Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

tentish klown posted:

Is anyone really bothered about cuts to daytime tv?

Bothered, no.

Interested, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sion posted:

Bothered, no.

Interested, yes.

The BBC has decades of old, good material. Surely it can't be that expensive to show repeats of archived stuff?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15186116

Details by channel there.

While this is down to Tory cuts, the BBC shares some blame for being increasingly manager-heavy and wasting money in the most unbelievable of ways.

It's very sad :(

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kin posted:

The BBC has decades of old, good material. Surely it can't be that expensive to show repeats of archived stuff?

Probably not, but do we really want BBC to essentially become a new UKTV channel?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I do like the idea of putting stuff made for BBC Four on BBC Two where a significant audience might actually watch it.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

ChuckDHead posted:

Probably not, but do we really want BBC to essentially become a new UKTV channel?
I'm happy for that to happen on BBC2 during the daytime if that's what it takes to protect their other spending, yeah.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Radio 1
Late-night shows from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will be replaced with national programmes.

Sucks.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Speaking of radio, why not come and chill in this spectacularly unpopular thread and sperg about Radio 4 like the big ponces you are.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Since when has there been a radio forum?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Since last month I think. You gotta keep up with what's going down in QCS man.
There's a BBC thread, a Hitchhiker's Guide thread, even a Chris Morris thread. With about 30 posts between them.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Anybody still watching big brother? This is probably the most interesting thing to happen over the last couple of weeks --> http://bigbrotheruk-s1.channel5.com/c5bb1/video/Day-28-Jay-has-a-shave/

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Who does that when they know they're being filmed? WHO?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Big Brother has been dead to me since Series 7.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

goatface posted:

Who does that when they know they're being filmed? WHO?
Because they know nobody's watching?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Had honestly forgotten Big Brother was on. The press aren't even writing about it, that's got to signal the death of it soon.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
I've always judged big brothers success on if me daft mam is still watching it, cos she'll always stick with it till she's bored or it gets bad or whatever. The fact I just skyped with her today and she didn't even know it was on kinda goes to show the success of Dirty Desmond's big venture.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They should have axed BBC Three entirely. Or at the very least switched it's budget with that of BBC Four.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I got on a lot better with this week's Fresh Meat (although after rewatching last week's I suppose it wasn't that bad). I enjoyed the buffet scene in particular.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I gave up on the Fades, the cast is just ever so slightly too young and annoying.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

thehustler posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15186116

Details by channel there.

While this is down to Tory cuts, the BBC shares some blame for being increasingly manager-heavy and wasting money in the most unbelievable of ways.

It's very sad :(

So, what, is somebody expecting this HD thing to blow over?

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
I'm all for the change to the BBC2 daytime schedule. Means there might be something worth watching on now and again instead of programmes about buying and selling the antiques that i don't have or doing up my house that i don't have.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
What is the reason that there have to be separate HD channels? Can't SD TV's handle a higher data rate or something?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Chumpion posted:

I've always judged big brothers success on if me daft mam is still watching it, cos she'll always stick with it till she's bored or it gets bad or whatever. The fact I just skyped with her today and she didn't even know it was on kinda goes to show the success of Dirty Desmond's big venture.
I think there's probably a certain element of the non-Desmond press not wanting to provide PR of a TV show that is then going to turn around and favour the Desmond press titles when it comes to interviews and exclusives.

Also, they ditched the live feed which strikes me as moronic; the gutter press can't spend all day watching it to obtain column inches for the next edition; they're stuck with covering the same C5 selected highlights as every other paper.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
This is probably my favourite series of Big Brother for a few years. Something about it feels a bit more like the old days of it.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Crash BandiCute posted:

This is probably my favourite series of Big Brother for a few years. Something about it feels a bit more like the old days of it.

Since the mid-way seasons, the contestants have a sense of realism. The first few series were full of people who were either nice or thought they were nice/interesting, and thought they'd just win, only to have that brought down around them upon being evicted in the first week. As the show progressed, girls and lads would go in there expecting to be evicted, so they'd get magazine deals. Now we're so far past that, I think the current crop of housemates expect to disappear into obscurity instantly. They talk about what jobs they're doing/training for/going back to, a stark contrast to Narinda in series 2 ("after this they'll give you and me a show, Brian!") or any of the girls that followed, talking about the deals with Heat they expected to get.

Also they get booze constantly in this one. They're getting on a bit too well, so that helps them go crazy.

Louise Cliffe is unbelievably gorgeous. I recognised her as soon as her face appeared.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I have just finished listening to Alan Partridge's audiobook. I've always been a huge fan of Partridge so am slightly biased but this is up there as one of the best things he has ever done.

I cannot recommend it enough. Hearing him talk about his work on The Day Today, how he met Glen Ponder, his divorce etc is just wonderful.

I'm sure I looked like a special needs kid as I chuckled away to myself whilst walking the dog but needless to say, I had the last laugh.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

I have just finished listening to Alan Partridge's audiobook. I've always been a huge fan of Partridge so am slightly biased but this is up there as one of the best things he has ever done.

I cannot recommend it enough. Hearing him talk about his work on The Day Today, how he met Glen Ponder, his divorce etc is just wonderful.

I'm sure I looked like a special needs kid as I chuckled away to myself whilst walking the dog but needless to say, I had the last laugh.

Yeah, I was about to buy the kindle version, but then thought, hang on, I wonder if Coogan himself narrates the audiobook? And he does! Good stuff.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, I was about to buy the kindle version, but then thought, hang on, I wonder if Coogan himself narrates the audiobook? And he does! Good stuff.

Exactly the reason I went audio instead of Kindle. I almost got the Kindle one then realised that this is the perfect book for Partridge to read and I was right.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I picked up the hardback copy and a friend of mine picked up the audiobook, and I think the audiobook misses some good stuff at the beginning, namely the "Foreword" which is just a short, lukewarm recommendation letter from his boss at Mid Morning Matters.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Padje posted:

Louise Cliffe is unbelievably gorgeous. I recognised her as soon as her face appeared.

from what I can tell she appears to be more famous than some of the celebrity BB housemates. She is quite unfathomably beautiful, not sure about her relationship with the big hulking geordie bum shaver though. Aaron 2 win

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Gorn Myson posted:

I picked up the hardback copy and a friend of mine picked up the audiobook, and I think the audiobook misses some good stuff at the beginning, namely the "Foreword" which is just a short, lukewarm recommendation letter from his boss at Mid Morning Matters.

Finished the book this week and thought it was great. Im going to have to get the audio version now.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The audiobook is definitely worth it. Actually hearing Alan finish anecdotes with the words "needless to say, I had the last laugh" is much funnier when heard than when read.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Paperhouse posted:

from what I can tell she appears to be more famous than some of the celebrity BB housemates. She is quite unfathomably beautiful, not sure about her relationship with the big hulking geordie bum shaver though. Aaron 2 win

She's more famous than Bobby The Model from CBB, for sure. Jay left some Love Hearts under her pillow and she said it was the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for her and my heart broke and then my brain broke.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I would be romantic to her :allears:

also she speaks like she's constantly amazed that she has the ability to talk

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I gave up on the Fades, the cast is just ever so slightly too young and annoying.

I'm really disappointed with The Fades. When it wants to do horror it's pretty good, but then they mix in all the dreadful teenagers-doing-stupid-poo poo plots and it just becomes a mess. I have no idea what they were aiming for with the opening to this episode. Goofy 4th wall breaking recap -> creepy gory credits -> teenage lust with added orgasm-wings. If they cut anyone under the age of 25 and just focused on the Angelics they could have had an alright horror show on their hands.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Goofy 4th wall breaking recap
I liked the recap at the start of episode 2, in which we find out that the magic people are called Angelics (never actually mentioned in episode 1).

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
I think you'll find that the fades owns owns owns and you are all wrong. Except for the terrible romance subplot.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

If anyone's watching Strictly: It Takes Two, it is becoming increasingly clear that Russell Grant is going to become a fixture on the show, even if he gets knocked out of the actual dancing contest.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

John_Anon_Smith posted:

I think you'll find that the fades owns owns owns and you are all wrong. Except for the terrible romance subplot everything "yoof" about it.

Fixed. I dropped it after episode 2, the ghost monster stuff is ok, the retarded teenage melodrama really isn't.

This could have been a show to fill the void of Being Human, but instead of aiming for the more mature 20 something demographic, they've gone right to the 16 year old bollocks and the only people that find that stuff entertaining are people emotionally stunted or idiots still in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
The Fades is objectively fantastic and if you didn't laugh at "when I ejaculate I sprout wings" you are dead inside :colbert:

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 7, 2011