Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Question about discounts and all that. If the iPhone is going to be $199 for the 16gb version, what would my sister, who has a $75 discount right now ($150 in April, but she's not willing to wait until then) pay? I'm always confused by retail plus discount = actual price, or is it somehow lower, or what?

e: lol never mind. I guess her $75 discount went away, so she's stuck either paying full retail or just waiting until April?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

bobula posted:

Question about discounts and all that. If the iPhone is going to be $199 for the 16gb version, what would my sister, who has a $75 discount right now ($150 in April, but she's not willing to wait until then) pay? I'm always confused by retail plus discount = actual price, or is it somehow lower, or what?

Probably something like $600 now or $199 in April. The $75 discount is garbage. No real numbers have been announced by sprint yet.

e: well, then, nm

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Has the 3D sales really been that bad?

Depends, for me people first bought the EVO because that was cheaper and good enough, and now it has solid competition between the photon and epic touch. They still sell, but certainly not as well as the EVO.

bobula posted:

e: lol never mind. I guess her $75 discount went away, so she's stuck either paying full retail or just waiting until April?

One year upgrades have indeed gone away, so outright buy is her only option. She should buy an EVO for $200 off Craigslist and use that till April.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I was using my Evo 4G this morning just reading the web. All of the sudden the phone displays that white '4G' splash screen that shows up when you turn on the phone. When it goes back to my lock screen and I unlock the phone, everything is reset. It's the factory background. It cleared out my beautiful widgets, launcher pro, battery display app, everything (they're still apparently installed on the phone). I had it on one desktop and it set it back to 7. There were no icons in the tray at the top of the phone when this happened to indicate something was going on.

What the hell happened?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
The only thing about the iPhone 4S I care about is Siri, which looks like a nice step up from Android's voice integration. I'd like to see some of that incorporated into Android soon.

That said, even if the phone offered unlimited free blowjobs it wouldn't be enough to get me to switch to a 3.5" inch screen.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

brc64 posted:

That said, even if the phone offered unlimited free blowjobs it wouldn't be enough to get me to switch to a 3.5" inch screen.

Agreed, I tried going back to a smaller screen with the evo shift earlier this year ...and I just couldn't stand it. I definitely didn't realize how much I missed a 4.3" screen until it was gone (and of course it didn't help that HTC totally screwed up the phone with the gingerbread update either).

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

tomguycot posted:

Agreed, I tried going back to a smaller screen with the evo shift earlier this year ...and I just couldn't stand it. I definitely didn't realize how much I missed a 4.3" screen until it was gone (and of course it didn't help that HTC totally screwed up the phone with the gingerbread update either).

Seriously, going from a 4 to a 3 feels like going back in time. Especially when 4.3 inch phones really aren't that much larger than the iphone (at least in terms of length.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

The only thing about the iPhone 4S I care about is Siri, which looks like a nice step up from Android's voice integration. I'd like to see some of that incorporated into Android soon.

Just got news that commission at my company is the same whether selling android or iPhone. So angry sprint employees are no longer a factor on iPhone sales.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
FYI

http://allthingsd.com/20111005/exclusive-sprint-confirms-it-will-offer-unlimited-pricing-for-iphone/?mod=googlenews

quote:

Sprint will indeed offer unlimited data plans when it starts taking iPhone orders later this week, AllThingsD has confirmed.
“We will be offering the benefit of our unlimited plans that start at just $69.99,” said spokeswoman Michelle Leff Mermelstein. Sprint’s $69.99 plan includes unlimited data and 450 voice minutes as well as unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling. Unlimited calling and data costs $99 a month.
Sprint is counting on unlimited pricing to help it stand out from AT&T and Verizon — which will also carry the very same iPhone 4S. Sprint and Verizon will also have the iPhone 4, while only AT&T will have the older iPhone 3GS to offer for free with a new contract.
Both AT&T and Verizon offered unlimited data plans for the iPhone in the past, but have since shifted to tiered pricing for new customers.
As for whether Sprint will be able to handle all of that traffic, Mermelstein said. “We have every confidence in the ability of our 3G network to handle the influx of devices we expect to get. It certainly hasn’t been an issue to date.”
Although a mention of the iPhone still has yet to appear on Sprint’s home page, the carrier is indeed very excited about the ability to finally offer Apple’s smartphone. The company appears to be just making sure all of its proverbial ducks are in a row before shifting into iPhone overdrive.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Looks like they'll be carrying the old iPhone 4 for $99. I assume that's with a contract extension. Wonder how long I'll have to wait to get it for that price without an extension? That'll be a good little goal for me to set for myself, let's see if the TP1 lasts that long.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I don't think the iPhone4 will ever work on Sprint.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Entire Universe posted:

(yes, even the SGSIIE4GT - how's your GPS and signal strength by the way)
Pretty good, thanks for asking :)

Mark Larson posted:

Sprint's supposed to be getting the iPhone 4 and 4S from everything I've read so far.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I lost my old Touch Pro 2, I heard a long time ago that a few people added total protection after the fact and were able to get replacements. Any luck to this still? I know I'm grasping for straws on this one, but buying a replacement wasn't exactly in my budget this month.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

datajosh posted:

Sprint's supposed to be getting the iPhone 4 and 4S from everything I've read so far.

Yep, the iPhone 4 will be available for $99 on Sprint. Don't know if it's going to be available the same date as the 4S, though - I don't think so.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

No. 9 posted:

I lost my old Touch Pro 2, I heard a long time ago that a few people added total protection after the fact and were able to get replacements. Any luck to this still? I know I'm grasping for straws on this one, but buying a replacement wasn't exactly in my budget this month.

If you lost it, you'll still have to pay the deductible with TEP. Are you on SERO?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mark Larson posted:

If you lost it, you'll still have to pay the deductible with TEP. Are you on SERO?

Yeah the old SERO 500, I can't see where to add TEP on the services page. I knew I saw people doing this months (maybe even a year or so) ago, though. Just can't really find the old posts (here, Slickdeals, XDA, and PPCGeeks all had knowledge of it).

If for some reason I can't do this, I made a thread to buy a used one in case anyone is looking to get rid of their phone: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441578

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 5, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Mark Larson posted:

Why not? Verizon's version would 100% work as long as it's programmed to.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Blakkout posted:

Looks like they'll be carrying the old iPhone 4 for $99. I assume that's with a contract extension. Wonder how long I'll have to wait to get it for that price without an extension? That'll be a good little goal for me to set for myself, let's see if the TP1 lasts that long.

The iPhone 3G looks to be going for over $100 on eBay, so three years?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

No. 9 posted:

Yeah the old SERO 500, I can't see where to add TEP on the services page. I knew I saw people doing this months (maybe even a year or so) ago, though. Just can't really find the old posts (here, Slickdeals, XDA, and PPCGeeks all had knowledge of it).

If for some reason I can't do this, I made a thread to buy a used one in case anyone is looking to get rid of their phone: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441578
You can't add TEP. That can only be done during the first 30 days that you have the phone on the account (or something like that). Also it was do-able during all of September because they were having a TEP promotion.

This is done specifically to prevent people from simply signing up for insurance after they have an incident.

Bicho6
Jul 15, 2003

You dont feel that, like your head is burning or something
Will the Nexus S from Tmobile work on the spring network?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Bicho6 posted:

No (assuming the obvious that you mean Sprint)

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Bicho6 posted:

Sprint? No.

Bicho6
Jul 15, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

what does that mean? I'm getting the phone for me wife, you saying when I turn it on it just wont work on the sprint network?

Bicho6
Jul 15, 2003

holy poo poo... NBC news just broke for the steve jobs news...

man its sad that he died.. but really? its breaking news?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Bicho6 posted:

Well, yeah. He was one of the few people who we can point to and say was a founding father of the computer age and technology icon across the world. But that's for another thread :gb2gbs:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bicho6 posted:

I am not a Apple fan, but the guy was a major influence on society. So yes it is breaking news.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Well, it broke about an hour ago, but yeah. I wanna watch the news, but they keep looping footage from product launches of the last 2 years.

Funny thing, when I was Googling it earlier, Gizmodo had an article (now corrected) that stated his death as happening 9/9 based on a tweet. Odd.

Bicho6
Jul 15, 2003

Alman posted:

Well, yeah. He was one of the few people who we can point to and say was a founding father of the computer age and technology icon across the world. But that's for another thread :gb2gbs:

definetly for GBS.. just wanted to point out there many people die who have had a larger impact on the world and history than job... and that news doesn't break the prime time sitcoms

not to completely hijack this thread... i'm making the jump from Tmobile to sprint this weekend... with my 25% off discount my bill will jump from 150 a month to 117 a month ... no brainer... i wanted to bring my nexus s over but i guess it wont work on sprint.. oh well

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Kynetx posted:

Well, it broke about an hour ago, but yeah. I wanna watch the news, but they keep looping footage from product launches of the last 2 years.

Funny thing, when I was Googling it earlier, Gizmodo had an article (now corrected) that stated his death as happening 9/9 based on a tweet. Odd.

Take it to the GBS thread.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Why not? Verizon's version would 100% work as long as it's programmed to.

Well for one Sprint won't activate a Verizon iPhone on their network.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

big mean giraffe posted:

Well for one Sprint won't activate a Verizon iPhone on their network.

Sure...not before. But now they have an agreement with Apple to actually sell the device.

What if you buy it at an Apple Store?

You mean to tell me that Apple is maintaining 3 separate inventories for each carrier...? I don't buy that. Apple likes to make things ONE way (their way) and everyone else adheres to that.

MAYBE the Apple Stores have to "pre-program" the phone or something based on whatever network you tell them you are purchasing the phone for (and they then report the device ID to the carrier)...but even that sounds like a stretch to me.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if the iPhone 4S (and maybe the iPhone 4...does it have the updated radio chipset now too?) is the first phone you can carry around from carrier to carrier in the US.

Either way, I'd love to know the answer to this. I actually find it quite interesting.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Like most global CDMA phones it probably only supports GSM quad-band EDGE, and each CDMA phone has a unique ID, and no Sprint/Verizon won't ever activate each other's phones. While I'd love phones you could use on any carrier in the US easily, it won't happen any time soon.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I recognize that Sprint/Verizon will only activate Unique ID's that are "in their system"...but I still don't believe that Apple will maintain separate inventories for Sprint/Verizon.

If you purchase the device from an Apple Store, they must either report the ID to Sprint/Verizon, or you can just call up Sprint/Verizon and say "hey. I just bought this here iPhone. Activate it please."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So if they have the same phones, what's the difference between Verizon and Sprint? Is it just going to end up being a question of who has better service in my area for a better price? Or is there anything else I need to check?

I like the idea of unlimited data, especially since I enjoy using my phone as a hotspot and I figure it won't be too hard to do that with the Nexus Prime.

Basically I've been with T-Mobile and my G1 since it came out, and now that my new wife and myself are both off contract we're looking forward towards getting something really nice.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
You can select an iphone 4 from the device list on the website when you shop new plans..

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
sprint.com has been updated with the iPhone stuff - you can preorder the iPhone 4 now, and the iPhone 4S on the 7th

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

I recognize that Sprint/Verizon will only activate Unique ID's that are "in their system"...but I still don't believe that Apple will maintain separate inventories for Sprint/Verizon.

If you purchase the device from an Apple Store, they must either report the ID to Sprint/Verizon, or you can just call up Sprint/Verizon and say "hey. I just bought this here iPhone. Activate it please."

Apple will have seperate inventorys for sprint and Verizon iphones. They work on the same bands, but it isn't as easy as "just add to whatever network" like gsm. Cdma needs to be programmed. For instance, throwing a Verizon iPhone on a cricket isn't enough, you have to program the thing correctly.

I'm sure it could be fixed, but I really doubt it would be. And given that apple has always been notorious for locking down gsm iphones, I don't see why people are suddenly thinking they will start releasing unlocked phones. This is Apple.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So if they have the same phones, what's the difference between Verizon and Sprint? Is it just going to end up being a question of who has better service in my area for a better price? Or is there anything else I need to check?

I like the idea of unlimited data, especially since I enjoy using my phone as a hotspot and I figure it won't be too hard to do that with the Nexus Prime.

Basically I've been with T-Mobile and my G1 since it came out, and now that my new wife and myself are both off contract we're looking forward towards getting something really nice.

Different coverage, plans, rates, policies, customer service, etc. To an extent different phones. In sprints case, more affordable and "all inclusive" plans, with decent coverage with roaming filling in spots where needed.

Personally, anyone considering going to or leaving sprint should wait until October 7th to make a decision.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 6, 2011

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

It would not surprise me in the least if the new Iphones for Verizon/Sprint lack a SIM slot...

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Alright I've got a question that has probably been answered before.

I'm not due for upgrade but another line on my plan is due for one. Is it possible for me use that upgrade credit, thus extending that contract, and activate the phone for myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It would not surprise me in the least if the new Iphones for Verizon/Sprint lack a SIM slot...

CDMA networks don't use SIM cards, so that would be quite reasonable. I don't believe the Verizon iPhone 4 had a SIM slot.

So pumped to have a phone that isn't my Pre. That thing is poop.