Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Berk Berkly posted:

Plus you can stack food/water for massive healing, easy enough to rival stimpacks. Oh, the power of gluttony.

Pfft. Stimpaks? Useless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
By the end of my survivalist hardcore run I had about 150 stimpacks and I wasn't even trying to collect them.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
For my next run I think I'll do a high luck character with speech and survival, but I can't decide between energy weapons and melee.

Energy weapons would be more useful but I'm worried about ammo.
Melee weapons would be badass but I'm worried about dealing/receiving damage.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

SpaceMost posted:

For my next run I think I'll do a high luck character with speech and survival, but I can't decide between energy weapons and melee.

Early on, energy weapon ammo (and repair items) can be a little scarce, but just as with guns it quickly becomes trivial. Vigilant Recycler helps a bunch too.

If you take the right perks, dealing/taking damage on a melee run is a complete non-issue. Crits get entirely overpowered by mid-game. Plus it's great fun.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If I already have 10 luck will the perk that adds to crit chance worth 5 luck do anything?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm thinking of picking up Lonesome Road. The guy on the last page said it was pretty good? Any other opinions of it? I really like its premise above some of the other Fallout DLC I've played. The thought of a long trek to a far away city is kind of great sounding, Fallout always delivers best along those lines.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SpaceMost posted:

Ammo is pretty easy to come by for energy weapons, make nice with the BoS and they give you free ammo in a little box and get the vigilant recycler perk to make best use of your ammo.

Melee I would also pump up unarmed since a few really great perks that affect melee weapons also require unarmed skill. Damage is no problem really, either wear light armor and take the perks that make it better and faster so you can get in quick and start dealing damage or heavy armor to just tank it. Unarmed and melee weapons are mostly balanced so they deal way more damage to make up for the fact that you have to run in close while taking fire.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Once you hit the REPCONN HQ you're basically set for life on energy ammo. I think technically the vanilla plasma caster gives you the most bang per shot, so hauling to the silver rush and buying/stealing it ASAP could also be beneficial.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Add me to the list of people can't play on Casual. The food and water thing is just immersion gravy added to main course of heal over time stimpacks. Even after using even harder hardcore (pretty much doubles or triples hunger/h2o/sleep/rad loss) and other assorted masochist mods i find lack food and water as a nice annoyance at worst. Radiation was never an issue except couple of locations with direct exposure, even then it is 100 caps to fix your deadly mutation causing radiation. I just don't want to see my charming cowboy shoot people while being hungry or thirsty :ohdear:.

The stimpak and injury changes on the other hand causes a huge money drain (even more if you disable food&water healing with mods) but still they can be found anywhere so it just removes the in combat healing effectiveness which adds some sort of careful planning because you can't tank the damage of nations with your face and heal anymore. I find myself stealthing, laying mines and using grenades in favor of rushing, head first, like i did in Fallout 2.

In short, hardcore mode is not about making the game harder as it mentioned many times before. It just adds another layer of "my immersion :qq:" and makes you occasionally say "why the gently caress i am encumbered now?! oh, i need to gulp some water from an irradiated toilet and maybe eat 250 years old potato crisps to remedy that." during the game.

I have one question: I am still playing the vanilla, haven't touched any of the DLC yet, and wondering how many hours of extra gameplay those add. I am "no safe unopened, no terminal unhacked, listen every dialog" kinda guy so i am expecting something like 15-20 hours from all DLC combined. Am too far off?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
One word: Sneak.

Sneak attacks makes every bullet or melee attack massively more cost efficient, especially with crits. This provides both offense and defense in the form of minimizing the amount of time the enemy has to attack you(often none).

For energy weapons, you will want to invest in science for the various recycling and ammo conversion recopies at the workbench, as well as the perks. Veronica as a companion helps with on the spot ammo as well. Plus there are always recharging energy weapons for minimal-threat/emergency use.

quote:

I have one question: I am still playing the vanilla, haven't touched any of the DLC yet, and wondering how many hours of extra gameplay those add. I am "no safe unopened, no terminal unhacked, listen every dialog" kinda guy so i am expecting something like 15-20 hours from all DLC combined. Am too far off?

You could squeeze 10-15 hours of play from them with that kind of style. LR is probably the shortest and most straight forward with a few optional areas, but also the most difficult.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 4, 2011

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Is there a way of managing chems without having to bind them individually to action keys or open your inventory every time you want to use them? I kinda want to play a combat drug junkie but having to give up weapon binds or pause, scroll, click a few times, unpause etc. ruins the flow :(

Something that you can use to bind all 'COMBAT DRUGS' to one key and activate them with a hit, all 'SMART DRUGS' to another key and such. I'm rolling in the drat things.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

SpaceMost posted:

Energy weapons would be interesting early on but you could probably get by so long as you don't use them exclusively, just turning up the occasional Bright Brotherhood corpse can get you MFCs and repair parts semi-regularly past about Primm

Meelee always seems like a fun occasional gimmick but way too awkward for a serious playthrough. Maybe it's how I go at it, I tend to miss a lot because of the delayed impact.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Berk Berkly posted:

Veronica as a companion helps with on the spot ammo as well.

With Lonesome Road installed, ED-E obsoletes Veronica's perk by acting as a portable workbench and reloading bench.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Galewolf posted:

Dead Money and Old World Blues took me about 10 hours each to find/do everything, Honest Hearts I finished the main quest in about 5 and there was some extra stuff to finish off. Lonesome Road was about 7 or 8 and I had to come back later to find some pretty important items and because the enemies had respawned it took about another hour to get them. You'll definitely get at least your estimate out of them, maybe more.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I think they should have probably just merged melee and unarmed into a CQC skill to be honest. Hell, some of the "unarmed" weapons are bigger/long/heavier looking than basic knives.

Melee is great early game and late game. Early for cleaning up trash mobs without wasting ammo(like the mantis, flies, young geckos, etc). And it becomes a powerhouse late with appropriate skills like ninja and/or slayer. Allowing you not to worry about the weight of firearms and ammunition, or even much armor for that matter.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Great, thanks for the replies guys looking forward to that tasty extra play time since this is literally the only game i can endure playing more than half an hour nowadays.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Berk Berkly posted:

I think they should have probably just merged melee and unarmed into a CQC skill to be honest. Hell, some of the "unarmed" weapons are bigger/long/heavier looking than basic knives.

Melee is great early game and late game. Early for cleaning up trash mobs without wasting ammo(like the mantis, flies, young geckos, etc). And it becomes a powerhouse late with appropriate skills like ninja and/or slayer. Allowing you not to worry about the weight of firearms and ammunition, or even much armor for that matter.

Do me a favor, face a wall, do a punch.

Now, pick up an object and attack with that.

You'll notice that you just performed two different motions. There's a different art to both, believe it or not, which is why they're in different categories. Besides, punching is technically about fatiguing your opponent (hence it being categorized as an Endurance-backed skill), while melee is about making your opponent bleed (which is why it's a strength skill).

Besides, making a CQC skill would be against melee. Throwing knives and spears technically aren't close-quarters, they're ranged.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
The biggest problem I have with melee weapons is they're really awkward in third person. It's pretty hard to hit guys because of where the camera is.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cantorsdust posted:

That said, some of the spawns were just ridiculous. You'll get stuff like three deathclaws and three ghouls with anti-materiel rifles and rocket launchers spawning right on top of you.

Does this really happen? Because when I played Lonesome Road I never once noticed any random spawns. Every enemy save for the tunnelers and that Surprise Attack was just milling around in a set location, and once I killed them they were gone apart from the standard respawning after a couple of days thing. I even went back later after beating the DLC and it was the same enemies in the same locations.

Old World Blues isn't like that, for the most part. You have locations where certain enemies are likely to spawn, and they appear out of nowhere in places where there were none just moments before.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Galewolf posted:

Great, thanks for the replies guys looking forward to that tasty extra play time since this is literally the only game i can endure playing more than half an hour nowadays.

If you're super-thorough about exploration, OWB itself could get you ten hours, and the others are at least five hours apiece.

Obsidian :allears:

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008
If you do an unarmed/melee runthrough, be sure to take the Sneering Imperialist perk, so you can chuckle to yourself as you kill gun/ energy weapon-wielding "savages" in VATS with a beartrap attached to your hand or a sledgehammer or whatever.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The obvious solution for people who use the low-health weapons is to take Raul as he's the best companion next to Boone, and ED-E with his LR upgrades.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Berk Berkly posted:

Yeah I don't know how they can decide to scrap the big guns skill and fold it over into other skills leaving just guns but decide to just leave melee and unarmed separate skills even though they're still more similar to me than big guns and small guns were. Especially when you consider all the relevant perks for cqc affect both melee and unarmed but require you to train both up. Ninja takes 80 melee weapons and Slayer takes 90 unarmed but both have an effect on both forms of combat.

The exception being paralyzing palm, and that is why unarmed will always be the king of combat.

Dush posted:

The biggest problem I have with melee weapons is they're really awkward in third person. It's pretty hard to hit guys because of where the camera is.
What isn't harder to use in third person?

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 4, 2011

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

CommanderCoffee posted:

Do me a favor, face a wall, do a punch.

Please, don't be absurd. This is an RPG, and as such, has abstractions for various actions(skills) and qualities(stats). Using a Mini-gun, a Sniper Rifle, and a pistol all differ in execution but come under GUNS and for good reason.

Hell, even the Ninja and Slayer Perks have cross over effects.

quote:

The exception being paralyzing palm, and that is why unarmed will always be the king of combat.

Actually, it means that melee needed [Stab in the Kidney] as a counterpart. Though I would take [Violent Discombobulation] as a consolation prize.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 4, 2011

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Ddraig posted:

The obvious solution for people who use the low-health weapons is to take Raul as he's the best companion next to Boone, and ED-E with his LR upgrades.

Raul also has the best backstory, outfits, and voice actor. Plus he doesn't judge you for making GBS threads up the entire Mojave and eating everyone.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Or pay the 10 caps for some snake on a stick and avoid having to put points into an otherwise completely useless skill.

Survival allows me to make Healing Poultice so it's the best skill.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Raul's a ghoul, man. Nothing can phase him.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Wolfsheim posted:

If you're super-thorough about exploration, OWB itself could get you ten hours, and the others are at least five hours apiece.

Obsidian :allears:

I'm OCD as gently caress and this is the truth. I spent at least 10 hours on OWB.

However, it isn't just Obsidian. Fallout 3 was the same way. Not as good, but I still wandered around for hours. I'm replaying it right now, actually. Need a break before I go for my second New Vegas run.

penis bandana posted:

Raul also has the best backstory, outfits, and voice actor. Plus he doesn't judge you for making GBS threads up the entire Mojave and eating everyone.

I just wish he'd talk to me so I could finish his loyalty quest. :(

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Berk Berkly posted:

Please, don't be absurd. This is an RPG, and as such, has abstractions for various actions(skills) and qualities(stats). Using a Mini-gun, a Sniper Rifle, and a pistol all differ in execution but come under GUNS and for good reason.

Hell, even the Ninja and Slayer Perks have cross over effects.

The guns you listed are guns because they fire ballistic projectiles and have a trigger. Likewise, with Melee, you handle small Switchblades and large swords crafted out of car bumpers, and Unarmed covers any weapon either worn as a glove or worn across the knuckles, from Boxing Tape to Spiked Knuckles to pneumatically-driven Power Fists. Fist-type weapons are wielded in a different way than handled weapons, because they are different weapons classes. Yes, Ninja and Slayer are crossover effects, but then again, Rapid Reload covers any weapon with a magazine, Weapon Handling covers any weapon with a strength requirement, and Concentrated Fire covers both Guns and Energy Weapons. Just because skills cross over, doesn't mean the skills are or should be exactly the same. If that was done, well, we might as well just make a 'weapons' category and make having any specialization in any type of weapon useless.

I mean, yeah, it is a game and will have abstractions, but classifying two radically different methods of attack as the exact same is basically the same as classifying Energy Weapons and Guns as the same because they have a trigger and range.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hitting a person with a baseball bat and a boxing glove is completely different! However, a minigun and pistol both have triggers and bullets so they're the same. I'm a scientist.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Yeah I don't know how they can decide to scrap the big guns skill and fold it over into other skills leaving just guns but decide to just leave melee and unarmed separate skills even though they're still more similar to me than big guns and small guns were. Especially when you consider all the relevant perks for cqc affect both melee and unarmed but require you to train both up. Ninja takes 80 melee weapons and Slayer takes 90 unarmed but both have an effect on both forms of combat.
In my initial playthrough I found one minigun. I can't remember where. I also found plenty of rockets but I never found a rocket launcher. The weapons that used to comprise Big Guns seem extremely rare in New Vegas, so much so that I figure the devs thought they could either break up Big Guns and move the weapons into other skills, or have a weapon skill that nobody would ever put points into. Or have a lot more big guns in-game, I guess. Big guns and energy weapons definitely swapped place in terms of rarity in NV.

It reminded me of energy weapons in Fallout: Tactics, and how useless that skill was for half to 3/4ths of the game (and then how absolutely essential it becomes :v:)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

How the skills are subdivided has very little to do with realism and a lot to do with applicability/variety/availability of weapons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Next you'll tell me throwing a grenade and firing a Mk19 grenade launcher from the hip being governed by the same skill isn't due to them being similar.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Next you'll tell me throwing a grenade and firing a Mk19 grenade launcher from the hip being governed by the same skill isn't due to them being similar.

Traps was the most useless skill in Fallout 1 and 2. Not even gambling was as worthless.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

CommanderCoffee posted:

....we might as well just make a 'weapons' category and make having any specialization in any type of weapon useless.

Give it a couple more iterations of the series.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Doug Lombardi posted:

Traps was the most useless skill in Fallout 1 and 2. Not even gambling was as worthless.

Um grenades used the "throwing" skill in FO1/2, traps was for timed explosives!!!!! Try holding a grenade in your hand sometime as opposed to a block of C4. They're clearly quite different.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
That is because a lot of the "Big Guns" got rolled into other appropriate skills to help flesh them, like putting rocket/grenade launchers into explosives. What distinguishes them now is mostly the STR requirements.

There is a huge thematic difference between Energy Weapons and Guns, being that one is based on realistic conventional firearms and ammo associated with the mechanical Repair skill and the other based on Sci-Fi weaponry and ammo associated with the Science skill.

Drugs are the great equalizer in the game. With Alcohol and buffout, Psycho, Med-X, jet, etc you can ruin pretty anyone's day, regardless of your SPECIAL.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Um grenades used the "throwing" skill in FO1/2, traps was for timed explosives!!!!! Try holding a grenade in your hand sometime as opposed to a block of C4. They're clearly quite different.

You can shape C4 to be the same shape as grenade. What now?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think unarmed probably remained separate because it's the only thing besides Survival which uses the Endurance stat. And Endurance needs all the help it can get because it would be a total dump stat if not for implants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Doug Lombardi posted:

You can shape C4 to be the same shape as grenade. What now?

Obviously we require a separate skill, "improvised weapons".