Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010

Alcácer do Sal by Nuno Conceição, on Flickr

I definitely overdid this on post but I like it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

ogopogo posted:

And the associated time lapse (from a slightly different spot)

http://www.vimeo.com/29737852

This was very, VERY cool. Care to post how you came about this? did you just use each exposure as a frame and animated at 10fps or something? If so, how long was each exposure?

I know in the description you noted that you didn't keep a constant white balance, however I think the resulted effect was awesome. The change in colour was only subtle.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Timage posted:

This was very, VERY cool. Care to post how you came about this? did you just use each exposure as a frame and animated at 10fps or something? If so, how long was each exposure?

I know in the description you noted that you didn't keep a constant white balance, however I think the resulted effect was awesome. The change in colour was only subtle.

Like any time lapse, it's all about being able to sit around for a few hours :)

I think my EXIF data is something like 30" exposure at f/2.8 at ISO800. I had my intervalometer set at 2 second intervals.
So, after each 30" exposure, the shutter would close for 2 seconds, then open up again for another exposure.
I ran it for about 2.5 hours before I got too cold/tired to keep going (usually best to have a friend there to keep you company, but I was allll alone in this big ol' forest at night)

I shot in sRAW, hoping to keep some flexibility in post, while being able to shoot a load of frames, but in order to line up all the frames for a time lapse, you still need a JPEG sequence, so conversion was done anyhow.
You can make an image sequence in any film/video editing program (FCP, AE, Premiere), but I find that it's easiest to use QuickTime 7, then save it as a .mov file. Then I pop it into FCP for color correction.

I'm glad you liked it! I wish I was back up in the mountains again to shoot a longer one, but alas I had to return to stupid light polluted Vegas.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Helmacron posted:

What is this and how did you achieve that look?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess it was lit by a street light or something that was quite a distance off, which enabled him to take a longer exposure. Or maybe headlights from passing cars?

It does look darn neat.. the strong division between light and dark make it look like it's out of a video game, but not in a bad way.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Burn Zone posted:

What is this and how did you achieve that look?

It's a graveyard drill rig, um. F8, 30s, automatic white balance, ISO800, Fujifilm X100, JPG, tweaked in Photoshop. Lit up partially by the distant lights of rock crusher city.

EDIT: I was going to go on this epic journey across the state for my five days off swing from work and photograph all there is to see at night but instead, I just slept for 16 hours and reset my internal clock to day time and now am at a complete loss of what to do.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 6, 2011

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
Just getting into night photography. Couple of shots from the other night.. these are basically straight out of the camera, no post done on them. I'd be interested to hear any opinions about what post techniques could be used to benefit them.

Not sure which I prefer:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the first one quite a bit more.. the second one loses a lot of the feeling that it's nighttime, and comes off as borderline HDR processing.

Question time:

I did some camping over the weekend, and we had some great clear skies and I was far enough out in the sticks that there was no city glow. The downside is the moon was nearly full so I had that to deal with, and ended up not getting any images I was happy with.

But what I did notice is I was having issues setting ISO and aperture. Either I wasn't letting in enough light and wasn't capturing stars, or I was letting in too much light and blowing out the sky (due to the aforementioned moon).

What's a good rule of thumb for photographing star trails? No moon is an obvious requirement, but what kind of aperture do people usually use to avoid making nighttime look like daytime?

And what kind of exposure time is typical? I did a few 5 minute exposures which seemed like a good start, but how far can I push it? 15 minutes? 30?

Istrian
Dec 23, 2006

Et, ou tu vas exactement?

Kujaroth posted:

Just getting into night photography. Couple of shots from the other night.. these are basically straight out of the camera, no post done on them. I'd be interested to hear any opinions about what post techniques could be used to benefit them.

I like the first one too. The darker tones give me more of the night feeling to it. As for the processing i'd like to know too, I always have trouble with night photos.

Two from last week:

The wooden bridge by qbulka, on Flickr

Luzern night walk by qbulka, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

I like the first one quite a bit more.. the second one loses a lot of the feeling that it's nighttime, and comes off as borderline HDR processing.

Question time:

I did some camping over the weekend, and we had some great clear skies and I was far enough out in the sticks that there was no city glow. The downside is the moon was nearly full so I had that to deal with, and ended up not getting any images I was happy with.

But what I did notice is I was having issues setting ISO and aperture. Either I wasn't letting in enough light and wasn't capturing stars, or I was letting in too much light and blowing out the sky (due to the aforementioned moon).

What's a good rule of thumb for photographing star trails? No moon is an obvious requirement, but what kind of aperture do people usually use to avoid making nighttime look like daytime?

And what kind of exposure time is typical? I did a few 5 minute exposures which seemed like a good start, but how far can I push it? 15 minutes? 30?

With stars, I always go for the lowest ISO setting I can (usually 100) and aperture I'll set to f/8 or f/11 like I was shooting a landscape.

Then after that, it's all about shutter speed. If you don't want it looking like daytime when there's a full moon, don't do it for longer than 5 minutes. If you do want to, do multiple five-minute-or-shorter exposures and use software to stack the images.

If it's completely pitch black out apart from stars you can sometimes leave the shutter open for an hour + without having it look like daytime.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

Kujaroth posted:

Not sure which I prefer:

I like #2. As mentioned it's not quite as night-looking, but I don't really see stars in either one. It's just more vibrant and interesting.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Kujaroth posted:

Not sure which I prefer:

Assuming you use Lightroom, use the Tone Curve to drop the shadows down and bring up the highlights. Keep the sky black like the first picture, but make the bridge have the same "pop" as it does in the second image.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Burn Zone posted:

Assuming you use Lightroom, use the Tone Curve to drop the shadows down and bring up the highlights. Keep the sky black like the first picture, but make the bridge have the same "pop" as it does in the second image.

I use Aperture actually. But I see it does have a Tone Curve feature so I'll have a look at it. Thanks.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
lovely picture. me wandering around NYC. i wants some VR lens.

DSC_0069.jpg by wholesome_, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cropped Capital Crane by torgeaux, on Flickr

Capital Ghost by torgeaux, on Flickr

Close Capital by torgeaux, on Flickr

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Blackpool Central Pier by AceClown79, on Flickr

Could not resist a play with long exposure in Blackpool

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen time lapses of ferris wheels, but that one cranks it up to 11. I don't think I've ever seen anyone turn one into a WHEEL OF SOLID LIGHT.

I like the first one better, but the reflection in the puddle is kind of distracting.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

xzzy posted:

I've seen time lapses of ferris wheels, but that one cranks it up to 11. I don't think I've ever seen anyone turn one into a WHEEL OF SOLID LIGHT.

I like the first one better, but the reflection in the puddle is kind of distracting.

I did try and incorporate the puddle into the image but I was using the worlds worst tripod ever, it's so bad it doesn't even have a portrait orientation thing, I only took it because its super light and folds away to nothing.

So I tried to rig it into a type of portait mode but I got a wanky dutch angle and managed to chop the top off the wheel.

I was also slowly sinking into the sand....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like that one a lot.. shame about clipping off the top of the ferris wheel though.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
So this is my first attempt ever. I'm moderately happy with it.

Orion by kinghotpants, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

King Hotpants posted:

So this is my first attempt ever. I'm moderately happy with it.

Orion by kinghotpants, on Flickr

And you should be. My first attempt looked like noise.

Anyway, as much as I wanted to shoot deep sky targets last night, the wind forecast scared me, so I shot Startrails! This was done with an 8mm Rokinon Fish-eye on a Canon XSi. 320 1min exposures stacked in "Startrails" with a soft light gradient removal in PS.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Messed around with my 70-300 last week.

Pleiades by MrDespair, on Flickr

Jupiter by MrDespair, on Flickr

I really need to go someplace darker one of these nights.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm driving through bumblefuck Utah next month, and I think I'm actually more excited for attempting some night photography than the rest of the vacation. Being away from city glow is super rare for me.

Moon will be just a sliver, should be a heap of fun.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Night Photography Rialto 024 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Night Photography Rialto 014 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Night Photography Rialto 028 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

In case you ever wondered, those towers with the wire going directly through the middle of them are by far the scariest electrical towers to climb. Nothing else even comes close. Also, nice crisp photos, man.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I don't know how to shoot in daytime anymore. Everything I have is night.

Shots from off-Broadway.

DSC_0477.jpg by wholesome_, on Flickr

DSC_0459.jpg by wholesome_, on Flickr

DSC_0381.jpg by wholesome_, on Flickr

DSC_0462.jpg by wholesome_, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
~3000 stacked frames of Jupiter. Taken with a CGEM800, Neximage and 2x barlow. Moons are IO and Europa.

Jupiter 11-04-2011 by elimisel, on Flickr

Not really long exposure, but popped some shots of the Moon while waiting for Jupiter to show it's ugly mug. 80mm SVED, CGEM, Nikon D90:

Moon 11-04-2011 by elimisel, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I hosted these on Picasa so I hope the links work. I captured data on the Near Earth Asteroid called 2005 YU that passed through tonight. It is about 4 football fields in size and passed inside the Moons orbit. Here is an animated gif with arrows pointing it out:

https://picasaweb.google.com/107536491563876550232/November82011#5672825594868168402

and here is one sans arrows:

https://picasaweb.google.com/107536491563876550232/November8201102#5672826359992099138

I am pretty stoked it all worked out!

Edit: This was 20, 15 second exposures shot with a Stellarvue 80mm ED, CGEM, Nikon D90. About 6:30ish ET, just below Delphi Constellation.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

AceClown posted:

I was also slowly sinking into the sand....

This is fantastic , I love it. I was hoping to try some carnival shots, but ours is so tiny and ugly it wasn't worth it.

Suicide Watch posted:

I don't know how to shoot in daytime anymore. Everything I have is night.

DSC_0462.jpg by wholesome_, on Flickr

The colors on this shot are great. What created the blue streak?

I've been playing a little with night shots lately.

IMG_3623 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

IMG_3625Pano Panorama Resize by Shane Duff, on Flickr

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
How'd you do those night shots??! I want to start taking some as where I live you can see almost eveyrthing on a clear night. What do you meter off/what settings did you use?! They are great

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wizard sticks posted:

How'd you do those night shots??! I want to start taking some as where I live you can see almost eveyrthing on a clear night. What do you meter off/what settings did you use?! They are great

No metering, just guesstimating. All of my night shots have been at 17mm, so I can push up to about 30 seconds before getting star trails. So I pump up my ISO to around 4000 or so depending on the night sky, do a 30 second exposure at f/2.8 or 3.5. All of my images have the EXIF intact on Flickr, which might help you a bit.

A rule I heard at one point to judge how long of an exposure you can get away with before star trails come into play is 600/focal length. So in my case 600/17 gives me about 35 seconds.

ISO is your friend on these types of photos.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Falco posted:

No metering, just guesstimating. All of my night shots have been at 17mm, so I can push up to about 30 seconds before getting star trails. So I pump up my ISO to around 4000 or so depending on the night sky, do a 30 second exposure at f/2.8 or 3.5. All of my images have the EXIF intact on Flickr, which might help you a bit.

A rule I heard at one point to judge how long of an exposure you can get away with before star trails come into play is 600/focal length. So in my case 600/17 gives me about 35 seconds.

ISO is your friend on these types of photos.

Thanks for the tips! I might give it a shot tonight. What kind of camera do you have though? My D3100 doesn't have the best low light ability, and I am afraid that if I pump the ISO up so high that my entire image will just be noise. Do you do any post to remove noise?!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Falco posted:

I've been playing a little with night shots lately.

IMG_3625Pano Panorama Resize by Shane Duff, on Flickr

Hot drat, this looks nice. What software did you use to compose this?

Falco posted:

The colors on this shot are great. What created the blue streak?

The blue streak up top was probably from a taxi's roof sign ad.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wizard sticks posted:

Thanks for the tips! I might give it a shot tonight. What kind of camera do you have though? My D3100 doesn't have the best low light ability, and I am afraid that if I pump the ISO up so high that my entire image will just be noise. Do you do any post to remove noise?!

I shoot with a Canon 60D, which does pretty well at night. I'm not very familiar with the D3100, but I had a friend shooting with a D40 that was able to get a little bit of the milky way. It is definitely more of a challenge though.

Right now might be tough just coming off of a full moon. But if you time it right you might have some darkness to play with before the moon rises.

Sometimes I'll use the noise reduction in Lightroom, but that's it.

Suicide Watch posted:

Hot drat, this looks nice. What software did you use to compose this?

The blue streak up top was probably from a taxi's roof sign ad.

I'm not sure what you mean by software to compose. To do the pano I use PT GUI pano stitching software if that's what you're asking. Just make sure the exposures are all the same otherwise you'll get some strange merging colors and banding.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt

The crooked reflections are bugging me.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
This is my first time taking a night-exposure/panorama and stitching them together. I know the picture is incredibly uninteresting (half of it is just underexposed to hell as it's the roof of the hockey arena) but it's absolutely freezing outside and I didn't want to leave my balcony.

I took 8 shots, but for some reason CS5 can't stitch the last two - I think it's because they were spaced too far apart.

Anyone have any tips for exposure settings? I went with ISO 100, f/8, 10s @ 18mm

Halifax Panorama by dpopat, on Flickr

edit: Also I hate how the max resolution on flickr is 1024x

wizard sticks fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 15, 2011

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

anabatica posted:

The crooked reflections are bugging me.

Why are they crooked, don't know if it's becuase its late, but I can't work that out.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
So, I got a few this weekend, but I really wish I could figure out an easy way to merge two exposures using software available for linux, just so I can get a nicely exposed moon. Very happy with the little bit of Aurora I got in there though.

OST_5540 by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

OST_5527 by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Klogdor posted:

So, I got a few this weekend, but I really wish I could figure out an easy way to merge two exposures using software available for linux,
Try creating layer masks in gimp, it works well enough and is fairly self-explanatory.