Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

It was just a mini. It's done.

Maybe retroactively. It was intended to be an ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscope posted:

Keeping this in the Ultimate U, in 'Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk', Fury tells Wolverine his mutant power is less healing and more technically suriving (he tells him this while Logan is just a head on a desk) but then Ultimate Wolverine proved far less resilient than his 616 counterpart in Ultimatum. For all the hate the book gets, I enjoyed it, but then I read it as a trade, not single issues.

Huh, I thought Ultimate Hulk's the one whose power was "surviving". Although really the only Ultimate Hulk stuff I've read was Ultimate Human where he pretty much rapid-evolves an immunity to anything that can stop him, like nanobots.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ultimate X-Men is a direct continuation of Ultimate X.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TwoPair posted:

It includes whatever the writer needs to make the story work, like any other character.
Somewhere in the ultimate universe a strand or Wolverine's hair or a splatter of blood is trying to grow claws.
It least I hope it's blood or hair he tries to regrows from, rather than the contents of a spoiled kleenex.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Maybe retroactively. It was intended to be an ongoing.

Yeah, it was changed after a couple issues. Probably something to do with only getting 5 issues out in 15 or so months.

TheJoker138 posted:

Ultimate X-Men is a direct continuation of Ultimate X.

Well it definitely picks up one thread. But a lot of the focus looks like it's going to be on Kitty's group with Jimmy jumping from Ultimate X to the new X-Men. Whereas Ultimate Hawkeye seems to indicate the rest of the Ultimate X team is going to be under Fury's direction.

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 5, 2011

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

Really? I never understood the argument against organic web-shooters. Dude gets bit by spiders, gets various spider-powers, but not the ability to make webs? Seems lame and/or strange. Also, I can't think of a single thing shooters contribute to the story besides creating a false sense of drama during a story (when Spider-Man runs out of web fluid now *gasp* how will he survive?!).

The only decent argument I've seen is that inventing the slingers and/or web fluid cements Peter (and/or Miles) as a smart kid who relies on his brain in fights rather than just getting into punch-fests like other heroes, and it seems like there are definitely other ways to portray that.

There's a million little reasons I hate organic web shooters but here is the big one with having it in-comic: it's a biological function that does exactly what his gizmo used to do. It's like if Captain America got an organic adamantium/vibranium shield that came out of his back, with the stars and stripes logo and everything. Even for a comic where getting bit by a genetically altered/radioactive/whatever spider gives you awesome powers instead of getting really sick, it stretches the bounds of credulity and coincidence.

It's actually even worse if Miles has them (I don't think he does, though) because at least when Peter got them in regular Marvel there was this mystical element and they even kind of retconned his web-shooter invention as being influenced by the spider totem... There really isn't anything like that in Ultimate so it'd literally be some guy getting a mutation that lets him do exactly what this other guy with the same basic power set used to do with a highly complex mechanical delivery system for artificial polymers.

Some other reasons it's lame, for kicks: Spiders don't shoot web out their hands, it removes the neato-keen amateur scientist touch to the character's power arsenal, removes all the cool "special batches" of web-fluid Spidey can cook up for a specific foe, also makes some of the applications of the webs seem difficult to explain and convey (how do you do a wide nozzle spread with your gross pulsating wrist web-hole?), it ADDS nothing in exchange for the stuff you lose I just mentioned, since it's just "something he does", it's basically making a common misconception by non-fans into canon, it's kind of mega-gross and creepy if you think about it at all, Sam Raimi likes them so it's automatically bad.

Also the movie version of the webs were organic and they both looked and sounded wrong, and I can't dissociate that grating too-high-pitched web noise from the in-comic organic webbing now.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Lurdiak posted:

it removes all the cool "special batches" of web-fluid Spidey can cook up for a specific foe, also makes some of the applications of the webs seem difficult to explain and convey (how do you do a wide nozzle spread with your gross pulsating wrist web-hole?),

I really don't think this is a majorly defining aspect of Spidey; in fact I don't even think it's ever come up in the Ultimate universe.

Peter's a genius, but he's not developing industrial technology at 15. If he did, he wouldn't NEED to be Spiderman, he'd just sell that after spending maybe 2 years perfecting the formula for all the various applications. And then, as a multi-millionaire, he could do FAR more good for all the people he wants to help.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

I really don't think this is a majorly defining aspect of Spidey; in fact I don't even think it's ever come up in the Ultimate universe.

Peter's a genius, but he's not developing industrial technology at 15. If he did, he wouldn't NEED to be Spiderman, he'd just sell that after spending maybe 2 years perfecting the formula for all the various applications. And then, as a multi-millionaire, he could do FAR more good for all the people he wants to help.

I'm just speaking in general. All those reasons I mentioned besides the big one are little more than personal preferences but I'm not going to ever change my mind about organic webbing being lame and for math teacher dads with pencil mustaches and coke bottle glasses. Organic webbing rides a segway to its job at the farmer's market while texting its mom about the latest episode of Glee.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TwoPair posted:

Huh, I thought Ultimate Hulk's the one whose power was "surviving". Although really the only Ultimate Hulk stuff I've read was Ultimate Human where he pretty much rapid-evolves an immunity to anything that can stop him, like nanobots.

They both have the power, it's just Wolverine's is more blatant. He's basically Ult. Darwin as well as Wolverine.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

invalid user posted:

Serious question: Did you ever read about his transformation into the Man-Spider? He totally becomes an 8 limbed, hinged-jawed monstrosity.

Kinda joke question: Did you ever learn about capital letters?

serious answer: yeah, and I read the part where he has wrist spikes and eats Baron Mordo's face, neither of which lasted

kinda joke answer: I don't have time for capitalization

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

serious answer: yeah, and I read the part where he has wrist spikes and eats Baron Mordo's face, neither of which lasted

That'd be Morlun.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Went into my local shop today and was like "Oh boy! I wonder what new Ultimate Comic it is this week!" figuring it'd be 4 titles to 4 weeks and, since it's NEW COMIC DAY (oh boy!) there'd be one. I was disappointed to find not a single new issue in the Ultimate Comics line. Last week had UCSM and Ultimates though. Are they just putting out UCSM whenever the hell they feel like it or has something been delayed?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The first 3 of UCSM are bi-weekly then changes to monthly i think if I remember from the last time I checked comixology.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Lurdiak posted:

Spiders don't shoot web out their hands,

They also don't have 24 packs of abs but Peter got those too? Organic Webs would be reasonable compared to half the poo poo in the Marvel Universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I cannot wait for more Miles. Even though the comics have been really great, I can't help but feel that this, of all times, should be when Bendis tries to fit a little more story in every issue instead of going for the super-decompressed. Like, I can't really point to any particular scene or panel I'd cut from the first 2 issues because they were great, but it still feels like we're waiting for the story to start. I guess we kind of are? I'm not sure that's the best way to establish a new character.

^burtle posted:

They also don't have 24 packs of abs but Peter got those too? Organic Webs would be reasonable compared to half the poo poo in the Marvel Universe.

Good point, howev-

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It is a good thing that the first three issues have come flying out of the door. I'm glad to have the quick shipping of 1-3 in order to get up to speed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I cannot wait for more Miles. Even though the comics have been really great, I can't help but feel that this, of all times, should be when Bendis tries to fit a little more story in every issue instead of going for the super-decompressed. Like, I can't really point to any particular scene or panel I'd cut from the first 2 issues because they were great, but it still feels like we're waiting for the story to start. I guess we kind of are? I'm not sure that's the best way to establish a new character.

It worked for the original run of USM. And that had less to do considering we had a rough idea who Peter Parker is and what his powers are. Miles and his family are a blank slate. I love the little beats Bendis has put in which just scream how this kid IS Spider-Man. Recognising how unfair the lottery for the charter school is, his relationship with his uncle, his argument with his buddy over the mutant issue.

That last one could be a big moment down the line. I'm kind of expecting a scene where he has to choose to help the X-Men or fight them, and that's what really turns the tide of public opinion back to the traditional 'Spider-Man: Threat or Menace!' set-up. Because he won't be Spidey unless doing the right thing makes his life suck.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

That last one could be a big moment down the line. I'm kind of expecting a scene where he has to choose to help the X-Men or fight them, and that's what really turns the tide of public opinion back to the traditional 'Spider-Man: Threat or Menace!' set-up. Because he won't be Spidey unless doing the right thing makes his life suck.

I don't know, I don't think it'll take much to get public opinion against him when he shows up as Spider-Man. I mean, we already saw in Ultimate Fallout that people think it's in poor taste for him to be around, and judging by how sad JJJ was at the funeral, I'd imagine it'll take, like, one appearance for him to start printing up "Spider-Man: In Poor Taste or a Total rear end in a top hat!" headlines.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, I don't think it'll take much to get public opinion against him when he shows up as Spider-Man. I mean, we already saw in Ultimate Fallout that people think it's in poor taste for him to be around, and judging by how sad JJJ was at the funeral, I'd imagine it'll take, like, one appearance for him to start printing up "Spider-Man: In Poor Taste or a Total rear end in a top hat!" headlines.

In a way, when the stories start to write themselves, you know you've started with a good premise. Say what you will about Bendis, it's gonna be INTERESTING to see how this plays out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

True, but all it'd take to get rid of that is Aunt May and Gwen making a statement in favour of him. Him being pro-mutie? That's going to be harder to swallow.

And I think I've figured out the hook between Miles and Peter. The Parker luck is going to strike and Miles' Uncle or dad is going to be about to die... and Spider-Man saves him. It's the 'what if Batman was around when the Waynes went into the alley' twist. Uncle Ben died because, costume or not, Peter wasn't Spider-Man yet. Uncle Aaron won't die because Spider-Man does exist and that's why Miles is going to put the suit on.

(Watch me be totally wrong and Bendis makes fun of this idea in #5)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I dunno if it will be quite that straightforward, but it seems pretty clear that Peter inspired Miles at some point before he died. Maybe he will save a family member, save Miles, or even simply perform some act of heroism in front of Miles. Peter was Spider-Man- he had been dedicating his life to public acts of inspiring heroism, so it isn't like that sort of experience is hard to come by. That part really writes itself, too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

USM#3 is giving me problems on comixology (stuck in a "you've already purchased but haven't downloaded" loop) but managed to read UXM#2 just now and I liked it. I'm playing catch up with some of what's being thrown since #1 was my first entry but I like the direction they're taking with this.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

USM#3 is giving me problems on comixology (stuck in a "you've already purchased but haven't downloaded" loop) but managed to read UXM#2 just now and I liked it. I'm playing catch up with some of what's being thrown since #1 was my first entry but I like the direction they're taking with this.
It's done that to me before too. I got it to work by closing the browser and trying again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chaltab posted:

It's done that to me before too. I got it to work by closing the browser and trying again.

I do all my purchases through the iPhone app. The problem seems to be that while my purchase appears to have gone through (it's already in my iTunes purchase history), comixology is not seeing this so it's not showing on my purchase list or letting download and trying to re-download it just makes comixology see I have in fact bought it but gives me no way to add/download it so I'm in some bizarro loop. No biggie.

UXM-newbie question: is He someone that's been previously hinted from a previous plot or is it still too early to know where this is going? Not trying to find out who he is/may be, just trying to figure out how much I may be missing from not having read anything previous.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

UXM-newbie question: is He someone that's been previously hinted from a previous plot or is it still too early to know where this is going? Not trying to find out who he is/may be, just trying to figure out how much I may be missing from not having read anything previous.

Who is "he"? I haven't read the issue yet, but all the characters in the first issue were previously introduced in other titles.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's from today's. You'll get to it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

UXM was really hammy and awful and the art can get sort of ridiculous sometimes.

USM is still good and very pretty. Hope it gears up soon.

Spurite Based
Jan 18, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought they were just talking about God?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
So getting back into comics after a while I'm finding I'm totally uninterested in anything happening in 616 Marvel but really excited for everything Ultimate right now. I need to get caught up on some stuff but I've really liked every Miles issue of Ultimate Spidey so far and have found Ultimate X-Men to be at least above average (or at least, improving on Ultimate X and stripping it of the lovely Loeb melodrama. Plus including Kitty & Bobby & Johnny). I was most excited for Hickman's Ultimates and Ultimate Hawkeye because Hickman has been one of my favourite writers lately, but I haven't read those yet because I've heard that they build on a bunch of Ultimate Fallout stuff which I haven't read yet. Would it be much of a problem or should I wait to properly catch up before jumping aboard there? I've read all the previous volumes of The Ultimates (though not Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates).

Also: has it be said in any interviews or whatever which team in Ultimate X-Men is actually the "X-Men"? We've got Jimmy and friends on one hand and Kitty, Bobby, and Johnny on the other. I figured UXM would follow Jimmy etc. because that was the mutant team established in Ultimate X but none of them even showed up in issue #2.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Had Kirkman not already done Apocalypse I would presume that it was him they were talking about. "God" coming from a temple in Egypt to be the savior of the mutant race is pretty much his MO.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

So getting back into comics after a while I'm finding I'm totally uninterested in anything happening in 616 Marvel but really excited for everything Ultimate right now. I need to get caught up on some stuff but I've really liked every Miles issue of Ultimate Spidey so far and have found Ultimate X-Men to be at least above average (or at least, improving on Ultimate X and stripping it of the lovely Loeb melodrama. Plus including Kitty & Bobby & Johnny). I was most excited for Hickman's Ultimates and Ultimate Hawkeye because Hickman has been one of my favourite writers lately, but I haven't read those yet because I've heard that they build on a bunch of Ultimate Fallout stuff which I haven't read yet. Would it be much of a problem or should I wait to properly catch up before jumping aboard there? I've read all the previous volumes of The Ultimates (though not Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates).

Also: has it be said in any interviews or whatever which team in Ultimate X-Men is actually the "X-Men"? We've got Jimmy and friends on one hand and Kitty, Bobby, and Johnny on the other. I figured UXM would follow Jimmy etc. because that was the mutant team established in Ultimate X but none of them even showed up in issue #2.

Jean, Liz and the Griffin guy are "Ultimate X", they're Fury's Mutant secret Mutant Ops team and are appearing in the Hawkeye mini. Jimmy will probably be joining up with Kitty/Iceman/Torch/Rogue and be the actual X-Men. Storm and Colossus we're shown to be alive so I'm sure they'll be on the team eventually as well.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Dacap posted:

Jean, Liz and the Griffin guy are "Ultimate X", they're Fury's Mutant secret Mutant Ops team and are appearing in the Hawkeye mini. Jimmy will probably be joining up with Kitty/Iceman/Torch/Rogue and be the actual X-Men. Storm and Colossus we're shown to be alive so I'm sure they'll be on the team eventually as well.

Ah, alright. Man, it almost seems like Hickman is deliberately making his Ultimate schtick "cleaning up after Jeph Loeb," between the Thor mini, taking over The Ultimates, and establishing the in-universe function of Loeb's mutant team.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Waterhaul posted:

Had Kirkman not already done Apocalypse I would presume that it was him they were talking about. "God" coming from a temple in Egypt to be the savior of the mutant race is pretty much his MO.

Turns out that one was Penultimate Apocalypse :downsrim:

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Spurite Based posted:

I thought they were just talking about God?

I thought so too, but then I was wondering, did we ever find out who, exactly, was putting together the Ultimate X team? They kept hinting that someone was driving it but I don't recall if that went anywhere because gently caress Ultimate X.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I thought so too, but then I was wondering, did we ever find out who, exactly, was putting together the Ultimate X team? They kept hinting that someone was driving it but I don't recall if that went anywhere because gently caress Ultimate X.

It was Nick Fury. Who's kind of like God, I guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

It was Nick Fury. Who's kind of like God, I guess.

That is not true as Nick Fury has a god and he has a hammer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Since you've read almost all the previous volumes of Ultimates my suggestion would be to read the following stuff to help you get into the Hickman stuff. It's not required, but it'll definitely help you understand more of what's going on.

The Ultimate Doomsday Trilogy: This is pretty much how the main antagonist gets to be the way he is.
Ultimate Thor Mini: This is by Hickman himself and fills in most of the holes regarding Thor's origins and explaining many inconsistencies between the different appearances of him.
Ultimate Fallout: Lays most of the groundwork for all the titles that are running now.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

So getting back into comics after a while I'm finding I'm totally uninterested in anything happening in 616 Marvel but really excited for everything Ultimate right now.
Besides the Ultimates and the new stuff, what Ultimate stuff have you read?

I would really recommend reading as much of, if not all, of Ultimate Spider-Man, which is quite a bit. It's great the entire way through, in my opinion (though Bendis' storytelling style is "slow", in trade it's an awesome build.) I also enjoyed Ultimate Fantastic Four at the beginning too, although the quality dropped off a bit.

Ultimate X-Men had its ups and downs through its original run, that's for sure.

Did you read the Death of Spider-Man arc of USM? If not, it's interesting to read that and Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates, as they are parallel story arcs and one ties directly in to the other.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates was basically a bag full of air with really cool stuff painted on the bag. but if you try to reach in and find anything of substance, it deflates with a farting noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Lurdiak posted:

Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates was basically a bag full of air with really cool stuff painted on the bag. but if you try to reach in and find anything of substance, it deflates with a farting noise.

It had great Leinil Yu art and it did what it needed to do, get Fury back at the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'm not saying it ranks anywhere near Hickman's Ultimates so far or even Millar's original run but it was better than Ultimate Comics: Avengers and worlds better than Loeb's Ultimates books. I enjoyed it.

• Locked thread