Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Not sure if I should put this here or the general thread, but anyway, at some point, the web Market decided it would no longer push app downloads to my phone. It's Market 3.1.5, and I'm on a G2x running CM7.

You running multiple accounts on your phone? I have that Market too. It has a nasty habit of conveniently forgetting which account it's using. This means that the Market app on your phone is willfully ignoring your web requests until you switch it over. Open the Market, hit Menu > Accounts and make sure yours is selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Joining in on the MIUI talk, Glitch 12 with MIUI 1916 on my Fascinate is amazing. I think my battery life has doubled (of course glitch 12 undervolts the screen from 3 to 2.75), the drat torch works now, and it feels smoother. Never going back to that Touchwiz stock bullshit.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just wanted to throw out there that I just rooted my AT&T SGS2 in about five minutes. It was extremely easy, following the instructions in this XDA thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1285894

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ProjektorBoy posted:

You running multiple accounts on your phone? I have that Market too. It has a nasty habit of conveniently forgetting which account it's using. This means that the Market app on your phone is willfully ignoring your web requests until you switch it over. Open the Market, hit Menu > Accounts and make sure yours is selected.
Nope, just the one account and it's selected.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ProjektorBoy posted:

Are there any known fixes or workarounds for this (other than only using one account of course)? I have four accounts on my phone; two work Apps, one personal Apps, and one straight GMail since Google apparently can't be bothered getting all their services working right with Apps accounts. Everything's supposed to be tied to my personal Apps account, but Market keeps deciding that the GMail account is more interesting.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 4, 2011

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

FInally got my Epic 4G Touch rooted. However, I can't use tethering with my touchpad. I'm using a beta version of Wifi Tether and despite all the settings I try, either the network won't turn on or the touchpad can't detect the network that does work.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
You may need to change the security setting to WPA2, or try the latest stable build of Wireless Tether. I might even try Barnacle Tether if it still doesn't work.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I just noticed my video recorder sound seems to be broken, is that a known N1 nightly issue?

I'm re-installing RC1, I like the little fixes, but I feel like there's no compelling reason to be on nightlies at the moment.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Slopehead posted:

Edit 2: nope, swap partition is still around and did help my doubleshot experience. Face it, sense three is bulky as gently caress and isn't extremely well optimized. It's drat easy to set up, just don't try it on cyanogen based roms. It isn't needed. Also the script wont work.

That's more or less what I assumed, I'm running MIUI right now and for the most part it runs well. I'm sort of regretting getting a phone with such low specs but I really wanted a physical keyboard :smith: (seriously, I went from a Nexus One to a Vibrant and now this).

On to another topic! I'm going to get my mom a T-Mobile phone and I'm looking at older ones since she's cheap (despite making bank). I'm looking at the LG Optimus T right now, are there any roms/kernels that will boost the battery life? She won't be using it for the apps that much so I want to make sure it will last her at least a few days.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Vaporware posted:

I just noticed my video recorder sound seems to be broken, is that a known N1 nightly issue?

I'm re-installing RC1, I like the little fixes, but I feel like there's no compelling reason to be on nightlies at the moment.

Works for me. I'm on release 200, for what it's worth.

RC1 gave me too many little problems, and having the swipe unlocking screen with lockscreen audio controls appear before my screen pattern lock made being on a nightly worth it. So far, though, I don't know of any reason why I'd go newer than 200 yet, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Works for me. I'm on release 200, for what it's worth.

RC1 gave me too many little problems, and having the swipe unlocking screen with lockscreen audio controls appear before my screen pattern lock made being on a nightly worth it. So far, though, I don't know of any reason why I'd go newer than 200 yet, though.
200 has the broken Bluetooth though.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

yamdankee posted:

You may need to change the security setting to WPA2, or try the latest stable build of Wireless Tether. I might even try Barnacle Tether if it still doesn't work.

Apparently the issue I'm running into is that the tether apps on the GSII only broadcast in ad-hoc and the touchpad can't see that. drat, one thing I miss from the EVO 3D (which connected without a hitch).

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Vaporware posted:

While this appears to have fixed my bluetooth issue the video sound is still broken. I'll have to look into the apk to see if that's the issue.

Yeah the lockscreen responsiveness is kind of meh, but it's good enough until RC2.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just got an AT&T SGS2. I have it rooted with CWM flashed. I'm wondering if there's any ROM recommendations. I had CM7 on my old phone, and I liked it but I don't want to make my new phone into my old phone. I really like CM7's lock screen gestures to open apps, and using Golauncher EX (I like being able to hiding apps). Is CM7 my only option? Or are there other decent ROMS? With CM7 what is the compatibility like? I know it's similiar to the international I9000 version, but there's enough difference to make it a little off.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Ashex posted:

That's more or less what I assumed, I'm running MIUI right now and for the most part it runs well. I'm sort of regretting getting a phone with such low specs but I really wanted a physical keyboard :smith: (seriously, I went from a Nexus One to a Vibrant and now this).

A little update: I'm running the latest version of Unity 2.39 Sense 3 and RMK seems to have rewritten the ram optimization scripts along with a metric crapload of bugfixes, including everything I bitched to CJward about back when I ran 1.39. You have to set a few things to be killed on boot and wifi calling is irritatingly resistant to any attempts to not have it load in the background but for only 1ghz clock I'm pulling some excellent benchmarks via Antutu. Right around 3000 :smug: Vellamo scores me at 748, right behind the Evo3d too.

Battery life kinda sucks but I assume that is because it's super juicing the wifi chip. I can be roughly 100 feet away and still hook into the router inside, as opposed to Cyanogen which dropped in 30 feet. Still a drat sight better than the life I was getting on 1.39. The V9 kernel is very well written.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 5, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So what's kind of the timeline of what leads to cyanogenmod being built on ICS?

Does google open the source up to everyone immediately after the nexus prime goes on sale?

And after that what's involved? I understand a good bit of android driver type functionality for interfacing w/ hw components gps, sound, radio etc is done right in the kernel?

They will have to cook up kernels for all the phones? can existing things that make a desire hd GB kernel work on a desire hd be easily ported over to a desire hd ics kernel? Are there hw drivers outside the kernel? will existing gb ones help? or will everything have to be built from the ground up?

The extra stuff cm provides, lockscreen gestures, permissions management, renderfx etc. Is that stuff sort of bolted on to aosp with some apks or is it pretty well ingrained/coded right into android system files?

In short: when I get?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 5, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If your phone is fully supported by open-source software, it shouldn't be too long after source release before you start seeing some sort of builds (though not necessarily CM). If there are binary drivers involved, you might have missing or partial functionality on some components, particularly if the component is buggy and causes problems on the open source driver. An example of this I think is the GPS in the Evo, where we all had massive problems on early CM7 until I'm pretty sure the CM team just gave up and bundled the HTC-supplied driver. I don't know if they ever got it working reliably on a fully open driver.

It is of course promising that Cyanogen is with Samsung, I'd expect that means he's had his hands in the ICS code for some time.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 5, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wagonburner posted:

Does google open the source up to everyone immediately after the nexus prime goes on sale?
GB AOSP sources were pushed on 12/17, the day after the Nexus S's US release. One hopes Google would release ICS sources as swiftly, but they're not obligated to release them at all (see Honeycomb).

Worse, the AOSP source repos have been offline since kernel.org was hacked over a month ago. Most people probably don't care about that since that's "old" code, but I somewhat routinely check changelogs for repos I don't have local copies of and that really pisses me off. I supposed they might be mirrored/stashed elsewhere and the links on source.android.com not updated. But between this stupidly-long-outage and the Honeycomb debacle, it's my impression that Google/OHA doesn't give two shits about AOSP anymore with Android's present popularity. I mean, the platform isn't going anywhere so why bother?

Wagonburner posted:

And after that what's involved?
It depends on how the CM port is approached. One way is to start "fresh" with ICS sources and merge in any remaining-relevant CM7 changes. In which case the ports for the Nexus S(/4G) will come first since they'll have official ICS support and full sources in AOSP. The Nexus Prime should get support also quickly, once handsets get in the hands of developers.

For other devices it's tough. There's AOSP (and CM) kernel repos for each of the major Android "platforms", Snapdragon (msm), Hummingbird/S5P (samsung), OMAP (omap), Tegra (escapes me), etc. But I don't know how many of those are going to be updated for ICS in AOSP. Nexus S covers samsung, Nexus Prime omap, and Xoom tegra. But there's no official ICS/AOSP Snapdragon device to my knowledge, since they're dropping Nexus One support (right?).

Meanwhile, third-party manufacturers will release kernel sources for individual devices as official ICS ports happen, which may not be for a while. So it's a tossup between porting device support from GB kernels, or folding in manufacturer ICS kernel support when those releases happen. In short, the kernel situation is likely to be a giant clusterfuck for a while, which it already is for recent GB devices.

Wagonburner posted:

I understand a good bit of android driver type functionality for interfacing w/ hw components gps, sound, radio etc is done right in the kernel?
Ideally device-specific drivers are maintained in the kernel with general, abstract interfaces presented to userspace. This much is true for input (for the most part), screen, sound, and WiFi. Radio is actually done on a separate processor with a userspace component, the RIL, that interfaces with Android. Ideally that's well abstracted too, and I think it is on HTC phones but it's not on Samsung. Camera and GPS are all over the map, sometimes but often with device-specific kernel and userspace portions. WiMAX should be mostly kernelspace, and since the debut of the Nexus S 4G there should finally be clean userspace hooks too, but I don't know. LTE is "just another radio", but since no Google phone has shipped with LTE to date (Xoom is pseudo-dev device, except there's no Honeycomb AOSP), it's been a framework bolt-on in all circumstances. Hopefully that's sorted out in ICS.

And yes, there's proprietary kernel drivers too. Usually for things like 3D/GPU acceleration, but could frankly exist for any riff-raff component depending on the phone (e.g., the SGSI's proprietary storage stack). Kernel modules are kernel version specific, so they can't be dropped into ICS kernels. If the ABI subset used by proprietary modules hasn't changed much between GB and ICS, they might work by hexediting vermagic. If not, it's pretty hosed. At that point one hopes for a leak of an ICS build of the proprietary module from a "similar-enough" ICS-supported device. Or one backports enough changes from the ICS kernel to the GB one, so that a GB kernel can be used with ICS.

Pretty much at that point, people just do poo poo left and right whether it makes sense or not, just to get the drat thing to run.

Wagonburner posted:

The extra stuff cm provides, lockscreen gestures, permissions management, renderfx etc. Is that stuff sort of bolted on to aosp with some apks or is it pretty well ingrained/coded right into android system files?
It's either part of framework .jars or separate .apks. But unless you just want to use the straight-up CM7 versions on CM9, any of that which is based on AOSP code will probably be rebased on ICS.

Wagonburner posted:

In short: when I get?
:confused:

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 5, 2011

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Is it possible to delete objects with Root Explorer like ringtones or .apk's in the /data/ folder without destroying my rom? I'd like to ask this before attempting to do it to save myself the hassle of having to restore my phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nickhimself posted:

Is it possible to delete objects with Root Explorer like ringtones or .apk's in the /data/ folder without destroying my rom?
Any .apk in /data corresponds to an installed application. You need them if you actually intend to use said app. If not, why not just "Uninstall" them through "Manage Applications"?

Ringtones should be OK if you're not actively using them. But again, they should correspond to an installed app, do they not?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Any .apk in /data corresponds to an installed application. You need them if you actually intend to use said app. If not, why not just "Uninstall" them through "Manage Applications"?

Ringtones should be OK if you're not actively using them. But again, they should correspond to an installed app, do they not?

Oh okay, I was under the impression that those were the apps that would be restored if you did a factory reset.

I don't believe the ringtones are part of an application. They came with a fresh install of cm7 so I'm hoping that deleting them will not affect anything.

edit: well poo poo, I guess I can't remove the ringtones through that method either as they appear to be system protected and my interest to remove them stops there. Oh well, there goes my trimming the fat idea for making a nandroid backup as small as I could get it. Not that I need the space, I just didn't like seeing system restore 500 drat ringtones I never use so figured removing them would be up my alley.

edit2: actually, if I download the rom and edit the zip file, will it still boot correctly? I noticed the build.prop points to a few specific tones that I could edit and just keep one of each type so (in my head) logically if I remove all but those tones I should be okay as long as I'm not screwing with anything else.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 5, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nickhimself posted:

Oh okay, I was under the impression that those were the apps that would be restored if you did a factory reset.
Those are in /system. Some /data apps might be downloaded and restored automatically after a factory reset, particularly if they're placed there because there's not enough room in /system, but that's usually not the case. I don't know if CM does that at all either, but some vendors do. In any event, it shouldn't be harmful to "Uninstall" anything in /data.

As for the ring tones, when in doubt you can replace them with a silent or short duration tone of the same type if you're never going to use them and you don't want to take up much space. That's the somewhat crude way of dealing with this that's least likely to break anything.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

halokiller posted:

Apparently the issue I'm running into is that the tether apps on the GSII only broadcast in ad-hoc and the touchpad can't see that. drat, one thing I miss from the EVO 3D (which connected without a hitch).

How'd you get Wireless Tether to work on your Evo 3D? It worked fine for me on my normal Epic (running the Syndicate Frozen ROM), but the few times I've tried it with the 3D, my Windows 7 computer always says there's no internet access.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nickhimself posted:

I don't believe the ringtones are part of an application. They came with a fresh install of cm7 so I'm hoping that deleting them will not affect anything.

edit: well poo poo, I guess I can't remove the ringtones through that method either as they appear to be system protected and my interest to remove them stops there. Oh well, there goes my trimming the fat idea for making a nandroid backup as small as I could get it. Not that I need the space, I just didn't like seeing system restore 500 drat ringtones I never use so figured removing them would be up my alley.

edit2: actually, if I download the rom and edit the zip file, will it still boot correctly? I noticed the build.prop points to a few specific tones that I could edit and just keep one of each type so (in my head) logically if I remove all but those tones I should be okay as long as I'm not screwing with anything else.
You can delete APKs you don't need and any ringtone you want without any harm at all, go hog wild. You could also take them out of the zip but it's easier if you're going to be flashing CM7 a lot (like nightlies) to just make a removal script that you can flash that deletes them. (I have one if you need it.)

When you change the zip you'll break the signature so you'll need to either re-sign the zip or turn off signature verification in recovery.

What APKs are you thinking of deleting?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I'm running a CM7 beta on my At&t SGSII and it's freaking smooth as silk. The phone is so snappy, and the screen is amazing. One thing though, is that the phone has an internal SD card, and I installed my own SD card as well, but I can't figure out how to make it use my SD card. I'd like to use it for Google Music, but I can't get it to use the card. It mounts fine, and everything, but I have no idea how to point data to it.

Any ideas?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So I'm running a CM7 beta on my At&t SGSII and it's freaking smooth as silk. The phone is so snappy, and the screen is amazing. One thing though, is that the phone has an internal SD card, and I installed my own SD card as well, but I can't figure out how to make it use my SD card. I'd like to use it for Google Music, but I can't get it to use the card. It mounts fine, and everything, but I have no idea how to point data to it.

Any ideas?
I'm not really sure what you're trying to do, the media scanner should detect music on an external SD card as well though. Isn't Google Music a cloud streaming service? What do SD cards matter?

EDIT: It's not like there's a shortage of room on the internal SD card either

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Shanakin posted:

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do, the media scanner should detect music on an external SD card as well though. Isn't Google Music a cloud streaming service? What do SD cards matter?

EDIT: It's not like there's a shortage of room on the internal SD card either

Here's how it works:

Phone /emmc/: 2gb
SD Card (/mnt/sdcard): 16gb
Ext SD Card (/mnt/emmc): 32gb

I can't do anything with the 32gb sd card. I can't find any way to do anything with it. Google Music lets you download songs locally, ideally I'd like to fill the 32GB with that.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
Just wanted to give a quick plug for the ROM I've been using on my EVO3D for the past few weeks.

http://tinyurl.com/3ncwkgd

It's called WTSB and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but the xda forums. It's got a pretty robust featurelist for a ROM that keeps Sense around. The best part though is easily the battery life:

That's over almost 2 days with light/regular usage. The only downside is development has kind of stalled since the developers have also started a ROM based off of Sense 3.5, but I think it's still worth a shot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Here's how it works:

Phone /emmc/: 2gb
SD Card (/mnt/sdcard): 16gb
Ext SD Card (/mnt/emmc): 32gb

I can't do anything with the 32gb sd card. I can't find any way to do anything with it. Google Music lets you download songs locally, ideally I'd like to fill the 32GB with that.
Before CM7 integrated it into the ROM, there was a script that reversed the mountpoints for emmc and sdcard on the G2x. Not ideal, but maybe something to look into?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

hooah posted:

How'd you get Wireless Tether to work on your Evo 3D? It worked fine for me on my normal Epic (running the Syndicate Frozen ROM), but the few times I've tried it with the 3D, my Windows 7 computer always says there's no internet access.

Try the latest beta. Works great for me. Even works with 4G.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Before CM7 integrated it into the ROM, there was a script that reversed the mountpoints for emmc and sdcard on the G2x. Not ideal, but maybe something to look into?

Well, I'm running CM7, maybe it's already there?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FlyingCheese posted:

Try the latest beta. Works great for me. Even works with 4G.

What's the full name of it? Market search! :argh:

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Don't get it from the Market, download it from the Google project page:

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

It's currently up to 3.1 beta 6, but I've been using 3.1 beta 5 with no problems on my EVO 3D.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Don't get it from the Market, download it from the Google project page:

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

It's currently up to 3.1 beta 6, but I've been using 3.1 beta 5 with no problems on my EVO 3D.

I'm scared to use these apps because I don't want to jeopardize my unlimited data on AT&T.

For those who tether all the time, do you have balls of steel or just not care about losing your unlimited (assuming you have unlimited)?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I never thought about it since Sprint's data is still unlimited and unthrottled.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

rotaryfun posted:

Speaking of MIUI, I recently started using it again on my Droid X because they were able to get it to work with the GB kernel.

I had tried it before and was lucky to get maybe 6 or 7 hours of normal use for me out of it before I needed to start sweating a charger.

I've been running 1.9.23 as of Saturday and I've got to say, I don't know if it's the GB kernel difference or not, but battery life has been a champ for me so far. It's really come a long way. Because of the GB kernel or not, they did something right. Really enjoying it.

Does the camera shutter button work with the MIUI camera (and do you need a seperate fix with MIUI anymore)?

I'll be honest, the mein reason besides battery life that's keeping me from dropping Liberty is being able to use the shutter when taking pictures :ohdear:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Is there any way to manually change your PRL with MIUI? I know you can use CDMA workshop but I'd love a method that can be done right on the phone. Wish ##775# worked on non-sense roms.

Edit: Evo 3D

Mina fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 6, 2011

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Krittick posted:

Is there any way to manually change your PRL with MIUI? I know you can use CDMA workshop but I'd love a method that can be done right on the phone. Wish ##775# worked on non-sense roms.

Edit: Evo 3D
The only methods I've seen for the EVOs involve either ##775# or CDMA Workshop.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Mr. Despair posted:

Does the camera shutter button work with the MIUI camera (and do you need a seperate fix with MIUI anymore)?

I'll be honest, the mein reason besides battery life that's keeping me from dropping Liberty is being able to use the shutter when taking pictures :ohdear:

It all works great. I've not run into anything wrong except for editing transactions within mint app which really doesn't bother me.

Shutter button doesn't start the camera but it will take pictures.

Also, since installing MIUI with GB kernel, I've been getting 12-14 hours of moderate use and still end the day with 50% battery left.

And nope, no seperate fix.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

rotaryfun posted:

It all works great. I've not run into anything wrong except for editing transactions within mint app which really doesn't bother me.

Shutter button doesn't start the camera but it will take pictures.

Also, since installing MIUI with GB kernel, I've been getting 12-14 hours of moderate use and still end the day with 50% battery left.

And nope, no seperate fix.

Awesome, sounds like I should reinstall MIUI then! Thanks.