Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but I thought you had until the end of the year to take advantage of the annual Premiere upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

change my name posted:

Almost every time I want to listen to music on my 3d, the voice dialer pops open and starts calling someone, no matter what the music player is :argh:
I'm not even using a headset! Someone help

Used to happen all the time with my Evo and now happens sometimes with my Evo 3D. Irritating as all poo poo, but I don't know how to stop it either.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but I thought you had until the end of the year to take advantage of the annual Premiere upgrade.

I think that's just for the people who were still eligible after the first time they changed premiere. Early last spring they changed the eligibility levels and I was dropped down from the level that allowed yearly upgrades.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Lunchboxx posted:

So are there any good roms for rooted EVO 3ds? For the first time in probably ten years of owning a cell phone I actually dropped mine and the screen cracked pretty crazy. I was looking for a way to just take an image of the broken one (which amazingly still works like theres no problem), and dump it onto the new one. Apparently the only way to do this is by rooting the phone.

Worth it to root the 3d? Or should I just manually re-set the whole thing up?

Definitely worth rooting if you don't mind the occasional hiccup.

In my experience, the following are the best roms currently available:
CleanROM - Sense based, little to no bugs
CM7 - the aftermarket rom used on many Android devices, currently in public alpha with some non-working features like 3D and 4G but still very usable
MIUI - see CM7, but with a nearly totally redone UI similar to iOS which most people think looks great

All of the above are available on the Evo3D Dev forum over at XDA.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
What are the odds that you'll be able to add iPhones as an extra line on the "Everything Data Family" plan for $20/month? Or is that hopefully what we're going to learn during the Spring thingy that's coming up.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Duckman2008 posted:

Pm me details on where you work.

Thanks for the support, man. Luckily I got a hold of a friend of mine who I forgot works at Sprint and they helped me out.

brc64 posted:

Okay, this has me scared. If Sprint kills our discount...

Potential good news to help ease your fears - Here's the message I got from my friend -

OK, so what had happend was they were doing account maintanence and the discount code you had on there was from our old billing system. So, they had to update it to the code for the new billing system thus causing the discount to not be given.

Your account still show it has the UPS discount it just for some reason didn't apply.

They had to submit an escalations form to correct the issue and said it should be resolved in 2 business days...so, your next bill should get the discount like normal and she said that more than likely they will put a credit on your next bill to make up for not recieving it this month...however the credit may come when they get through with the escalation.

The discount for <your current company> is 21%. Since we got the UPS thing situated I would just leave it at that. Let me know if you have any other questions.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I just noticed that Sprint changed their exchange policy to 14 days (which sucks rear end). My girlfriend is interested in exchanging her Nexus S for an iPhone 4, but we're just outside 14 days now. I wonder if retentions can make something happen if I threaten to cancel both of my lines unless we can get it exchanged.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So did Sprint just bet the farm on the iphone 4(2)? The few apple guys I know were pretty underwhelmed with the whole thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fknlo posted:

So did Sprint just bet the farm on the iphone 4(2)? The few apple guys I know were pretty underwhelmed with the whole thing.
They're betting the farm that their unlimited data plan will attract new and existing iPhone customers to their network. We'll see if it pays off for them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

fknlo posted:

Sprint committed to $20b of iPhone purchases over the next 4 years. Even sprint doesn't know what they bought in years 2,3, and 4. They only know that they bought iPhones.

So, no, they really didn't bet the farm on the iPhone4s. They did spend about $5bil on it though.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am so on the fence but after next week's Samsung/Google thing where the rumor is we will get information on the Nexus I hope to know more. I hope they announce a new Nexus for Sprint this year, and if the leaked specs are correct I will go Nexus. If no Sprint Nexus this year I guess iPhone 4S it is. Like I said in the other thread I have couple of upgrades due me next year too out of my 5 lines. So I could get iPhone 5 or whatever at that time. Just release the Nexus ICS for Sprint this year and my decision will be easy.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

bull3964 posted:

Sprint committed to $20b of iPhone purchases over the next 4 years. Even sprint doesn't know what they bought in years 2,3, and 4. They only know that they bought iPhones.

So, no, they really didn't bet the farm on the iPhone4s. They did spend about $5bil on it though.

Thats a hard bargain considering that Sprint's coverage can make AT&Ts look amazing. I hope Sprint succeeds though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TLG James posted:

Thats a hard bargain considering that Sprint's coverage can make AT&Ts look amazing. I hope Sprint succeeds though.

Sprint: unlimited data on verizon, just don't tell them

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

change my name posted:

No, not really.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

I upgraded my phone a year ago when Sprint still had yearly upgrades with Premiere and I needed something to get me by after my Pre broke. Since they've cancelled the Premiere one year upgrades, what's the best way for me to get a subsidized price on the new iPhone? My current ETF is pro-rated down to $120 or so, so it's make more sense for me to switch carriers and pay the fee than it would to pay full price (if they even let me.)

Is there some way to pay the ETF dollars to get out of my current contract and then re-contract with Sprint again? I'd really rather stick with Sprint but I assume that there's just no way to do so and get a new phone, and I really despise the phone I'm on now.

Always call retentions and ask what they can do.

I had a big sigh of relief today. Looks like it won't be that hard to sell android o etc iPhone.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

change my name posted:

Sprint monitors this now, I actually got a call about it. Still, 300mb isn't too bad.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I am so on the fence but after next week's Samsung/Google thing where the rumor is we will get information on the Nexus I hope to know more. I hope they announce a new Nexus for Sprint this year, and if the leaked specs are correct I will go Nexus. If no Sprint Nexus this year I guess iPhone 4S it is. Like I said in the other thread I have couple of upgrades due me next year too out of my 5 lines. So I could get iPhone 5 or whatever at that time. Just release the Nexus ICS for Sprint this year and my decision will be easy.

I'm kind of in this boat too. I love my Android phone, but I don't really want the E3D, the Photon has a locked bootloader, and I just plain don't trust Samsung enough to get the SGS2.

iOS 5 fixes most of the "problems" I've always had with iOS (mostly, notifications irritated the gently caress out of me...and I'd get the added bonus of push-notifications that actually work), and it's the only major phone OS I've never used as my daily driver...and I kind of feel like maybe I should. (Ok...I haven't used WP7 either...but I couldn't care less right now)

If the release the Nexus on Sprint right away, I'm 100% sure I know what I'm doing. If they don't...well...

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ozmodiar posted:

but I don't really want the E3D

Why? It doesn't have any fatal flaws that have surfaced, it's fantastic hardware, tons of community support, a gorgeous screen, etc etc.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

big mean giraffe posted:

Why? It doesn't have any fatal flaws that have surfaced, it's fantastic hardware, tons of community support, a gorgeous screen, etc etc.
"But it has 3D, and I don't need 3D." :v:

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Honestly? I'm not really sure. I just kinda...don't.

A friend of mine has it (I actually helped him pick it out and he's on my account) and I was fairly underwhelmed. It just doesn't SEEM like that much of an upgrade over my E4G. *shrug* I dunno.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What is it you're looking for that your Evo doesn't already offer?

If I were you, I'd just wait for the new Nexus. It's kind of lame if it doesn't happen until the Spring, but you have a reasonable and working phone at the moment.

Also, if ICS comes out tomorrow and ships, say, on a GSM/UMTS Nexus Prime, I wouldn't expect an official update for the Evo 3D, Photon, or E4GT until 2012 anyways. If anything, I'd expect CM9 nightlies for the Evo to hit first. So really, there's no loss waiting for a new Nexus.

Or go iPhone.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What is it you're looking for that your Evo doesn't already offer?

If I were you, I'd just wait for the new Nexus. It's kind of lame if it doesn't happen until the Spring, but you have a reasonable and working phone at the moment.

Also, if ICS comes out tomorrow and ships, say, on a GSM/UMTS Nexus Prime, I wouldn't expect an official update for the Evo 3D, Photon, or E4GT until 2012 anyways. If anything, I'd expect CM9 nightlies for the Evo to hit first. So really, there's no loss waiting for a new Nexus.

Or go iPhone.

I can't really answer that question either. I'm just a gadget whore, and I like playing with new stuff. My EVO works just fine, and I love CM7...but I think I'm just getting antsy for a new toy...

I'm going to sell my EVO when I upgrade, so I'll pocket some cash there...and I could probably sell the iPhone 4S if/when the Nexus comes out and not be out TOO much money to buy it as well.

Like I said...I dunno. I think it boils down to being a gadget whore and wanting a new toy.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm kind of in this boat too. I love my Android phone, but I don't really want the E3D, the Photon has a locked bootloader, and I just plain don't trust Samsung enough to get the SGS2.

iOS 5 fixes most of the "problems" I've always had with iOS (mostly, notifications irritated the gently caress out of me...and I'd get the added bonus of push-notifications that actually work), and it's the only major phone OS I've never used as my daily driver...and I kind of feel like maybe I should. (Ok...I haven't used WP7 either...but I couldn't care less right now)

If the release the Nexus on Sprint right away, I'm 100% sure I know what I'm doing. If they don't...well...

My wife has the EVO 3D (I have a EVO 4G running MIUI) while it is a great phone it just doesn't move me to jump. Hard to explain but it is just not for me. Maybe I am brunt out on HTC phones. I really like he physical look and the weight of the Epic Touch (wow what a light phone), but I don't trust it.

Thinking about it I think I am bored and want something completely different. That why the iPhone appeals to me. I want to learn something completely new.

Only thing that trumps that is a top of the line new Nexus.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

powderific posted:

I upgraded my phone a year ago when Sprint still had yearly upgrades with Premiere and I needed something to get me by after my Pre broke. Since they've cancelled the Premiere one year upgrades, what's the best way for me to get a subsidized price on the new iPhone? My current ETF is pro-rated down to $120 or so, so it's make more sense for me to switch carriers and pay the fee than it would to pay full price (if they even let me.)

Is there some way to pay the ETF dollars to get out of my current contract and then re-contract with Sprint again? I'd really rather stick with Sprint but I assume that there's just no way to do so and get a new phone, and I really despise the phone I'm on now.

You should still qualify for your one-year upgrade until 12/31/12 if I'm reading this correctly:
http://premier.sprint.com/premierupdate/?id12=vanity:premier

Assuming you were still in the Gold program after the first change to the program, that is.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I just noticed that Sprint changed their exchange policy to 14 days (which sucks rear end). My girlfriend is interested in exchanging her Nexus S for an iPhone 4, but we're just outside 14 days now. I wonder if retentions can make something happen if I threaten to cancel both of my lines unless we can get it exchanged.

I could be wrong, but I think someone tried this a few pages back and they wouldn't budge. Don't forget Sprint's ETF is $350 now.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

Honestly? I'm not really sure. I just kinda...don't.

A friend of mine has it (I actually helped him pick it out and he's on my account) and I was fairly underwhelmed. It just doesn't SEEM like that much of an upgrade over my E4G. *shrug* I dunno.
The hardware screams in general, and Sense 3.0 is really nice to use. It didn't take me long to really love taking 3D pictures. Looking at 3D pictures, not so much. On a 3D TV, the pictures look really amazing - the depth really ups the "I was there" feeling.

I recently installed MIUI on it. It's technically possible to take 3D pictures, but not to view them. WiMax doesn't work either. I can handle that just fine, and the UI is incredibly smooth and clean. Overclocking isn't necessary, but is possible, however the stock config absolutely burns rear end on the hardware.

If you're looking for a high-powered phone with all kinds of options for modding and tons of hardware potential, the 3D is easily the best option.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 5, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SLOSifl posted:

If you're looking for a high-powered phone with all kinds of options for modding and tons of hardware potential, the 3D is easily the best option.

I just love how this is the absolute truth and the 3d aspects are totally invisible to the user by default (as in you have to go looking for 3D content and flip the switch to take 3D pictures) but everyone's hemming and hawing about the 3d features like it literally crawls out of the phone, The Ring-style and claws at your eyes.

Put bluntly, people are writing off the hands-down best phone on Sprint (yes, even the SGSIIE4GT - how's your GPS and signal strength by the way) because of a feature they would have to make an effort to make use of and without making that effort would never run across a single 3D thing ever. The god damned user interface is not in 3D. You have to flip a loving switch on the side of the phone to make it take 3d photos. You have to specifically search for 3D content on youtube. You have to deal with DRM to watch the Green loving Hornet in 3D.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Entire Universe posted:

Put bluntly, people are writing off the hands-down best phone on Sprint (yes, even the SGSIIE4GT - how's your GPS and signal strength by the way) because of a feature they would have to make an effort to make use of and without making that effort would never run across a single 3D thing ever. The god damned user interface is not in 3D. You have to flip a loving switch on the side of the phone to make it take 3d photos. You have to specifically search for 3D content on youtube. You have to deal with DRM to watch the Green loving Hornet in 3D.

Who wrote it off because it is a 3D phone? Maybe some of the reviewers did but I don't think the average consumer did or people on here. One of the main problems (as discussed before) is the awful naming of the phone (should of been the EVO2) because most average consumers think it is just the EVO with 3D. It is the same reason if Apple would of called the iPhone 4S yesterday iPhone 5 there would be a bigger buzz about it right now.

Secondly while it might be the best phone Sprint has it is not the best on the form factor. I think the EVO 3D is a very blah blah looking phone and I hate the camera/3D buttons. I find the weight and even the narrowness of the screen off putting. I even prefer the form factor of the EVO 4G over it and I am not going to tell what my wife said (who is a EVO 3D owner) when she saw the SGSII for the first time in person.

Plus this is not 2010 where the EVO 4G was such a big jump for Sprint and was King for a year. So it is a little bit easier to hold off on the 3D for awhile because of that.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 5, 2011

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

OldPueblo posted:

I now have an airave, if only I were smart enough to use it. I was hoping I could just plug it in wherever on my network, but if I read this correctly it needs to go between my cable modem and router? Do these things mess with NAT routing at all for games, mumble, jabber, etc?

I have Fios, which requires (unless you do a lot of begging) their own router as the first Cat-5 network appearance. I've had my Airvana plugged in at the router and exposed via DMZ and just plugged in and firewalled as per normal.

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

I had a 3D and now have the Galaxy S2 and love it so much more. It is just slightly faster and for me personally the battery is better.

In regards to software I liked the contact integration of sense, which is just as good in touchwiz. In terms of the launcher/widgets, sense is lightyears ahead of touchwiz, but I think 3rd party launchers are better than both so I don't care.

Then again I think I was the only person who had an Evo Shift and loved it so maybe I'm just crazy. I just feel like there are a ton of people who haven't used the Galaxy S2 as their personal phone, saying the 3D is better.

Also this:

Nexus Prime teased in new Samsung video?
http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/05/nexus-prime-teased-samsung-video/

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They're betting the farm that their unlimited data plan will attract new and existing iPhone customers to their network. We'll see if it pays off for them.

It's attracted me, and a few other people in the office. I think they did good.

mastershakeman posted:

Sprint monitors this now, I actually got a call about it. Still, 300mb isn't too bad.

Wait, is it really 300mb/month if you're roaming on Verizon? That's kind of ridiculous, maybe I will go Verizon...

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bicarbon posted:

Nexus Prime teased in new Samsung video?
http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/05/nexus-prime-teased-samsung-video/

Just curious since they are announcing the new Nexus next week will they also announce the carrier(s) next week?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Casao posted:

Wait, is it really 300mb/month if you're roaming on Verizon?
Yes. It's also limited to painfully slow 1x data service.

Casao posted:

That's kind of ridiculous, maybe I will go Verizon...
You're not going to be doing streaming anything on 1x, so 300 MB is actually a good bit. It's enough such that you can still do Maps/Navigation, email, and light web browsing while you happen to be on the road in a Sprint dead spot. But if you're regularly in areas where Sprint doesn't have native coverage it's not going to pan out.

On the other hand, I believe folks who are being terminated for excessive roaming don't have an ETF to deal with, and it might be the case that the iPhone 4S is the first genuinely transferable phone from Sprint to Verizon. It would imagine that with Apple's promotion of a unified CDMA/GSM/UMTS device they would push to abandon artificial barriers to carrier migration, and they have enough clout to actually pull that off.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

Casao posted:

Wait, is it really 300mb/month if you're roaming on Verizon? That's kind of ridiculous, maybe I will go Verizon...

If you are in a top 50 market or above roaming should't be an issue at all.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes. It's also limited to painfully slow 1x data service.

You're not going to be doing streaming anything on 1x, so 300 MB is actually a good bit. It's enough such that you can still do Maps/Navigation, email, and light web browsing while you happen to be on the road in a Sprint dead spot. But if you're regularly in areas where Sprint doesn't have native coverage it's not going to pan out.

On the other hand, I believe folks who are being terminated for excessive roaming don't have an ETF to deal with, and it might be the case that the iPhone 4S is the first genuinely transferable phone from Sprint to Verizon. It would imagine that with Apple's promotion of a unified CDMA/GSM/UMTS device they would push to abandon artificial barriers to carrier migration, and they have enough clout to actually pull that off.

Honestly I get better data speeds when roaming on Verizon than I often do on Sprint, and that's in Chicago. I don't know why that is, I assume it's just tower congestion on Sprint and the lack of it on Verizon. I can pull 1 MB/s down on a Verizon tower in the middle of the Upper Peninsula because no one else in the area is using it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Honestly I get better data speeds when roaming on Verizon than I often do on Sprint, and that's in Chicago.
Wait, are you sure you're roaming on Verizon?

1xRTT is limited to 153 kb/s by spec, real world data speeds are lower. Sprint's roaming agreement with Verizon is limited to 1x service only, except for some business customers. Unless you've PRL hacked. Not that Sprint's EV-DO service isn't so bad right now in major markets that sub-150 kb/s isn't unheard of, if not frequent.

You could be roaming on US Cellular or some other Chicago provider that Sprint has a (more favorible) EV-DO roaming agreement with. Don't know if that counts against the 300 MB or not.

mastershakeman posted:

I can pull 1 MB/s down on a Verizon tower in the middle of the Upper Peninsula because no one else in the area is using it.
Alltel divested market? I've seen that in western Ohio too. Problem is that AT&T bought them up and those markets are being transitioned to GSM/UMTS sooner or later.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Who wrote it off because it is a 3D phone? Maybe some of the reviewers did but I don't think the average consumer did or people on here. One of the main problems (as discussed before) is the awful naming of the phone (should of been the EVO2) because most average consumers think it is just the EVO with 3D. It is the same reason if Apple would of called the iPhone 4S yesterday iPhone 5 there would be a bigger buzz about it right now.

Secondly while it might be the best phone Sprint has it is not the best on the form factor. I think the EVO 3D is a very blah blah looking phone and I hate the camera/3D buttons. I find the weight and even the narrowness of the screen off putting. I even prefer the form factor of the EVO 4G over it and I am not going to tell what my wife said (who is a EVO 3D owner) when she saw the SGSII for the first time in person.

Plus this is not 2010 where the EVO 4G was such a big jump for Sprint and was King for a year. So it is a little bit easier to hold off on the 3D for awhile because of that.

A lot of people write off the 3D because it is a 3D phone. A lot of people.

And all roaming counts against the 300mb, not just Verizon.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Wait, are you sure you're roaming on Verizon?

1xRTT is limited to 153 kb/s by spec, real world data speeds are lower. Sprint's roaming agreement with Verizon is limited to 1x service only, except for some business customers. Unless you've PRL hacked. Not that Sprint's EV-DO service isn't so bad right now in major markets that sub-150 kb/s isn't unheard of, if not frequent.

You could be roaming on US Cellular or some other Chicago provider that Sprint has a (more favorible) EV-DO roaming agreement with. Don't know if that counts against the 300 MB or not.

Alltel divested market? I've seen that in western Ohio too. Problem is that AT&T bought them up and those markets are being transitioned to GSM/UMTS sooner or later.

For the Chicago roaming, it's probably Verizon. It isn't very fast, but 10 kB down easily beats the terrible Sprint coverage I tend to get in office buildings. For the UP, no idea if it's Alltel or Verizon or what-I know my family with Verizon can use the tower too with no roaming signal, so I figure it's a Verizon tower (as it shows roaming for me). I've tethered to my laptop there and torrented over 1 MB/s down, so I have no idea what's going on if it's actually limited.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

And all roaming counts against the 300mb, not just Verizon.

Has the 3D sales really been that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Duckman2008 posted:

I was sold on the SGS2E4GT from the start, but the impression I got was, "HTC Evo costs $100, HTC Evo 3D costs $200, based on the names alone it sounds like the only difference is the 3D and that's mostly useless to me".