Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
It's funny he killed off Kevan but didn't take a real risk. It really would have taught Dany a lesson if the dragons had burned the city to the ground, decimated her armies and, oh, let's say eaten Daario. Instead they just sort of leave and Drogon dumps a free army on her, apparently.

Old, decisive GRRM would have done that. Red Wedding GRRM would have done that. New GRRM shat out a meandering pile of crap to get his editor off his back so he could go back to watching football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ambiguatron posted:

Old, decisive GRRM would have done that. Red Wedding GRRM would have done that. New GRRM shat out a meandering pile of crap to get his editor off his back so he could go back to watching football.

On the other hand, in Clash of Kings he resolved the two major sieges pretty much exactly the same (lazy) way (suddenly, a surprise army from behind!).

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Yes, but those armies were :black101: and these armies sit around and don't anything and there are guys who fight on stilts and the third grossly fat character to appear in the same book.

Part of the letdown, I think, is that everything that isn't knights and horsies sucks. He does psuedomedieval and psuedomongol very well, everything else is really boring and uninteresting despite his attempts to make it exotic and weird.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Ambiguatron posted:

Yes, but those armies were :black101: and these armies sit around and don't anything and there are guys who fight on stilts and the third grossly fat character to appear in the same book.

Part of the letdown, I think, is that everything that isn't knights and horsies sucks. He does psuedomedieval and psuedomongol very well, everything else is really boring and uninteresting despite his attempts to make it exotic and weird.

I really enjoy the setting of Dany's (mis)adventures despite the recently bland storytelling.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ross posted:

I really enjoy the setting of Dany's (mis)adventures despite the recently bland storytelling.

For an entire book though?

Update:
Dany takes her bunny ears off in a huff, stamps her feet because she doesn't want dwarves eaten by lions (ENOUGH OF THE loving COCK TEASES ALREADY), and her loose adolescent dragon gets all pissy. She's carried up in the air on his back, looking forward to a good shat I imagine.

Mood: optimistic.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

My problem with the setting of Dany's adventures once she stops conquering poo poo is played straight. With Westeros, all of the aspects of society are thoroughly examined. Knighthood, religion, the political structure, all of it had been pulled apart and there are shades of gray. The slaver aristocracy are just a bunch of cartoonishly evil stereotypical oriental despots and it grates on my nerves.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ambiguatron posted:

His mongols aren't that great to be honest. It's just that back when Gurm was actually trying or had some idea what he was doing with this series they saw enough fighting, raping, and plot movement to be entertaining. If you drill down past that at all they're just a 2 dimensional racist caricature. Which isn't unexpected considering this is a fantasy series (there's a reason the tviv people latched onto that more than us fantasy book nerds; we're used to it), but to say he does them well isn't really very accurate literally or figuratively.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

ohhhh goood i just want to freeze my self until season 2 comes out on hbo whos with me!?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I don't know why Dany wandered off to eat Crapberries in the first place. She has a freaking Dragon she can ride, she could of gone and burnt some sheap then flew to the nearest river for water. We know it doesn't want to eat her and she has some control over it, so there's no reason why she shouldn't be training it and preparing to burn down her enemies.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What was with her bleeding at the end? Was that really just her "moon blood"? It made it seem like there was too much blood for that to be the case.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Drunkboxer posted:

What was with her bleeding at the end? Was that really just her "moon blood"? It made it seem like there was too much blood for that to be the case.

I thought it was implied that the berries she ate were abortifacients and that Daario knocked her up.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

IRQ posted:

His mongols aren't that great to be honest. It's just that back when Gurm was actually trying or had some idea what he was doing with this series they saw enough fighting, raping, and plot movement to be entertaining. If you drill down past that at all they're just a 2 dimensional racist caricature. Which isn't unexpected considering this is a fantasy series (there's a reason the tviv people latched onto that more than us fantasy book nerds; we're used to it), but to say he does them well isn't really very accurate literally or figuratively.

I thought Khal Drogo was an interesting character. His morals may not align with ours, but he's the only character in the books who is completely at ease with his identity and the society in which he lives. Everyone else has some whine on about "oh, I'm a bastard/midget/woman, I can't inherit/be respected/be a lord" or "Oh, I'm a princess! I'm not treated like a living goddess due entirely to my ancestry! Oh no!" or "I have duties I must perform, no matter how painful or hilariously illogical they are" or "Everyone treats me like a monster because I killed a homicidal lunatic rapist that was about to be murdered anyway".

Not Drogo. He's in it for the bitches, and he'll tell you: he is in it for the bitches.

It is known.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ambiguatron posted:

I thought Khal Drogo was an interesting character. His morals may not align with ours, but he's the only character in the books who is completely at ease with his identity and the society in which he lives. Everyone else has some whine on about "oh, I'm a bastard/midget/woman, I can't inherit/be respected/be a lord" or "Oh, I'm a princess! I'm not treated like a living goddess due entirely to my ancestry! Oh no!" or "I have duties I must perform, no matter how painful or hilariously illogical they are" or "Everyone treats me like a monster because I killed a homicidal lunatic rapist that was about to be murdered anyway".

Not Drogo. He's in it for the bitches, and he'll tell you: he is in it for the bitches.

It is known.

I dunno. Patchface seems rather content.

edit: and Hodor :colbert:

Speaking of Patchface, is his whole schtick a red herring? I expected a little more delving into his not-quite-drowned background. Possibly a drowned god thing. Maybe another half-baked and left to rot plot device by gurm?
Is patchface the drowned god incarnate?

Sorry, meant Patchface. Ninja-edit! :doh:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 4, 2011

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

I dunno. Patchface seems rather content.

edit: and Hodor :colbert:

Speaking of Patchface, is his whole schtick a red herring? I expected a little more delving into his not-quite-drowned background. Possibly a drowned god thing. Maybe another half-baked and left to rot plot device by gurm?
Is moonboy the drowned god incarnate?

Of course Moonboy is content, he's loving Cersei.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ambiguatron posted:

Of course Moonboy is content, he's loving Cersei.

I dunno, Gurm did spend like 40 pages telling us her boobs are sagging.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

Damnit. I haven't gotten to that part yet. Spoiled again. :(

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

IRQ posted:

Moonboy doesn't care about that, it's about the deep emotional connection. He's a lover.

Oh gently caress, now he's going to start whining too.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Is patchface the drowned god incarnate?

Sorry, meant Patchface. Ninja-edit! :doh:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Well, we all know Asha is going to raise Theon to power and attempt to use him to retake the Iron Islands. Maybe they'll somehow discover Patchface and use him as some form of prophet? I can just imagine it now, they triumphately sail back home with Patchface strapped to their mask gibbering nonsense.

Now on to rape, the surprise Not-rape of Asha was a bit out of the blue. She's a strong women and she doesn't seem to take poo poo from guys, you can't tell me she actually secretely loves to get dominated. Thinking about it the sex scene was entirely pointless, as the character had no role in the book. I can't even remember his name.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 4, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Drunkboxer posted:

It is to show that her womb has "quickened" again and thus Zombie Khal Drogo can return in Book 6 as Azor Ahai.

Fog Tripper posted:

Not sure what you mean, the entire book is not about Dany at all. I just like the quasi-Middle East setting of her chapters.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
With Jon Snow for real dead the next Lord Commander needs to form a commission to investigate where the whores of Moletown have gone. That may well be the defining issue of the next election.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ross posted:

It is to show that her womb has "quickened" again and thus Zombie Khal Drogo can return in Book 6 as Azor Ahai.

Not sure what you mean, the entire book is not about Dany at all. I just like the quasi-Middle East setting of her chapters.

I mean that she is pretty much in Meeeeereeeen the entire book, in the "setting" that you like.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

With Jon Snow for real dead the next Lord Commander needs to form a commission to investigate where the whores of Moletown have gone. That may well be the defining issue of the next election.

Tywin took the secret to his grave.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

NoneSuch posted:

Well, we all know Asha is going to raise Theon to power and attempt to use him to retake the Iron Islands.
I can't think of anything less likely to succeed. Parading a castrated, maimed, toothless, wretched gimp in front of hardcore vikings who respect only strength

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

NoneSuch posted:

Now on to rape, the surprise Not-rape of Asha was a bit out of the blue. She's a strong women and she doesn't seem to take poo poo from guys, you can't tell me she actually secretely loves to get dominated.

Yes I can? Hell, that's usually how it works.

TheSleeper
Feb 20, 2003

Iggles posted:

I can't think of anything less likely to succeed. Parading a castrated, maimed, toothless, wretched gimp in front of hardcore vikings who respect only strength

The point isn't that he has to take power, it's that she can use him to nullify the kingsmoot because he was a legitimate claimant that wasn't represented.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

I mean that she is pretty much in Meeeeereeeen the entire book, in the "setting" that you like.

It is, yes, a setting. There's no ambiguity to this.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Iggles posted:

His sister will end up pulling all the strings and forcing Theon to act a role, which he seems pretty good at doing from all that torture. Of course, he'll end up betraying her once she has pushed him in to power.

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Yes I can? Hell, that's usually how it works.

Please imply more :allears: Seriously though, GRRM does an awful job writing female characters, and Asha's getting her clothes cut off and forced hosed is just embarrasing. Especially how she convinces herself she didn't like them anyway, so it's okay.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

NoneSuch posted:

Please imply more :allears: Seriously though, GRRM does an awful job writing female characters, and Asha's getting her clothes cut off and forced hosed is just embarrasing. Especially how she convinces herself she didn't like them anyway, so it's okay.

Oh, I absolutely agree that he's terrible with female characters. I'm just saying it's not "unrealistic" for a strong woman to have a dom fetish. Whether it was needed or not is a whole other story, of course.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

TheSleeper posted:

The point isn't that he has to take power, it's that she can use him to nullify the kingsmoot because he was a legitimate claimant that wasn't represented.
I still don't see the point, even assuming the decision of the Kingsmoot is declared void they wouldn't choose Asha or Theon to lead them.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I think the idea is that she'd be hoping Euron hosed everything up. Then with Victarion out of the way and the other candidates having been discredited, she'd be the only choice left.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I'd let Asha dominated me, Victory Greyjoy too, and don't get me started on ~Daario~ and his sexxy blue beards!

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 5, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bigmcgaffney posted:

I'd let Asha dominated me, Victory Greyjoy too, and don't get me started on ~Daario~ and his sexxy blue beards!

The gold toof man, the gold toof! :swoon:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You forgot the ~*~*~*Golden Mustachios~*~*~*

Paraiba
May 11, 2007
I've always imagined Daario as a somewhat Jack Sparrow-like fellow. You know, that type of guy that makes dumb 16-years-old go batshit insane.

But it looks like everyone else sees him as a flashy Robert Baratheon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

He should ditch Dany and travel hither and yon selling casks of fine rum.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Ambiguatron posted:

He should ditch Dany and travel hither and yon selling casks of fine rum.

Please don't make novella suggestions for the gurm.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Amusingly enough - since that picture is from the CCG - he looks like he could play a King in a deck of poker cards.

Or maybe in BattleChess.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Let me tell you something about Battle Chess. Battle Chess owned.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Update:
Dany takes her bunny ears off in a huff, stamps her feet because she doesn't want dwarves eaten by lions (ENOUGH OF THE loving COCK TEASES ALREADY), and her loose adolescent dragon gets all pissy. She's carried up in the air on his back, looking forward to a good shat I imagine.

Mood: optimistic.

Did you pick up the bits about the honeyed locust? No? Well you're in luck because GRRM sure as poo poo isn't going to make you forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Paraiba posted:

I've always imagined Daario as a somewhat Jack Sparrow-like fellow. You know, that type of guy that makes dumb 16-years-old go batshit insane.

I kept picturing him as Johny Depp.