Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

They're incredible builders and it's a sheer joy watching them work their way through a problem. But too much in the last few seasons, they just cut all that out and wnet with them as merely talking heads.

I think that's what I miss most about previous seasons. It really didn't feel like any other TV show back then, just a camera crew following a couple of crazy scientists around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

DJExile posted:

Just popping in to say I miss the hell out of "It Takes a Thief" :smith:

This was an excellent show. Excellent.

Also the frat house episode was hilarious. BRO HE SMASHED YOUR poo poo BRO OHHHH BRAH I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW BRAAAH OOOOH :ssj:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CommanderApaul posted:

It's possible, but only on firearms that lack modern safety measures (modern as in late-1800s/early 1900s), or on firearms that have intentionally had their safety mechanisms broken or removed.

The Type 94 Nambu is the most recent example I can think of, but that's a case of really poor design.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Type 94 Nambu is the most recent example I can think of, but that's a case of really poor design.

What can possibly go wrong with having an exposed sear? :downsgun:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Capn Beeb posted:

Also the frat house episode was hilarious. BRO HE SMASHED YOUR poo poo BRO OHHHH BRAH I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW BRAAAH OOOOH :ssj:

HE BROKE MY FUCKIN' LEPRECHAUN!

For some reason the one I remember the most was the auto garage where he stole the guy's dog along with everything else. Because multiple Mercedes weren't enough, somehow.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Man Woman Wild sucking on water vines is funny because it reminds me of something else.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Capn Beeb posted:

I never missed an episode of that show, i loved it. Even when they switched it out of prime time i still managed to catch it. I can see why it isn't on anymore but it really needs a comeback.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

I still kind of wish they did that shot anyway just to see what happened.

I guess the RPG would have just smashed into the dummy and not exploded. Which would probably have been fatal, but not vey exciting to watch.

Whereas I wish they had realigned and seen what would happen if the jet of molten copper actually hit the dummy.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Bit late, but this week's Storm Chasers took a step backwards, and I mean that literally. They covered the St Louis tornado that occurred on 4/22, which is a full three days before the last episode.

:confused:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

There was a show on 2 weeks back in a similar vein to 'It Takes a Thief.'

Host basically tags along with criminals. In an hour long episode he joins up with a guy doing credit card fraud (on the host's card), stole the host's car, and then robbed a drug dealer.

It was one of the more intense shows I've ever seen, and have no idea what it was called, or even the channel it aired.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I saw some show on one of these channels about drug dealers, at one point they had a camera crew following a bicycle courier in New York who casually talked about how he delivers "everything but crack, you gotta go to the ghetto for that poo poo" straight to your house on the Upper East Side while cycling down a busy street. :psyduck:

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

New Mythbusters tonight - I would have never known about it if I didn't see this story over at Wired:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/10/penn-teller-tell-a-lie-is-mythbusters-turned-sideways-and-it-works/

Discovery also has a new series starting tonight after Mythbusters called "Penn & Teller Tell A Lie" that's sort of "Mythbusters-esque". The format is they cover 6 or 7 stories that sound too crazy to be true. The "catch" is with the exception of one of them, they are all true and you're supposed to figure out which one is the "lie".

I'm pretty sure that article spoils which story is the lie in tonight's episode, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I like Penn & Teller, so it should be fun to watch.

Plus it's nice to see a new show that isn't "storage auction hunting kings".

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Asmodai_00 posted:

Bit late, but this week's Storm Chasers took a step backwards, and I mean that literally. They covered the St Louis tornado that occurred on 4/22, which is a full three days before the last episode.

I was preparing for Reed to blow up or cry missing those storms, but nothing. Very disappointed. At the very least we saw the Dominator team nearly choke to death on brake dust.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Asmodai_00 posted:

They aired the second or third episode first because they wanted a more exciting season premiere. Hence TIV celebrating their first 3D tornado shot in the premiere and then building the 3D camera rig and failing their first attempts in the next episode.

Also, looks like the network wasn't down for paying the licensing fee for Bon Jovi this season. :v:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

They aired the second or third episode first because they wanted a more exciting season premiere. Hence TIV celebrating their first 3D tornado shot in the premiere and then building the 3D camera rig and failing their first attempts in the next episode.

Also, looks like the network wasn't down for paying the licensing fee for Bon Jovi this season. :v:

I get the reasoning behind the premiere, but to be honest, it wasn't that exciting. It was more exciting watching the web streams of the local news channels than it was watching the three teams fail and suddenly turn into 'first responders.'

And to be fair to Bon Jovi, I don't think "Blaze of Glory" is an appropriate theme for storm chasing anyway. :v:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Radio Nowhere posted:

I was preparing for Reed to blow up or cry missing those storms, but nothing. Very disappointed. At the very least we saw the Dominator team nearly choke to death on brake dust.

I believe you mean Dr. Timmer :smug:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Asmodai_00 posted:

I get the reasoning behind the premiere, but to be honest, it wasn't that exciting. It was more exciting watching the web streams of the local news channels than it was watching the three teams fail and suddenly turn into 'first responders.'

And to be fair to Bon Jovi, I don't think "Blaze of Glory" is an appropriate theme for storm chasing anyway. :v:

It's about as exciting as this show gets. And I'm guessing we are going to see the first responder angle a lot this year after the Yazoo footage from last year.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Did Kari's boobs get big again?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

LordOfThePants posted:

Discovery also has a new series starting tonight after Mythbusters called "Penn & Teller Tell A Lie" that's sort of "Mythbusters-esque". The format is they cover 6 or 7 stories that sound too crazy to be true. The "catch" is with the exception of one of them, they are all true and you're supposed to figure out which one is the "lie".
So it's almost exactly that old "Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction" program hosted by Jonathan Frakes? Because that show was loving awesome :wtc:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Ha ha ha they're even doing the swearing to increase pain tolerance myth.

I don't have high hopes for this.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
I really enjoyed the new Penn and Teller show. I may be biased, as I loved Bullshit, and when I saw their stage performance in Vegas they pulled me on stage for a trick, but I thought it was a lot of fun. I loved that they stuck a couple clues in to give you a hint to the lie, even though it didn't help me guess right. Also, I just loving love their sense of humor.

I definitely recommend it if you can catch it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I could have sworn it was the plane thing, because two shots that had the tail in view showed the rudder actually being used. I guess those were additional shots.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
If you are a fan of Penn and Teller's act you should download their UK show Fool Us.

Garbo
May 30, 2011

magiccarpet posted:

There was a show on 2 weeks back in a similar vein to 'It Takes a Thief.'

Host basically tags along with criminals. In an hour long episode he joins up with a guy doing credit card fraud (on the host's card), stole the host's car, and then robbed a drug dealer.

It was one of the more intense shows I've ever seen, and have no idea what it was called, or even the channel it aired.

It's a Discovery show. I can't remember the name, but it follows some journalist guy who follows criminals as they do their thing. He also did a really good one on drug deals.

-edit- Haha, turns out the credit card fraud episode is on right now. It's called "American Underworld".

Garbo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 7, 2011

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Awesome, thanks for the heads up on the title.

The show really is beyond awesome. While the style isn't as extreme, it has a very Vice sensibility to what its covering, and how far the host goes to keep up with the story.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

This week on Mythbusters:

Myth 1 confirmed in opening test, and I knew Myth 2 wouldn't work thanks to the team using the rocket sled test, so I skipped to the end where they actually busted the myth.

:sigh:

I wish I could enjoy this show still.

Waverider
Oct 26, 2001

Asmodai_00 posted:

This week on Mythbusters:

Myth 1 confirmed in opening test, and I knew Myth 2 wouldn't work thanks to the team using the rocket sled test, so I skipped to the end where they actually busted the myth.

:sigh:

I wish I could enjoy this show still.

They really need to go to one of the bigger rocket sled tracks around the country. If they really want to do some crazy poo poo, take it to the pros. 300mph? How about 2,000mph?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the Adam and Jamie part of this week's episode just for how massively they failed to travel in a straight line.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

muscles like this? posted:

I liked the Adam and Jamie part of this week's episode just for how massively they failed to travel in a straight line.

Usually when a myth is busted right from the start they try to go to some improbable length to make it work.

In other words, to get him to travel in a straight line blindfolded, they should've strapped Adam to the rocket sled.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Who's ready for GOLD RUSH :iiam: this Friday? Also, did we have our own topic last year?

Garbo
May 30, 2011

scanlonman posted:

Who's ready for GOLD RUSH :iiam: this Friday? Also, did we have our own topic last year?

I can't wait. Also Flying Wild Alaska, but watching people be competent is for squares!

I don't think we did a thread last year. Are we allowed to even with a megathread?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Nothing's stopping you from making one if you think there will be enough viewers for it. They did one with Deadliest Catch awhile back.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

scanlonman posted:

The Gold-tards are back! The show is my winter Whale Wars. So will the Hoffman's strike it big? Or will someone die of something completely preventable like unfiltered water?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

scanlonman posted:

You mean the show that exists solely to allow Discovery to air the term "glory hole" as often as possible?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Welp, don't see this on your way to work every day

The inside of the TIV is ridiculously small and cramped.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Radio Nowhere posted:

The Gold-tards are back! The show is my winter Whale Wars. So will the Hoffman's strike it big? Or will someone die of something completely preventable like unfiltered water?

Will everyone gang-up on the one reasonable person and kick him out of camp?

Garbo
May 30, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Will everyone gang-up on the one reasonable person and kick him out of camp?

No, because Dakota Fred is too great to kick :clint:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Welp, don't see this on your way to work every day

The inside of the TIV is ridiculously small and cramped.

Is that a DOW truck next to it? Have they made amends? Assuming they had the falling out the show portrayed to begin with.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Is that a DOW truck next to it? Have they made amends? Assuming they had the falling out the show portrayed to begin with.

Well Sean and crew are going to be in Raleigh tomorrow (an hour away from me) promoting Tornado Alley, which was made while they were working with the DOW, so presumably that's why it's tagging along. Sean was there, but was probably inside the elementary school whenever I pulled up (they were at Ben Martin Elementary School, which was half-leveled by an F3 during April's outbreak; the buildings on either side are still more or less totaled and not cleaned up).

I did point out to the one guy tending the DOW that there was a McDonalds cup in the TIV, and asked him if they took it through the drive-thru. He said yes. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I can't wait for Gold Rush. I hope the old guy gets fed up with the excavator and makes everyone use pick axes and pack mules to dig out the glory hole.

• Locked thread