Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

~Coxy posted:

Again, I'm not trying to be obnoxious here but I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy that Filco? Sure you'd have to spend 5 minutes setting up the keys in Sys Prefs...

Doesn't it cost over $300?

E: nm I was looking at another model

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kapalama posted:

There is a wired tenkey less Apple keyboard already, made by Apple.
This guy, to be exact.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB869LL-A-Keyboard/dp/B001UH4VFW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1317880305&sr=8-12

Also, I think I'm in a minority here but I absolutely do not understand people spending gobs of money on big loud mechanical switch keyboards.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

kapalama posted:

There is a wired tenkeyless Apple keyboard already, made by Apple. It may not be sold in the continental US (I don't live there), but I have used the Wired Apple keyboard without a key pad. Looks just like the bluetooth one but with a cable. I am sure time spent on eBay will get one sent to you, since the votes are split on it.

Or am I missing what you are saying?

Those aren't mechanical keyboards.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

fleshweasel posted:

This guy, to be exact.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB869LL-A-Keyboard/dp/B001UH4VFW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1317880305&sr=8-12

Also, I think I'm in a minority here but I absolutely do not understand people spending gobs of money on big loud mechanical switch keyboards.

Is there a picture of that one somewhere? (Maybe my internet is problematic, but I can never find the picture of it.)

Mu Zeta posted:

Those aren't mechanical keyboards.

Milo Pollywater asked for a wired tenkeyless apple keyboard. Not a mechanical one.

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Absolutely. Been hoping for a wired Apple tenkeyless, drives me nuts to replace the AAs every couple months.

Others asked about mechanical, Milo already uses the chiclet, just wants to stop replacing batteries, he said. That's why I quoted and answered him. I too want to trade my ten key having chiclet for a ten key not having chiclet myself, but I have no interest in wireless keyboards.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 6, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

~Coxy posted:

Again, I'm not trying to be obnoxious here but I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy that Filco? Sure you'd have to spend 5 minutes setting up the keys in Sys Prefs...

It's the principle of the thing! We shouldn't have to run some kind of third party program to get brightness keys mapped to the F-row. You can swap the option and command keys in sys prefs, but everything else you need something like BetterTouchTool.

As for the wired Apple mini keyboard, it's a pretty different deal from a mechanical switch keyboard. Also, I already have a Bluetooth mini keyboard (as does just about anyone that owns a desktop Mac nowadays.)

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

kapalama posted:

There is a wired tenkeyless Apple keyboard already, made by Apple. It may not be sold in the continental US (I don't live there), but I have used the Wired Apple keyboard without a key pad. Looks just like the bluetooth one but with a cable. I am sure time spent on eBay will get one sent to you, since the votes are split on it.

Or am I missing what you are saying?

(Edit: sure enough, it is not on the US site. Well finally something you mainlanders cannot get that I can.)

Whoa. Don't know how I missed this. Though there's only one on eBay right now. These are actually in production and available on a foreign Apple site? All the Canadian sites (3rd party Apple vendors) list it as no longer available, which makes me think Apple deep-sixed a great product in the name of being more magical & wireless.

Personally I don't have a huge preference as to chiclet/mechanical, I suppose I prefer chiclet as it's the same feel as the Macbook Air I use. Although a laptop with a buckling spring keyboard would be quite the sight...

Milo Pollywalter fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 6, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

movax posted:

I thought some of the earlier WiFi chipsets simply lacked the hardware/software required for the subset of 802.11n features that Apple uses to implement AirDrop?
Yeah, but that plist hack basically enables AirDrop magic over any interface. The previous poster said "on the network", as in you have to be on the same LAN to work, vs just being in the physical vicinity with AirDrop.

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Whoa. Don't know how I missed this. Though there's only one on eBay right now. These are actually in production and available on a foreign Apple site? All the Canadian sites (3rd party Apple vendors) list it as no longer available, which makes me think Apple deep-sixed a great product in the name of being more magical & wireless.

Personally I don't have a huge preference as to chiclet/mechanical, I suppose I prefer chiclet as it's the same feel as the Macbook Air I use. Although a laptop with a buckling spring keyboard would be quite the sight...
I know that at least for the US they made it for a while (I got one way back) but killed it off some time ago, I think a few months.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Milo Pollywalter posted:

I only see things that are old.

My main thing about the 10 key having keyboard is that it does not match my MBP keyboard which I use most of the time. I have just put my external in a box.

I will never n ot use a chiclet keyboard again. I hate menchanical keyboards.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Buddy of mine has a 2008 mac pro (the tower, not the book) thats rebooting before getting to the login/desktop. Seems like its rebooting on the apple logo screen. Should I start pulling memory sticks to see if one of them is bad? Is this tell tale of something else?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 6, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they killed it when Lion came out, since only the 10-key got updated to the new Lion f-key layout.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

Buddy of mine has a 2008 mac pro (the tower, not the book) thats rebooting before getting to the login/desktop. Seems like its rebooting on the apple logo screen. Should I start pulling memory sticks to see if one of them is bad? Is this tell tale of something else?

Could be bad RAM, bad hard drive, logic board, processor card failure.. try pulling sticks but it'd be better to take it to a Fruit Stand if it's still in warranty. Also remember those sticks HAVE to be installed in pairs...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Could be bad RAM, bad hard drive, logic board, processor card failure.. try pulling sticks but it'd be better to take it to a Fruit Stand if it's still in warranty. Also remember those sticks HAVE to be installed in pairs...

Out of warranty. I installed the sticks originally and it was working for over a year.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Out of warranty. I installed the sticks originally and it was working for over a year.

Here's a guide to putting in chips on the MacPro 2008, make sure you follow it:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacPro_Early2008_MemoryDIMM_DIY.pdf

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
I have a MacBook 2.2ghz running 10.6 with 2GB of RAM. It's slow, which I realize has to do with it just getting older and falling behind, but would it do me any good to upgrade to 4 GB of ram? It'd be 50 bucks for the upgrade. Would it be a big difference?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah Lion definitely seems to benefit a lot with the jump to 4GB. If you're looking to improve responsiveness and make your MacBook feel better than new, a reasonably-priced SSD can be the best possible upgrade.

I'd still do the RAM upgrade now though, and maybe the SSD down the line.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Milo Pollywalter posted:

These used to be available in the US. We've got one in the office, but I can't get any more from my usual sources.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Geek USSR posted:

I have a MacBook 2.2ghz running 10.6 with 2GB of RAM. It's slow, which I realize has to do with it just getting older and falling behind, but would it do me any good to upgrade to 4 GB of ram? It'd be 50 bucks for the upgrade. Would it be a big difference?

If you have a 2.2 GHz processor it's at least a late 2007 model and therefore can take up to 6 GB of RAM. I have that much in my mid-2009 MacBook at it runs much better than it ever did at just 2. 6 GB isn't supported by Apple though, so if you ever have to take it in for repair put the original 2 GB back in.

Also if you can't afford an SSD then get a nice fast 7200 RPM hard drive with a 16 MB cache and that'll also be a nice bump from the stock 5400 RPMs Apple provides.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
Alright, I'm looking at getting a lower-end (i5) MBP in the next few weeks, but I have a couple questions first:

1. I've got an older iMac (iMac 7,1) as my desktop. According to Apple, this won't be supported for AirDrop. If they're on the same network, would I be able to wirelessly transfer files? As I understand it, the thing with AirDrop is that it doesn't require the computers to be hooked up to the same network.

1.a. On that note, is there any way to convince AirDrop to work for my iMac, despite it being older and not officially supported? Obviously I'd have to upgrade to Lion (currently on Snow Leopard), but after that...?

2. I'm mostly planning on using the MBP as a general email/internet/writing papers computer; I don't intend to do any heavy movie editing or anything. At the same time, I may be interested in a bit of gaming (think TF2). Would the i5 model suffice for this? If not, would it be better to shoot for an i7 or upgrade the RAM?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ieatsoap6 posted:

1. I've got an older iMac (iMac 7,1) as my desktop. According to Apple, this won't be supported for AirDrop. If they're on the same network, would I be able to wirelessly transfer files? As I understand it, the thing with AirDrop is that it doesn't require the computers to be hooked up to the same network.

You can still transfer stuff over the network using wifi (or ethernet). You just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

ieatsoap6 posted:

2. I'm mostly planning on using the MBP as a general email/internet/writing papers computer; I don't intend to do any heavy movie editing or anything. At the same time, I may be interested in a bit of gaming (think TF2). Would the i5 model suffice for this? If not, would it be better to shoot for an i7 or upgrade the RAM?

If you ge the 13", you're going to be stuck with HD3000 so don't bother upgrading to 8GB or the i7. The 15" will be upgraded from the 256MB 6490M to 1GB 6750M by getting the higher-end i7

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 7, 2011

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Binary Badger posted:

Also if you can't afford an SSD then get a nice fast 7200 RPM hard drive with a 16 MB cache and that'll also be a nice bump from the stock 5400 RPMs Apple provides.

on that note, what's the best hard drive for the MBP, given that I want something with as much (or more) storage space as the stock (750GB) one? I've been looking at this one and the only thing that seems bad is the decreased battery life, but I'm fine with that if there's no better alternatives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

computer parts posted:

on that note, what's the best hard drive for the MBP, given that I want something with as much (or more) storage space as the stock (750GB) one? I've been looking at this one and the only thing that seems bad is the decreased battery life, but I'm fine with that if there's no better alternatives.

The 5400 RPM 1TB WD Blue is almost the same speed for the same price.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

ieatsoap6 posted:

1.a. On that note, is there any way to convince AirDrop to work for my iMac, despite it being older and not officially supported? Obviously I'd have to upgrade to Lion (currently on Snow Leopard), but after that...?

Some people on other sites have been able to order OEM Broadcom mini-PCIe cards in this list and replaced them inside their Macs to get AirDrop functionality. Kinda an extreme way to go just to get one software feature working, but whatever floats your boats..

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ieatsoap6 posted:

Alright, I'm looking at getting a lower-end (i5) MBP in the next few weeks, but I have a couple questions first:

Honestly knowing your intended usage I'd really go after a MacBook Air instead. Faster drive, slower CPU, higher resolution (compared to the 13-inch model) and massively more portable.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
Thanks for the answers!

mediaphage posted:

Honestly knowing your intended usage I'd really go after a MacBook Air instead. Faster drive, slower CPU, higher resolution (compared to the 13-inch model) and massively more portable.

I've looked into it, but I'd like an optical drive, portability isn't a super big issue for me, and the price for the 13" 256GB version is a bit out of my range, I think.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Binary Badger posted:

If you have a 2.2 GHz processor it's at least a late 2007 model and therefore can take up to 6 GB of RAM. I have that much in my mid-2009 MacBook at it runs much better than it ever did at just 2. 6 GB isn't supported by Apple though, so if you ever have to take it in for repair put the original 2 GB back in.

Just throwing my anecdote in here, but depending on the type of repair (or more likely the genius), they may not care. My Macbook 2,1 had 3GB of RAM when I took it in for top case replacement and no one even mentioned it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Space Racist posted:

Just throwing my anecdote in here, but depending on the type of repair (or more likely the genius), they may not care. My Macbook 2,1 had 3GB of RAM when I took it in for top case replacement and no one even mentioned it.

If you took it in for motherboard/graphics issues they might though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bob Morales posted:

The 5400 RPM 1TB WD Blue is almost the same speed for the same price.

It turns out that drive was already in my wishlist. :shobon:

Thanks!

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ieatsoap6 posted:

I've looked into it, but I'd like an optical drive

Is it something you need all the time on the go? I mean the price issue is fair, but I would point out you can get a fully USB powered external CD drive for like 30-40 bucks now.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Juriko posted:

Is it something you need all the time on the go? I mean the price issue is fair, but I would point out you can get a fully USB powered external CD drive for like 30-40 bucks now.

Mostly I'd like to have the availability. If I'm traveling and want to watch a DVD or something, then I don't also want to have to carry around a CD drive. The price of the Air itself is my biggest issue, though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bob Morales posted:

If you ge the 13", you're going to be stuck with HD3000 so don't bother upgrading to 8GB or the i7. The 15" will be upgraded from the 256MB 6490M to 1GB 6750M by getting the higher-end i7

For the 13" MBP, I agree with not upgrading to the i7, but disagree on the 8 GB part - 8 GB of RAM is so cheap now, and upgrading from the 4 GB stock to 8 GB also increases the allocated system ram for the GPU from 384MB to 512MB.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SourKraut posted:

For the 13" MBP, I agree with not upgrading to the i7, but disagree on the 8 GB part - 8 GB of RAM is so cheap now, and upgrading from the 4 GB stock to 8 GB also increases the allocated system ram for the GPU from 384MB to 512MB.

Pretty sure he meant don't bother paying Apple to upgrade to 8GB. If not, I agree with you though, 8GB of RAM is so cheap it won't hurt to max out.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

movax posted:

Pretty sure he meant don't bother paying Apple to upgrade to 8GB. If not, I agree with you though, 8GB of RAM is so cheap it won't hurt to max out.
Ah, good point - I'd definitely never tell anyone to pay Apple for it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ieatsoap6 posted:

As long as they're on the same network you can try this trick to enable AirDrop automagic stuff over other network connections. Keep in mind the possible security implications it mentions there when you're away from your home network, or you can just enable it on the iMac (there's a note about that too).

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
How feasible is running bootcamp to play games on a Mac? Be it a MBP or iMac?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
exactly as feasible as running Windows on the same spec hardware would be...
what are you trying to ask?

If you want to know how a particular game runs you will need to name your hardware at least.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

~Coxy posted:

exactly as feasible as running Windows on the same spec hardware would be...
what are you trying to ask?

If you want to know how a particular game runs you will need to name your hardware at least.

Yeah sorry that was pretty vague. I just got a MBP with these spes:

2.2 Quad core i7
4GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

Would this be powerful enough to run current gen games on max settings? I'm kind of confused whether or not running windows on my mac will be the same speed, slower, etc.

I am not smart

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I have an Apple Remote that came with my late 2007 MacBook, and I want to couple it to my 2011 iMac now. So far, I can't get it to work at all: the MacBook responds to it perfectly, but the iMac doesn't do anything. Infrared options under the "security" preference pane are enabled, so that's not it. Is there anything I'm missing?

Edit: allright, now it's responding all of a sudden, but I still can't couple it properly. And the menu-button doesn't do anything, which is unusual.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 8, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apparition posted:

I'm kind of confused whether or not running windows on my mac will be the same speed, slower, etc.
Windows on a Mac is Windows on a PC. Just be sure to grab the newer Catalyst drivers than what Boot Camp comes with and you'll be fine.

And no it probably won't run it on max settings, but most Sandy Bridge MBP reviews did gaming tests. You should be able to find some impressions online.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Apparition posted:

Would this be powerful enough to run current gen games on max settings? I'm kind of confused whether or not running windows on my mac will be the same speed, slower, etc.

I haven't really tried newer games yet (I'm still cathing up on things like Mass Effect 2), but so far I can play games flawlessly with all the graphics settings on the highest possible level and a pretty huge resolution. (But I do have the 2GB graphics card option, don't know if that does a lot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jolan posted:

(But I do have the 2GB graphics card option, don't know if that does a lot.)
It doesn't. It's really only useful if you have dozens of gigantic RAW files open in Photoshop at once. In which case, it's fantastic!