Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Elves are the most frustrating ancestral enemy. You can't even fight them, they just hide in the forest and snipe peasants with arrows and then run away when you send in a force to deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zkline posted:

It was. Either way, evil plant women should not be messed with, kinky or not.

It seemed like a good idea at the time

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Flame112 posted:

Elves are the most frustrating ancestral enemy. You can't even fight them, they just hide in the forest and snipe peasants with arrows and then run away when you send in a force to deal with them.

Get all the searching+ stuff. There are a couple items, and one of Odayla's blessings that will help. But yeah, they are undoubtedly one of the most annoying ancestral enemies.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
For those wondering about why no digital release: the technology they were using at the time the game was made is /pants on head retarded/ To the point where it's basically impossible, from what I understand. not with their level of technical prowess, anyway. and the 3rd party libraries in question have since been discontinued.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

lizzyinthesky posted:

For those wondering about why no digital release: the technology they were using at the time the game was made is /pants on head retarded/ To the point where it's basically impossible, from what I understand. not with their level of technical prowess, anyway. and the 3rd party libraries in question have since been discontinued.

I don't know what the real reason they're not digitally distributing is, and it's their product so it's their right to do whatever. But I can make a digital release copy myself, and so can you! Copy the files off of the CD and into a folder. Then release it to someone. You are done! This is piracy do not actually do this.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Things have been progressing pretty well for me, but lately, I haven't been able to launch raids against anybody but neighbors-most of whom are my allies, or who I'm trying to foster alliances with. This isn't just cattle raids; it includes full raids . Does anybody know what the cause of this is?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Maybe in the dark season you can't travel as far to raid? I have no idea. I know you can only cattle raid neighbors, but you said that's not the case.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
It should tell you why you can't. Yeah, in the winter there's storms and poo poo, deal or wait until Fire season and reserve Dark for magic and poo poo. Maybe don't pick ice demons for your traditional enemy next time, if you did that. If your neighbors aren't letting you through their land, bribe 'em or ally with 'em (they might already be friendly with the guys you're trying to raid, which could explain it)

Usually I try to have someone close to home to pick on anyway, they're much easier to fight and it leaves you the option to expand your tula as necessary. Sorta sucks when all your enemies move away and while they keep raiding away punitive attacks don't net you much profit.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
It's also worth noting that according to the manual, in the non-tribal game you can only raid neighbors, unless there's a feud between your two clans. This aims to focus your attention on neighboring clans, who are the ones you'll be inviting into your tribe or kicking off their land anyway. In the tribal phase you can raid and be raided by anybody, feuding or not.
Also, 2.0.2 is out. I wonder what this new scene is? VoiceOver support is wonderful, and David's a class ac for including it.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

zkline posted:

It's also worth noting that according to the manual, in the non-tribal game you can only raid neighbors, unless there's a feud between your two clans. This aims to focus your attention on neighboring clans, who are the ones you'll be inviting into your tribe or kicking off their land anyway. In the tribal phase you can raid and be raided by anybody, feuding or not.
Also, 2.0.2 is out. I wonder what this new scene is? VoiceOver support is wonderful, and David's a class ac for including it.

I think this may be it. I was feuding with one of my neighbors that was to be resident kicking bag, and ended up forcing them off their land. They offered me lots of cows to make peace, so I did. The rest of neighbors I'd been building up an alliance with.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Clans have always offered you tribute if you are kicking their butts, if that is what you mean.

Sweet, just raided a clan who sent out 0 weaponthanes or footmen.

Edit: Okay, this has to be a bug:

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 10, 2011

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
I'd email A-Sharp about it, (bugz at) and let them know. I've never ran into that before, though have had clans send a pretty low number of thanes to the fight as I've beaten on them.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Gotta say I'd give a pass for the weaponthanes not seeing that one sneaking by

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Flame112 posted:

Clans have always offered you tribute if you are kicking their butts, if that is what you mean.

Sweet, just raided a clan who sent out 0 weaponthanes or footmen.

Edit: Okay, this has to be a bug:

They're sending their ancestral spirits against you! :ohdear:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Is there something specific you have to do in order to win the game, or am I just missing something? My clan's been built up to the point where there's not much more for me to do--I'm king of my tribe, built shrines to and learned all the mysteries of all the gods, finished all the heroquests I've gotten, (some multiple times) explored the entire map outside of a few straggling spots by the edges, and I'm popular amongst the other clans, except for the 2 or 3 that I beat the tar out of every Fire season. At this point there doesn't seem to be a whole lot left to do other than just react to various random events--am I missing something?

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Have you been getting hints of prophecy on occasion? It might take a while, but you should begin being nudged toward the end eventually. Have you done seven different hero quests, including the one for your patron ;deity?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
As far as I know, the only requirements are that you need to be the king of your tribe and have seven different hero quests performed for things to get started. However, it can take a while so it's best to choose a young king.

In the last game I played, right after the endgame stuff started occurring, my tribe rose up against me and forced me to renounce the throne, so some other clan won the game. My game over screen was something about my clan being nothing more than a footnote to history. :smith:

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
You must have done something to really upset them then… For what it's worth, I got an event about tribal rebellion once and was able to calm things down with the Making of the Storm Tribe quest. That one has an option to ward off rebellion.
When I became tribal King I'd routinely send off big caravans loaded down with gifts, mostly goods, of which I head way too many. I was eventualy able to ally with all but one of my tribe mates.
As far as the young king issue, I think there's a treasure which may help with that, though I'm not sure of its exact effects. I'm referring to the motion rune banner.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

zkline posted:

Have you been getting hints of prophecy on occasion? It might take a while, but you should begin being nudged toward the end eventually. Have you done seven different hero quests, including the one for your patron ;deity?

Yeah, I've done all nine quests, some multiple times. I can't remember whether or not I've had my king himself go on any hero quests though--I've been shying away from using my best nobles for fear of the RNG brutally murdering them. (I think I lost about half a dozen nobles doing the Uralda quest) If that's particularly important, I'll send him on a few.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
It isn't and you probably shouldn't. At some point you should just start getting squabbling-neighbor disputes with the option to use them as an excuse to form a town, and that'll carry you on to the next step. The crucial parts are to do all the heroquests, doing the Orlanth quest for the kingmaker/rep reward and patron god quest again can't hurt though (unless you get your king killed doing it, don't use your king).

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
WHen I ran Uralda I got lucky and was able to convince the bulls to help the two-legs right at the start, thus skipping the RNG's unpleasantness. I did send my king on a couple quests, they all turned out swimmingly. I wasn't afraid to restore if a quest did something awful, I accidentally ran ELmal without knowing the full story and my great temple to Orlanth was destroyed by a bolt of lightning…

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Man, some clan I was feuding with offered a peace parley on neutral ground, and then betrayed me and killed like 4 of my ring members once they got there. Time to send my 45 weaponthanes out!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Flame112 posted:

Man, some clan I was feuding with offered a peace parley on neutral ground, and then betrayed me and killed like 4 of my ring members once they got there. Time to send my 45 weaponthanes out!

I hope you set the battle objective to kill as many as possible! :black101:

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
I lost my tribal king to a trick like that. I was a coward and restored immediately, because no way am I going to let another clan keep me from the kingship that way. Next time, I won't be such a wuss.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Should note that Humkat likes it when you want to murder as many people as possible. A Humkat sacrifice + slaughterfest objective always seems to go well for me.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Best combat setup I've ever found is: quest for klanth of orlanth, quest for humakt's murder sword or whatever it is - both artifacts activate automatically in battle if you satisfy their conditions and never break. So anyway, get both of those, sacrifice to humakt, then pick kill as many as possible (turns on humakt sword) and charge (turns on orlanth klanth). Even if you lose you will reliably kill multiple enemy weaponthanes unless they absolutely unload on you with clan magic.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Man I wish there were more games like this, having a blast even though I don't really know wtf.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Can someone tell me about crafters? They seem to just produce a very small number of goods each year, and I can't see how to increase their numbers. Do the trade goods (clay, iron, etc) do anything other than trigger the event where someone tries to buy them from you?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Crafters generate goods. The more crafters you have the better, as you can trade goods for cattle or magic items, and they are consumed by your temples which cast awesome spells on your tula.

In the iOS version you can't change the number of crafters you have because everyone just set their bar to max on the PC version, so it was a layer of needless complexity.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I think you can increase the amount of goods you get each year by having more trading partners.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just managed to form a tribe but it was a comedy of errors. I accidentally invited a feuding nation and had to give ridiculous concessions.

Also, instead of making our leader king, we propped up one of our allies. Does this matter for the victory conditions or whatever?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kekekela posted:

Also, instead of making our leader king, we propped up one of our allies. Does this matter for the victory conditions or whatever?

You'll only win with someone from your clan as king, but you can wait a while. The current king you elected will eventually step down, or perhaps be a victim of Unfortunate Circumstances. I think in my first game we went through three other kings before I managed to get one of mine on the chair.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It IS possible to (sort of) get the ducks into your tribe - if you succeed in convincing the other clans of their merit (I have an amazing poet), then they will let the ducks enter into a special alliance with your tribe. It isn't full membership, but it's something, at least. GO DUCKS

Binbin
Jul 15, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

It IS possible to (sort of) get the ducks into your tribe - if you succeed in convincing the other clans of their merit (I have an amazing poet), then they will let the ducks enter into a special alliance with your tribe. It isn't full membership, but it's something, at least. GO DUCKS

They will never allow them to live in your city when you build it though :[

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binbin posted:

They will never allow them to live in your city when you build it though :[

Is there a mod that lets you play as the ducks? 420 Worship Humakt and kill undead everyday.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
We have another update out today, version 2.0.3. I wonder what these new scenes he's been adding are, and if any old hands have run into them. This version works quite a bit better with VoiceOver, which is great since that's how I play.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Once I become king and the two new things open up to spend magic on at the beginning of the year...umm, whats up with those? (destiny and heroism iirc)

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Kekekela posted:

Once I become king and the two new things open up to spend magic on at the beginning of the year...umm, whats up with those? (destiny and heroism iirc)

According to the manual:

Not terribly descriptive, but I assume it increases the chance of a (correct) decision you make being successful... or something.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Welp, my first "real" game just concluded. My bitchy tribe mates asked me to step down and I said they'd have to kill me and I guess we know how that ended up. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
You can win that battle for epic ownage.

• Locked thread