Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

StrikerJ posted:

Any suggestions for non-fiction books about gangs (as in street gangs like Bloods or MS-13 and similar)? Thanks in advance.

While I have a few problems with it, Sudhir Venkatesh's Gang Leader For a Day provides a really interesting look at the organization and operations of Chicago's Black Kings gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

funkybottoms posted:

Sudhir Venkatesh's Gang Leader For a Day

Coming here to post this. Also, Herbert Asbury's The Gangs of New York: An Informal History of the Underworld is a dated mishmash of anecdotes and possibly misleading and inaccurate history. It is fascinating and an great read, however.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

StrikerJ posted:

Any suggestions for non-fiction books about gangs (as in street gangs like Bloods or MS-13 and similar)? Thanks in advance.

Among The Thugs by Bill Buford is almost like a real-life A Clockwork Orange, where Buford follows a gang of "football hooligans" as they rampage across Europe during the World Cup. True story, and a really fascinating read.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 22, 2016

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Adrianics posted:

Am looking to bolster my collection of American History books: Can anyone recommend an easy-to-read and engrossing non-fiction book about the Vietnam War, along the same lines as Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin and Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson? Obviously looking for accounts of America's involvement, contexts, histories, etc. Thanks in advance :)

Sheehan's "A Bright Shining Lie" is pretty good. It's a non-fiction story about an American soldier's rise and fall that parallels his country's military involvement in Southeast Asia.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
The Library of America has a pretty good two-volume set collecting reportage from Vietnam. There's a lot of neat stuff there: David Halberstam's profile of John Paul Vann, memoirs from front-line soliders, lengthy excepts from Dispatches and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail and a cool Tom Wolfe piece on fighter pilots. I'm not sure if I'd call it engrossing, but it was a fascinating read.

lycheeee
Jan 14, 2011

what up meat puck
Looking for some good contemporary sociology books. I just graduated after studying sociology (and am now in a great tech job thank you very much) and kind of miss the reading. Any suggestions? I'm mostly into media/technology/culture/theory/micro sort of stuff but open to anything interesting.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Are there any good crime novels set in the Middle East, North Africa, or India? I've read Vikram Chandra's Sacred Games and loved it, but was disappointed by Rawi Hage's De Niro's Game because it abandoned the crime aspect incredibly early into the book in exchange for "main character fucks around and is an rear end in a top hat." I'd prefer it to be set in the Middle East and be contemporary, but any crime fiction in that general part of the world would be good.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Are there any good crime novels set in the Middle East, North Africa, or India? I've read Vikram Chandra's Sacred Games and loved it, but was disappointed by Rawi Hage's De Niro's Game because it abandoned the crime aspect incredibly early into the book in exchange for "main character fucks around and is an rear end in a top hat." I'd prefer it to be set in the Middle East and be contemporary, but any crime fiction in that general part of the world would be good.

So an Indian friend of mine told me that Surender Pathak is the king of super cheesy Indian pulp, but as far as I can tell there are only 2 books available in English: http://www.amazon.com/Lakh-Heist-Surender-Mohan-Pathak/dp/8190605658/
Look at that cover! Publisher is here: http://blaft.com/ I kinda want to buy everything on this site.

Have you read The Thief and the Dogs by Mahfouz? It's not a crime novel exactly, but I feel like you'd dig it.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 5, 2011

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

StrikerJ posted:

I can't vouch for it myself, but David Simon's book The Corner was the basis for The Wire.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

The Arabesk trilogy (Pashazade, Effendi, Felaheen) by Jon Courtenay Grimwood is pretty good - it takes place in an alternate version of North Africa where the Ottoman Empire never collapsed. It's not exactly a series of crime thrillers per se but the first book at least has the main character trying to solve the murder of a family member and unraveling a conspiracy. Might be worth checking out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ShutteredIn posted:

So an Indian friend of mine told me that Surender Pathak is the king of super cheesy Indian pulp, but as far as I can tell there are only 2 books available in English: http://www.amazon.com/Lakh-Heist-Surender-Mohan-Pathak/dp/8190605658/
Look at that cover! Publisher is here: http://blaft.com/ I kinda want to buy everything on this site.

Have you read The Thief and the Dogs by Mahfouz? It's not a crime novel exactly, but I feel like you'd dig it.

Encryptic posted:

The Arabesk trilogy (Pashazade, Effendi, Felaheen) by Jon Courtenay Grimwood is pretty good - it takes place in an alternate version of North Africa where the Ottoman Empire never collapsed. It's not exactly a series of crime thrillers per se but the first book at least has the main character trying to solve the murder of a family member and unraveling a conspiracy. Might be worth checking out.
Thanks, both of you! I think I'll end up getting all of these at some point, they all sound right up my alley.

Encryptic, could you elaborate a bit on what sci-fi elements are in the Arabesk trilogy? I really like the synopsis but all the reviews are talking about it being SF. Is that just because of the alternate history aspect or what? I like the sound of the story well enough to overcome my wariness of SF and get it anyway, I'd just like to know what to expect.

Also, thanks for linking that website, ShutteredIn! A lot of the books listed there sound really good--I'll definitely buy at least those Tamil Pulp Fiction Collections...I mean, how can you say no to a cover like this:

:D

dream owl
Jul 19, 2010

StrikerJ posted:

You should try Adrian Nicole LeBlanc's book, Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble and Coming of Age in the Bronx. She's a literary journalist who spent a decade immersed in the life of one (extended) family. Gang culture plays a big role.

damage path
Aug 15, 2001
Out of order? FUCK! Even in the future, nothing works!
I just finished Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 and enjoyed it. Since I liked this book is it reasonable to assume I may like his other works? From what I've read about them they are longer and more challenging to read.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Encryptic, could you elaborate a bit on what sci-fi elements are in the Arabesk trilogy? I really like the synopsis but all the reviews are talking about it being SF. Is that just because of the alternate history aspect or what? I like the sound of the story well enough to overcome my wariness of SF and get it anyway, I'd just like to know what to expect.

I don't recall it being very heavily sci-fi - there's some futuristic elements but it's not like "The Ottoman Empire - IN SPACE" or something. Grimwood's written other stuff that's definitely SF (Stamping Butterflies), but not this. I checked the (spoilerific) Wiki entry on the trilogy to refresh my memory before I posted originally so hopefully you should be safe. ;)

damage path posted:

I just finished Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 and enjoyed it. Since I liked this book is it reasonable to assume I may like his other works? From what I've read about them they are longer and more challenging to read.

If you liked COL49 - you might like his other stuff - it definitely has the same tone but on a much larger scale that makes it difficult to follow (for me anyway). I love his stuff, but I understand probably about 75% of it on a good day.

Gravity's Rainbow is of course his most famous book and probably the one thing anyone should read by Pynchon, I'd say - it's insane, funny and brilliant in one package. I'd also throw out Mason and Dixon - I loved it but the olde tyme style Pynchon wrote it in can take a while to parse sometimes. It is probably his most straight-forward book though, since it focuses on Mason and Dixon for the most part.

Finally - Inherent Vice is pretty fun too if you're into detective fiction at all or just enjoy Pynchon's brand of humor.

Edit: The Pynchon Wiki is a good resource for tracking down some of the more obscure references and the like.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 6, 2011

damage path
Aug 15, 2001
Out of order? FUCK! Even in the future, nothing works!

Encryptic posted:

If you liked COL49 - you might like his other stuff - it definitely has the same tone but on a much larger scale that makes it difficult to follow (for me anyway). I love his stuff, but I understand probably about 75% of it on a good day.

Gravity's Rainbow is of course his most famous book and probably the one thing anyone should read by Pynchon, I'd say - it's insane, funny and brilliant in one package. I'd also throw out Mason and Dixon - I loved it but the olde tyme style Pynchon wrote it in can take a while to parse sometimes. It is probably his most straight-forward book though, since it focuses on Mason and Dixon for the most part.

Finally - Inherent Vice is pretty fun too if you're into detective fiction at all or just enjoy Pynchon's brand of humor.

Edit: The Pynchon Wiki is a good resource for tracking down some of the more obscure references and the like.

Thanks for the reassurance. I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought V., Gravity's Rainbow, Vineland, and Mason and Dixon before posting my question. I will probably read GR last since I think it is the longest? I also did order the companion guide to it since I read reviews saying it is basically a must have, especially if you are younger than 40 since you won't get that many more references.

Sir Wilson
Sep 17, 2007
I have a very odd request.

Does anyone know of any first-person perspective, science fiction that is either written by a female author or from a female perspective? It's something I've been interested lately.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Sir Wilson posted:

Does anyone know of any first-person perspective, science fiction that is either written by a female author or from a female perspective? It's something I've been interested lately.

Why would this be odd?

James Alan Gardener always writes from first person, and I love his stuff. Expendable is the first in a series, it's from a female first-person narrator, and it is awesome. The rest of the series is even more awesome and several of the books feature female narrators. Committment Hour is also by him, not part of the series, and has a first-person female narrator some of the time.

John Barnes wrote Orbital Resonance which has the flavour of a modern Heinlein juvenile & has a female first-person narrator.

Mira Grant's Feed is a zombie apocalypse novel written by a woman with a first-person female narrator.

The Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes and Guilt-Edged Ivory by Doris Egan. A cultural anthropologist ends up on a planet where magic works and boy is she pissed.

Kage Baker's Company series has several books which are narrated from first-person by a woman, including the first of the series, In the Garden of Iden.

Talking to a friend of mine about it, we realised that while lots of urban fantasy/paranormal romance and associated semi-detective-noir genres seem to lend themselves well to first, most sf we can think of is written in tight third, and most fantasy tends to be either omni (well, not real omni, but sort of) or a lot of alternating tight third viewpoints.

Idonie fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 8, 2011

dream owl
Jul 19, 2010
Octavia Butler! At least some of the Patternist books are first person, and even when writing in third she's often intimate enough with the mind of the protagonist that it feels first-person (Kindred).

Maybe someone can double-check my memory.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

damage path posted:

Thanks for the reassurance. I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought V., Gravity's Rainbow, Vineland, and Mason and Dixon before posting my question. I will probably read GR last since I think it is the longest? I also did order the companion guide to it since I read reviews saying it is basically a must have, especially if you are younger than 40 since you won't get that many more references.

Yeah, a companion will help with GR, definitely. I couldn't get into V. despite trying a few times - not trying to discourage you or anything - just my experience with that one. I've read everything else he's written except for Vineland and his short story collection Slow Learner - everything is good to one degree or another, though Against The Day wasn't my favorite, either.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sir Wilson posted:

Ursala K LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sir Wilson posted:

Do you want it to be particularly about gender, or are you just after female protagonists? There's The Hunger Games (bad), and Embassytown (good), which are both sci-fi novels told in first person by a female protagonist.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Does anyone know of any good short stories or novels that have ghost/horror/supernatural themes? I'm not big on King, but I've read his work. I enjoyed his son's short story collection, though. I want something interesting and unsettling.

I grabbed an anthology called "Poe's Children", so we'll see how that goes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sir Wilson posted:

It's not first-person, but C. S. Friedman is a pretty good science fiction author and a lot of her work focuses on female protagonists. This Alien Shore and Feast of Souls both follow women as their main characters, and to an extent so does In Conquest Born and its sequel The Wilding.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

escape artist posted:

Does anyone know of any good short stories or novels that have ghost/horror/supernatural themes? I'm not big on King, but I've read his work. I enjoyed his son's short story collection, though. I want something interesting and unsettling.

Dan Simmons has written a ton of mostly good horror (Carrion Comfort, Song of Kali, Fires of Eden, Drood, The Terror, etc.)

If you haven't read it - join the BOTM and snag Something Wicked This Way Comes. Great book and very creepy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

escape artist posted:

Poe's Children is a great anthology. Check out Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year volumes (three so far).

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
Can anyone recommend a good short story collection preferably by a famous author as most English language books are hard to find out here. I'm just now finishing a collection of Hemingway.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Private Snowball posted:

Can anyone recommend a good short story collection preferably by a famous author as most English language books are hard to find out here. I'm just now finishing a collection of Hemingway.
My favorite short story collection is and probably always will be Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies. She is fairly well known but not as popular as Hemingway or any of the other huge names, so I don't know how easy it would be to find, but it's a Pulitzer Prize winner so hopefully it won't be too hard to track down wherever you are.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

damage path posted:

Lot 49 is my favorite Pynchon as well. Based on that list, I'd follow it with V., Gravity's (with a guide for the allusions and references and stuff - Pynchon's RICH with that stuff) and then Vineland and Mason and Dixon. "Against the Day" is my second-favorite, but you kind of have to do it after all of the aforementioned. I couldn't get through "Inherent Vice," which is saying something.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Private Snowball posted:

Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Private Snowball posted:

Scott Fitzgerald's short stories are also pretty great if you would like to spend some more time with the lost generation, so long as you don't mind a little fetishizing of the rich.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Private Snowball posted:

Rudyard Kipling's Plain Tales from the Hills. They're his first published works -- he wrote them for a newspaper in India -- and they're basically slice of life stories from British Imperial India. They're all amazing; some are amazingly imperialist, some are amazingly anti-imperialist (esp. considering they're written by Kipling); all of them are excellently written. Plus, out of copyright, so free as ebook.

Second recommendation is going to be James Joyce's Dubliners.

Third recommendation is going to be Faulkner's Go Down, Moses. It's nominally a collection of short stories but the stories all interlink with each other, so it's sortof a novel, too.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 22, 2016

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Private Snowball posted:

You can't go wrong with anything by Raymond Carver or John Cheever. I've been diggin' 40 Stories by Donald Barthelme and Andre Dubus' Selected Stories lately, too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

barkingclam posted:

You can't go wrong with anything by Raymond Carver

F'real, if you liked that Hemingway collecction, you'll like Carver.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
To add to the short story collection love, any of Alice Munro's books would be a good pick. She's absolutely wonderful and does whate'r the gently caress she wants.

Catpetter
Dec 12, 2004

Tell your god to ready for blood
Soiled Meat
Hey, suggest me something like Asimov's Foundation series. I liked how big and expansive it was and then also the little interludes of galactic history and whatnot.

On the flip side, is there there anything more ... space trader/pioneer-ish? Maybe like parts of Heinlein's Time Enough for Love without all the time travel, creepy mother, clone-daughter three way incest, and objectivism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tin-Horn Indian posted:

Hey, suggest me something like Asimov's Foundation series. I liked how big and expansive it was and then also the little interludes of galactic history and whatnot.

Been a while since I read it, but maybe the Lensman series by EE Doc Smith.

quote:

On the flip side, is there there anything more ... space trader/pioneer-ish? Maybe like parts of Heinlein's Time Enough for Love without all the time travel, creepy mother, clone-daughter three way incest, and objectivism.

John Scalzi's rewrite of Fuzzy Nation.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tin-Horn Indian posted:

Pournelle's CoDominium series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoDominium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Private Snowball posted:

Anything by Anton Chekhov. He is extraordinary. You can find it online for free at Project Gutenberg and other places I believe, as well.