Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skumby
Jul 5, 2007
I'm Skumby dammit!!!!!!!

n8r posted:

That's some grade A turd polishing you've got going on.

Dont be a dick. If he wants to spend $ upgrading the dated but reliable bike thats his call. Not everyone wants or can afford a plated race bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I have often though of converting or finding a big supermoto like that and I already have a plated race bike. It'd be good for soaking up miles while still affording the opportunity to ride like a jerk.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

That's some grade A turd

*stops to adjust valves and change oil for the 3rd time today*

polishing you've got going on.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/suzuki-drz-400/85321030

^^ can someone more knowledgeable on DRZs tell me which "bits or missing " from this bike, please?

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

polystyrus posted:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/suzuki-drz-400/85321030

^^ can someone more knowledgeable on DRZs tell me which "bits or missing " from this bike, please?

from what i can see, the lights from the instrument cluster, mirrors, lights and heat shield from exhaust are missing. maybe the useless stock skid plate as well.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

"[working title posted:

"]
from what i can see, the lights from the instrument cluster, mirrors, lights and heat shield from exhaust are missing. maybe the useless stock skid plate as well.

Heh, so a lot of stuff. I was going to go look at it anyway, but apparently it's been sold. Dunno why it popped up on my alerts, as the ad is a month old.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Went for a ride yesterday and found this road:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=44.274705,-124.008179&spn=0.208946,0.441513&t=h&z=11&vpsrc=6

Wonderful single lane twisty as gently caress road. Only down sides where it's dual direction so you have to take it pretty slow and it was absolutly filthy with dead pine needles and gravel. Would have been so much fun if it was a closed course and had been swept. As it was it was still a blast, sliding the rear all over the place at times. Wish I knew someone else on a SM local to go back and check out some of the other branches. Needs to be a SM or similar as there are some longish patches of fairly deep gravel that would be a mess on a sportbike or something.

Anyone in Corvallis?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'm thinking about going and offering this guy $3500 for the bike with both sets of wheels. Thoughts? What should I look for if I go see it? Anyone have experience riding these bikes?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/2588501333.html

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Unfortunately no pic, but I saw a guy on a 690SM on a fairly empty access road doing a wheelie while driving along at the speed limit, keeping the front wheel in the air the entire length of the road until he came to a stop. The casualness of it was hilarious. I want one.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I bought my drz a year and a half ago as my first bike. I always rode it rather boringly and then this summer picked up a vfr800. After putting 6000km on that porker in two weeks and getting back on the drz I think I finally get it.

I went out to pick up some groceries today and somehow ended up in the middle of the woods bombing down rocky/muddy trails, sideways half the time, clambering up soaked rocks, crossing rivers, etc. After getting back on the road I headed for a backroad where I decided it was time to learn to wheelie (which was shockingly easy).

I love this bike so much more now.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Are those mirrors stock? I'm getting tired of my big rear end square ones.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
They're from a dozen or so Aprilias/Moto Guzzis/etc. I got them from a piaggio dealer, I think they come stock on the mp3. They stick out further than the stock mirrors though, I've caught them on trees/the doors to the shed a few times now.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Niven posted:

They're from a dozen or so Aprilias/Moto Guzzis/etc. I got them from a piaggio dealer, I think they come stock on the mp3. They stick out further than the stock mirrors though, I've caught them on trees/the doors to the shed a few times now.

Thanks, I'll check em out. It's also nice to see we have the exact same little suzuki keychain thing haha.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I got the front Shinko :( balanced and the new chain on. The DRZ400e feels great I just need to wire up the Trail Tech Vapor now.

But first a question. I had a SM before with the standard rotor and now this E has the 320mm. I'm suddenly having a small issue with locking the front, is it the crap tire or the bigger rotor?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Empire Waffles posted:

I got the front Shinko :( balanced and the new chain on. The DRZ400e feels great I just need to wire up the Trail Tech Vapor now.

But first a question. I had a SM before with the standard rotor and now this E has the 320mm. I'm suddenly having a small issue with locking the front, is it the crap tire or the bigger rotor?

Probably a combo of both...more the crap tire than the big rotor though.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQDJVGaGurw&NR=1

Is fire coming from the exhaust just due to the straight pipes or is it a tuning thing?

Also this was in the SA Quotes thread:

October Revolution posted:

My vibrator broke.

Naramyth posted:

You just need to clean the carburetor.

I don't know what thread it was originally from but I like to think it came from here (or maybe the KLR thread).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Empire Waffles posted:

The SM brakes should be progressive enough that it wont lock the front without you making an effort to do so. I'm guessing tire.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Empire Waffles posted:

I've washed the front out a bit on mine with a pilot power front / EBC HH pads / stock rotor coming to a stop. I wouldn't expect it to happen at any higher speeds than ~10mph though and it was only once. Could've just been gravel I didn't see I guess.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
PGP is doing a free trial supermoto track day on the 23rd. 1-5pm, bring a MX, trail or street tard, do minimal stuff on sight, ride. Sounds like they may have race prepped demo bikes as well. Am going to try my hardest to either ride up from corvallis or beg a truck from a friend and go up with by bike in the back. Should be super rad. Everyone should go.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll likely be there. They'll probably have Ryan Pughs bike out to ride... mmmmm....

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Yeah it sounds rad. Really hoping I can get a truck from a friend because crashing up there and being stuck four hours from home would blow. I have friends at University of Puget Sound I can stay with, but really don't want to do the ride. The only friend with a truck has a bed cover on it that I dont think I could get my bike under. Has anyone transported a tard laying down in the bed? The cover is some crazy steel thing that weighs like 300 lbs and is a bitch to get on and off.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

henne posted:

Yeah it sounds rad. Really hoping I can get a truck from a friend because crashing up there and being stuck four hours from home would blow. I have friends at University of Puget Sound I can stay with, but really don't want to do the ride. The only friend with a truck has a bed cover on it that I dont think I could get my bike under. Has anyone transported a tard laying down in the bed? The cover is some crazy steel thing that weighs like 300 lbs and is a bitch to get on and off.
Rent a u-haul trailer for the weekend?

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I don't have a car either. I will look into a uhaul pickup though. Good idea.

Edit: Milage charges on a pickup would be ~$300. Not happening.

henne fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 6, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Freakin' awesome, is there/what is the price for the demo bikes? The closest thing I have to a MX bike right now is in pieces.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Henne, hit me up closer to the date on PM or email (username @ gmail.com). If I do indeed go I can give you a lift.

Slim: The demo bike is almost certainly Ryan's race prepped KTM 450 SMR, it wont be a 'rent it' kinda thing, more or less get in line, hop on and do some laps on probably the finest setup motorcycle any of us are like to ride for many many years.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

henne posted:

I don't have a car either. I will look into a uhaul pickup though. Good idea.

Edit: Milage charges on a pickup would be ~$300. Not happening.
I meant to tow behind your friend's truck.

Toppers don't matter with trailers.

Alternately, Enterprise in Corvallis has a Silverado/RAM truck for rent for $96++. Pick up at 9am, drop off 9pm.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 6, 2011

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Henne, hit me up closer to the date on PM or email (username @ gmail.com). If I do indeed go I can give you a lift.

Slim: The demo bike is almost certainly Ryan's race prepped KTM 450 SMR, it wont be a 'rent it' kinda thing, more or less get in line, hop on and do some laps on probably the finest setup motorcycle any of us are like to ride for many many years.

I'll probably go. Checked SMJ, there will be four demo bikes, all provided by Ryan. So that would be his and his dad's race bikes, and their back-up bikes, I think. I would really like to see what a ¿60hp? 450SMR feels like. (Probably a lot like highsiding)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I wonder if they'll run the dirt section on the demo day. Inviting newbs to ride a 60hp sumo in dirt seems a little cruel.

Where are you located Henne? I have a trailer. I plan on being there.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Corvallis, Or. Just off OSU campus. My friend with the truck is a photog so maybe I can talk him into taking some sweet pictures. Gonna chat with him today and see if i could get his truck or get him to come with.

I'm prolly not gonna ride the demo bikes. Going from a 35HP DRZ that outweighs a 60HP race bike would be suicide. Gonna try to get new tires on the bike, swap headlight for number plate I have somewhere, and pull the indicators. No safety wiring or water wetter needed or should I do that as well. Catch cans?

Contiforce SMs for tires? I know Z3n likes the supercorsas or something, but everything else I've hear says buy the contis.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I've heard everyone say contiforce's for dry, or pilot powers for any wet. I'll be trying out contiforce's next time I need tires but so far I've been ok with the powers.

Is it just me or is it really easy to spin up the rear pilot power? I can definitely spin it up on asphalt pretty easy on tight turns on just surface streets just gassing it through the turn. Coming from a sport bike this is something I was really surprised by but now I kinda embrace it and play around all the time. I'm running 28/26 F/R so it's not like my pressures are really high or something.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Coniforce if you live in an area with weather & want a tire for everything.

Perelli supercorsas if you live in california

Slicks with grooves if you're a bad enough dude to rescue the president

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I'll grab the contiforces then. Can I change it like an oversized bike tire with spoons and clamps?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

I wonder if they'll run the dirt section on the demo day. Inviting newbs to ride a 60hp sumo in dirt seems a little cruel.

Where are you located Henne? I have a trailer. I plan on being there.

It says the dirt will be open if it's dry.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Something went and followed me home this evening.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
The L plate sells it.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

KARMA! posted:

The L plate sells it.

Don't know what you're looking at but there's no L plate, there's rego up front and a license plate on back (needs a tail tidy), but that's it

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
It's a plate with an L on it, that's enough for me to laugh.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
Finally got my DRZ put back together. Mostly maintenance stuff after almost two years of sitting, along with an FCR carb and MRD pipe.

Holy poo poo I forgot how much I missed this bike, been more fun than a barrel of coked up monkeys so far and I've been taking it easy due to lovely weather and new tires. Can't get this stupid grin off my face, and I don't think my neighbors like me anymore.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Once again, I am swinging back and forth between keeping the bandit, and trading it for a DRZSM.

Posts like that dont help :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm almost positive a DRZ is more fun than a bandit.

• Locked thread