Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Kekekela posted:

I kept picturing him as Johny Depp.

I picture Daario more like Vincent Cassel (especially in Elizabeth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I picture everyone in the series as vin diesel

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I picture everyone in the series as Brian Blessed.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
HOWDY Y'ALL!

So in season 2 are they going to add tits during the Blackwater? I'm afraid I may lose focus without it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

HOWDY Y'ALL!

So in season 2 are they going to add tits during the Blackwater? I'm afraid I may lose focus without it.

It's HBO, so we won't actually see that, instead we will have another lesbo exposition dump while the actual cool battle stuff happens off screen and we maybe see a bird's eye shot of a bunch of CG corpses and CG smoke.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mind the walrus posted:

Did you pick up the bits about the honeyed locust? No? Well you're in luck because GRRM sure as poo poo isn't going to make you forget it.

Ah yes, Strong Belwas' most favorite snack NOM NOM NOM VOMIT.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

IRQ posted:

It's HBO, so we won't actually see that, instead we will have another lesbo exposition dump while the actual cool battle stuff happens off screen and we maybe see a bird's eye shot of a bunch of CG corpses and CG smoke.

Littlefinger describes a battle as two whores being paid to handfuck each other, dramatic shots of hands on titties and vaginas under a harsh green light, set to the sound of metallic clashes and horses screaming. hire me HBO

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

YES bread posted:

Littlefinger describes a battle as two whores being paid to handfuck each other, dramatic shots of hands on titties and vaginas under a harsh green light, set to the sound of metallic clashes and horses screaming. hire me HBO
I wouldn't object to this at all.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I have what is probably a stupid question: If I want to try another fantasy series (I've only read this series, the Lord of the Rings, and the Dark Tower series), but I really prefer low-to-no magic, competant prose, and above-average dialogue, do I have any options?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I have what is probably a stupid question: If I want to try another fantasy series (I've only read this series, the Lord of the Rings, and the Dark Tower series), but I really prefer low-to-no magic, competant prose, and above-average dialogue, do I have any options?
The Black Company or The Blade Itself would be the two most common answers.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Lies of Locke Lamora is pretty good.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I've only read the first book (The Lies of Locke Lamora), but the Gentlemen Bastards series is pretty good. It's basically a caper story in a low-fantasy setting, lots of fun twists and tight rhythm. The protagonist is a bit too much of a goody-two-shoes, but most everyone else is very interesting.

Also it's a direct 180° from GRRM in that Scott Lynch is very thorough about tying up every single subplot, to the degree that I found it the most implausible thing about the whole novel (also had the side effect that I feel very little urge to begin the second book).

I really wouldn't recommend the Black Company. For one, it's VERY high-fantasy (and contrasting that with the Sven Hassel-esque narration is the entire selling point of the series). For another, its characters get so little attention that at the end of the first book I knew only a few things about a handful of them and nothing about all the others, and could't honestly give a drat about a single one among the whole lot anyway.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I dont know whats so bad about the wall. You get to eat a lot of beef jerky and onions and hang with your bros. I like beef jerky and I bet reconstituted beef jerky soup with onions is good.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Lies of Locke Lamora is good, and The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie is great too. Don't read Malazan its super high magic fantasy, though it is postmodern world that is more real than ours according to a guy in the Malazan thread.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Soulcleaver posted:

The Black Company or The Blade Itself would be the two most common answers.

Abercrombie (The Blade Itself) is over-rated as gently caress, but The Black Company is really really really bad after about 3 books. And only really bad for those first three.

Still better than AFFC and ADWD though!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

IRQ posted:

Abercrombie (The Blade Itself) is over-rated as gently caress, but The Black Company is really really really bad after about 3 books. And only really bad for those first three.

Still better than AFFC and ADWD though!

I disagree with all your opinions in this post. Except the Silver Spike standalone Black Company book was a pain and the last book (Soldiers Live) was a little too pat.

Why cookie Nefud, read The Blade Itself. Black Company is more high fantasy military than low fantasy epic.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Vance is your go to guy for fantasy with competent prose and dialogue, but only the Planet of Adventure series comes close to your low magic request, and all the other great prose stylists in the genre stick firmly to the crazy supernatural weirdness everywhere style- two exceptions are Gene Wolfe's The Devil in a Forest which is very low-key and John Crowley's The Deep, which is a great first novel and would probably appeal to a Dark Tower fan. Probably Moorcock has some that fit the bill...

Ben Cornwall's Warlord Chronicles fits the bill best, it's a dark'n'gritty take on Arthurian myth with ambiguous magic. I've also heard a lot of comparisons between Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars series and ASOAIF but haven't read them.

Also I guess Duncton Wood and the comic Mouse Guard would appeal if what you are looking for is something in a medieval-y kind of world that isn't our own- they are both sort of Redwall by way of Watership Down.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Thanks a lot for your input, guys. Especially NihilCredo (because I'll take the advice of a Yes, Minister fan over others every day of the week). I don't want to derail the thread, but just two clarifications:

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

would probably appeal to a Dark Tower fan.

I said I read them, I didn't say I was insane. I love the first three, but after that...yeesh.

Second, I don't mind some magic when there are clear rules and prices to be paid. I loved everything about the way that Drogo was brought back to "life" in AGOT, but I hated everything about the Mance/Rattleshirt switcheroo. "Oh, yeah, I just cast a spell to make that happen" is really frustrating, because who knows what else Mel can do? And, apparently, at no great harm to herself or others! Maybe next book she'll be teleporting or casting fireball! Bleh. There's a big difference between a lightsaber (a magic really sharp sword) and the force (first, it helps you aim. then, it lets you levitate stuff. by the third movie it's lightning bolts and jumping like a motherfucker).

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Update:

Val returned with Tormund Giantsbane. I like the guy. Also think Jon needs to be tapping Val. Still not much momentum in the actual plot, but good to see Giantsbane back in the story regardless.

In unrelated news, Jaime has reached the rank of Finger Flicker. Long live Lanister!

To commemorate the occasion, something is happening outside.
Winter is coming.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 6, 2011

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

I'd go with Abercrombie's stuff, I read his fifth book first and am on the second book of the trilogy now and really enjoying it.

As others have pointed out the Black Company, while gritty, is pretty magic heavy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I disagree with all your opinions in this post. Except the Silver Spike standalone Black Company book was a pain and the last book (Soldiers Live) was a little too pat.

Why cookie Nefud, read The Blade Itself. Black Company is more high fantasy military than low fantasy epic.

You disagree that Abercrombie's stuff is better than AFFC and ADWD? Whoa.

Anyway, I didn't say Abercrombie is bad, his books are quite enjoyable, just very much over-rated around here.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

IRQ posted:

Anyway, I didn't say Abercrombie is bad, his books are quite enjoyable, just very much over-rated around here.

Nope. Just disagree about the over-rated as gently caress, and am leery about comparing two good but flawed books from an eternally unfinished series with a differently good and actually-finishes-his-books sort of author. On the other hand I enjoy Glen Cook books that would make you burst into flame so what do I know. And on the gripping hand George R.R. Martin is a poop.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Second, I don't mind some magic when there are clear rules and prices to be paid. I loved everything about the way that Drogo was brought back to "life" in AGOT, but I hated everything about the Mance/Rattleshirt switcheroo. "Oh, yeah, I just cast a spell to make that happen" is really frustrating, because who knows what else Mel can do? And, apparently, at no great harm to herself or others! Maybe next book she'll be teleporting or casting fireball! Bleh. There's a big difference between a lightsaber (a magic really sharp sword) and the force (first, it helps you aim. then, it lets you levitate stuff. by the third movie it's lightning bolts and jumping like a motherfucker).

From what I can tell, this sort of strictly defined rules stuff is more common in settings where magic is common and important. For instance the Wheel of Time has a really banal and transparant magic system, as do the Star Wars extended universe stuff where the force is more common. Authors who keep the magic to a minimum are probably trying to keep it mysterious and weird and awe inspiring, so they deliberately avoid consistency.

A good exception: Robin Hobb's fantasy trilogies are all set in quasi-medieval worlds where the only magic is various forms of telepathy, all of which are heavily foreshadowed and explained before they are introduced. From what I remember magic doesn't empower it's users all that much* but provides enough of a marginal benefit that controlling it is a major issue for the powers that control the setting, which makes for an interesting set up.

*the main character of the first trilogy is a warg and a poisoner, and the latter is far more useful to him than the former.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Yes, AFFC and ADWD are better than Abercrombie's stuff (but they are alright). Never understood why people enjoy his books so much.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Yes, AFFC and ADWD are better than Abercrombie's stuff (but they are alright). Never understood why people enjoy his books so much.

Its a matter of preference between:Urgh. Hurm. Gah. Unghhhh.

and: Myrish swamps,glistening slits, pink masts, and rough faux-rape.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is Abercrombie good or not? I want to read another fantasy, but the last non ASoIAF one I read was the first Assasin's Whatever by Robin Hobb, about 6 years ago, due the recommendations here, and it was loving dreadful.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Drunkboxer posted:

Let me tell you something about Battle Chess. Battle Chess owned.

Drunkboxer knows what's up.

Also, I just GIS'd Battle Chess, and realized that when I read these books back in grade 9 or whatever it was, I totally pictured Cersei as the queen on the box of Battle Chess that's zapping that dude, because we had Battle Chess on one of the school computers (or maybe I had it on my computer at home? gently caress, I dunno).

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Is Abercrombie good or not? I want to read another fantasy, but the last non ASoIAF one I read was the first Assasin's Whatever by Robin Hobb, about 6 years ago, due the recommendations here, and it was loving dreadful.

Even though GRRM is apparently a Hobb fan, Abercrombie is way more his style.

For what its worth, my enjoyment is roughly:
top tier: asoiaf, malazan
second tier: abercrombie, black company
----big, big drop off
third tier: canavan, hobb

e: loving autocomplete

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 7, 2011

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Fog Tripper posted:

To commemorate the occasion, something is happening outside.
Winter is coming.

:smith:

Same for me bro. Winter basically came today and as a result, traffic was almost as loving terrible and confusing as the plots in this series.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DirtyRobot posted:

Battle Chess talk
When I was six years old I used to play chess with my grandfather, and he'd be puzzled as to why I insisted on smashing the pieces against each other whenever there was a capture.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Fog Tripper posted:

Ah yes, Strong Belwas' most favorite snack NOM NOM NOM VOMIT.

I eagerly look forward to seeing Strong Belwas making GBS threads at a city.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Junkenstein posted:

He's ok. His style is totally different from Hobb or Gurm. He's part of that newer breed of fantasy author who doesn't really do much of the "ye olde thyme" affectation and takes a more modern approach to his fantasy.

Some things he does well, others kind of poorly. If you're interested the first book will pretty much tell you whether or not you will like him.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
While we're sharing stories, an ex sometimes imagined she was a prostitute I had hired. So yeah it's not inconceivable a woman would enjoy faux-rape. Get over it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Junkenstein posted:

He's much more succinct, but he does as good a job of crafting readable characters. Sand dan Glokta would fit right into Westeros, and probably end up ruling it within two books. That being said, the First Law trilogy is a breakneck speed compared to ASoIaF - you'll get through the trilogy faster than probably any single book in this series. The more I think of it, the less comparable they are. It's a bit like comparing LOTR to Chronicles of Narnia, in terms of pacing and style.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Maytag posted:

While we're sharing stories, an ex sometimes imagined she was a prostitute I had hired. So yeah it's not inconceivable a woman would enjoy faux-rape. Get over it.

That's not a very good story. You're not a very good storyteller. We're a little more concerned with males fantasies about rape and the overabundance of actual rape. Gor and buttboys notwithstanding.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah it's good, has some great, great characters.
If you're looking for a book with hugely complex political machinations and wheels within wheels within wheels, you'll be disappointed. I mean that stuff is there, but not to the degree that it is in ASOIAF. I guess the best parallel would be how ASOIAF would feel if the series focused almost solely on Jaime and Pycelle (a better analogy in some ways would be Sandor and Qyburn but those two aren't important enough to draw a real equivalence) and how they saw the world.

e: In fact, for people who like the political parts of ASOIAF the most, I recommend Shogun to them. Hugely entertaining story that almost feels like a fantasy given how different medieval Japan is to the history of Europe most of us grew up learning about.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 7, 2011

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Abercrombie created Glokta. Abercrombie is thusly awesome. He's not the most nuanced word-smith ever but he creates some truly kick rear end characters, is decent at plot, a fair world and actually releases like, a book a year or more! EDIT: also if you like black comedy there's more in Joe's work than you can shake a recently detached finger at.

I also like Robin Hobb's work a lot and would recommend that though the writing seems more clunky now, 15 years later, compared to some more of the modern fantasy we get. Lies of Locke Lamora was good... but it had... issues. And I've yet to find myself wanting to read book two.

Ravus fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 7, 2011

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Yeah it's good, has some great, great characters.
If you're looking for a book with hugely complex political machinations and wheels within wheels within wheels, you'll be disappointed.

Nah, I don't want another ASoIaF necessarily, and I don't have caveats about how much magic there is or whatever, I'd just like to enjoy another medieval fantasy that isn't ASoIaF. Going to give The Blade itself a go, as well as the Black Company. Not sure how I missed them as a teen, maybe because they weren't available in the UK.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Black Company is easy to miss because it seems like they only printed half a dozen copies of the actual books. Just try to find some on ebay or whatever, the prices are more rapey than Gurm when he hasn't had his morning pizzas. There were 2 or 3 omnibus reprints released relatively recently though, at least as of the last I knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Maytag posted:

Like Ghetto says, it's not that women don't have a large variety of tastes. The problem is that we've got a male author writing disturbing sex scenes about one of the only reasonable female characters in the book. It's not something he'd do with one of the male characters and it doesn't add anything to her character whatsoever, beyond fanservice.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and Jon gets raped by Melisandra, and you only find out half way through that he's actually enjoying it.

Junkenstein posted:

Nah, I don't want another ASoIaF necessarily, and I don't have caveats about how much magic there is or whatever, I'd just like to enjoy another medieval fantasy that isn't ASoIaF. Going to give The Blade itself a go, as well as the Black Company. Not sure how I missed them as a teen, maybe because they weren't available in the UK.

There are a few books I wouldn't recommend. Assassin's Apprentice is a bit rubbish in my opinion, it's not terrible but I never cared for the main character and parts of the book felt contrived. I just couldn't be bothered to start on the next one. Steel Remains felt like it was trying to hard, it's probably one of the only fantasy books with a gay main character, so I appreciated that, but everything the character did had to be tied in to the fact he was gay. I'm not uncomfortable with that as I'm gay myself but when the character feels like the author has asked himself "what sort of problems might a gay person face? Let's pump it up 10x including rape and torture!" It ends up being more of a step back from a decent gay character.

You can't go wrong with the Blade itself. Just remember it's the weakest in the series.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 7, 2011