Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
what's up with the split spoiler on the hatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Pseudonym posted:

To revive some of the JukeChat that's been going on: Nissan is stuffing the 520HP 3.8L V6 from the GT-R into a one-off concept, the Juke-R.

Are they sure they can't make money selling this?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

rscott posted:

what's up with the split spoiler on the hatch?

Maybe the antenna gets in the way.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Considering that it's getting the entire GT-R drivetrain as well, driving that would probably equate to reaching spiritual nirvana

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

anonumos posted:

Are they sure they can't make money selling this?

Considering it's hand built the answer is somewhere between "gently caress no" and :lol:

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008
Not sure if this has been mentioned but just saw this posted on Uncrate.

quote:

VW has a knack for making fun cars, and the Volkswagen Buggy Up Concept ($TBA) is no exception. Based on the company's new Up! city car and inspired by the Beetle-based beach buggies of the '60s, the Buggy Up features a reinforced underbody, a roof-less and door-less exterior, neoprene-covered seats, a completely waterproof interior, and an iPod-powered infotainment system that pulls out to serve as a portable sound system. Sadly, there's no word yet on a production model, but you can put us down for one if/when it ever appears.

I would love to have one of these, looks fun to drive.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Griffith86 posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but just saw this posted on Uncrate.

I would love to have one of these, looks fun to drive.

Hmm, where have I seen this before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQfbc2dA6YI

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gripen5 posted:

The Sonata Turbo recommends 87. Not sure why exactly.

Because the engine is designed and tested to run just fine on 87. There used to be a sticky thread on Prius Chat (don't ask) saying that higher octane than 87 doesn't actually help gas mileage (measured per gallon).

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

BonzoESC posted:

Because the engine is designed and tested to run just fine on 87. There used to be a sticky thread on Prius Chat (don't ask) saying that higher octane than 87 doesn't actually help gas mileage (measured per gallon).

It's all about how much timing you can run on the ignition maps in the ECU. People don't put 100 octane in racing cars to feel awesome, they do it because their tuner was able to run a ton more timing and thus make more power.

Running 87 octane on a turbocharged engine isn't bad if the tune was created with that fuel quality in mind. There's a guy with a supercharged Exige in Hong Kong that had the car shipped to California and tuned on 87 because that's the best they can get over there. He lost 20-30hp but otherwise it ran fine.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Gripen5 posted:

The Sonata Turbo recommends 87. Not sure why exactly.

And the optima EX twin turbo. They do it because people like my dad shop for cars based on "does it take premium or not". I want to know if theres any 91 tunes for the optima ex

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 5, 2011

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Considering it's hand built the answer is somewhere between "gently caress no" and :lol:
Not to mention it's ugly as sin and they'd probably sell less than 10 world wide.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BonzoESC posted:

Hell, many motorcycles are designed for 87 AKI (92 RON) gas, even though they can have upwards of 12:1 compression and over 130 hp/liter.

So it's not just economy-minded vehicles that run fine on low-octane gas, it's all down to engine design and ignition timing.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It seems like direct injection helps a lot when it comes to running low octane, the new Hyundai 2.0 and the new Ford 5.0 are both fine with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

sanchez posted:

It seems like direct injection helps a lot when it comes to running low octane, the new Hyundai 2.0 and the new Ford 5.0 are both fine with it.

It absolutely does because the engine designers can determine precisely how the fuel enters the cylinder and how it's dispersed. They can also mess with timing far beyond when the valves open, delaying the introduction of the fuel into the combustion chamber until the last possible moment so it doesn't have a chance to detonate prematurely.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

sanchez posted:

The Ford 5.0 doesn't use DI. I know they have the injectors mounted for a direct shot into the chamber but it's not the same thing.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Pseudonym posted:

To revive some of the JukeChat that's been going on: Nissan is stuffing the 520HP 3.8L V6 from the GT-R into a one-off concept, the Juke-R.

Looks like at least 3 visible pieces of sheet metal they forgot to glue unnecessary plastic poo poo to. Come on, Nissan, you can do better than that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've always wondered: if you're going to go to the trouble of making an AWD vehicle, why not offer a RWD version instead of a FWD version for people who don't want AWD? RWD vehicles feel so, so much better to drive than FWD, and if you're worried about winter/offroad driving, you should go with AWD anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
In most cases the rear part of the drivetrain on FWD based AWD cars isn't nearly beefy enough to support all the power going through it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

PT6A posted:

I've always wondered: if you're going to go to the trouble of making an AWD vehicle, why not offer a RWD version instead of a FWD version for people who don't want AWD? RWD vehicles feel so, so much better to drive than FWD, and if you're worried about winter/offroad driving, you should go with AWD anyway.

Because the applied AWD design in that car doesnt mean that you can put 100% of power to the rear as the drivetrain or suspension might not be up to it. That and a front heavy transverse engine RWD car would handle like total crap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nissan's promotional video for the Juke's AWD system seems to imply that it's not full-time, so I suspect doing something like the Impreza RWD conversions is not really possible without reinforcing parts of the rear end (viscous plates in the rear axle stubs?) and subverting the transfer case/centre diff clutch controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzqRmwFg70M

The front suspension and transaxle are probably pulled directly off the FWD Versa.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 6, 2011

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Juke-R sounds way funnier than it should be.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mustang GT500 is getting a 5.8L engine, still supercharged.

quote:

Fans of large displacement and forced induction (isn't that everyone?) can officially rejoice today as the recently approved deal between Ford and the United Auto Workers has answered a question that's been on our minds ever since Chevrolet upped the horsepower ante with its Camaro ZL1. Yes, folks, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will be blessed with a 5.8-liter supercharged V8 engine.

While conventional wisdom has always been that the easiest way to increase horsepower and torque was to bore-and-stroke your way to more displacement, an interesting series of spy shots showing one conspicuously oversize intercooler led some to believe Ford was ditching the supercharger in favor of twin turbos. Not so, apparently. Ford's latest contract with the UAW reveals that its Romeo Engine Assembly Plant will receive a $50 million investment to build the 5.8L supercharged mill.

Naturally, contract talk doesn't include a whiff on horsepower or torque, but you can bet Ford is planning on eking out more than the 580 horses that Chevy has corralled from the 2012 Camaro ZL1. Something around 600 seems like a safe bet, but we'll just have to wait for an official announcement from Ford. In the meantime, sweet supercharged dreams.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

sanchez posted:

It also helps build up carbon on the back of your intake valves. :(

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Man, that seafoam video would have been epic.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

If that 600HP number is accurate it sure takes the wind out of the ZL1's sails.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

In addition to the physical limitations that the others have explained, most AWD vehicles are already set up in the way you describe - All trucks, truck based SUVs, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, all BMWs, Mercedes, Infiniti, etc. Th FWD-or-AWD thing is more the exception than the rule.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Th FWD-or-AWD thing is more the exception than the rule.

It depends on market. Virtually every Japanese car comes in and awd variant in its home market and the vast majority of these are fwd when not awd.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dissss posted:

It depends on market. Virtually every Japanese car comes in and awd variant in its home market and the vast majority of these are fwd when not awd.

Depends on the platform, like was the engine bay designed for transverse or longitudinal engine layouts. Lower end (thus most models) cars tend to be FWD with transverse motors, so their AWD variants keep the same engine and position. Subarus could be either, but I guess it's easier for them to chop the rear drive components and simplify the transmission a bit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

In addition to the physical limitations that the others have explained, most AWD vehicles are already set up in the way you describe - All trucks, truck based SUVs, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, all BMWs, Mercedes, Infiniti, etc. Th FWD-or-AWD thing is more the exception than the rule.

Outside of trucks, which are obviously a huge segment, FWD-AWD is probably more common. It also depends if you're making the distinction between xfer case selectable 4WD and automatic clutch pack/viscous diff AWD.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Guess I really didn't think about the issues for all that long, but thanks for all the info anyway! I should do my research before I open my mouth. I completely forgot about trucks, too (ironic, as I used to own one, and it was part-time 4WD and otherwise RWD). And I drove my Mom's 330xi for a time...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

With trucks and SUVs anyhow it's not like the RWD version is super awesome handling and the AWD one is not. Most AWD vehicles that are at all fun to drive are derived from originally RWD platforms, or are dedicated AWD like Subaru.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

With trucks and SUVs anyhow it's not like the RWD version is super awesome handling and the AWD one is not. Most AWD vehicles that are at all fun to drive are derived from originally RWD platforms, or are dedicated AWD like Subaru.

On the other hand, there's the Evo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The Evo has a transversely mounted engine, while basically all Subarus have longitudinally mounted engines.

I found an old (circa 2005) article that explains it fairly well, unless there's been major changes to the drivetrain design for the Evo X
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/05q1/why_do_these_similar_cars_feel_so_different_-feature

quote:

First off, although these cars appear to be quite similar (turbocharged four-cylinder engines, four-door bodies, four-wheel drive, limited-slip front and rear differentials, etc.), there is a major difference in the way the four-wheel-drive systems distribute engine torque.

The Subaru employs an electromagnetic clutch on the center differential. Under normal driving conditions, say you're just cruising down the interstate, the diff clutch is disengaged, and 65 percent of the engine power is routed to the rear wheels, with the remaining 35 to the front (a 35/65 front-to-rear split). The car's engine computer adjusts that center-diff clutch, based on information from the yaw-rate and throttle-position sensors, and can send as much as 50 percent of engine torque to the front wheels. So the Subaru varies the torque split between 50/50 and 35/65. The driver can also manually select the torque split via a center-console switch.

The Mitsubishi, on the other hand, never sends the majority of engine torque to the rear axle. Instead, it can send all the engine torque to the front wheels or 50 percent of it (using an electrohydraulic clutch on the center diff). So the Evo varies the front-to-rear torque split between 100/0 and 50/50. In addition to the yaw-rate and throttle-position sensors, the Evo has a steering-wheel-angle sensor that also provides the computer with information.

Now, we're simplifying things a little because it would take pages to describe exactly when those center-diff clutches operate, but basically, the aim of these systems is to make the car go where the driver wants. For sporty cars like these, four-wheel drive can simply be another tool in the engineer's box that improves handling, and the computer algorithm that controls these center diffs is tuned in much the same way as the car's suspension. Four-wheel drive is another interconnected variable—like shocks, springs, anti-roll bars, and tires—that affects vehicle handling.

An Evo is still basically a FWD based AWD system, while the Subaru system is essentially RWD-based with no dedicated RWD version (until the new BRZ comes out).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

The Evo has a transversely mounted engine, while basically all Subarus have longitudinally mounted engines.

An Evo is still basically a FWD based AWD system, while the Subaru system is essentially RWD-based with no dedicated RWD version.

That was his point:

Fucknag posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Most AWD vehicles that are at all fun to drive are derived from originally RWD platforms, or are dedicated AWD like Subaru.

On the other hand, there's the Evo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

note my key use of the word "most"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sorry for all the :supaburn: pedantic posting :supaburn:
I just didn't think Fucknag needed a tutorial on the Evo's drivetrain.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Dunno, I love pedantic posting. No joke. I think it's useful to have that sort of specific, technical discussion.

Similarly, I was more posting to add more info not to disagree.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
2wd Subarus are actually FWD...That's more of an exception though I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, it gets even more confusing with subaru because different transmission types have different AWD systems.

Automatic transmission ones that do not have VTD are 90%F 10%R unless slip is detected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah what is the AWD setup with the new CVT? I think the one on the upcoming Impreza is basically the same as the one on the current Legacy, right? Is it basically the same as the previous automatic?

On that note, the new Impreza looks better than the old one, but it looks like no turbo version for the time being and the only engine choice looks seriously underpowered - 148 hp and 145 lb/ft, compared to 170 hp rated output for the outgoing 2.5 liter. Combine that with drivetrain loss due to AWD and possible funky feel due to the mandatory CVT, and it seems like the NA Impreza will be slow as hell.

I mean, I know power isn't everything, but considering the price is staying exactly the same as the outgoing model, the new Impreza really sounds like a serious downgrade.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 7, 2011