Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hmmm... the 'Tamales 101' lady seems to think that the float test is important. She also uses the 2-1 ratio, though.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your cooking process for tamale masa?
(as in, cal concentration, boil time, simmer time, steep time...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Mix masa with salt, baking powder, and boiling water. Work dough until well combined, and smooth, let it sit for a while, then fill husks with it and add whatever filling I plan on using. Tie them off and steam them for like 45 minutes or an hour or something, or until everything is done. Sorry my instructions aren't more exact - it's a thing done totally by feel.

Now, if I'm making tamales sans filling, then I add lard and sugar and raisins and what have you, so I suppose I shouldn't have said I NEVER add fat, but I don't when I'm making savoury filled tamales.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sorry my instructions aren't more exact - it's a thing done totally by feel.

I totally get that... the lady who taught me how to make salsa and cerviche was the same way.

I didn't realize that you are buying dried, milled masa. I'm trying to make it from scratch, so there is a lot more to gently caress up.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Real newbie question here, but what's the difference between a Frying Chicken and a roasting chicken? I see local supermarkets label them differently with Fryers being cheaper but I'm wondering is their a major difference or will a frying chicken roast up decently well.

(Wondering for Canadian thanksgiving as I'm thinking of doing a chicken instead of a turkey).

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Frying chickens are usually smaller and younger... and therefore also not as tasty. If you roast it on its own, you probably won't be able to really taste the difference but do a side by side taste and roasting chickens have always been tastier (imo anyway). If it's for Thanksgiving, splurge on the roaster.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I totally get that... the lady who taught me how to make salsa and cerviche was the same way.

I didn't realize that you are buying dried, milled masa. I'm trying to make it from scratch, so there is a lot more to gently caress up.

Well, good luck with it. I see buying masa harina is like buying flour - yes, I COULD grind it myself, but this is a convenience I will allow myself.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This would be a good post for a chat thread, but, here we are:monocle::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

I did this the other day and I was sadly disappointed that it didn't taste like god's jizz. It tasted like Duke's.

Still way better than most, because Duke's is the only commercial mayo that still uses egg yolk, I hear. But it's still just good mayo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Is there any legitimate use for nutritional yeast? By "legitimate" I mean nothing that includes the word "healthy," "superfood," or "cheeze."

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Saeku posted:

Is there any legitimate use for nutritional yeast? By "legitimate" I mean nothing that includes the word "healthy," "superfood," or "cheeze."

It is SPECTACULAR on popcorn.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

pr0k posted:

I did this the other day and I was sadly disappointed that it didn't taste like god's jizz. It tasted like Duke's.

Still way better than most, because Duke's is the only commercial mayo that still uses egg yolk, I hear. But it's still just good mayo.

It's not fabulous if you make straight mayo, but homemaking it allows you to add all sorts of things for flavored mayonnaise. Sriracha, garlic, avocado, etc.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT

User-Friendly posted:

It's not fabulous if you make straight mayo, but homemaking it allows you to add all sorts of things for flavored mayonnaise. Sriracha, garlic, avocado, etc.

If I wanted to make, say an avocado mayo, should I mix the avocado mash in after the mayo is done or could I do it all at once?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Aery posted:

If I wanted to make, say an avocado mayo, should I mix the avocado mash in after the mayo is done or could I do it all at once?

When I do it, I put stuff in before adding the oil, with the egg and mustard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So on one of my half-drunken visits to one of the Chinese grocery stores here in Boston, I ended up with two packs of ma po tofu sauce and also 400 grams of white miso base. For the white miso base, what's a good recipe to use it in, and for the ma po tofu sauce, is it usable with dishes that do not incorporate tofu or minced meat? Like, say, if I was gonna stir fry some vegetables and velveted beef, would it work well?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

User-Friendly posted:

Making your own mayo is all about the extra flavors. The above suggestions are good, but I also like to use different vinegars. Tarragon vinegar is amazing in mayo. I was one time in a bind and used some balsamic, which produced an ugly brown mayo but one that was incredible with fresh fries tossed with garlic cloves, sea salt, and fresh rosemary.

If you're going to use homemade mayo to make tartar sauce for fish, try using lime juice or orange juice to get a different citrus note from regular lemon. And then there's the different flavors and textures that you get from olive oil vs. safflower oil or whatever other crazy oil you might be using. Not all work well, and you don't want to use super expensive oil here, but don't just go for the cheapest Canola you can find.

If you have things that you might be dipping in the mayo (like fries, or whatever else), then make a fairly basic batch and then split it in thirds. Blend one of the parts with Sriracha like User-Friendly said, blend another with some prepared horseradish, and the third with a bunch of fresh basil or sage. The one with herbs in it won't last very long, but it will taste great.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I'm attending a potluck with colleagues in a couple of weeks, and the theme is pumpkin. I want to skip the traditional pumpkin dishes and go for something either not very traditional or completely crazy out of left field stuff.

Google insists on giving me pumpkin pie and eight thousand variations thereof, anyone here have ideas for unconventional pumpkin dishes?

Edit: I hunted down a few ICSA 14 threads from 2006, and I think I'm making Mr. Wiggles' pumpkin curry. Seems just crazy enough for me, and I'm pretty comfortable with making curries.

Since you're still around, got any tips for me Wiggles? Or any of the pictures since Waffleimages is long dead?

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 5, 2011

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Zedlic posted:

I'm attending a potluck with colleagues in a couple of weeks, and the theme is pumpkin. I want to skip the traditional pumpkin dishes and go for something either not very traditional or completely crazy out of left field stuff.

Google insists on giving me pumpkin pie and eight thousand variations thereof, anyone here have ideas for unconventional pumpkin dishes?

Thai pumpkin curry is bomb as gently caress!

You can do a stuffed pumpkin, you basically scoop all the goo out of the pumpkin and stuff it with vegetables/meats and bake it for a lil while.

Pumpkin ice cream is out of this world.

I like pumpkin in my omelets, but I have a feeling I might in the minority and I don't see how well that'd work at a potluck.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

heeebrew posted:

Thai pumpkin curry is bomb as gently caress!

You can do a stuffed pumpkin, you basically scoop all the goo out of the pumpkin and stuff it with vegetables/meats and bake it for a lil while.

Pumpkin ice cream is out of this world.

I like pumpkin in my omelets, but I have a feeling I might in the minority and I don't see how well that'd work at a potluck.

Yeah the curry sounds good. Looks like I'll be making that.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Zedlic posted:

Edit: I hunted down a few ICSA 14 threads from 2006, and I think I'm making Mr. Wiggles' pumpkin curry. Seems just crazy enough for me, and I'm pretty comfortable with making curries.

Since you're still around, got any tips for me Wiggles? Or any of the pictures since Waffleimages is long dead?

Another vote for pumpkin curry, or something inspired by that. I bet there's going to be a million pumpkin pies, so maybe try something not very sweet? Roast it with cinnamon and serve it with something dark green? Dunno, just going for colour contrast with that last part.

Spicy pumpkin stew, maybe?

Whoops typed that all up without seeing the edit. Now I kind of want to make a bunch of things with pumpkin.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
pumpkin soup, warm or cold with coconut milk and ginger is also good, just make it thinner if youre going to serve it cold

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Zedlic posted:

I'd sweat down some onions, fry the pumpkin (and some (sweet?) potatoes a bit & add a marsalla of tumeric, curry leaves, ground coriander, ground ginger, a cinnamon quill, cloves & cumin. Maybe fennel leaves &/or seeds. Add some vege stock & simmer until it's thick. Add some cocconut cream or some cashew butter at the end to give it a really rich mouthfeel. Play up to the sweetness of the onions & pumpkin with the spices you use. Add chilli for heat as required & maybe make a very astringent mango chutney to taste at service.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

branedotorg posted:

I'd sweat down some onions, fry the pumpkin (and some (sweet?) potatoes a bit & add a marsalla of tumeric, curry leaves, ground coriander, ground ginger, a cinnamon quill, cloves & cumin. Maybe fennel leaves &/or seeds. Add some vege stock & simmer until it's thick. Add some cocconut cream or some cashew butter at the end to give it a really rich mouthfeel. Play up to the sweetness of the onions & pumpkin with the spices you use. Add chilli for heat as required & maybe make a very astringent mango chutney to taste at service.

Mouth is already watering. Thanks, I'll do a practice run and report in the dinner thread.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Can anyone summarize which vegetables I should salt before cooking/steaming/etc and which after? I've heard on some cooking show long ago that green vegetables should be salted before cooking and everything else after... true/false/more complicated than that?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The most fun thing about pumpkin soup is serving it in a big hollowed-out pumpkin when it's done.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
If I leave oil in a pan or baking tray overnight, can I fry/roast something in that same oil the next day? Or is that terrible hygiene and I will die or something?

e: clarification: I have already used the oil in the pan once, I want to use it again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Al2001 posted:

If I leave oil in a pan or baking tray overnight, can I fry/roast something in that same oil the next day? Or is that terrible hygiene and I will die or something?

e: clarification: I have already used the oil in the pan once, I want to use it again.

Just cover it to keep dust and stuff out. And optionally strain it.

Admiral Ballsack
Aug 13, 2009

I've never really used peppers much. I'm just not into spicy food, but I've had a few dishes with grilled sweet peppers that were pretty awesome. If I want to do something like that which peppers should I be going for? That'll come off as sweet instead of spicy. Is it all about the color of the pepper?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Admiral Ballsack posted:

I've never really used peppers much. I'm just not into spicy food, but I've had a few dishes with grilled sweet peppers that were pretty awesome. If I want to do something like that which peppers should I be going for? That'll come off as sweet instead of spicy. Is it all about the color of the pepper?

Color is meaningless. Generally speaking, the smaller the pepper, the hotter it is. Bell peppers and pimentos are sweet peppers.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
peppers do cross pollinate easier than just about any other species of fruit though so it is usually a good idea to taste one of each batch or even each pepper, especially if you got them from a small independent grower and not from a factory farm that planted acres of the same pepper. Sometimes you find one that looks like a padron and tastes like a serrano :supaburn:

Admiral Ballsack
Aug 13, 2009

Humboldt squid posted:

Color is meaningless. Generally speaking, the smaller the pepper, the hotter it is. Bell peppers and pimentos are sweet peppers.

so there's no difference between red, green, and orange bell peppers?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Admiral Ballsack posted:

so there's no difference between red, green, and orange bell peppers?

Green is more bitter, but not really, no.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
green bells have a kind of plastic-y tinge to them for me but I cant tell a taste difference between red yellow or orange bells

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

pile of brown posted:

green bells have a kind of plastic-y tinge to them for me but I cant tell a taste difference between red yellow or orange bells

A dude at the farmer's market answered a question about something like this. They had purple peppers, yellow, and green. Someone asked what the difference was, and he shrugged and said, "The color and age."

I'm sure I'm going to get the color change wrong, but he said something like,
Purple turns yellow
Green turns red.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sometimes green peppers turn purple then red, sometimes they turn purple when they're fully ripe, sometimes they turn red without turning purple.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
My dad just bought ~5 pounds of assorted peppers mainly Jalapenos and Serranos, outside of salsa what can I do with them?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Poppers

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

homerlaw posted:

My dad just bought ~5 pounds of assorted peppers mainly Jalapenos and Serranos, outside of salsa what can I do with them?

Have a grill? Make some Atomic Buffalo Turds, or ABTs.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

homerlaw posted:

dry+grind

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

After making pho from scratch, I have a ridiculously huge amount of the spices left over. Korean grocery stores never seem to sell herbs and spices in small quantities.

I was thinking of using some of the cinnamon, cloves, and star anise to make mulled cider, and fennel seed is part of my Italian sausage recipe, but what do I do with the black cardamom pods and the whole coriander seed? Besides make more pho, which I fully plan to do, but the recipe doesn't call for very much and I have LOTS. The coriander seed completely fills a standard-size sandwich bag, to the point of being difficult to close.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Coriander should be going in a lot of your Mexican cooking. Bake with the cardamom and use it in chai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Coriander should be going in a lot of your Mexican cooking.

Whole? Because I have a fair amount of ground stuff already, and I was hoping to make use of the whole seeds.

I don't do any authentic Mexican cooking, really. Taco night probably doesn't count. But I suppose I could learn :)

quote:

Bake with the cardamom and use it in chai.

My husband will like that, he's a big chai fan. Thanks!