Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So yeah I guess I'm allowed to talk about Fortune now. She's strong as gently caress and probably my favorite character now. I thought I was a 3-char team player for life, but I'm kind of into solo fortune...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

So yeah I guess I'm allowed to talk about Fortune now. She's strong as gently caress and probably my favorite character now. I thought I was a 3-char team player for life, but I'm kind of into solo fortune...

She does look like a really fun character to play. Something I don't think was answered in the video is if her head is interactable after you tag out. For example can I throw my head on the ground, tag, then kick her head into my opponent with my new character? And can the opponent still hit it and deal damage to Ms. Fortune?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Twilly posted:

She does look like a really fun character to play. Something I don't think was answered in the video is if her head is interactable after you tag out. For example can I throw my head on the ground, tag, then kick her head into my opponent with my new character? And can the opponent still hit it and deal damage to Ms. Fortune?

It wasn't mentioned in the video, but it was mentioned elsewhere. It's not interactable at all when Fortune is tagged out, by yourself or the enemy. That might change if you use a head attack as an assist, though, but only when Fortune is out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AXE COP posted:

I'm actually looking forward to playing Cerebella because I can finally use a grappler that's (relatively) easy to use on keyboard.

It's a pity GGPO doesn't support it any more, I would have told you to try 3S Makoto.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Broken Loose posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-miss-skullgirls/721769

Miss Fortune walkthrough. She's pretty awesome in her own ways. Not at all what I was expecting, and as the video goes on it gets more and move obvious how powerful she is.

Dive kicks, rekkas, sudo double character, blockable command throws, stupidly good crossups wow it is like everything thing I like in a character rolled into one.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Dive kicks, rekkas, sudo double character, blockable command throws, stupidly good crossups wow it is like everything thing I like in a character rolled into one.

I saw an axe kick, but where's a dive kick?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Zaa Boogie posted:

I saw an axe kick, but where's a dive kick?

I think he meant the axe kick. Last thing we need is another Yun/Wolverine.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-miss-skullgirls/721769

Miss Fortune walkthrough. She's pretty awesome in her own ways. Not at all what I was expecting, and as the video goes on it gets more and move obvious how powerful she is.

The walkthrough was awesome but this is actually the first time I saw the game in high resolution and I was more impressed by how good the game looks.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

40 OZ posted:

The walkthrough was awesome but this is actually the first time I saw the game in high resolution and I was more impressed by how good the game looks.

The last few FNF have been uploading HD 60fps videos to Megaupload.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One thing to keep in mind is that the market is going to be pretty drat saturated with fighting games in 2012. You have UMVC3, SFxT, KOF XIII, SCV, and TTT2. Add in AE2012 and you have six competitive fighting games, and I doubt many people will spend the time and money to play all six. I'd say the community is big enough to generate serious hype for three, maybe four games, and two of those slots are taken up by AE and UMVC3. This is the absolute worst possible release window for Skullgirls and any other fighting games, by releasing in early 2012 they are setting themselves up for failure. I'd suggest that if they have to delay, they delay until the 2012 Christmas buying season, anything sooner and there won't be enough people buying it to really build up the player base needed for a big success.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Konstantin posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the market is going to be pretty drat saturated with fighting games in 2012. You have UMVC3, SFxT, KOF XIII, SCV, and TTT2. Add in AE2012...
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown - Already Forgotten

:smith:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I gotta download this and other videos and play them on my big tv. Ms Fortune looks absolutely bonkers, but I know I'll never be able to play her to the fullest extent.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do you have to block toward the body or the head when the head attacks you?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Konstantin posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the market is going to be pretty drat saturated with fighting games in 2012. You have UMVC3, SFxT, KOF XIII, SCV, and TTT2. Add in AE2012 and you have six competitive fighting games, and I doubt many people will spend the time and money to play all six. I'd say the community is big enough to generate serious hype for three, maybe four games, and two of those slots are taken up by AE and UMVC3. This is the absolute worst possible release window for Skullgirls and any other fighting games, by releasing in early 2012 they are setting themselves up for failure. I'd suggest that if they have to delay, they delay until the 2012 Christmas buying season, anything sooner and there won't be enough people buying it to really build up the player base needed for a big success.

You're kind of forgetting that Skullgirls isn't going to be a full priced title when it comes out. Since it's going to be a digital download there's a super good probability it'll just be 15 bucks. I think people will be more willing to buy it at that price and maybe a couple of the others. Plus I don't think delaying the game for THAT long would be as easy as just sitting on their butts and twiddling their thumbs by their own choice.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Konstantin posted:

If it is a good game, people will play it.

Fighting games are ridiculously popular right now, you can walk into a random gamestop in kansas or whatever and buy a 150$ arcade stick.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the tournament community. If there are like 5 tournament games people are either gonna have to specialize, quit their jobs, or just accept being less good at more games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Armor-Piercing posted:

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown - Already Forgotten

:smith:

Remembering Soul Calibur before it is just adding insult to injury.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Jmcrofts posted:

She looks like a lot of fun, and also much easier to use than "two character characters" in other games (Carl Clover, Eddie, the dancing Ice Climbers from Chaos Code, etc.). Do you agree with that?

Also I love the headless command throw where she's just biting the gently caress out of the opponent.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

40 OZ posted:

If it is a good game, people will play it.

If we stick a "new" in there (without which this statement is blatantly false), I think Skullgirls will really be the first test of this in the post-SF4 world.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Ms. Fortune looks cool, but I can't get over Peacock's character design. Even though I'm awful at zoning I'm going to main her.

e: I'm getting a Dog Zappa/Eddie vibe off Fortune's head thing.

Why are rekkas beneficial to a character? Does being able to block after one attack make it low-risk, high-reward?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Do you have to block toward the body or the head when the head attacks you?

You can always block where the body is, the head is like an assist.

As to SN64's question, I can't really say if Ms Fortune is easier than other characters with a partner mechanic since I never really played anyone like that to a serious level.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Is the walkthrough thing up elsewhere? Apparently GT is too HD for my integrated graphics so I basically get a slideshow.

That said, probable question repeat here: is there an intended final cast size for SG?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I know everyone was talking about how disgusting her moves were but the moves where her muscles stretch remind me of those monkeys with the rubberbands in them. It's more funny than anything.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think that the games that have the best netcode will win. Developers are dropping the ball on this, most of them are programming with the idea that their game will be played in arcades, and then trying to retrofit online play later. That approach will only get you so far. In order to have a really great online fighting game, you need to be thinking about online play from Day 1, and designing the game under the assumption that everyone will play it online. If Skullgirls becomes more than a niche title, it will be because of that reason, but the use of GGPO tells me that they are still subscribing to the old way of "Design for offline first, then slap on some netcode later." I haven't been following the development process that closely, so hopefully I'm wrong about this.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Gamest Mook posted:

If we stick a "new" in there (without which this statement is blatantly false), I think Skullgirls will really be the first test of this in the post-SF4 world.

I agree completely, but I don't think it is fair to compare new games with old games 1:1.

There is something different about new fighting games because every strategy and combo isn't already documented extensively and there isn't 100 training videos on how exactly to play it properly. It is fun to explore, innovate, and just see the wild poo poo people figured out at the latest major.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Konstantin posted:

I think that the games that have the best netcode will win. Developers are dropping the ball on this, most of them are programming with the idea that their game will be played in arcades, and then trying to retrofit online play later. That approach will only get you so far. In order to have a really great online fighting game, you need to be thinking about online play from Day 1, and designing the game under the assumption that everyone will play it online. If Skullgirls becomes more than a niche title, it will be because of that reason, but the use of GGPO tells me that they are still subscribing to the old way of "Design for offline first, then slap on some netcode later." I haven't been following the development process that closely, so hopefully I'm wrong about this.

What the hell are you talking about? GGPO is the best online solution there is for fighting games.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Konstantin posted:

If Skullgirls becomes more than a niche title, it will be because of that reason, but the use of GGPO tells me that they are still subscribing to the old way of "Design for offline first, then slap on some netcode later."

jigga what????????

GGPO is the best we got. There comes a point where there is no magic netcode or wild idea that is going to overcome latency in games like this. What exactly are you expecting, or what game are you thinking of that has a better model?

edit- You haven't been listening to DSP, have you? :(

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 5, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Konstantin posted:

I think that the games that have the best netcode will win. Developers are dropping the ball on this, most of them are programming with the idea that their game will be played in arcades, and then trying to retrofit online play later.

Not even getting into how wrong the rest of your post is, most fighting games aren't targeted at arcades anymore.

Course this means there's really even less of an excuse for bad netcode to still be the standard.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Gamest Mook posted:

What the hell are you talking about? GGPO is the best online solution there is for fighting games.

GGPO is great, sure, but that isn't my point. Let me use an analogy here. My car isn't designed to go off-road. I could spend a ton of effort and money to modify it to improve it's off-road capability. However, no matter how good those modifications are, my car still wouldn't have anywhere near the performance of a purpose built off-road vehicle.

Adding online capability to these games is like adding off-road capability to a car. If you start with the idea that you are designing an online game, you'll get a better result. If you try and add it in later, no matter how good you are, you'll get an inferior result because you are dealing with the limitations of the original design.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

So basically what you are saying is that Skullgirls isn't going to be scrubby enough?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Konstantin posted:

GGPO is great, sure, but that isn't my point. Let me use an analogy here. My car isn't designed to go off-road. I could spend a ton of effort and money to modify it to improve it's off-road capability. However, no matter how good those modifications are, my car still wouldn't have anywhere near the performance of a purpose built off-road vehicle.

Adding online capability to these games is like adding off-road capability to a car. If you start with the idea that you are designing an online game, you'll get a better result. If you try and add it in later, no matter how good you are, you'll get an inferior result because you are dealing with the limitations of the original design.

What the christ are you talking about?

For starters, just so we don't get another reply that spends two paragraphs to say nothing, are you complaining about netcode specifically, or about the way the gameplay itself is designed to play well/not play well in lag?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Konstantin posted:

Online play should never be the focus of a fighting game.

In your analogy it'd be like a dude who lives in the middle of the city buying a four-wheel off-road monster. It's not necessary and it makes it way shittier for the places where it'd get actual use.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Konstantin posted:

Fighting games are, by nature, not very online-friendly. Until we get super Japanese future internet, that won't change. Dumbing down the entire genre isn't the answer.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Konstantin, you do realize that GGPO was licensed fairly early in the actual development process, right? They're not just slapping it in to a finished product, but rather designing their game with GGPO in mind from the outset. It won't be perfect but it should be the best online experience offered by console fighting games.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Konstantin posted:

There are three fighting games from the enthralling Fantasy Strike universe you can play, and none of them fall apart under laggy online conditions!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Konstantin posted:

Car analogies nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't go there man!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

What are you suggesting they do differently? It's well and good to say "they should design it from the ground up to be an online fighter!", but fighting games are inherently about understanding the situation and being able act/react to it. Online games will always throw latency into the mix.

You already admit that GGPO is great for managing existing fighting games online. If you designed a fighting game specifically to account latency, the offline play would be poo poo. It's far easier and results in better playability if you take an offline fighter and then use quality netcode (like GGPO) to provide a playable online experience.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
And I thought Skullgirls had potential BEFORE!

Every new character they release makes me hope this gets a PC release more and more.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think he meant the axe kick. Last thing we need is another Yun/Wolverine.

Yeah, I mostly just meant a move you can jump then immediately do this move and be safe assuming they block it.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Yeah the only way you could design a fighting game with online in mind is making reaction less important. And what have you got left then?

This isn't an RTS where you can lower the amount of micromanagement you need to do so lag doesn't affect you quite as much. Fighting games are all about split-second decisions and the internet is a lovely solution for that. So basically you are telling us that Skullgirls shouldn't be a fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
To play devil's advocate, Samurai Shodown isn't that fast and is still a fighting game. :colbert:

• Locked thread