Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I'm sure someone has probably brought up this question, but this thread is ungodly huge. SO! I've decided I want to bring my dog out to Virginia from Minnesota (where she's been living with my mom) after Christmas. Now, however, I'm trying to figure out what to do about bringing her on a plane. She's a yorkie-poo and only weighs about 8 lbs. However, I'm worried she's not going to fit in the 8" or shorter approved pet carrier because even though she's super little, she's kind of long. I'm also worried about her getting freaked out.

Has anyone else flown with a dog? Specifically Airtran? I'm thinking about getting her some sedatives so she'll just sleep through the whole thing, but I heard some airlines will not allow sedatives. Also, if I put her in the approved carrier size, she probably won't be able to stand up and turn around all that (because of her longness and all) but I know she'll live since it's a short flight. I just want to get some insight so I don't plan this out and then find out the airline won't let her on.

Thanks!!

edit: http://petairways.com has anyone used these guys? They look like they've gotten good reviews. They're expensive but may be the best way for little Bindi to fly without other people hating her for barking.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babyberry
Oct 16, 2004

Kerfuffle posted:

Keep in mind that Activa is absolutely no better than any other yogurt. Except greek yogurt because it is king of yogurt.

Thanks! I usually give both my dogs regular low-fat plain yogurt, so I have that on hand. I'll try the Greek yogurt too-- I eat it myself, so I know how tasty it is.

Slake Fistcrunch
Feb 16, 2011

What size skull-dome do you wear?
Two days ago I noticed that my dog Darla, an 8 year old Weimaraner, had developed an odd lump on the top of her head. It didn't seem to be causing her any pain and disappeared/went down completely about five hours after I noticed and looked at it.

Today there was another similar-sized lump slightly further back on her head, and it disappeared within roughly the same timeframe. I have absolutely no idea what's causing this. Darla is healthy (last vet visit less than a month ago) and there haven't been any noticeable changes in her behaviour.

Is this a normal thing in older dogs? Am I just being paranoid? :ohdear:

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

CherryCola posted:

I'm sure someone has probably brought up this question, but this thread is ungodly huge. SO! I've decided I want to bring my dog out to Virginia from Minnesota (where she's been living with my mom) after Christmas. Now, however, I'm trying to figure out what to do about bringing her on a plane. She's a yorkie-poo and only weighs about 8 lbs. However, I'm worried she's not going to fit in the 8" or shorter approved pet carrier because even though she's super little, she's kind of long. I'm also worried about her getting freaked out.

Has anyone else flown with a dog? Specifically Airtran? I'm thinking about getting her some sedatives so she'll just sleep through the whole thing, but I heard some airlines will not allow sedatives. Also, if I put her in the approved carrier size, she probably won't be able to stand up and turn around all that (because of her longness and all) but I know she'll live since it's a short flight. I just want to get some insight so I don't plan this out and then find out the airline won't let her on.

Thanks!!

edit: http://petairways.com has anyone used these guys? They look like they've gotten good reviews. They're expensive but may be the best way for little Bindi to fly without other people hating her for barking.

Call the airline directly and ask, and clarify lots to make sure you're getting the right info. If I was going to fly with my dog/cats, I'd definitely find an airline that allows sedatives. Also, if you do go with sedatives, the lack of being able to turn around won't bother her so much - she'll be asleep for the trip.

I'm not sure about the other stuff - I've never flown with pets, I've always just driven to avoid the hassle.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
What are some pet-safe ways of keeping ants away? Will diatomaceous earth work?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Brennanite posted:

What are some pet-safe ways of keeping ants away? Will diatomaceous earth work?

Depending on where the ants are coming from, I just created a temporary small dish soap moat and it worked like a dream. I came home last night to something like thirty ants strolling around my kitchen counter (aaaaaaagh) now there are none except for the corpses stuck in the soap.

Not sure how pet safe that is if you, say, have a cat that likes to eat dish soap.

edit: Apparently Continental ships animals in pressurized, climate controlled cargo areas. I'm thinking about going with this, because someone checks on them during the layover and they actually fly out of Minneapolis and into DC...and unlike pet airways they fly ever day instead of once a month. I wish I could find more reviews, though!

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 4, 2011

Larva
Dec 26, 2007

Slake Fistcrunch posted:

Two days ago I noticed that my dog Darla, an 8 year old Weimaraner, had developed an odd lump on the top of her head. It didn't seem to be causing her any pain and disappeared/went down completely about five hours after I noticed and looked at it.

Today there was another similar-sized lump slightly further back on her head, and it disappeared within roughly the same timeframe. I have absolutely no idea what's causing this. Darla is healthy (last vet visit less than a month ago) and there haven't been any noticeable changes in her behaviour.

Is this a normal thing in older dogs? Am I just being paranoid? :ohdear:

Could be hives. Is she getting exposed to anything new in the environment?

Slake Fistcrunch
Feb 16, 2011

What size skull-dome do you wear?

Larva posted:

Could be hives. Is she getting exposed to anything new in the environment?

Not as far as I'm aware. We haven't changed her food or the dog shampoo we use to bathe her, and she doesn't roam unsupervised. She's not even allowed on the back garden without someone watching her at the moment, because we're repairing the fence and we don't want her to get out.

We've been using more or less the same route every day for walks, and it takes us through some pretty big fields with long grass, so she could be getting exposed to chemicals or something else outside our control. I'll switch the walking route for a couple of weeks and see how that goes.

I didn't see any lumps yesterday, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for the advice :)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

My dog grooms himself frequently on his legs; I have checked the legs for signs of discomfort (heat, redness, swelling, hair loss) and I can't see any. Is my dog just a neat freak or is he developing OCD tendencies?

Technosexual
Dec 21, 2010

A SHITTY J4G
^^^My dog w/anxiety does this poo poo, he'll lay there and lick front his leg(s) obnoxiously, to the point he makes a wet spot on whatever he's laying on.

My cat just bit me. I was shutting him in the bathroom to let out my bird, and as I was nudging him over with my leg to block him from running out of the door while saying, "Get..." which he understands as, "Get back.", he grabbed onto my ankle with his claws, and bit me. Scared the poo poo out of me. He broke skin on my heel, not sure with a claw, or teeth.

It seems he has little outbursts like these every so often, is it normal for cats to act out like this?

He's a healthy, neutered, usually friendly/loving, indoors-only ( That gets taken outside on a harness ) cat.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

wtftastic posted:

My dog grooms himself frequently on his legs; I have checked the legs for signs of discomfort (heat, redness, swelling, hair loss) and I can't see any. Is my dog just a neat freak or is he developing OCD tendencies?

My dog does something similar when she's suffering from fleas (it's gross but they've been so bad this summer). It's also a symptom of boredom. I tend to interrupt her and redirect to something else. With meds and monitoring she's starting to kick the habit.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Spermy Smurf posted:

They said that was probably it, but the only real thing they said was "daily estrogen, daily steroids, or some daily nasal decongestant that basically tightens sphincters."

No other options they said. So I suppose I'll try to find which one messes with her the least and use that.

The treatments for 'spay incontinence' aren't all that bad.

Here's a list of the ones I know about...

Medical (usually tried first):
- Estrogen: Some people use this on its own, but many like to use it in conjunction with the 'nasal decongestant.' It's theorized that it increases blood flow/collagen synthesis at one of the sphincters. That's human med work though, but it seems to have a somewhat similar effect in dogs. This also does not have to be done everyday, particularly in conjunction with other drugs. I've seen dogs on it *maybe* once a week. Estrogen can have some adverse effects, including suppression of the bone marrow, but that is rare, and in the doses used for USMI (which is low), extremely rare.
- Alpha Agonists (the nasal decongestants): These work by tightening the sphincters themselves, and work well together with estrogens. These can have a few more adverse effects, like restlessness, anxiety, high blood pressure, and in very rare cases, they can get a bit aggressive.

There are several surgical methods out there, I know of a few, but I won't go into them as there are new procedures coming out somewhat often. Usually, surgery is done when medical management fails, or at the attending veterinarians discretion. They can have variable success, and depending on the procedure, I've heard of 50/50 cure rates - but even within those that a 'cure' wasn't achieved, the dogs became far more easily controlled with medication, whereas medication wasn't working before.

Slake Fistcrunch:
Perhaps a bug bit her on the head? You're already keeping an eye on things which is a great plan.

wtftastic:
Dogs will often lick their legs either because they're crazy, or because they are manifesting an allergic reaction as itchiness and are licking/chewing at their legs. It's one of the possible signs of a food/environmental allergy.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

a life less posted:

My dog does something similar when she's suffering from fleas (it's gross but they've been so bad this summer). It's also a symptom of boredom. I tend to interrupt her and redirect to something else. With meds and monitoring she's starting to kick the habit.

I haven't seen any flea dirt or excessive scratching, but I would guess that its probably boredom related. I've been getting him all sorts of new toys but I guess that's not cool enough for him or something. He also does it after chewing on a bone, so I guess part of it must be that he tastes the bone on himself (he uses his front paws to hold the bone up).

I've only really noticed it recently and I've not drastically changed his food or treats. If he has an allergy, I'm not sure what it would be. I'll keep an eye on the areas he licks and if they look like they're getting irritated I will talk to my vet about it.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 4, 2011

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes

My parents adopted a third dog about a year ago (they have two small poodles and they adopted a big 3 year old 40 pound mutt with no discernible breed). He had been adopted and returned about four times at this point. He got along with the two poodles at the initial meet and for the first few weeks. After awhile though, whenever the dogs collectively got excited, the big mutt would attack the small dogs and usually draw blood. As in, really attacking and not play fighting. If someone was dumb enough to get in between the attack, the dog would attack the person.

They took him to training lessons to try to get him to be more obedient, but since this happened so scarcely we couldn't really see it in action. We tried to keep the dogs separated as much as possible. It continued to be a bi-monthly issue until yesterday he grabbed one of the poodles by the neck with his jaw, threw him across the room, jumped on him, and continued biting his neck/ear/face. Blood absolutely everywhere, if I wasn't home I don't think the dog would have survived.

We decided to bring him back to the no-kill shelter we got him from almost a year ago, and I'm pretty sure this is the right decision. If nobody was home, something severe could have happened, and there's no real way to keep them separated 24/7. My parents decided to just inform the shelter that the mutt "doesn't get along well with our dogs" even though a pretty severe attack happened (they believe that if the no-kill shelter knows about the attack they'll put him to sleep). I was wondering if this is the right course of action, because "doesn't get along well" seems very very light considering what happened and I wasn't sure if I should call the shelter and give them the whole story.

I really didn't want to give him up but considering what happened and how much I tried to fix it, I couldn't see a way out.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

RoryGilmore posted:

My parents adopted a third dog about a year ago (they have two small poodles and they adopted a big 3 year old 40 pound mutt with no discernible breed). He had been adopted and returned about four times at this point. He got along with the two poodles at the initial meet and for the first few weeks. After awhile though, whenever the dogs collectively got excited, the big mutt would attack the small dogs and usually draw blood. As in, really attacking and not play fighting. If someone was dumb enough to get in between the attack, the dog would attack the person.

They took him to training lessons to try to get him to be more obedient, but since this happened so scarcely we couldn't really see it in action. We tried to keep the dogs separated as much as possible. It continued to be a bi-monthly issue until yesterday he grabbed one of the poodles by the neck with his jaw, threw him across the room, jumped on him, and continued biting his neck/ear/face. Blood absolutely everywhere, if I wasn't home I don't think the dog would have survived.

We decided to bring him back to the no-kill shelter we got him from almost a year ago, and I'm pretty sure this is the right decision. If nobody was home, something severe could have happened, and there's no real way to keep them separated 24/7. My parents decided to just inform the shelter that the mutt "doesn't get along well with our dogs" even though a pretty severe attack happened (they believe that if the no-kill shelter knows about the attack they'll put him to sleep). I was wondering if this is the right course of action, because "doesn't get along well" seems very very light considering what happened and I wasn't sure if I should call the shelter and give them the whole story.

I really didn't want to give him up but considering what happened and how much I tried to fix it, I couldn't see a way out.

Is there a reason crates aren't an option

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

Is there a reason crates aren't an option

We used one, but the house is small and my parents had a hard time keeping them separated for some of the day. They were separated for the majority of the time, which was probably why less attacks happened.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Not a dog person, but I would definitely let the rescue know what happened, not exaggerating or minimizing it. They need to know what specific kind of behavioral stuff is going on with the guy so that they can be careful and honest with future placements and possible owners.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

You should let the shelter know. What if they adopt him out to someone with a dog and a kid and the kid gets in the middle and gets bitten? Or the other dog in the family gets killed because the owners don't expect the new dog to get aggressive with other dogs? The shelter will either manage the problem or not, but at least they'll have a chance to manage it.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Another reason to let them know is that a lot of shelters/fosters do behavioral testing if they have the resources. So they will catch the problem anyway and probably deem the dog unadoptable right away. If you're up front about it, then they can maybe do a better assessment or get him to someone who can help. My dog was fostered by trainers who work with dogs with problems, so they are around.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

RoryGilmore posted:

Yeah, that's kind of not okay. You need to be totally honest with the shelter; even if that means a poor outcome for the dog, at least no one will end up with a dog that they're way in over their heads with or have no idea of his true issues.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Yeah.. that dog needs to be a home where someone with experience in dog aggression can manage him, and/or be a single dog in a household. :( Don't feel bad about the decision to bring him back.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Yeah, I realized it was probably a smart decision to inform them before anyone replied and I called the shelter up and gave them as complete of a behavioral breakdown as I could. From the way I was looking at it, it meant it would be easier for him to find a home that can really care for him, but my parents are still furious that I called since they think he'll be put down. I don't think that will really be an issue though, they'll just find him a place where he can be cared for properly :(

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Glad you made a decision. Just for the record, it's really dangerous to leave bigger dogs with little dogs. Excitement aggression is not uncommon, and puts tiny dogs at serious risk. There should always be a rule that the dogs are separated unless actively being watched if there's a greater than 2:1 size difference between them.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

You did the right thing. Your parents aren't looking at the big picture in a reasonable manner.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anything wrong with giving my greyhound a full apple, or should I cut it up first? Someone in the greyhound thread did that with their dog. I know fresh fruit is pretty popular with greys but I don't want to create a possible choking hazard.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

actionjackson posted:

Anything wrong with giving my greyhound a full apple, or should I cut it up first? Someone in the greyhound thread did that with their dog. I know fresh fruit is pretty popular with greys but I don't want to create a possible choking hazard.

Just don't let her eat it unsupervised, and she'll be fine. Husker bites off manageable chunks with his side teeth while holding the apple with his paws :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Apple seeds can be poisonous, so it's best to core the apple before you feed it to your dog. It takes a lot to be any danger, but better safe than sorry.

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

Took our dog to the vet today and he said that our dog's rashy bumpy skin appeared to be seasonal allergies and recommended Benedryl. I went to get the Benedryl but for some reason our Walgreens is having trouble stocking it. Since it's for the dog I didn't want to experiment with an off-brand. I've had some time to think about it and I'm not sure that I want the dog to be drowsy. It seems pretty lovely to have a drugged up pet.

Does that seem right that he'd just develop allergies at 5? I have tried changing everything else in the house that was possible, switched to bottled water from tap, changed almost all of the house chemicals to something eco-friendly, washed his bedding and toys, bathed him with Sulfodene, switched from Evo Chicken to Evo Red Meat. He's never really been fond of his food and almost always eats it like it's a last resort to starving anyway, though he's always been a bit on the pudgy side. I talked to our pet store about all of this and they recommended trying Amicus since it uses Red Lentils for filler instead of potatoes like most premium dog foods but he didn't really like the sample. He did like the Natural Balance sample but that's not really any different.

Are there any other options? Some shampoo, cream, anything?

Horky fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 6, 2011

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
Is it safe to use a mosquito repellent like Off on a dog? We just moved into our new house, which came with a wild and overgrown back yard, and it's difficult to step out there without awakening a cloud of thirsty bloodsuckers. Ginny has been itchier than I've ever seen her lately, and I can see mosquitoes clinging to her legs when she steps on the grass. :(

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Horky posted:

Took our dog to the vet today and he said that our dog's rashy bumpy skin appeared to be seasonal allergies and recommended Benedryl. I went to get the Benedryl but for some reason our Walgreens is having trouble stocking it. Since it's for the dog I didn't want to experiment with an off-brand. I've had some time to think about it and I'm not sure that I want the dog to be drowsy. It seems pretty lovely to have a drugged up pet.

Does that seem right that he'd just develop allergies at 5? I have tried changing everything else in the house that was possible, juJu switched to bottled water from tap, changed almost all of the house chemicals to something eco-friendly, washed his bedding and toys, bathed him with Sulfodene, switched from Evo Chicken to Evo Red Meat. He's never really been fond of his food and almost always eats it like it's a last resort to starving anyway, though he's always been a bit on the pudgy side. I talked to our pet store about all of this and they recommended trying Amicus since it uses Red Lentils for filler instead of potatoes like most premium dog foods but he didn't really like the sample. He did like the Natural Balance sample but that's not really any different.

Are there any other options? Some shampoo, cream, anything?

There's absolutely no difference between store brand and name brand bendardyl just make sure the chemical name diphenhydramine, I think, and the dosage are the same.

My moms old dog was on bendryl in the fall and spring and it really helped him a lot. I never really noticed him being drowsy. Allergies are really weird so them coming in later in life isn't unusual. It is probably a seasonal thing if you haven't switched his food before they started. Maybe your neighbors got new plants or something.

Listen to your vet.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 6, 2011

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
Yeah, my dog has pretty severe allergies, and without the benadryl he's miserable. And dogs develop allergies over time, just like people. Just don't let him drive or operate heavy machinery, and you should be okay.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Ginny Field posted:

Is it safe to use a mosquito repellent like Off on a dog? We just moved into our new house, which came with a wild and overgrown back yard, and it's difficult to step out there without awakening a cloud of thirsty bloodsuckers. Ginny has been itchier than I've ever seen her lately, and I can see mosquitoes clinging to her legs when she steps on the grass. :(

Bug repellent isn't recommended for dogs since there's no way to ensure that they don't swallow it. I've spritzed my dog with citronella before when the bugs are really bad, and she hates it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ginny Field posted:

I wouldn't use mosquito repellent because I would worry about ingestion but several types of flea spot ons also repel mosquitoes. I use k9 advantix II and I often see mosquitoes fly over to Major then dart away.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Just don't let her eat it unsupervised, and she'll be fine. Husker bites off manageable chunks with his side teeth while holding the apple with his paws :3:

I gave her a couple small apples last night. This morning she was pacing around whimpering for a while. I didn't know what the problem was, but I had forgotten how much fiber apples have. We went out for a walk and she took THREE DUMPS. Poor Abby, I feel terrible. I'll stick to a half apple per day.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

jimmychoo fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 24, 2018

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

jimmychoo posted:

So, I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice.

My cat is about a year old, no medical problems anymore (got him from the shelter, he had worms and stuff but is now perfectly healthy and up to date on all his shots, plus he is an indoor cat) but one of his eyes seems hosed up.

His face is black, so it's kind of hard to tell what his deal is. His left eye, where eye boogers form, seems swollen all the time. Not red per se because the area is black, but it doesn't seem to bother him.

He was JUST at the vet for his annual check-up, so I don't want to bring him back because of the $$. Called the vet and they said to give him some special eye drops, so I did but it doesn't look like there is much improvement.
Sometimes he gets squinty, but otherwise it doesn't seem to bother him.

What is wrong with my kitty's eye? :(
No one over the internet can tell you what's wrong with your kitty's eye. He needs an ophthalmic exam from a veterinarian. It could be something innocuous or it could be caused by trauma, bacterial infection, fungal infection, etc....all of which are treated in different ways. Personally, I don't like to waffle on eye problems. They can be very painful and progress to expensive treatments if early intervention is not taken.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

jimmychoo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 7, 2012

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
Thanks. My gut was telling me that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to spray her with bug repellent, but I hate to see my gal suffer like that. Fortunately the weather is cooling off, so the bugs should be dissipating soon. She is on Frontline, so I'm not sure if that just wasn't working to repel mosquitoes, or if the infestation in the yard was just so bad that it didn't even matter.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

actionjackson posted:

I gave her a couple small apples last night. This morning she was pacing around whimpering for a while. I didn't know what the problem was, but I had forgotten how much fiber apples have. We went out for a walk and she took THREE DUMPS. Poor Abby, I feel terrible. I'll stick to a half apple per day.

Oh, poor baby! Sorry, I didn't even think to warn you - apples have a TON of fiber and will clean a dog out, especially if she's not used to it.

I feed my guy fruit and vegetables pretty frequently, but once in a while (like at parties) he'll get way more than usual and will have a couple of major dumps.

Offer her some broccoli. Only a little, or holy poo poo, room-clearing farts, but Husker and some of the other hounds I've met will do anything for a piece. Baby carrots are a common one, and Husker actually really loves salad greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

actionjackson posted:

Amen.
Fed Asa a bunch of carrots one night...as did the g/f...as did two of our friends who were out to visit.
Woken up at 6:30am to whining.
Bright orange poop for the next 10-15 minutes of dog-squats across the yard.
On the other hand she felt loving GREAT after that :P