Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

I am glad they exist because "Riding: ability to ride things :downs:" will never stop being funny.

http://i.imgur.com/q4sMv.jpg Rider, The hero who can ride anything. (as long as it's capable of 'independant movement'?)

nftyw fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I know this is done pretty much never in ADTRW but TVIV has a system where for major running series they have a spoiler thread and a non-spoiler thread.

Maybe it would be a good idea for do that for this. Half the people posting here already know every minute detail of the series, the thread is already mostly black boxes, and I'm predicting it'll only get worse as the series goes on.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Or we could follow standard ADTRW rules and not post about anything other than the contents of the anime we're currently watching? F/Z isn't a special snowflake, there are plenty of anime that get adapted from manga or VNs or LNs and the rules are the same for all of them, if you want to discuss the source material take it to another thread. The only reason this thread is full of black boxes is because type-moon fans are loving autists who can't just shut up and watch a cool anime and talk about it, so how about you take all the F/SN discussion that isnt directly related to F/Z back to the visual novel thread, and make a seperate thread for F/Z light novel if you really want although idk if zorak is cool expanding this forum to essentially cover lovely japanese light fiction.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Jesus christ people. I thought the two lines in the OP were simple enough to follow.

1. Do not post anything about what happens in Fate/Zero that we haven't gotten to yet. Unless you can infer it very easily from the events in Fate/Stay Night or the event is stated directly in Fate/Stay Night, don't do it (example: saying Kariya is going to fail horribly is fine, giving details of how is prohibited).

2. Anything that happens in Fate/Stay Night is fair game. Fate/Zero expects that you've read Fate/Stay Night in advance and there are going to be a few scenes that will probably need some sort of explanation to newcomers. Don't be obnoxious about this, try to keep the discussion limited to stuff that pertains to what we've seen so far.

The thread should hardly need any spoiler tags other than discussion of the current episode. No one should have to come in here and look at a wall of black text and be afraid of what to mouse over because they haven't read the original material.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Endorph posted:

It said "the protagonist," as in the protagonist is a goofy nerd who sees it that way.
To be fair, Shirou isn't a nerd. People make it sound like he's an otaku when in reality he doesn't really have any hobbies of that nature.

Putting it in that format is a pretty simple way for the players to visualize the information really.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Shirou is a cypher, he has no personality except "has a strongly developed sense of morals" and "is obnoxiously sexist."

Fate Shirou, anyways. Maybe UBW or HF will turn out better.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 5, 2011

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hahaha you have no idea.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Shirou is a cypher, he has no personality except "has a strongly developed sense of morals" and "is obnoxiously sexist."

I'd say he has a pretty developed personality, especially for a VN protagonist. We do see his interests; e.g. he likes to cook, to train his body and magical ability and hang out with Issei, as well as helping others.

And I wouldn't say he's really sexist. In Fate he sees Saber get stabbed in the chest by Lancer and then almost killed by Berserker, which is why his martyr complex kicks in and tries to protect her early on by grasping onto the fact she's a woman as an excuse. In UBW where Saber is able to hold her own against Berserker Shirou doesn't try to hold her back. (As for the "Ayako deserved to be assaulted to learn to be effeminate" bit, from what I've heard that was a mistranslation and he was really saying is that Ayako should be more careful because she's a woman (considering how much of a nice guy his is approving of assault seems very out of character).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Factor_VIII posted:

(As for the "Ayako deserved to be assaulted to learn to be effeminate" bit, from what I've heard that was a mistranslation and he was really saying is that Ayako should be more careful because she's a woman (considering how much of a nice guy his is approving of assault seems very out of character).

That's encouraging, at least. I still think his constant "X should be more womanly" remarks can get pretty grating, but that's the only thing I remember that made me do a double take.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Shirou has plenty of derpy moments without us making up new ones for him.

We all know the one I'm talking about.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Pierson posted:

Shirou has plenty of derpy moments without us making up new ones for him.

We all know the one I'm talking about.
The "people die when they are killed" thing is actually the result of wordplay on his part. In Japanese there's the saying "he wouldn't die even if you killed him". Shirou is simply inverting that and saying that this isn't the case. Of course a literal translation makes him sound retarded (not that he's the sharpest knife in the drawer admittedly).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
There's also the fact that in context, Shirou's talking about how Avalon is keeping him alive even if he should have died. And IIRC, that line comes before one of the major battles of Fate, so Shirou is really saying "If I lose in the next fight, I don't deserve to live."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He gets way, WAY better in UBW and HF. Trust me.

EDIT: HF especially, though his interactions with Rin in UBW add a lot to his personality.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's encouraging, at least. I still think his constant "X should be more womanly" remarks can get pretty grating, but that's the only thing I remember that made me do a double take.

That also annoyed me, but in my experience it's par for the course for almost every anime, much less romance VNs.

That said I don't regret reading all three routes. Good luck!

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

It's like Harry Potter and Sayaka had a kid, though not a good guy hero kid, thankfully. Waver's first scene is the origin story for a mad scientist type if I've ever heard one, and in fact I already had elsewhere. I do appreciate that he's the only main character in this so far that isn't humorless.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Crunchyroll just picked up Fate/Zero, but it looks like their stream is going to be a week behind the Nico stream.

Good news for me since I can't seem to view Nico videos.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-06/fate/zero-bd-box-release-to-add-cut-scenes

quote:

The November issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Monthly Newtype magazine is reporting this Saturday that the Blu-ray Disc box release of the Fate/Zero anime series will have the "original edition" of episodes with scenes cut from the television broadcast. The Blu-ray Disc box release will be split between the two scheduled seasons of the anime; the first 13-episode season will air from October to December, and the second will start from episode #14 next April. The end of the Holy Grail War will be depicted in the anime in June.

Producer Atsuhiro Iwakami explained that the staff decided on the two-season split to maintain quality across the entire anime.

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
I'm surprised they're even managing to fill 26 episodes, let alone cut content from them. I'm sure I know what they're planning on cutting, but still.

The two separate seasons thing is pretty disappointing though. :(

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
fffuuukkkkk I hate that split season bullshit

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

-Troika- posted:

fffuuukkkkk I hate that split season bullshit

Well, if it means keeping the quality top-notch throughout the entire series, I guess it isn't too big of a deal.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Most likely what they're cutting is shots of art galleries and furniture. Also wasn't there buzz prior to release about them doing some original content for the anime with Urobuchi's help? Maybe that's how they're going to fill it out.

Also BOOOO to that split season thing, what problems are they running into that could require that?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Scheduling? Allocating funds from investors?

I've waited this long for Fate/Zero (by the time the novels were fully translated this was announced so I decided to roll with the anime), a few months wait is fine for me at least.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

At least it means one guaranteed good show to watch next year?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Scheduling? Allocating funds from investors?

I've waited this long for Fate/Zero (by the time the novels were fully translated this was announced so I decided to roll with the anime), a few months wait is fine for me at least.

The novels are absolutely still worth a read, there's a very Douglas Adamsesque quality to a lot of the narration in it, especially with Team 7, who I won't say more about because we haven't seen them yet.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rodyle posted:

The novels are absolutely still worth a read, there's a very Douglas Adamsesque quality to a lot of the narration in it, especially with Team 7, who I won't say more about because we haven't seen them yet.

Urobuchi is very good at narration. Even with the butchered Japanese->Chinese->English translation that we ended up getting, this still shines through pretty well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

jonjonaug posted:

Urobuchi is very good at narration. Even with the butchered Japanese->Chinese->English translation that we ended up getting, this still shines through pretty well.
This is the main reason I don't feel like bothering. If it were officially released stateside or retranslated I would definitely read it sooner or later.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

This is the main reason I don't feel like bothering. If it were officially released stateside or retranslated I would definitely read it sooner or later.

It's really not a bad translation, though there are some typos here add there.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rodyle posted:

It's really not a bad translation, though there are some typos here add there.
I think it reads pretty awkwardly. I'd say it's worth reading but the flow of the writing is pretty poor.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Something occurs to me. In that power level thing that someone posted a few pages back, it rates Gilgamesh as being able to beat Arcueid. Is that just because of being able to NP spam her?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Higher power levels aren't the same thing as 'being able to beat', first of all. As others pointed out around the time the list was posted, it's mostly a crapshoot and nothing in that list is definitive.

As for Gil vs Arc, I think the way Nasu put it is that Arc has higher raw stats but Gil's Gate of Babylon makes it a bad matchup for Arc or something along those lines.(That's 30% Arc, by the way. 100% Arc would stomp Gilgamesh without trying.)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

-Troika- posted:

Something occurs to me. In that power level thing that someone posted a few pages back, it rates Gilgamesh as being able to beat Arcueid. Is that just because of being able to NP spam her?
Pretty much. To quote Nasu: "In cases where even if the guy's stats are about the same as Arc, he has a ridiculously large number of weapons with high versatility. As the amount Arc is allowed to take out is based on "single entity ability", against types like Gil-sama, well, you see?"

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wait a sec that's ridiculous. That means Archer could also beat Arcueid since he can spam like Gilgamesh does :psyduck:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

-Troika- posted:

Wait a sec that's ridiculous. That means Archer could also beat Arcueid since he can spam like Gilgamesh does :psyduck:

It's not just spam though. Archer can only replicate swords after all and Gilgamesh has far more than that in GoB.

But overall, unless Arcuied instagibs Archer, Archer does have a surprisingly good matchup there under that reasoning.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Interestingly, the two actually do fight in Battle Moon Wars (a Super Robot Wars clone using Type-Moon characters) :v: Arcueid does get sword spammed the first time she meets Gilgamesh.

The next time she drops the fuggin' moon on him :pwn:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

-Troika- posted:

Not really. His abilities aren't as good; Gil is much more powerful than any other Servant. His ability to interfere with destiny (maxed out Luck rating) would be a pretty huge advantage, which Archer lacks. And yes, Gil has a ton of crazy stuff in GoB such as ancient nuclear weapons (Fate/Zero spoilers on that page).

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 7, 2011

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

Not really. His abilities aren't as good; Gil is much more powerful than any other Servant. His ability to interfere with destiny (maxed out Luck rating) would be a pretty huge advantage, which Archer lacks. And yes, Gil has a ton of crazy stuff in GoB such as ancient nuclear weapons.

Isn't this a spoiler?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just so you guys know, power level debates are basically the same as the guys on the Gamefaqs board asking who'd win in a fight, Goku or Superman. There's far more interesting things to discuss than hypothetical fights between anime characters.

Metamucil
May 10, 2011
Yes, can we please turn the discussion back towards the absolutely riveting plot of this anime adaptation of an adult visual novel. It seems like some in this thread only like Fate because it features crazy fantasy battles between famous mythological figures. Shame on you all, this series has so much more to offer.

Perhaps we could debate the merits of our favorite creepy sex scenes. I'm a huge fan of threesomes ala EmiyoxRinxSaber, though what I really want to see is some more cosplay. Fingers crossed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, this power level debate is pretty dumb. The Nasuverse is pretty much deliberately set up so you can constantly bitch about how your favorite character is guaranteed to win any fight, because everyone who has any kind of powers at all has some sort of ridiculous one-hit-kill like UBW, Ea or Gae Bolg.

Metamucil posted:

Yes, can we please turn the discussion back towards the absolutely riveting plot of this anime adaptation of an adult visual novel. It seems like some in this thread only like Fate because it features crazy fantasy battles between famous mythological figures. Shame on you all, this series has so much more to offer.

Perhaps we could debate the merits of our favorite creepy sex scenes. I'm a huge fan of threesomes ala EmiyoxRinxSaber, though what I really want to see is some more cosplay. Fingers crossed.

:gb2fyad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
All right then.

Is this the first animated aparition of Zouken? I really liked the guy whenever he was on screen, he dominated all his scenes. He has pretty much the voice, movements and expression I always imagined.

• Locked thread