Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

quote:

xovaan Posted

I took the MSC and found it extremely easy and enjoyable (and full of very useful knowledge) and I've driven a manual car for a very long time. A friend of mine who has been riding for many years with tons of experience supports it as a first bike (He himself had one and loved it a lot but now rides a new BMW 1000cc sport bike)

I already have a jacket, pants, boots, and gloves.

I'm looking for good mechanics over cosmetics, but I'm in Santa Cruz and every option online so far has been "this is my baby it's never been dropped it's amazing it can make you coffee AND has a built in fleshlight 4k firm no lowballers"

I'm not in a hurry to get a bike though so I'm gonna keep looking for good deals that pop up. These are some of the options I've found so far that aren't ludicrously overpriced:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2619277349.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2618933457.html

And everything else starts at 4k. Why is this area so expensive.

Those are the same bike? I'd go offer the guy 2300 cash and see what happens. People often get pretty optimistic with the prices of SV's hoping new riders will pay whatever they ask - at least from what I've seen.

You'll be surprised how much people will budge on the price. Usually if you simply ask about price people get flustered and will go 100+ lower easy. More prodding / pointing out things that need fixed or replaced will usually drop the price at least another 100 or more depending on what it needs. It will make you feel like kind of a dick but as long as you're pointing out legitimate things it's justified.

EDIT - New page, I guess I should've quoted..

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

I took the MSC and found it extremely easy and enjoyable (and full of very useful knowledge) and I've driven a manual car for a very long time. A friend of mine who has been riding for many years with tons of experience supports it as a first bike (He himself had one and loved it a lot but now rides a new BMW 1000cc sport bike)

I already have a jacket, pants, boots, and gloves.

I'm looking for good mechanics over cosmetics, but I'm in Santa Cruz and every option online so far has been "this is my baby it's never been dropped it's amazing it can make you coffee AND has a built in fleshlight 4k firm no lowballers"

I'm not in a hurry to get a bike though so I'm gonna keep looking for good deals that pop up. These are some of the options I've found so far that aren't ludicrously overpriced:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2619277349.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2618933457.html

And everything else starts at 4k. Why is this area so expensive. :smith:

Not pretty, but nicely modded here:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/2630220573.html
Or this guy:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2620660383.html
Salvage:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2625478743.html
Cheapie gen 1, probably could get it for a grand:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2624321896.html
Nice N model, offer 2k
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2612237597.html

You've got one of the best bike markets in the US in the Bay.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

JP Money posted:

Those are the same bike? I'd go offer the guy 2300 cash and see what happens. People often get pretty optimistic with the prices of SV's hoping new riders will pay whatever they ask - at least from what I've seen.

You'll be surprised how much people will budge on the price. Usually if you simply ask about price people get flustered and will go 100+ lower easy. More prodding / pointing out things that need fixed or replaced will usually drop the price at least another 100 or more depending on what it needs. It will make you feel like kind of a dick but as long as you're pointing out legitimate things it's justified.

EDIT - New page, I guess I should've quoted..

Hahaha, I didn't even realize it until I got back from class and checked it. I meant to post the silver one with the broken speedometer. :psyduck:

I'm hoping for fuel injection and not a fixer-upper because it will be my main method of transportation for class and travel and I don't want to have to spend ten minutes getting my bike started like my friend has to do with his Bandit when it's 40 degrees outside. Of course if you guys can convince me otherwise I'm definitely open to a swaying of this opinion since I'm only speaking from anecdotal experience.

What would be the downside of getting a salvage title bike? And what do you guys think is the problem with the speedometer on the silver bike?

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Finally got my lowsided, new-to-me K5 fully assembled and ready to go. As of a few days ago, before I reinstalled OEM rear plastic (fender eliminator kit eliminator kit?):

But no dice. :negative:

It won't crank - all electronics work, but nothing happens when I hit the starter (aside from the headlight dimming, of course). I'm going to test the tip-over sensor resistance tomorrow, but is there a standard failure mode to look for here? The last time I fired the bike up was in June or so, before I tore the controls and bodywork all to pieces. For the time being, it's sitting with a battery tender pending another attempt.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Make sure its not something stupid like the kickstand and/or clutch sensor

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Clutch sensor wasn't plugged in. I'm madly in love with you.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

OneOverZero posted:

Clutch sensor wasn't plugged in. I'm madly in love with you.

Don't worry about it man. When I got my SV home from buying it and took it out of the truck, it refused to start.

When the PO helped me strap it down, he accidentally unplugged the clutch sensor. Took me 30 minutes sitting in the driveway freezing my rear end off going "UHHHHHHHHHHH BUT I SWEAR IT STARTED LIKE 4 HOURS AGO"

e: I commute about 500 miles a week, not including any trips or fun things. Any recommendations for long-lasting tires that aren't completely terrible?

invision fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 6, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

invision posted:

e: I commute about 500 miles a week, not including any trips or fun things. Any recommendations for long-lasting tires that aren't completely terrible?

I've been real happy with pilot road 2 or 2ct's. Get good mileage out of them commuting and still stuck good enough for a track day.

Need to start recording this stuff but I think fronts are lasting around 15k and rears 7-8k

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 6, 2011

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've been real happy with pilot road 2 or 2ct's. Get good mileage out of them commuting and still stuck good enough for a track day.

Need to start recording this stuff but I think fronts are lasting around 15k and rears 7-8k

seconding pilot roads, had one on my rear for the past 10k and its kicked rear end

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Xovaan posted:

Hahaha, I didn't even realize it until I got back from class and checked it. I meant to post the silver one with the broken speedometer. :psyduck:

I'm hoping for fuel injection and not a fixer-upper because it will be my main method of transportation for class and travel and I don't want to have to spend ten minutes getting my bike started like my friend has to do with his Bandit when it's 40 degrees outside. Of course if you guys can convince me otherwise I'm definitely open to a swaying of this opinion since I'm only speaking from anecdotal experience.

What would be the downside of getting a salvage title bike? And what do you guys think is the problem with the speedometer on the silver bike?

In good shape it shouldn't take 10 minutes to get the bike started. My 91 ZX600 easily started in 20-30F weather when I was first learning how to ride and that thing had hosed up carbs. You might give it a slightly different warmup period, but it should still be fine.

Now if you have two bikes in similar pricerange, get the FI model ;)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I don't really have anything to compare them to (well, on an SV at least,) but I have Pilot Road 2's on my SV and they seem awesome.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Should I go -1 in the front? Help me make life decisions, internet strangers.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Yes. -1 up 2 if you can handle the reduced top end. You won't regret it.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
-1/+2 is astoundingly fun. Do it.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

-1/+2 is astoundingly fun. Do it.

Describe "astoundingly fun". :colbert:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

invision posted:

wooooooooaaaaahhhh nellie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0VC9Vmw6wc

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

invision posted:

Should I go -1 in the front? Help me make life decisions, internet strangers.

On an sv650 I like stock gearing, but -1 is cheap and easy, give it a shot.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

On an sv650 I like stock gearing, but -1 is cheap and easy, give it a shot.

Same here, for street and daily use stock seems just about perfect. 6k~80mph and pulls plenty for most legal purposes.

Wondering what people run at the track though. I could see -1,+2 at a real tight track but not sure about more open tracks.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

invision posted:

My 2005 SV650 has a stock sprocket setup but has a Power Commander, K&N filter, chopped Yoshimura muffler, modded engine cams, and ATRE, and was dyno-tuned...

yet my 2000 SV650 with -1/+2 and stock everything else engine-wise, is faster. It's like an explosive bullet every time I turn the throttle.

I cackle to myself whenever I ride the thing, while I don't on the 2005. Amazing what sprockets can do.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 8, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've been reading "Ducati Monster vs. SV650" threads across various forums using Google, but can't quite figure out if CA or this thread has any definitive or stock response to that question.

As mentioned in the "what bike?" thread, my Honda CB250 Nighthawk that I use heavily as a city errand-running bike and occasional commuter, got stolen this weekend in DC. Long story about liability, local landlord might owe me a bike, etc. I'm looking to replace it, and wanted something similarly compact and light for city streets, but with more than just 20hp. Wanting something that can do 2-up for dates, and a riding position more upright than most sportbikes.

The Monster and the naked SV650 both have a great look that's modern yet retains some of the lines of the WWII-ish bikes (the exposed headlight, etc), free of expensive fairings, not unduly flashy (depending on model). Though there seems some wiggle on this, they seem to be close to Standards vice Sport, and I've read at least one bit saying the SV650 (not "S") is insured as a Standard.

They're both pretty light (355 dry for the 696, and both the SV650N and 600 are something like 375). The 600 has only 50ish hp, the 696 80hp, and the SV650 something like 73, but all of those are way above the CB250.

At this point, I'm having a hard time talking myself out of the Monster, and even a rather used 600 sounds appealing, or fork more cash for a slightly used 696 (only been out since 2007). They just really look smaller/handier than the 650, better lines (to my eyes), etc. I've heard Ducati owners claim they're not really that much more expensive to ensure, are pretty affordable used, aren't necessarily more likely to be stolen (since an SV650 is so easy to part out due to popularity), and that the dreaded maintenance is barely any harder except having to get your valves checked by the shop every 6k miles (and that's mainly if you're riding it hard). So I've heard the pro-Monster rebuttals.

There are quite a few Monsters parked in my (gentrifying) neighborhood, so it appears to be a popular bike for DC's wealthy pseudo-hipster government employee set. My main concerns are just whether the position is going to be uncomfortably far forward compared to the Nighthawk and the Bonneville I've ridden. Minor concern that the passenger seating seems very minimal (but I'm 5'6" and date short girls). Just writing in to see if a pro-SV650 thread has prepared statements or must-read links to get me off considering Ducati and onto a Kawasaki, or if the forum consensus is that the Monster is a legit bike if you accept certain drawbacks compared to the SV650.

They are pretty undeniably awesome looking bikes though:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"At this point, I'm having a hard time talking myself out of the Monster,"

If you want a Monster, buy a Monster. Motorcycles are almost all inherently impractical. You will regret buying something that you're not in love with.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Isn't maintenance on the Ducati going to be a bitch?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Probably not, since it'll be broken down too often for him to accumulate any mileage on it. :v:

I don't know if this silly stereotype applies to the Monster.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How's the maintenance on Suzukis, anyway? Pretty straightforward?

I can take apart my entire Volvo 240 and put it back together with a set of sockets and a manual for reference.

Bike hunt still continues. No responses from any of the sellers right now. :sigh:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Monster vs SV - it would have to be the 696 to make me even consider it over the SV. The SV makes good usable power, I think I would get over the 50hp model pretty quick (though it would still be a nice boost from a 250) and regret not getting the faster one off the bat.

Stock suspension on the SV sucks balls .. no seriously, after even modest changes its so much better its unbelievable. If you're not interested in doing those mods, or buying pre-modded and have it adjusted for your weight then I'd probably look closer at the Ducati (I'm assuming it has better suspension, I dont really know. Im just assuming Ducati wouldn't cheap out as much on that as Suzuki did) just for that reason.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Xovaan posted:

How's the maintenance on Suzukis, anyway? Pretty straightforward?

I can take apart my entire Volvo 240 and put it back together with a set of sockets and a manual for reference.

Bike hunt still continues. No responses from any of the sellers right now. :sigh:

Maintenance on an SV is a dream. I've never done any sort of real mechanical work, and I've ripped the bike apart plenty - done an oil change, carbs, replaced stock R/R, spark plugs, coolant flush. It's stupidly easy.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's what I like to hear!

Student loan goes through on the 12th and then I'm gonna get me some reliable transportation that doesn't get 16mpg. :woop:

Plus, you know, riding around Northern California will be loving amazing. I can't wait to visit one of my best friends in Napa again. The money I'll save on gas is gonna treat me to Ad Hoc. :)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Blah blah Ducati

if you get a 1999-2002 SV650 Naked, and replace the front fork springs and oil with better oil and springs ($110) toss on a Ninja rear shock ($50), and put on a R6 throttle tube ($7-12), you'll have a supreme commuter machine that's fun as hell in DC traffic, cheaper than Ducatis, easier to maintain in the long run, and provide a more comfortable ride for passengers than that wee tail in that picture.

I think this looks just as handsome as any duck:

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 11, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GanjamonII posted:

Monster vs SV - it would have to be the 696 to make me even consider it over the SV. The SV makes good usable power, I think I would get over the 50hp model pretty quick (though it would still be a nice boost from a 250) and regret not getting the faster one off the bat.

Stock suspension on the SV sucks balls .. no seriously, after even modest changes its so much better its unbelievable. If you're not interested in doing those mods, or buying pre-modded and have it adjusted for your weight then I'd probably look closer at the Ducati (I'm assuming it has better suspension, I dont really know. Im just assuming Ducati wouldn't cheap out as much on that as Suzuki did) just for that reason.

This is pretty much the gist of it.

I'd just add that it's quite possible to find nicely modded SV650s that don't have any of the suspension issues...GSX-R front end, swapped or aftermarket rear shock, etc, and they can be way cheaper than the 696 is gonna be. The real advantage on the 696 is that it's a pretty duc, the rest of it can be and often has been addressed by POs on the SVs.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So these are the bikes I'm looking at over the weekend...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2644686059.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2638377063.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2607606850.html

The last guy is pretty firm on the price and one of the top ones needs a front tire but they are mechanically perfect.

Are the prices pretty decent or should I haggle?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually the first and second both need new front tires (and possibly rear) since those are the stockers on six year old bikes.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
1st one looks like it might have been dropped on its right side.

As they're 2005-2006 models, a good price would be around $2700-3000 IF they're in tiptop shape. $3500 would be too much. I paid a $3500 for a 2005 model this recent spring only because it had a veritable buttload of upgrades and ALL records of maintenance and came from a knowledgeable mechanic. So I was allright with paying the premium.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Those of you who have swapped your throttle tube for something more aggressive, did you also do the TPS mod to smooth out power delivery at lower throttle amounts?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Why are prices so horribly inflated around the bay area?

The lowest they said they'd go is $3500 each. :(

I can't travel too far to get a bike. An hour or two max.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Xovaan posted:

Usually I don't start haggling until I go to look at the bike and point out all the things wrong with it, it seems rude to just call and say hey I'm only paying this much. When people do that to me without learning at all about the bike I tell them to justify why they feel it's worth that little.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2625478743.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcd/2646095570.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2643113993.html

Also, this:

bladesamurai posted:

Usually I don't start haggling until I go to look at the bike and point out all the things wrong with it, it seems rude to just call and say hey I'm only paying this much. When people do that to me without learning at all about the bike I tell them to justify why they feel it's worth that little.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I asked them if they've checked the valves and how the tread on the tires is and they gave me prices based on that. One of the bikes is coming up on a 15k interval and if they need to be done then it's a pretty hefty fix. I don't normally haggle until I've seen what I'm buying but my car only gets 16mpg so after a few trips it isn't even worth it anymore.

I'm in Santa Cruz which is why those didn't come up on my local search. Thanks, Z3n! You're around this area, right? Would you want to make a weekend of it and go check some stuff out? I promise I won't kill you.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Also it's a lot harder for someone to turn down your offer when you're holding a wad of hundred dollar bills right in front of them :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hahaha, yeah, that's true too.

Also, I'm wary of the bike with a salvage title. Why on earth would it have a salvage title? I feel like he's also asking way too much in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I asked them if they've checked the valves and how the tread on the tires is and they gave me prices based on that. One of the bikes is coming up on a 15k interval and if they need to be done then it's a pretty hefty fix. I don't normally haggle until I've seen what I'm buying but my car only gets 16mpg so after a few trips it isn't even worth it anymore.

I'm in Santa Cruz which is why those didn't come up on my local search. Thanks, Z3n! You're around this area, right? Would you want to make a weekend of it and go check some stuff out? I promise I won't kill you.

There's also this option:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382922

I'd be willing to go check it out but I'm still down in Santa Barbara. I'll be moving back to the Bay sometime around January.

Xovaan posted:

Hahaha, yeah, that's true too.

Also, I'm wary of the bike with a salvage title. Why on earth would it have a salvage title? I feel like he's also asking way too much in this case.

He's asking a bit much but I bet that $2400 in hundreds is a great motivator.

• Locked thread