Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Oxford Comma posted:

What's a good way to remove FoW American Armor Paint from a metal tank?

Soak it in Simple Green (or your localized alternative).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Colonial Air Force posted:

Soak it in Simple Green (or your localized alternative).

No sir. Simple Green doesn't take off this particular paint.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Oxford Comma posted:

No sir. Simple Green doesn't take off this particular paint.

Brake fluid should work, Pinsol can also strip paint. You'll need a coarse brush to help things along tho.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

EDIT: like my 15mm crusaders

These are excellent. I now really want to paint some Crusaders knights up myself. Can you advise any good makes or links to painting inspiration, I have found what seems like some good models from a company called Mirliton, have you ever had anything to do with them?

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

big_g posted:

These are excellent. I now really want to paint some Crusaders knights up myself. Can you advise any good makes or links to painting inspiration, I have found what seems like some good models from a company called Mirliton, have you ever had anything to do with them?

Lilljonas' models are Mirliton. I'm painting a bunch of them right now. They're one of the best manufacturers out there.

Other than that, the ones I've come across are Corvus Belli and Essex. The Corvus ones are really nice, and so are most of the Essex ones I have but they can be a bit dodgy at times.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

R.S. Gumby posted:

Lilljonas' models are Mirliton. I'm painting a bunch of them right now. They're one of the best manufacturers out there.

Other than that, the ones I've come across are Corvus Belli and Essex. The Corvus ones are really nice, and so are most of the Essex ones I have but they can be a bit dodgy at times.

Yup, they are Mirliton and I can't recommend them enough, some of the best 15mm miniatures I've worked with. Corvus Belli are nice and I used them for most of my FoG Carthaginian army, but are a bit annoying to work with as their metal is too hard. Essex is hit or miss, as the time I ended up with 8 identical generic spear throwing cavalry. In my Mongol Horde pack. Cheap as chips though, so something to consider if you want to make a big army and don't mind clone troopers. Now, for a small army like my DBA the difference in price is not so big, and seriously, their miniatures are like candy. Do it. For €25 it is a steal (though I got it for €20 which made me even more content).

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 2, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Psychic Fetus posted:

What are the options for 1/72 scale models? companies or sites/forums that display the options would be slick!
Plastic Soldier Review, as mentioned above, will show you pretty much all the plastics that are available.

For troops.

In terms of AFVs you're going to have to start trawling modeling sites, and if you want metals then hooooo boy, there are a LOT of manufacturers doing 20mil metals.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Are there any good rulesets for Cold War era battles with company- or battalion-sized units? Force on Force seems like it would be awkward at anything above platoon level. I'm also tempted to buy some counter-based games and use GHQ/CinC 6mm minis instead of the counters.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't think you understand just how simple Force on Force is in practice.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't think you understand just how simple Force on Force is in practice.

No, I understand. It just seems awkward if you have 100 infantry units on either side, plus AFVs, air units, etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You've.... never played a GW game have you?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

You've.... never played a GW game have you?

I have played WH40K a few times.

I guess my question can be phrased as "Is there a system better than Force on Force for large numbers of units?"

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

I have played WH40K a few times.

I guess my question can be phrased as "Is there a system better than Force on Force for large numbers of units?"

You can never go wrong with Cold War Commander. Army lists for the 1950s all the way up to the current day.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

Corvus Belli [...] are a bit annoying to work with as their metal is too hard.

Funny, I think of that as a plus.

lilljonas posted:

Essex is hit or miss, as the time I ended up with 8 identical generic spear throwing cavalry.

Yup, for sure, buying Essex without knowing exactly what you're getting is not a very good idea. They have a huge range of armies available, and while some are great, there's also a bunch of rather bad stuff. Their terrible website isn't always helping either.

They've got a rather big selection of medieval knights with various equipment though, but again, some are rather poor.

Here's a pic of some of my barded knights. The stand on the left is Mirliton; my only petty complaint would be that the lances are separate pieces, and they lack handguards (compared to the lances on the stand next to it).
The other three are from different Essex packs. Two are quite nice, the one on the right is just strange monopose shite.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

I am new to historical and I want to start some Flames of War Indians to have an army that I can use between Early, Mid war, and Late (in theory). I am having a hard time finding information both hobby and historical, excluding wikis, on them, specifically Indian 4th infantry division.

Questions
1) Do I field all Sikh troops or should I buy some British rifles to mix in? Can I mix them on the bases? The 4th seemed pretty cool with intermingling in the few pictures that I have seen.
2) Should I field Indian Pattern carriers? Maybe, 2 groups of 3?
3) What books are the Indians in? So, far I know that they are in Hellfire and Back (Early War) and the Cassino book.
4) Paint up some Australians as Ghurkas, good idea or bad idea?

So far, I bought the Indian HQ, Indian Rifle platoon, and a pack of Indian Pattern Carriers (2). What next?

Pretty sure Indians are in North Africa too for some sweet Mid-War action. If you want some references I would look for books on Amazon, maybe something by Osprey.

But yeah, what the other guy said, do what you want in terms of minis there are no FoW police, do some research if you're curious and go from there. Might want to plan out a 600 to 1000pt force to start with, check out easyarmy.com for a great army building page, well worth the $1 per books he charges.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

R.S. Gumby posted:

Funny, I think of that as a plus.

Yup, for sure, buying Essex without knowing exactly what you're getting is not a very good idea. They have a huge range of armies available, and while some are great, there's also a bunch of rather bad stuff. Their terrible website isn't always helping either.

They've got a rather big selection of medieval knights with various equipment though, but again, some are rather poor.

Here's a pic of some of my barded knights. The stand on the left is Mirliton; my only petty complaint would be that the lances are separate pieces, and they lack handguards (compared to the lances on the stand next to it).
The other three are from different Essex packs. Two are quite nice, the one on the right is just strange monopose shite.

I just find that sometimes Corvus Belli has lots of flash, and since the metal is so hard it takes a lot of time and effort to clean them up. I also always pin 15mm cav riders to their horses, which is a pain in the rear end with a pin vice on Corvus Belli miniatures because the metal is too hard. Once you start painting and using them it's a plus.

Cool looking knights, and I do agree that the loose equipment on Mirliton is not a plus. Prepare to get used to looking for broken off shields on your floor now and then. As for Essex, last year I bought three armies in their "three for two" sale. First one was a Scots Common army I bought for a friend, it looked great: good sculpts and plenty of variation even though it was just infantry. The second was a Sassanid Persian army, with good sculpts though most of it monopose. So a descent army overall. The third one was a Mongol Conquest full of monopose units and generic bullshit troops who didn't look even remotely connected to the Mongol Conquest.

The only one of these three that is painted now is the bullshit Mongol one. :smith:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Thanks for all the good advice guys.

What do you make of something like this as a good starting point?

Teutonic Order Army

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you want to do Teutonics that looks like the full army with all options. Alternatively look here at Corvus Belli's army boxes.

Bear in mind, nobody seems to do bases AND miniatures so you might have to source them elsewhere.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

big_g posted:

Teutonic Order Army

It depends on many things. Are you just going to paint, or do you want to play? Do you have any opponents stacked up already? Do you have a ruleset in mind yet? Do people in your area play with a certain rulest? Either way, that or the DBA set is a good way to get started and trying out to paint various kinds of miniatures with both cavalry and infantry without breaking your bank.

And as mentioned above, you won't get bases with them. You can make your own bases or pick some up at http://www.litko.net/categories/Miniature-Bases-%26-Bottoms/ , http://www.freewebs.com/pwsltd/steelbases.htm or some similar shop. Personally I buy most of my bases from Litko, 1.5mm plywood is usually thick enough, and I also buy their magnetic sheets of matching size. This means that it is super easy to stick the magnet sheet under the base and store the minis in old tin boxes.

Make sure to check what base sizes are used by the ruleset you want to try out. If you are unsure, ask here and you're likely to get some advice.

Another alternative for Teutonics is Oddzial Osmy, a Polish company that makes Late Polish and Teutonics, available for example here: http://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/teutonic-forces-1410-176-c.asp

I've heard some positive things about them but have no personal experience.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 3, 2011

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

big_g posted:

Teutonic Order Army

Friend of mine has that army. Great models. Not the most colorful though, being Teutonics. Well, I should say he has the DBA version of that army.

As a starting point it's no worse than any other, I'd say. A complete army in a box. That's how it usually starts. Fuckin DBA, man. That's how they get you. One army, just to paint. Maybe try a game or two. Then maybe an opposing army could be a good idea, it's not like they cost anything anyway. Just to have a pair if a friend wants to try. Let's just try an army based on some other troop type. Oh, must build camps for them. And it would be good to have terrain enough for all options. Build some. Might as well get a few more armies to reenact the Baltic crusades or something. Hmm, who are these Palmyrans? Sounds like an interesting era. Oooh, Phokians with double artillery sounds like fun. Get Osprey books for history and painting inspiration. Where's the rulebook? Left it in the bathroom again? Might as well get another one, just to be able to read armylists while sitting on the loo, thinking about what to buy next. Samurai and Chinese maybe. Need more Osprey. Hmm, a decorated custom gaming table would be really cool too, must do that. A turnable one with arable on one side and desert on the other. Hussites start sounding like a good idea. Maybe expand an army or two for BBDBA or FoG. Need more terrain. Lend an army to a friend who only plays 40k. Give him your WADBAG guide; you can always print out a new one. Cackle maniacally as he buys his tenth army a year later.

I have no regrets.

Now excuse me, I have to sand a table.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Oh God! Am I about to become "One of us, one of us...."

What would be my best bet if I wanted something more colourful then, like the army that lilljonas posted earlier, something I could represent more of the different orders in?

Just buy random packs of knights and things, or is there an army set that would be better?

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

And to add in here's a few pics of my latest finished FoW platoon:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gorgeous!

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

big_g posted:

What would be my best bet if I wanted something more colourful then, like the army that lilljonas posted earlier, something I could represent more of the different orders in?

Just buy random packs of knights and things, or is there an army set that would be better?

Oh god, tell me these aren't the first things you've painted, for they are quite splendid.

How did you get your wonderful muddy weathering on the tracks?

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

big_g posted:

Well, for more colour you might want to look a bit more towards western/southern Europe for a chance to go nuts with heraldry. Mirliton makes several army packs that fit the bill: Crusaders, Feudal French, Italian Commune or Condotta, Medieval German or even Burgundian Ordonnance.

Many Mirliton packs use the same figures, as they're pretty much generic western European types. Not the Teutonic knights though.

Lilljonas' army is the Later Crusaders. That's a pretty good starting point. It's a nice mix of Knights, spears and missiles, so it's fairly heavy. Later Crusaders have only one option in the army list, so it's one of the smallest armies, which might be good if you end up hating it.

edit: it also has 4 units of knights (and one cav), so you can easily opt to paint a couple of them as different orders if you don't want to go all heraldry.

This is for DBA though; the link you posted before was for an Impetus army pack. It's points based and use larger armies, but can use the same basing system I think, other than that I have no knowledge of it. Lilljonas, help?

I've got Mirliton's Communal Italian pack. Lovely models, but they won't end up as Italians. I'm painting them up to beef up my existing generic multi-purpose medieval Eurotrash army, so I can morph them into quite a few of the other Euro armies in the DBA book.

edit: Maybe I should add that DBA is up for revision in the near future. According to optimists all is well, while pessimists say it'll be the end of the Earth. I'm not too worried though. There'll be some changes to army lists though, but from what I can see, at least the Later Crusaders army box will still work for the next edition.

And that's some lovely tanks. I've got some Stugs a friend gave me to paint, as I kinda promised to get into FoW. I'm leaning towards russians though, and pics like that doesn't exactly help kill that desire.

R.S. Gumby fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 5, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

big_g posted:

Drill your barrels :argh:

I have mine drilled :smug:

Now if only I painted them... at all. gently caress.

Nicely done and then some dude.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

It is correct that my army is a Later Crusader one. I choose to represent the Knights Hospitaller during a period when their uniforms and heraldry was changing: they are most famous for their black robes with white crosses, but later on the ordained brothers would start to wear red with white crosses, while their sargeants etc. kept their black robes. All the while the nobility who joined sometimes kept their old heraldry. This meant two things:

1. I could have a pretty uniform army while still getting to paint some different kind of knights. This is fun since it was my first army.

2. Easy for gameplay. The Later Crusaders have three different mounted elements: the cavalry, representing the less heavily armoured followers, knights, representing the heavy armoured brothers, and the general. By having black cav, red knights and a multicoloured general it is very easy to see what is what.

In the end I'm happy with the results as it is a force that ties together thematically while being pretty historically correct, and not the plain old predictable choice for painting Crusaders.

If you want to paint basic basic knights, I think that Teutonics or maybe Knights Templars are good choices. If you want something that is still uniform, check out the other orders, such as Knights of Santiago, or knightly armies before 14th-15th century, such as Normans, Byzantines, Russians etc. If you want balls to the walls multicolour raincoat knights, my first thought was also Italian Communes. Check this dude out for inspiration:

http://gallery.vexillia.ltd.uk/2010/09/mirliton-15-mm-eddy-m.html

If for some reason Italy doesn't excite you, pretty much any later Medieval Western army will do. English, Spanish, French... Don't forget that a Saracen opposing army can be very colourful and fun to paint too! Really nice tanks there, it will be interesting to see what you can do with Medievals.

As for Impetus i don't know exact base sizes and such, only that Basic Impetus is quite similar to DBA when it comes to size of armies. But don't fear buying too many troops, you can always beef it up to serve as a FoG army too, moahaha.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 5, 2011

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

lilljonas posted:

Awesome Knights Hospitaller text.

Thanks for the guide that's a brilliant army you have there and even better with the background you have.

I'm just in it for the painting at the minute you just inspired me with that photo. I'm ordering some random late medieval bits and bobs today to see how I get on and to give it a go.

Arquinsiel posted:

Drill your barrels :argh:

I have mine drilled :smug:

Now if only I painted them... at all. gently caress.

Nicely done and then some dude.

You drill your FoW AFV barrels!? Just the end of the muzzle brake or all the way down?

R.S. Gumby posted:

And that's some lovely tanks. I've got some Stugs a friend gave me to paint, as I kinda promised to get into FoW. I'm leaning towards russians though, and pics like that doesn't exactly help kill that desire.

Get the paint on Comrade!

BeigeJacket posted:

Oh god, tell me these aren't the first things you've painted, for they are quite splendid.

How did you get your wonderful muddy weathering on the tracks?

No they are not the first thing I've painted. I've posted a few things in this thread actually, but maybe I fade into anonymity with the default avatar.

I think I actually have a German panzergren platoon a few pages back, and some 1/35 stuff even further back.

The tracks are various mig pigments applied both wet and dry.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
What's a good color for the backpacks and chest gear of Marines serving in the Middle East? Its a green color but I'm not sure what a good match is for it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Email Matt at Elheim miniatures and ask. He's a good painter/sculpter/researcher, and he's a nice guy too.

big_g posted:

You drill your FoW AFV barrels!? Just the end of the muzzle brake or all the way down?
I drill as much as is sensible, so as far down the barrel as the back of the brake, if any, and then through the brake. It doesn't make much difference to the strength of the mini, but looks awesome.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 5, 2011

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

big_g posted:

Thanks for the guide that's a brilliant army you have there and even better with the background you have.

A good thing with Medieval armies with many knights is that it is pretty easy to make a core of "generic" cavalry and infantry, and then add army specific elements such as a English king and his retinue to make it into an English army etc. In many rules systems you can also ally back and forth to combine several smaller armies into one big army. So painting up bits and bobs is quite likely to end up being something useful if you are doing Medievals.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Well I just ordered the Mirliton Later Crusaders 1128 - 1302 box am I'm pretty hyped about it coming.

Contents are:

General ( Kn ) x 3
Knights x 9
Heavy Infantry x 20
Crossbowmen x 8
Archers x 3
Cavalrymen x 3

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

big_g posted:

Well I just ordered the Mirliton Later Crusaders 1128 - 1302 box am I'm pretty hyped about it coming.

Contents are:

General ( Kn ) x 3
Knights x 9
Heavy Infantry x 20
Crossbowmen x 8
Archers x 3
Cavalrymen x 3

That's exactly the same one I got. You can see more detailed pictures of how I painted them in the lower third of this page: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165647&page=3

I know, warseer, but I blame it on youthful innocence. The knights are really nice to paint, especially if you take the coward's way and print your banners.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 6, 2011

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Super sexy models dude, super sexy.

Gonna pick up some Osprey reading this weekend perhaps for some inspiration but please don't be upset if I attempt to at least copy some of the schemes you have going on.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

big_g posted:

Super sexy models dude, super sexy.

Gonna pick up some Osprey reading this weekend perhaps for some inspiration but please don't be upset if I attempt to at least copy some of the schemes you have going on.

:ssh: I took the part I like the most, the barding, from a picture in a Field of Glory book.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

lilljonas posted:

:ssh: I took the part I like the most, the barding, from a picture in a Field of Glory book.

Are the designs on the shields in the above pic freehand?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

big_g posted:

Are the designs on the shields in the above pic freehand?

Yes, the only thing I didn't paint was the banners. If I remember correctly I did the crosses by starting at the edges and drawing the line to the center of the cross. Do a couple of trial crosses on a piece of paper first and you'll get the knack of it before you go on to the shields.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Just an update: Anyone looking to do desert MARPAT could do worse than using Vallejo's English Uniform. I put it on my Empress Marines and it looks pretty good. Its just ever so slightly more green than what real Coyote Tan looks like, but its pretty drat close.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Finished up some US 105s from my Kiwis in Italy. Need to get he rest of the army done in 3 weeks.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
All this DBA talk got me working on some more stuff. I might as well post a couple of pictures to show what an unchecked DBA addiction can lead to.

I finished my knights. There's six stands with individual heraldry, and four knightly orders. That should be enough for most European medieval armies.

Actually, they're not completely finished; Knights look so much better with flags and pennants (just look at Lilljonas cool army).

Then I finally finished my gameboard by sanding and painting it for a desert table. This is actually the underside (which is why the text on the edges are upside down), with the other side an all green field. Some of the left over grass mat from that side is the green fields on this side to break up the brown.

Also, to finish the desert table, I made some terrain for it: two sand dunes and an oasis. The oasis has two removable little palm bases, and looks rather unnaturally stylistic, but that's to match my equally unnaturally stylistic waterway. (There's also a small hill there because I thought I needed one more)

Here's the kicker: I don't even have a "dry" army painted (ie an army with desert as home terrain). I do have some unpainted Egyptians laying around somewhere though...

R.S. Gumby fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

R.S. Gumby posted:

Here's the kicker: I don't even have a "dry" army painted (ie an army with desert as home terrain). I do have some unpainted Egyptians laying around somewhere though...

The answer to this is always Early Libyans. 11 bases of psiloi and a light horse general. :)