Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Just got back into lego with my girlfriend and its been a blast.

We were going through kijiji and we found a giant bag of lego a guy was selling for $60, not sure how many pounds but it was a lot. He claimed it was mostly star wars lego. We bought this lot with the intention of sorting it and reselling any sets we find.

We've begun the sorting process and we have roughly 100 minifigures, about 60 of those being star wars and 27 being just droids.

We've found about a third of the pieces for this:
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4498774-Trade-Federation-MTT/dp/B000NOBA02

We're missing a few pieces but we have all the weird important pieces that would be hard to find, the ones we're missing so far are easily replaceable.

We know for sure theres a Y wing in there, two different indiana jones sets, I think two harry potter sets, and some other star wars stuff I can't recall right now.

Not bad for $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Skulduggery posted:

$60,

roughly 100 minifigures, about 60 of those being star wars

Congrats on buying a figurative goldmine.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Faerunner posted:

Congrats on buying a figurative goldmine.
It doesn't stop there, we met another guy yesterday and he sold us 4 unopened star wars lego sets for $30

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/7131-1.jpg
http://www.galaxybricks.com/episode1/images/bg-sithinfiltrator7151.jpg
http://www.brickwars-sets.com/brickwars-sets_pictures/7103_box.jpg
http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/7128-1.jpg

We're also meeting another guy next week, has this star destroyer used with all the pieces plus EXTRA minifigures, selling it to us for $100

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/albums/Lego/StarWars/20060106_4_bg.jpg

Kijiji is awesome.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

You are a horrible, horrible person. :colbert:

(we're all jealous)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Because it's made of Legos. :ssh:

Hey man, listen, if you're going to lie to me, at least make it believable.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Ft Wayne was great, I'll post photos after I finish writing an article about it. I spent a couple hours ogling everything (and some of the moms, to be honest) before hitting up the vendors, but the real prize was this, on clearance for $50 at a Walmart on the way home:
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5974-1

Also got a little violin to go with a scene of Sherlock Holmes in his study I'm working on.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ft Wayne was great, I'll post photos after I finish writing an article about it. I spent a couple hours ogling everything (and some of the moms, to be honest) before hitting up the vendors, but the real prize was this, on clearance for $50 at a Walmart on the way home:
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5974-1

Also got a little violin to go with a scene of Sherlock Holmes in his study I'm working on.

Which Walmart was that at?! (Also I got some pictures yesterday. Several of the really cool things have already been posted in this thread since they were in Chicago et al, but I got some fun details. I'll try getting them up tomorrow.)

I did some sifting through vendor bins but only ended up with about $8 in parts. Some of the bulk bags were silly: bags full of round curves missing their opposite sides and ball-and-socket joints without the sockets, and so on. Regardless, I had fun, my daughter had fun, I thought my wife had fun. Hopefully we get another Brickworld next year.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Seen at Brickworld 2011:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

Which Walmart was that at?! (Also I got some pictures yesterday. Several of the really cool things have already been posted in this thread since they were in Chicago et al, but I got some fun details. I'll try getting them up tomorrow.)

I did some sifting through vendor bins but only ended up with about $8 in parts. Some of the bulk bags were silly: bags full of round curves missing their opposite sides and ball-and-socket joints without the sockets, and so on. Regardless, I had fun, my daughter had fun, I thought my wife had fun. Hopefully we get another Brickworld next year.

It was either the Walmart on Coldwater or at Apple Glen; I stopped at a lot of stores today.

I got one of those bulk bags for $15 since it seemed like a decent deal and was disappointed to find so many pieces without a match. Probably should have just gotten $15 worth of smaller bags. I got a few -- I'm all set for clock faces.

I browsed the build-a-fig setps and premade figs but didn't find what I was looking for, cowboy hats and torsos.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Saint Sputnik posted:

It was either the Walmart on Coldwater or at Apple Glen; I stopped at a lot of stores today.

I got one of those bulk bags for $15 since it seemed like a decent deal and was disappointed to find so many pieces without a match. Probably should have just gotten $15 worth of smaller bags. I got a few -- I'm all set for clock faces.

I browsed the build-a-fig setps and premade figs but didn't find what I was looking for, cowboy hats and torsos.

gently caress, how many were left? I might have to check between classes tomorrow.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

gently caress, how many were left? I might have to check between classes tomorrow.

Only one. It's a pretty bunged-up box which makes me think they lost it in storage for a while.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
There is one of those galactic enforcers on my local kijiji for 50$ sealed in box. Its an hour away though.

I did venture to the lego store today. I picked up 2 10197 Fire Brigade's, 2 series 5 figs and got 2 of the free if you spend $75 apple poly bag sets.

I need to go back and pick up another emerald night when the budget allows.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 3, 2011

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
With a little one on the way, I've been hunting around for bargain Lego/Duplo. Found a couple of decent lots on Gumtree, just need to see if they're still available.

Also, planning on putting together one of these after we've moved house next month:
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2008/06/weekend-project-1-hack-lego-table.html
And one of these for the grown-ups (with a different graphic, not sure what though):
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/01/ikea-lego-table.html

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Saint Sputnik posted:

Only one. It's a pretty bunged-up box which makes me think they lost it in storage for a while.

I ended up finding a World Racers set (this one) that was marked down to $31, so it wasn't a total waste in going. I also noticed the big clearance is starting for holiday stock. While I didn't find a whole lot of LEGO in it (mostly just that one set), every store is going to be different. I figure something like 50% off normal retail is enough to wander back there on most trips to the store.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 3, 2011

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

e: /\/\/\ Nice selection of helmets. And yeah every single Walmart is different on its sales. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a bunch of the Monster-4 game when it was on sale for $5 at one place and getting rich reselling heads.

Brickworld Ft Wayne:

M-M-MONSTER CHESS

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 3, 2011

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Saint Sputnik posted:

Those are all awesome but this one is easily my favorite. Look at Jayne's hat. Look at it. :allears:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Someday I'll go to a Lego show/con :arghfist::( Those mini Firefly characters are adorable.

Anyway, I splurged a little and bought all this from one guy on Ebay:

2x Battle of Naboo
2x T-6 Jedi Shuttle
2x Geonosian Fighter
4x Battle for Geonosis

Luke's Landspeeder and the extra BARC speeder were thrown in for free since the seller had some trouble shipping it out, and considering the speeder alone is $25 that's pretty generous. MSRP for all this is $420+, but since it was all bought without figs I only paid about $140 (shipping included).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Catsworth posted:

Those are all awesome but this one is easily my favorite. Look at Jayne's hat. Look at it. :allears:
It's also an incredibly clever way to make faces, I've never seen it done that way before.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Captain Invictus posted:

It's also an incredibly clever way to make faces, I've never seen it done that way before.

I liked that whole display. But then, a few feet off to the left, was this guy:

Pretty much made my day.

edit: Here's the non-redundant pics I took in Fort Wayne (some of these may be earlier in the thread, but I don't think they are; if so, I apologize):

Apologies on the lovely focus/exposure on some of them. The lens on my Nikon is kinda balls, and the lighting wasn't the best.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 3, 2011

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Saint Sputnik posted:

I must make this and play it immediately.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

rickiep00h posted:

I liked that whole display. But then, a few feet off to the left, was this guy:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I'm ripping this off and building it myself.

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
How common is it for a set to be missing a brick? I'm building the Millennium Falcon new from box and just finished the set of bags numbered 4 and on the last step I realized I'm left with a dark grey 2x3 brick instead of the 2x4 brick needed for the last leg of landing gear. I retraced all my steps to do with the set of '4' bags and do not see that I used a 2x4 where a 2x4 was called for or anything similar.

I already found the LEGO customer service form for missing bricks, just curious if this is a common occurrence or not.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont think I've ever had a missing brick. There's lots of times I thought I was missing a brick, but they were cunningly hidden in front of my face.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Not that often but with larger sets obviously it is easier for there something to be missing.

Lego customer service is pretty good though and usually at most ask for a number off of the back of the instruction manual, and in rare cases ask for a recipt.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Kabong posted:

How common is it for a set to be missing a brick?

The other day I was putting together the Medieval Market Village set and one of the peasants was missing a hand. I was going to call Lego customer service, but seeing as how was in a beggar costume, I just called him a leper and was done with it. I like my little leper. :)

I have heard that Lego customer service is wonderful and speedy when sending out the missing parts.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Kabong posted:

How common is it for a set to be missing a brick? I'm building the Millennium Falcon new from box and just finished the set of bags numbered 4 and on the last step I realized I'm left with a dark grey 2x3 brick instead of the 2x4 brick needed for the last leg of landing gear. I retraced all my steps to do with the set of '4' bags and do not see that I used a 2x4 where a 2x4 was called for or anything similar.

I already found the LEGO customer service form for missing bricks, just curious if this is a common occurrence or not.

I've never encountered a missing piece, myself. I've had one deformed piece, and that got replaced quickly.
Every single time I've ever thought I'd have to fill out that form, I've either put the piece in the wrong area (say, using a 2x3 instead of a pair of 1x3s), it's hiding behind something else, fell, or it got caught up in the bag and I missed seeing it.

Although, these days, a lot of my purchases don't get built and I just dump 'em into my sorting bin, so I could be missing all sorts of pieces.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Getting stuck in the bottom of the bag is the usually the way my pieces hide from me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You buy sets and dont build them? You monster!

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Kabong posted:

As a kid, I never had this happen. IMO, QC isn't quite as good as it once was. I've had a couple missing pieces in the last couple years. I've also had whole missing bags and/or duplicates of other bags, which seems to happen more often now as well.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

SynthOrange posted:

Not as horrible as people who sperg about minifigs and drive the prices stupidly high for the rest of us who actually like building things.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shuppiluliumas posted:

As a kid, I never had this happen. IMO, QC isn't quite as good as it once was. I've had a couple missing pieces in the last couple years. I've also had whole missing bags and/or duplicates of other bags, which seems to happen more often now as well.

I actually had an entire parts bag missing from the Emerald Night set, which I didn't notice until I had everything torn open and mixed up. Had to call their customer service, since the form wasn't big enough, and once we figured out it was missing a bag and not just random parts, they fixed me right up.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I'd love to build them all, but I don't have enough space!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Has anyone heard about this place? LEGO's setting up a thing where people vote for MOCs to become sets. It's in Beta right now. I sort of like the idea, and am sort of worried that people are going to choose stupid crap.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
That's pretty cool. They've done the same thing in the past with the Factory sets which can turn out pretty awesome.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

I'd love to build them all, but I don't have enough space!

Build them, then dismantle them. Duh. :colbert:

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Dr. Benway posted:

That's pretty cool. They've done the same thing in the past with the Factory sets which can turn out pretty awesome.

Or they can turn out pretty lovely.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Pirate Ken posted:

That set, to be honest, was fun to build and once the novelty of flying skulls (quicky) wore out it made for a good source of parts.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Pirate Ken posted:

Whaaaat? I love that set. :( I regret not buying more than one when it went on sale. Or at least also getting the good guy companion set.

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 4, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Whaaaat? I love that set. :( I regret not buying more than one when it went on sale. Or at least also getting the good guy companion set.

Likewise... it was something ridiculously cheap if I remember, too. And I kept putting it off. :saddowns:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The Fire Brigade has disappeared from LEGO Shop@Home :ohdear: Looks like it's the next set to be discontinued, so if any of you have an unopened one, lock it away and let the value grow.