Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Toadsniff posted:

While you may have been able to do this with Helicoptors (I didnt), it also worked on the 747 Jets flying around, I distinctly remember having to click at least 15 to 20 times. I'm going to buy the game again and record that poo poo just to prove I'm not crazy.

You're misremembering. You could click disasters > plane crash, but no amount of clicking on the planes themselves would do anything to them. Unless they crashed into a building on takeoff/descent, but it didn't matter if you were clicking or not.

If you post a video and it can be replicated by other people, I will buy you a (non-Witcher 2) GOG.com game of your choice. :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Someone asked this a few pages back but I don't think it was answered: is the GOG version of SimCity 2000 the Windows version or does it run in DosBox?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Someone asked this a few pages back but I don't think it was answered: is the GOG version of SimCity 2000 the Windows version or does it run in DosBox?

Looks like it's the DOS version.

Though none of them can remember a difference between the two.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ToxicFrog posted:

Disclaimer: I've never played BG2, because my experience with BG1 was so awful. Most of what I've heard about it is 'like BG1, except better', and to my mind, 'like <terrible thing> except better' isn't exactly glowing praise.

I also don't really enjoy the D&D ruleset in and of itself, so games I do like that use it, I tend to like in spite of it rather than because of it - they have to have an interesting setting, or plot, or characters that can get me to force myself through the combat. This is also why I've never played Icewind Dale or ToEE; by all accounts those are basically pure combat simulators for people who like D&D 2e/3e combat and want more of it.

So if you're approaching this from a direction of "I am an experienced D&Der and want a game with some nice, meaty, challenging D&D combat", I can see how you might like Baldur's Gate.

The issue I had with BG1 is that if you deviate from the course the designers intended even slightly - or even if you follow it, in some cases - you'll get attacked by something so overwhelmingly powerful that you have, at most, 1-2 rounds to escape before your entire party is dead. My favorites were probably the mixed groups of archers and mages roaming around five minutes from loving Candlekeep that can paste you from off-screen before you can even react.

This opinion was dramatically reinforced last time this came up in conversation, when one of BG's proponents said something like "BG1 isn't even a particularly challenging game, you just have to-" and followed with a page of recommended actions to start the game with, half of which assume an encyclopedic knowledge of AD&D and the other half of which you'd never even think of trying without a walkthrough.

When even the game's fans like it because it's a brutally difficult and unfair game and they enjoy breaking it as hard as they can despite its best efforts, I don't think characterizing it as "a game full of bullshit instadeaths" is unfair.

On top of that, it feels like if you like D&D combat for what it is, IWD/ToEE are better choices, and if you're after good story and characterization, PS:T blows BG out of the water, so I'm left unclear as to what BG's niche actually is outside of the aforementioned "this is an openly unfair game, I will enjoy humbling it" crowd.

BG2 is pretty easy comparatively, you start at a higher level and don't have survivability problems like you do in BG1. It is also much more fun than IWD and PST although those are good games too. If you hated BG1 you probably wouldn't like BG2 but trying to say it's worse than the other D&D games of its era is dumb. There's a reason people loving love it and it's not because it's a masochistic game to play.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

ToxicFrog posted:

Baldur's Gate

I remember going into this game with a pretty big interest in RPGs and a mild interest in D&D (never played a table-top game). I read the (in those days) gigantic manual to make sense of the game, but it was worth it. From what I can remember, my main character was a Fighter, and the first few hours of the game went swimmingly. I stayed on the road from the starting zone to the next zone to the northeast (don't remember names...I played this around 7-8 years ago) and after that, heading south, I started to explore a bit and don't remember getting into any overwhelming fights. The thing that surprised me the first time was a bit into the game where you first encounter a Sword Spider and I didn't know how to deal with it's speed, but after going through my spells, I figured it out.

Maybe you were just unlucky?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
When I first played BG I didn't really know what I was doing as I had barely any experience with RPGs, D&D was a foreign concept (it still is), and my starting character was a mage (which is really stupid as level 1 mages are pissweak). I got through the game okay. I mainly stuck to the road at the beginning as the game warns you of all the dangers out there. I remember there was a certain Hobgoblin that was a bastard. It's one of my all time favourite games. I later replayed it solo.

Charles Martel posted:

The thing that surprised me the first time was a bit into the game where you first encounter a Sword Spider and I didn't know how to deal with it's speed, but after going through my spells, I figured it out.

Oh god this bit. My party kept getting raped by it cos of how fast it is.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ToxicFrog posted:

Disclaimer: I've never played BG2, because my experience with BG1 was so awful. Most of what I've heard about it is 'like BG1, except better', and to my mind, 'like <terrible thing> except better' isn't exactly glowing praise.

Aside from the basic idea (AD&D 2.5, party of people with a PC and NPCs you collect, central quest with optional sidequests) they are significantly different games to the extent that I would personally not even group them up when doing a summary like you were doing.

BG2 is more quest focused than exploration focused, you start at a higher level so you're dramatically more sturdy there's a lot more (ie any) inter-party banter and by and large it's just much more of a "modern" RPG.

It's a much easier game to get into all round.

quote:

The issue I had with BG1 is that if you deviate from the course the designers intended even slightly - or even if you follow it, in some cases - you'll get attacked by something so overwhelmingly powerful that you have, at most, 1-2 rounds to escape before your entire party is dead. My favorites were probably the mixed groups of archers and mages roaming around five minutes from loving Candlekeep that can paste you from off-screen before you can even react.

Not sure what you're talking about there, the only mages on the first couple of maps outside Candlekeep are friendly.

There is a big advantage in both games to knowing the system, but that's true for pretty much any similar RPG.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Personally I love Fallout, hate both Baldur's Gates and love Neverwinter Nights.

It seems like a strange thing, especially since NWN's story is poo poo, but I just like the gameplay in it so much more. Except the whole being limited to 36 quickslots which is murder for a wizard/sorcerer in multiplayer, especially when metamagic enters the equation.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Andrigaar posted:

Looks like it's the DOS version.

Though none of them can remember a difference between the two.

Well I can name a goodly number of differences between the DOS and Windows original releases, but I had no idea the DOS version also existed as a Special Edition with the SCURK, et al.
Off the top of my head though, the animations were a lot better in the Windows release (in DOS, next to nonexistent), the interface was a bit cleaner, and the Windows version had an annoying bug where after playing for maybe a half-hour, the game would have a tendency to just randomly kill your sound card until you restarted Windows.

FWIW, I'd been getting my fix by playing an old copy of the Windows SE release in Win 3.1, emulated via DOSbox (sound glitches and all). It can do that. Unfortunately the Win 3.1 installer/assets/whatever are still very much copyrighted, and I don't think there's any way to configure it to launch and shut down automatically with a game akin to vanilla DOSbox usage so there wouldn't really be any way for GOG to handle packaging of the Windows release gracefully. If you wanted to try running it on modern systems it would pitch a snit unless you ran it in 256 colours, as well as having completely unsuited midi drivers for its music.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I hated this guy's guts. What a pompous, self-important government rear end in a top hat. I think if I saw the actor on the street, I would punch him.

Mr Right posted:

I would be worried if IRA murderer Gerry Adams was telling me I'd regret it.

How can nobody here know who that is? :psyduck: (Mr Right, your name in particular I find ironic in this regard.)

Ringing a bell yet?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Will Wright can threaten me all he wants for removing funding on roads. If the roads are flooded, we have a little more to worry about besides mass transit, Will. Goddammit, Godzilla is wading through our police stations... Wait, is that Bowser?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Space Rangers is 60% off (or $3.99) for today only.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Ringing a bell yet?
You forgot one.

I know it's not exactly him, but they share the last name and do the same thing being the mayor's adviser. :colbert:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 5, 2011

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, the SNES version of Sim City is so underrated. I think it's easily the best version of the original, despite the controls.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Man, the SNES version of Sim City is so underrated. I think it's easily the best version of the original, despite the controls.

The best part is that it is compatible with the SNES mouse if you bought Mario Paint.

Shame the SNES Mouse is pretty crap. And came with a stone-slab of a mousepad.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
BG's niche is that it came out of god drat nowhere at a time when fantasy RPGs were scarce, and all of us who grew up on the terrible gold box D&D games worshiped it like some returning God. At a time of RPG desolation, Baldur's Gate was simply awesome.

But yes, all your complaints are totally valid. I've heard the new edition improves things, but D&D always had a heavy save-or-die mechanic that makes for lovely computer games. Critical hits will insta-gib you if you're first to fourth level. Magic is just as bad - at first level it's the sleep spell, at second level it's hold person, at third it's web etc... There were too many ways for bad luck to basically insta-kill your party and Baldur's Gate was particularly cruel in that a main character wipe was a forced reload.

Now if you're a D&D nut you know how to deal with and avoid each and every one of those spells but I can only imagine the experience would be torture for everyone else.

Baldur's Gate II kept that up - liches and beholders are cool in theory but a drag in actual combat. The confusion spell was just awful. Cleverly, the combat-focused Icewind Dale series was actually the least offensive - the designers realized that losing control of your party for two minutes straight was boring and jettisoned 90% of the crap that made 2nd edition D&D awful.

So no, you aren't crazy. Baldur's Gate was great for its time but game design has progressed a lot since then.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, besides SimTower, that game is my favorite in the Sim series. I tried to play SimCity Classic on the PC and it just didn't feel the same. It was one of the very first SNES games I ever played, and I always prided myself on getting one of my custom cities to Capital level. Once.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Now if you're a D&D nut you know how to deal with and avoid each and every one of those spells but I can only imagine the experience would be torture for everyone else.

Baldur's Gate II kept that up - liches and beholders are cool in theory but a drag in actual combat. The confusion spell was just awful. Cleverly, the combat-focused Icewind Dale series was actually the least offensive - the designers realized that losing control of your party for two minutes straight was boring and jettisoned 90% of the crap that made 2nd edition D&D awful.

So no, you aren't crazy. Baldur's Gate was great for its time but game design has progressed a lot since then.

I think Icewind Dale would have worked better as a multiplayer turn-based game (the auto-pause doesn't count) in vein of how Temple of Elemental Evil worked. If it worked this way, I'd still play them with my friends. I think.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Are Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 able to be played stably on Windows 7 64-bit? I'm dying to play them again but I've heard that at least 2 is pretty unstable.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Cowman posted:

Are Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 able to be played stably on Windows 7 64-bit? I'm dying to play them again but I've heard that at least 2 is pretty unstable.
As long as you don't mind seeing some pixels (see the screenshots on the store page), the sequel is pretty solid. Things start going wrong both performance- and reliability-wise once you start enabling 3D acceleration options.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Own BG1 and 2 on disc... with all the ludicrous disc-swapping that poo poo entailed...

I love the games, I love that style of game... I cannot loving get anywhere in either of them. I guess I need a bit more linearity in that style of game, because in 2, after you escape the tutorial dungeon, I immediately fall off a cliff and have no idea where to go or what to do. I tool around in the irritatingly-big town for awhile, can't cast spells anywhere (so why the poo poo make a caster?), and can't seem to find much of a plot anywhere. Anything I fight ends up murdering me because RNG games hate my guts.

Gonna blame the customization. Gimme enough customizing options, I'll play just about anything a few times. I love watching people who don't suck play those types of games, I've just never been able to get anywhere. Which sucks, because I totally love them to death. Being a thief in those games is fun as hell. I just remember going through 1 with a trainer and even with potions of invincibility or whatever they were, basilisks were pretty much constantly a game-ender. Not sure I ever got far enough for beholders to pop up, but I'd imagine those were equally hideous.

Never played the Icewind Dale games. Those more or less forgiving combat-wise? Meandering about I'm fine with - I'll find a mission or quest sooner or later. But it means nothing if I die within ten seconds of entering a dungeon. :(

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

Never played the Icewind Dale games. Those more or less forgiving combat-wise? Meandering about I'm fine with - I'll find a mission or quest sooner or later. But it means nothing if I die within ten seconds of entering a dungeon. :(

They're different. BG was built to be iconic D&D first and balanced second. IWD was made to be linear, balanced and moderately tactical. I enjoyed both of them because I played D&D when I was younger, but the IWD series is the only one I enjoy replaying. IWD also does a good job allowing you to get to 2nd-3rd level quickly so that you spend less time dying simply because an archer got lucky.

The IWD guys also placed monsters while thinking, "What would be interesting for a third level party to face?" The BG guys placed monsters while thinking, "You know what's cool? Liches. Lets have one pop out when the player presses this button."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cowman posted:

DK1 works alright and KeeperFX works great.

DK2 I have yet to get working but I haven't tried the GOG version yet.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ChibiSoma posted:

IWD1 is my favourite of the bunch (never played 2).

The combat, as mentioned, is very deliberate and well-planned. But what pleasantly surprised me is that you might occasionally come across a seemingly unwinnable situation, or you may have entered the dungeon with out a necessary item.

The game is very good about leaving that stuff SOMEWHERE nearby, so if you just search a bit more or try a different corridor first, you'll find what you need and don't have to grind or return all the way to town.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Is anyone else having trouble with Space Rangers? I bought it, downloaded it, but the opening video stays at the first frame while the sound plays. I hit escape, and the Cosega logo (sp?) shows up fine, but then the first frame of the opening video is all I see instead of the menu screen, so I can't do anything.

I've got Win7 64bit, it's in WinXP compatibility mode and run as admin. Not sure what else to do :ohdear:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In a fit of nostalgia, I went to YouTube to find some video of SimCity 2000 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTP-LT-Rj2c&t=336s

Please tell me that the music in the GOG version doesn't sound that lovely. It's enough to put me off ever buying the game on GOG. (I played this to Windows '95's plinky plink plonky plonk MIDI soundtrack.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I could never get into Baldur's Gate 1/2 nor Planescape Torment despite owning both, but I love the Icewind Dale series to death. As much as people raved about the story in the former games, most days I just wanted to go out there with a party of my own choosing and smash some Goblins.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Hakkesshu posted:

Also the best intro of almost any game, perfectly judged style.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

doctorfrog posted:

In a fit of nostalgia, I went to YouTube to find some video of SimCity 2000 in action:

Please tell me that the music in the GOG version doesn't sound that lovely. It's enough to put me off ever buying the game on GOG. (I played this to Windows '95's plinky plink plonky plonk MIDI soundtrack.)

It's not as great as I remember, but it's definitely not that bad.

I'm still waiting for a Civ 2 release w/ soundtrack.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New MMX-powered release time: POD Gold for $6.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Holy gently caress, POD. I got a CD of that with my very first Windows 95 PC.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
For anyone who has got SC2K: Is the version on GOG the one that has the Archologies launching into space when you hit a certain limit?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hank Morgan posted:

For anyone who has got SC2K: Is the version on GOG the one that has the Archologies launching into space when you hit a certain limit?

I believe all the PC versions do that.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

macnbc posted:

I believe all the PC versions do that.

The original DOS (and Mac, I'm pretty sure) version 1.0 games don't. The "launching" was added in version 1.1 and the Windows Collector's CD (and likely all subsequent versions).

doctorfrog posted:

Actually, don't listen to thepopstalinist - it sounds exactly like this video. :smith: Absolutely not the Windows version I remember so fondly. The files themselves are different too - a bunch of .DLL files instead of raw .WAVs and .MIDs like the Windows version.

What a bummer. Definitely not recommending this at all.

uncle wrinkles fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 6, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You can change the midi device in DOSbox...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

The original DOS (and Mac, I'm pretty sure) version 1.0 games don't. The "launching" was added in version 1.1 and the Windows Collector's CD (and likely all subsequent versions).

Actually, don't listen to thepopstalinist - it sounds exactly like this video. :smith: Absolutely not the Windows version I remember so fondly. The files themselves are different too - a bunch of .DLL files instead of raw .WAVs and .MIDs like the Windows version.

What a bummer. Definitely not recommending this at all.

Can you give the MIDI device change that grinder there suggests and see if you can get better results? I'm with you, the game isn't worth playing if it doesn't sound right.

I tried downloading and running the SC2K demo for DOS, and it works, but has no sound. It's a little weird playing it in DOS, since it plays like the Mac version of the game with the pull-down menus and hold-clicking, and the low resolution feels a bit like a straightjacket, but it looks pretty good at normal2x.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Can you give the MIDI device change that grinder there suggests and see if you can get better results? I'm with you, the game isn't worth playing if it doesn't sound right.
I've tried all the various options in DOSBox, and run the INSTALL.EXE program more times than I care to count. They boil down to either "no music" or "cheesy full-volume karoke recreations".

As far as I can tell, the problem may actually be that the default Microsoft GW Wavetable Synth for .midi just isn't very good at all.

It may be possible to set up a SoundFont and get things working that way - that's what I'm currently plunking around on, but it's brand new territory and slow goings so far.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
They need to put G-Nome on this poo poo. I would buy that in a second just to see what the hell I was up to when I was 7.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They need to put G-Nome on this poo poo. I would buy that in a second just to see what the hell I was up to when I was 7.

What universe was that game set in? I think I remember a lovely RTS called Dominion or something like that using the same stuff as unit designs.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

They should stick some of the old Sierra DOS titles like Silpheed and Thexder on GOG. I don't know if they count as abandonware at this point but if they can put them there as free releases like Tyrian I'd be happy. :3:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

I've tried all the various options in DOSBox, and run the INSTALL.EXE program more times than I care to count. They boil down to either "no music" or "cheesy full-volume karoke recreations".

As far as I can tell, the problem may actually be that the default Microsoft GW Wavetable Synth for .midi just isn't very good at all.

It may be possible to set up a SoundFont and get things working that way - that's what I'm currently plunking around on, but it's brand new territory and slow goings so far.

That's a drat shame. Among the SimCity titles, SC2K is the most charming, and the music has something to do with this. Personally speaking, I'll just keep my memories and not buy the game (unless it goes for super cheaps).

I don't know how likely SimCity 4 is going to be on GOG, since it is still the most recent SimCity title of any worth. However, I think we can bet that SimCity 3000 Unlimited will eventually arrive.

SimCity 3000 gets a bum rap amongst fans, but it did improve upon the formula in almost every single way. But it lacks charm. The graphics have that mid-to-late-nineties feel to them where everyone was trying to push photorealism and 3D even in games that used sprites, and all the art assets look like they were exported from 3D modeling software with only a little consideration as to how they'd look close up. Even back then, it had a fuzzy, indistinct look. It also lacks some of the playful appeal of 2000, but makes up for it by being a bit more serious... you'll have to decide whether that's a good thing or not.

On the plus side, SC3K retains a very good soundtrack, really does improve on the 2000 version, and it plays great in Windows 7 64-bit. The hard copy version of the game also came with a stellar manual, with wire binding so it would lay flat open. Good god I might be outing myself as being old as gently caress but I miss giant printed manuals.

Resolution support is a bit limited, though, as it tops out at 1280x1024 and only supports 4:3 aspect ratios. With a widescreen monitor you'll have to force it to be windowed (and play it at 16-bit color), or suffer the stretching at fullscreen.

So that's my pre-GOG-release SC3K review. If SC4 ever comes to GOG, all bets are off. I haven't played it myself, but it seems to be the crowning achievement of the franchise, but with a labyrinthine community mod selection.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

What universe was that game set in? I think I remember a lovely RTS called Dominion or something like that using the same stuff as unit designs.

Yes, Domion: Storm over Gift 3 is the sequel to G-NOME. Unfortunately I can't find anything else about it other than the fact it exists.

And I would LOVE to play G-NOME again. Despite it being mostly walking from point to point. Who owns the rights to 7th level's games anyway?