Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Yes. I called retentions and they let me buy out my contract for my current pro-rated ETF due to the Sprint Premiere gold/silver change that happened last year. I'll be annoyed if someone else manages to get an early upgrade without paying out for it, but I dislike my current phone enough that it's worth it to me to get in on the iPhone.

I'm so glad I got to stick with Sprint and get the iPhone upgrade with only a small fortune instead of a large one. After checking ATT and Verizon plans, I don't see any way I could get away with a plan that was less than $90-100 per month vs my current $62. Here's hoping Sprint can keep up their great plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It would not surprise me in the least if the new Iphones for Verizon/Sprint lack a SIM slot...

Achmed Jones posted:

CDMA networks don't use SIM cards, so that would be quite reasonable.
The 4S is a world phone, so it sorta has to have a SIM slot.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The 4S is a world phone

I did not know that, thanks for the correction!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Didnt att offer like all current customers subsidy-costed iphone3gs when they first came out if they reupped? Because that would be awesome if sprint did that.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

beergod posted:

Didnt att offer like all current customers subsidy-costed iphone3gs when they first came out if they reupped? Because that would be awesome if sprint did that.
I think that was just for iPhone 3G customers though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

datajosh posted:

I think that was just for iPhone 3G customers though.
It wasn't. I was only 11 months into a 3GS contract and AT&T gave me fully-subsidy on the 4 early. They were trying to lock in as many customers as they could because they knew that they were losing iPhone exclusivity.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

It wasn't. I was only 11 months into a 3GS contract and AT&T gave me fully-subsidy on the 4 early. They were trying to lock in as many customers as they could because they knew that they were losing iPhone exclusivity.

And i suppose sprint doesnt have that incentive bc the iphone + sprint package is clearly the best of the three options

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The 4S is a world phone, so it sorta has to have a SIM slot.

Yes, the fact that it has a GSM+CDMA antenna means it is completely impossible they could do any of the half-dozen things I (as a non-electrical engineer) can think of off the top of my head that would make it so Iphones destined for (some?) CDMA carriers can't work with a SIM card. Like, say, building some fuses into the product that can be shorted so the circuitry to the SIM card doesn't work. Or just omitting the parts that it plugs into. No sir, there is no precedent for companies doing things like this, especially among the incredibly anti-competitive large technology corporations of the world.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yes, the fact that it has a GSM+CDMA antenna means it is completely impossible they could do any of the half-dozen things I (as a non-electrical engineer) can think of off the top of my head that would make it so Iphones destined for (some?) CDMA carriers can't work with a SIM card. Like, say, building some fuses into the product that can be shorted so the circuitry to the SIM card doesn't work. Or just omitting the parts that it plugs into. No sir, there is no precedent for companies doing things like this, especially among the incredibly anti-competitive large technology corporations of the world.
Stop talking out of your rear end and watch the keynote (go to 60:54). They specifically mention that you can take a CDMA phone overseas and use it on a GSM network.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 6, 2011

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

powderific posted:

gently caress Yes. I called retentions and they let me buy out my contract for my current pro-rated ETF due to the Sprint Premiere gold/silver change that happened last year. I'll be annoyed if someone else manages to get an early upgrade without paying out for it, but I dislike my current phone enough that it's worth it to me to get in on the iPhone.

I'm so glad I got to stick with Sprint and get the iPhone upgrade with only a small fortune instead of a large one. After checking ATT and Verizon plans, I don't see any way I could get away with a plan that was less than $90-100 per month vs my current $62. Here's hoping Sprint can keep up their great plans.

How did you go about this, how many months did you have, and are you getting new customer pricing on the iPhone?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Stop talking out of your rear end and watch the keynote (go to 60:54). They specifically mention that you can take a CDMA phone overseas and use it on a GSM network.

Still doesn't necessarily mean it has a sim, I believe they could hard wire it to always show as a Verizon/Sprint iPhone and require you to have a roaming plan through your carrier.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

Still doesn't necessarily mean it has a sim, I believe they could hard wire it to always show as a Verizon/Sprint iPhone and require you to have a roaming plan through your carrier.

The iPhone 4S will be a world phone, but it probably will be locked so you can only use the sim card apple ships with it. I am sure people will jailbreak and unlock it to use elsewhere.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Why does Apple give a poo poo about the SIM slot being locked/unlocked? They sell unlocked iPhones in many locales, but not in the US because of AT&T. Although even then, this is the first model refresh since the exclusivity agreement ran out.

My understanding is that the Photon is unlocked except for North America. So you can throw an overseas SIM in that, but not an AT&T or T-Mo one. I would hope the iPhone is no worse than that.

As for CDMA cross-carrier, it's unprecedented but not impossible. For one, CDMA iPhones have no external carrier branding right? I can totally see Apple wanting the same iPhone 4S being usable on all three US carriers they support particularly if the device looks identical on the outside, and it makes the device more desirable for customers. For one, that's a huge branding advantage, there's the iPhone 4S, not the Verizon/AT&T/Sprint iPhone 4Ses, and Apple is all about simplifying their branding. Not that there's any evidence this is the approach they're taking, but the cross-carrier phone barrier thing isn't going to last forever, and I do see Apple being the first to break it.

To do so, they have to get the carriers on board, and have to solve technical issues regarding device migration. Verizon already has a certification program for non-branded devices, which I don't believe has an exclusivity requirement. So for Verizon and AT&T (which has always allowed open devices), it's just a matter of negotiating subsidies and in-store stock, which Apple has the clout to do. As for Sprint, they may have simply been told "you're only getting the same iPhones everyone else is, no lock or branding" and they either have to take it, or have no iPhones.

As for CDMA programming, that's already all done hands-free to support cross-customer reactivations within the same carrier. It's not much more work to extend that to cross-carrier activations among two preprogrammed carriers. Cricket and Metro still have to eat poo poo though.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
If I have SERO Premium, can I add another SP line easily? I was told I can have up to 4 lines when I transferred it from someone else, but now I've read reports that it's difficult to get a SP line added and most reps will tell you that they can't due to it being an outdated plan.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I might've missed it being mentioned, but do we have any idea how available these will be at release? I know in the past there were long lines and people not getting them, how likely is it I could walk into a Sprint store next weekend and walk out with an iPhone 4S and a contract? I know it's speculation, mostly wondering if I missed some leaked numbers or anything of the sort.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Why does Apple give a poo poo about the SIM slot being locked/unlocked? They sell unlocked iPhones in many locales, but not in the US because of AT&T. Although even then, this is the first model refresh since the exclusivity agreement ran out.

My understanding is that the Photon is unlocked except for North America. So you can throw an overseas SIM in that, but not an AT&T or T-Mo one. I would hope the iPhone is no worse than that.

As for CDMA cross-carrier, it's unprecedented but not impossible. For one, CDMA iPhones have no external carrier branding right? I can totally see Apple wanting the same iPhone 4S being usable on all three US carriers they support particularly if the device looks identical on the outside, and it makes the device more desirable for customers. For one, that's a huge branding advantage, there's the iPhone 4S, not the Verizon/AT&T/Sprint iPhone 4Ses, and Apple is all about simplifying their branding. Not that there's any evidence this is the approach they're taking, but the cross-carrier phone barrier thing isn't going to last forever, and I do see Apple being the first to break it.

To do so, they have to get the carriers on board, and have to solve technical issues regarding device migration. Verizon already has a certification program for non-branded devices, which I don't believe has an exclusivity requirement. So for Verizon and AT&T (which has always allowed open devices), it's just a matter of negotiating subsidies and in-store stock, which Apple has the clout to do. As for Sprint, they may have simply been told "you're only getting the same iPhones everyone else is, no lock or branding" and they either have to take it, or have no iPhones.

As for CDMA programming, that's already all done hands-free to support cross-customer reactivations within the same carrier. It's not much more work to extend that to cross-carrier activations among two preprogrammed carriers. Cricket and Metro still have to eat poo poo though.

To clarify: sprint has a policy of releasing world phones unlocked or mostly unlocked. It's been that way since at least the blackberry tour.

Verizon from what I can tell doesn't like releasing their phones unlocked, not sure how easy they make it to unlock if desired.

Regardless of what happens in Europe, the trend in the US is that the two big carriers (att and Verizon) like to lock their phones. And I doubt sprint is big on letting its phones be "cdma unlocked." I don't see how it is in apples benefit to fight this: if i have a sprint iPhone and want to go to Verizon, I have to buy another iPhone. It sucks, but wireless policies are usually there to make the wireless companies more money, and money does talk. It seems just more hassle than it is worth for apple, and I still don't think they are a company that wants their phones unlocked anyway.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Casao posted:

I might've missed it being mentioned, but do we have any idea how available these will be at release? I know in the past there were long lines and people not getting them, how likely is it I could walk into a Sprint store next weekend and walk out with an iPhone 4S and a contract? I know it's speculation, mostly wondering if I missed some leaked numbers or anything of the sort.

All we know is that Sprint's goal is to sell 8 million iPhones per year.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
This may have been mentioned (or I guess it's just obvious), but maybe as an FAQ answer, the iPhone will require the $10 premium data add-on. Also, it looks like the iPhone 4 will be available about the same time as the 4S.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alman posted:

This may have been mentioned (or I guess it's just obvious), but maybe as an FAQ answer, the iPhone will require the $10 premium data add-on. Also, it looks like the iPhone 4 will be available about the same time as the 4S.

But will it be allowed on SERO plans?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Lovie Unsmith posted:

But will it be allowed on SERO plans?

I don't know, completely unscientific guess, but I'd say it'll be on the $50 SERO plan.

jmoney
May 15, 2003

what might have been
This got missed with the iPhone news but still hoping for some help on this.

jmoney posted:

I'm on EPRP, how do I go about making this a family plan to add my wife if and when the iPhone comes out?

Also, I called a few months ago and got an airrave after I moved and was told that it would take up a second line on my account and that I only had 2 available. Is this going to be a problem?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

clockworx posted:

If I have SERO Premium, can I add another SP line easily? I was told I can have up to 4 lines when I transferred it from someone else, but now I've read reports that it's difficult to get a SP line added and most reps will tell you that they can't due to it being an outdated plan.
Good luck. It's practically impossible, as their Employee Care staff are pretty well-educated about not being allowed to do it now. I tried a handful of times, and probably ended up with a negative note on my account or something because the staff started asking questions like "is this the first time you've called about this?"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jmoney posted:

This got missed with the iPhone news but still hoping for some help on this.

It would be a problem. Call in, ask for credit, and ask if they will approve you for another line.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

How did you go about this, how many months did you have, and are you getting new customer pricing on the iPhone?

I had something like 14 months left on mine. I called up retentions with the phone number in the OP, told them I was excited for the iPhone but a little frustrated because I'd re-upped my contract last year when all Sprint Premiere customers still had yearly upgrades, got a phone to tide me over since hey, it's only a year. Then they switched to the gold/silver thing and I lost yearly upgrades. I asked what they could do for me since I would probably switch carriers if I couldn't get a new phone, and that I'd be happy to pay the ETF and re-contract if it was at all possible. Dude on the phone talked to his supervisor, told me that'd be cool, and charged me the ETF. So I should get the same pricing as anyone signing up for a new two year agreement.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

powderific posted:

I had something like 14 months left on mine. I called up retentions with the phone number in the OP, told them I was excited for the iPhone but a little frustrated because I'd re-upped my contract last year when all Sprint Premiere customers still had yearly upgrades, got a phone to tide me over since hey, it's only a year. Then they switched to the gold/silver thing and I lost yearly upgrades. I asked what they could do for me since I would probably switch carriers if I couldn't get a new phone, and that I'd be happy to pay the ETF and re-contract if it was at all possible. Dude on the phone talked to his supervisor, told me that'd be cool, and charged me the ETF. So I should get the same pricing as anyone signing up for a new two year agreement.

Thanks, Im going to try this today. Im not going to pay $600 on sprint when I can pay my $100 ETF and switch to ATT for another $200.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I've been holding out hope for the Nexus Prime coming out for Sprint. Is it going to be a VZW exclusive? Or is there anything else coming out in the near future for Sprint?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

big mean giraffe posted:

Well for one Sprint won't activate a Verizon iPhone on their network.

No poo poo you can't activate a Verizon phone on Sprint. What I'm saying is Sprint could sell the iPhone 4 that is 100% hardware identical to the Verizon model and it would work in every way. Sprint has already announced they're selling the 8GB iPhone 4 just like Verizon and I'd bet dollars to donuts they're the same drat thing. The only difference is the name on the box, the radios' software telling it which carriers to connect to, and which MEIDs are recognized by Sprint vs Verizon. I'm sure they come from separate inventories for those reasons, but there was no reason to think the iPhone 4 would "never work on Sprint," that just makes no sense.

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 6, 2011

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I've been holding out hope for the Nexus Prime coming out for Sprint. Is it going to be a VZW exclusive? Or is there anything else coming out in the near future for Sprint?

The chatter seems to indicate that there will be a Verizon exclusive, but no idea on how long that would be. We'll have to see what happens next week (11th) with the announcement.

I wish Google would put a microsd slot on that bugger this time around.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

moolchaba posted:

The chatter seems to indicate that there will be a Verizon exclusive, but no idea on how long that would be. We'll have to see what happens next week (11th) with the announcement.

I wish Google would put a microsd slot on that bugger this time around.

I just Googled Sprint + Nexus Prime

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/287974/8-tantalizing-rumors-about-the-samsung-nexus-prime#fbid=p9mBmNplHu6

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/09/18/google.nexus.prime.will.still.be.world.phone/

A lot of guessing!

Still it is saying a lot that the SGSII went on sale everywhere but Verizon. Still a lot of rumors out there.

If this is a timed exclusive until next year or whatever, Google is missing a big chance. The iPhone 4S is launching on the big 3 and Google needs to follow suit. They have a chance to steal some of the buzz from Apple given no bigger screen iPhone 5 and spec-wise what looks to be a superior Nexus Prime. If there was a time for Google to push a so-called 'iPhone killer" this is the time. That said if the Nexus Prime doesn't come out this year on Sprint I will be picking up the iPhone 4S 32GB. The other current Android offers just don't move me at all (while better specs I just feel zero urge to leave my rooted EVO for one of them). Please don't let me down Google/Sprint.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Has anyone seen or heard anymore about the rumor that Sprint was going to enable EVDO REV B and/or 1xRTT Advanced?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Has anyone seen or heard anymore about the rumor that Sprint was going to enable EVDO REV B and/or 1xRTT Advanced?

Still a rumor, we should have answers October 7th.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

Still a rumor, we should have answers October 7th.

Tomorrow!

By the way, that whole thing is starting tomorrow at 9:30 AM EST, and is going to be livestreamed

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2062

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Guess I got washed out in a sea of iPhone talk which is pretty much why I'm asking this anyways.

averox posted:

I'm not due for upgrade but another line on my plan is due for one. Is it possible for me use that upgrade credit, thus extending that contract, and activate the phone for myself?

So line 2 has an upgrade and I want an iPhone. I hope it'd be like when I got my Evo 3D with my line's upgrade credit. They just sent the phone to me and I did the ESN swap online. Although when I first jumped on Sprint they sent both phones to me already provisioned.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

averox posted:

Guess I got washed out in a sea of iPhone talk which is pretty much why I'm asking this anyways.

So line 2 has an upgrade and I want an iPhone. I hope it'd be like when I got my Evo 3D with my line's upgrade credit. They just sent the phone to me and I did the ESN swap online. Although when I first jumped on Sprint they sent both phones to me already provisioned.
You'll be able to do it, certainly, it's just a matter of having to swap esns once (yours to iphone) or twice (2nd line to old phone, yours to iphone).

The subsidy just extends the contract; they don't give a poo poo who uses it. You can use the upgrade, esn swap to your old phone, then sell the iphone if you want.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

averox posted:

Yeah, it's possible. I did this with two lines/phones on my account. I had to leave the first one on the original line for a month (this was back with the Evo rebates) and the second one I had to tell sprint I was changing it to a different line because something got screwed up and it wouldn't activate hands-free because it was already associated with the other line.

Guys, what's the ETF rate? $20 for each month left?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Anyone know offhand if preorders can be done through a Sprint store instead of online?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
iPhone is allowed on SERO but it will be $50, which is still cheaper than others. I was told that even though it's not 4G that because it is a premium phone it will run $50. I'm cool with that. :cool:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Unsurprising. But now we're back the SERO distinction of "premium" vs "non-premium" phones. Which is a bit strange since $40/mo SERO is called "SERO Premium" and the whole point was to allow use of (old) "premium" phones.

At $50/mo for any-mobile, unlimited text and data I don't give two shits. If some phones come in at $40/mo even better. But Sprint's justification of essentially arbitrary service pricing is rather amusing.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Yeah, when I asked if the iPhone had 4G, I was told no. When I told him that I was previously told that only 4G phones where $50, the gentleman said that the iPhone, due to something (wasn't paying attention), was falling in this bracket. I really didn't care one way or another since I've had an upgrade for over two years and I'm finally gonna use it, either on an iPhone or a Nexus. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
I was thinking of switching to Sprint from AT&T when the 4S comes out next Friday. Does anyone know if/how Sprint gives discounts based on the company you work for? I work for 2 businesses that have huge contracts with Sprint, and in return, employees can get a discount on the rate plans. Can I walk into a store and get this discount applied, or do I have to call once I get my account set up? What proof do I need to provide to Sprint that I work for these 2 companies?