile’s corporate blog, Chief Marketing Office Cole Brodman said that T-Mobile thinks “the iPhone is a great device and Apple knows that we’d like to add it to our line-up.” That doesn’t look like it’s in the cards in the near future.

It remains to be seen whether or not the iPhone will help out Sprint as a company, but it’s certainly going to help out Sprint customers looking for an alternative to its Android offerings.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So no bigger screen iPhone 5? Urg! Is Sprint at least getting the white iPhone 4Gs?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

So no bigger screen iPhone 5? Urg! Is Sprint at least getting the white iPhone 4Gs?

EDIT: Just forget I said anything, I read your post wrong.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
So, anybody making odds on whether this 3g smartphone will qualify for $40 sero?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

No exclusive wimax iPhone 5? Shocking!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Does this mean 3G will get even slower? 4G is nice and all but it's unusable unless you're outside/next to a window.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think I'll stick with my EVO3D instead of trying to flip it and inevitably having to front $2-300 on top of that for a full-price 4S. I'm glad there will be another choice once my next upgrade rolls around (assuming Sprint lasts that long!) :v:

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

WoG posted:

So, anybody making odds on whether this 3g smartphone will qualify for $40 sero?

It should be allowed unless they change the policy again. You can get an ET or Evo3D so I don't see why not. You shouldn't have to pay the $10 data fee unless Sprint changes the SERO policy as currently only 4G smartphones require the data fee.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ZeroAX posted:

It should be allowed unless they change the policy again. You can get an ET or Evo3D so I don't see why not. You shouldn't have to pay the $10 data fee unless Sprint changes the SERO policy as currently only 4G smartphones require the data fee.
I know that's currently the case, I'm just cynically expecting a new exception.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Will Sprint's network allow multitasking on the iPhone such as AT&T's network (such as speaking on the phone while looking up maps) or is it limited like Verizon's network to one or the other?

Edit: found out that is a limitation of CDMA. Oh well.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 4, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

It looked like the 4S is now one standardized GSM+CDMA model, so I wonder if that means it can be activated between carriers. Get your iPhone 4S on Sprint, then when they crumble, activate it on Verizon?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Will Sprint's network allow multitasking on the iPhone such as AT&T's network (such as speaking on the phone while looking up maps) or is it limited like Verizon's network to one or the other?

With the exception of I think the Thunderbolt on Verizon, which does some crazy thing no other phone does, that's a limitation of CDMA. Although you'll likely be able to do both if you're connected to a wifi network, just like on Android phones.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

brc64 posted:

It looked like the 4S is now one standardized GSM+CDMA model, so I wonder if that means it can be activated between carriers. Get your iPhone 4S on Sprint, then when they crumble, activate it on Verizon?

I doubt it between Sprint and Verizon, taking a Sprint one to AT&T or T-Mobile would be easy though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ddogflex posted:

I doubt it between Sprint and Verizon, taking a Sprint one to AT&T or T-Mobile would be easy though.
Unless it's locked from North American GSM providers, like other Sprint world phones are.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

ddogflex posted:

Sprint and Verizon wont let you activate each others phones, but if Sprint went out of business (or was purchased by Verizon) I think they would take you.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Unless it's locked from North American GSM providers, like other Sprint world phones are.

They are locked period a lot of times, call them and they unlock it. (Unless this is magically different for an iPhone.)

edit:

ZeroAX posted:

Sprint and Verizon wont let you activate each others phones, but if Sprint went out of business (or was purchased by Verizon) I think they would take you.

Well, yeah, if you were already a Verizon customer I assume they would let you continue to use your handset. If Sprint just went out of business, I doubt it though. Honestly Sprint isn't going to implode in the next year anyway, who cares.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 4, 2011

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
So are there any good roms for rooted EVO 3ds? For the first time in probably ten years of owning a cell phone I actually dropped mine and the screen cracked pretty crazy. I was looking for a way to just take an image of the broken one (which amazingly still works like theres no problem), and dump it onto the new one. Apparently the only way to do this is by rooting the phone.

Worth it to root the 3d? Or should I just manually re-set the whole thing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I upgraded my phone a year ago when Sprint still had yearly upgrades with Premiere and I needed something to get me by after my Pre broke. Since they've cancelled the Premiere one year upgrades, what's the best way for me to get a subsidized price on the new iPhone? My current ETF is pro-rated down to $120 or so, so it's make more sense for me to switch carriers and pay the fee than it would to pay full price (if they even let me.)

Is there some way to pay the ETF dollars to get out of my current contract and then re-contract with Sprint again? I'd really rather stick with Sprint but I assume that there's just no way to do so and get a new phone, and I really despise the phone I'm on now.