Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Oh durr, didn't even think of using the HDMI as a second output to a monitor. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: We interrupt this program for a special Apple broadcast. :siren:

I think I'll leave the Mac threads open though, since the only news pertaining to them should be 10.7.2 and iCloud.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It has an HDMI output and Thunderbolt output, so you can do at least two.

You should theoretically be able to chain two Thunderbolt displays together, too, can't you?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mediaphage posted:

You should theoretically be able to chain two Thunderbolt displays together, too, can't you?

MacRumors says:

Mac mini (Mid 2011): Two Thunderbolt displays. Mac mini with AMD graphics can support a HDMI compatible device on its HDMI port when using two Thunderbolt displays.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

Apple TV is finally landing in European countries today. But it's probably going to get updated soon anyway right?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
My 11" Air arrived today. I am air dropping stuff from my iMac to my new shiny laptop, grinning like an idiot. Such a beautiful computer.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AirDrop is surprisingly awesome, and a great demo for potential switchers.

"Look: not on the same network, didn't have to configure any permissions or sharing settings, and I can just drop file to this computer when it's in range."

:monocle:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

"Look: not on the same network, didn't have to configure any permissions or sharing settings, and I can just drop file to this computer when it's in range."

Got two people to jump on the MBA just via this, it owns so hard. Who'd have thought people want a simple way to move poo poo from Point A to Point B...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lilleput posted:

Apple TV is finally landing in European countries today. But it's probably going to get updated soon anyway right?

I do hope they put the A5 processor in it, like what's in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

You Am I posted:

I do hope they put the A5 processor in it, like what's in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.

You should capitalize the S in 4S, otherwise you're just pluralizing the iPhone 4.

I was going to respond and tell you that iPhone 4s don't have an A5 until I realized what you did. Heh.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Lilleput posted:

I was waiting to see if they were updated today but guess not. Was kind of hoping they threw the A5 in there at this event. I'll wait it out a bit more I guess.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Woop, 500GB Momentus XT hard drive and 4 gigs of ram show up so that I can upgrade my basically free 2008 macbook's 160 gig 5400rpm drive and 2 gigs of ram, and what do happens?

First, the screw holding the hard drive in snaps my (admittedly cheap) screwdriver, so I move to the next size up I have.

Which stripped the screw almost instantly. I really have poo poo luck replacing laptop hard drives (and I need better screwdrivers).

Thankfully the screw was big enough that my extractor was able to pull it out, but I've just got the hard drive taped in there pretty well for now. Anyone know if there's a good way to get a replacement screw, or should I just tough it out until I head to the Chicago area in December and hope I have time to stop by an apple store (Middle of South Dakota here, there isn't a genus bar for a loooong ways).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr. Despair posted:

Woop, 500GB Momentus XT hard drive and 4 gigs of ram show up so that I can upgrade my basically free 2008 macbook's 160 gig 5400rpm drive and 2 gigs of ram, and what do happens?

First, the screw holding the hard drive in snaps my (admittedly cheap) screwdriver, so I move to the next size up I have.

Which stripped the screw almost instantly. I really have poo poo luck replacing laptop hard drives (and I need better screwdrivers).

Thankfully the screw was big enough that my extractor was able to pull it out, but I've just got the hard drive taped in there pretty well for now. Anyone know if there's a good way to get a replacement screw, or should I just tough it out until I head to the Chicago area in December and hope I have time to stop by an apple store (Middle of South Dakota here, there isn't a genus bar for a loooong ways).

They aren't magic screws. Just find another one that fits.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

iFixit may have listed the screw-size for you (probably some standard metric screw), just pick up the equivalent at your hardware store. If not, I think there may be Apple service manuals floating around, but that's entirely up to you...

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Am I completely wrong in thinking you DO need to be on the same network for AirDrop?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

angor posted:

Am I completely wrong in thinking you DO need to be on the same network for AirDrop?
You are wrong. I don't have Wi-Fi in my lab at work, and I AirDrop'd files between a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air with zero configuration. If it required an existing network, it would be little more than the already-existing Public shared folders. AirDrop is a configuration-free, secure, local peer-to-peer wireless network that "just works" beautifully.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 5, 2011

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you don't have the correct hardware (or are just annoyed at the close range limitation) then you can also enable AirDrop to look for machines on the network as well.

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110913213649565

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

~Coxy posted:

1. Probably halfish. Mine does. The only way I found this out was booting into Windows since Mac CPU monitoring tools are not great.

2. Not sure but probably doesn't matter with the CPU downlocked. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts turning off suddenly.

3. Not very much, I assume you have a 85W PSU so 85 x 24 = 2 Kwh per day at the very most and that's if you maxed it out 24/7. In practice you wouldn't get anywhere near that, again especially counting the underclocked CPU.

Following up on this, it looks like the working fan is currently constantly spinning at 6k rpm and the machine is quite warm to touch, so I might go get the dead fan replaced to keep it cooler. I reset the the SMC last night to see if that was why the fan was constantly spinning and now the machine is detecting the battery again, however I don't think it's holding a charge. I'm worried that if I replace it then I'm still going to have heat and fan noise issues once more. I guess these things weren't really intended to run in clamshell mode 24/7.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

You are wrong. I don't have Wi-Fi in my lab at work, and I AirDrop'd files between a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air with zero configuration. If it required an existing network, it would be little more than the already-existing Public shared folders. AirDrop is a configuration-free, secure, local peer-to-peer wireless network that "just works" beautifully.

Well gently caress me running. That's awesome :monocle:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

~Coxy posted:

If you don't have the correct hardware (or are just annoyed at the close range limitation) then you can also enable AirDrop to look for machines on the network as well.

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110913213649565

I thought some of the earlier WiFi chipsets simply lacked the hardware/software required for the subset of 802.11n features that Apple uses to implement AirDrop?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

movax posted:

I thought some of the earlier WiFi chipsets simply lacked the hardware/software required for the subset of 802.11n features that Apple uses to implement AirDrop?

They do
http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/08/03/list-of-airdrop-compatible-macs

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Would anyone be interested in a mechanical tenkeyless style keyboard with native Apple keys?

Something like this:

But with all the brightness / itunes / volume / command keys as a modern Apple keyboard should have.

No one is currently making one, so I'm trying to find a manufacturer who'd be willing to make a limited run and starting a Kickstarter, or maybe just fronting the money myself and taking orders.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Would anyone be interested in a mechanical tenkeyless style keyboard with native Apple keys?

Something like this:

But with all the brightness / itunes / volume / command keys as a modern Apple keyboard should have.

No one is currently making one, so I'm trying to find a manufacturer who'd be willing to make a limited run and starting a Kickstarter, or maybe just fronting the money myself and taking orders.

It's not true that nobody is making one. In fact, I bought one from DSI and decided I didn't like it much and I'm selling it on ebay right now. It's called the DSI Modular Mac keyboard.

I decided instead to buy an old Apple Extended II and use a ADB->USB converter. It works really well.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Something like this:

That keyboard with bluetooth in white would be my dream keyboard. Unfortunately I don't think anything like that exists.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

echobucket posted:

I decided instead to buy an old Apple Extended II and use a ADB->USB converter. It works really well.

Where'd you get that? Last I checked they were like $20

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

echobucket posted:

It's not true that nobody is making one. In fact, I bought one from DSI and decided I didn't like it much and I'm selling it on ebay right now. It's called the DSI Modular Mac keyboard.

Right, that one's the closest, but it still takes up more room than the tenkeyless and it doesn't have the native function keys like a modern mac keyboard.

And I think, were I to succeed in finding someone to make this, it'd have to be USB, but I don't know what would be possible color wise.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

This is rare as Apple usually prefers multiple hardware sources that can support the same features, as ATI and nVidia graphics chip do with OpenGL. AirDrop is using features currently only offered by using Broadcom chipsets; Apple may have 'locked' into Broadcom as a source, but they don't really like to do that (see Samsung, A4/A5 production, LCD displays, etc.)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Where'd you get that? Last I checked they were like $20

I bought a couple of them off ebay.. You want to search for the Griffin iMate. And they vary from $25-50 depending on the auction.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I'm having 2 different issues w/ a 2011 MBP, not sure if they're related:

1) Automatically boots to gray screen, then "no bootable device available". Works fine and boots into OS X when I boot with the option key and choose the Mac HD.

2)Refuses to boot from USB (same "no bootable device" message) when attempting to install Windows for Boot Camp (either USB key or DVD drive). Both the key are tested and working on a regular windows machine.

I know the second issue is unsupported (I used rEFIt in the past, which worked fine in the same situation on an original Macbook), but was hoping for some advice on both if possible.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Something like this:

I'd be very much interested in this as long as it works properly with a PC as well.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

clockworx posted:

I'm having 2 different issues w/ a 2011 MBP, not sure if they're related:

1) Automatically boots to gray screen, then "no bootable device available". Works fine and boots into OS X when I boot with the option key and choose the Mac HD.

2)Refuses to boot from USB (same "no bootable device" message) when attempting to install Windows for Boot Camp (either USB key or DVD drive). Both the key are tested and working on a regular windows machine.

I know the second issue is unsupported (I used rEFIt in the past, which worked fine in the same situation on an original Macbook), but was hoping for some advice on both if possible.
Have you tried PRAM or SMC reset?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Edit: guess this doesn't really belong in the Hardware thread

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Discuss the news here please.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Something like this:

Wouldn't those functions just sit on the function keys? They do on the chiclet keyboards.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Unicomp makes a buckling-spring Mac keyboard. It weighs like 4 pounds. I wish it was ten keyless and wireless.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Wireless isn't such a concern for me personally but yeah, dang, the Unicomp is ugly.

~Coxy posted:

Wouldn't those functions just sit on the function keys? They do on the chiclet keyboards.

Right. The unicomp has the right layout and functionality with Fn key access to the F-keys, it's just so loving huge and ugly. I want the unicomp in a tenkeyless like the Filco or Leopold.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm trying out a Magic Trackpad with my iMac and am having some problems with Firefox.

How do I go forward or back? The gesture works in Safari but not in Firefox.

Is there a way to make it so that I can open links in a new tab without having to right click first?

Things are a lot easier with my Logitech mouse...

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Something like this:

Absolutely. Been hoping for a wired Apple tenkeyless, drives me nuts to replace the AAs every couple months.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Absolutely. Been hoping for a wired Apple tenkeyless, drives me nuts to replace the AAs every couple months.

There is a wired tenkeyless Apple keyboard already, made by Apple. It may not be sold in the continental US (I don't live there), but I have used the Wired Apple keyboard without a key pad. Looks just like the bluetooth one but with a cable. I am sure time spent on eBay will get one sent to you, since the votes are split on it.

Or am I missing what you are saying?

(Edit: sure enough, it is not on the US site. Well finally something you mainlanders cannot get that I can.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Again, I'm not trying to be obnoxious here but I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy that Filco? Sure you'd have to spend 5 minutes setting up the keys in Sys Prefs...