Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HauntedRobot posted:

Just stick a "donate" link up or a Steam ID and a wishlist and give the thing away for free. Only takes one generous person out of a thousand to make the effort worthwhile.
From a purely monetary standpoint, maybe.
But I think it's the product that should make the effort worthwhile, not what people are willing to pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Vib Rib posted:

From a purely monetary standpoint, maybe.
But I think it's the product that should make the effort worthwhile, not what people are willing to pay for it.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to say it's all about the money, tinkering is its own reward. I just meant that the occasional "hey I appreciated this, here's 10c" makes up for the bad stuff (such as it is).

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Vatek posted:

Make it do a thumbs-up. :v:

Oh man... I'll get on that when I get home.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

1.9pre3 is live.

http://t.co/dt3IlVp6

Edit: It's back.

Changlog according to Jeb:
simplified potion system
added some new items
enchantment table (wip)
babies

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 6, 2011

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Travic posted:

So I'm looking for a little help building crap. I'm trying to build a buried statue in the desert, but I suck at it. Are there any tools/tutorials for making nice looking sculptures?

Here's my 5th grade level eye-sore:

Slightly different angle

I remember in the previous thread some father made this awesome hand coming out of the ground for his son to find. How do you get nice sculptures like that?

I saw this and the first thing that came to mind was the Hand of Nod from C&C

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Retro42 posted:

1.9pre3 is live.

http://t.co/dt3IlVp6

Edit: Now it's not. Looks like he's re-uploading it for some reason.

http://twitter.com/!/jeb_/status/121950027227734016

3rd upload: http://t.co/dt3IlVp6

Sounds like it adds enchanting?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

HauntedRobot posted:

Oh yeah, I don't mean to say it's all about the money, tinkering is its own reward. I just meant that the occasional "hey I appreciated this, here's 10c" makes up for the bad stuff (such as it is).

Pretty much this. Modders don't realize if they actually listened and were super helpful to their userbase instead of forcing them to jump through hoops and telling them to gently caress off when they needed help, they'd make much more in donations than anything ad.fly could offer.

This is coming from someone who made over a hundred bucks modding a server and I didn't even ask for money.

Cadell
May 16, 2009

floor is lava posted:

http://twitter.com/!/jeb_/status/121950027227734016

3rd upload: http://t.co/dt3IlVp6

Sounds like it adds enchanting?

Yep. I'm just mucking around in creative but it's pretty cool. The book on the enchantment table is animated. It follows you around and closes if you are too far away. :3:

I haven't managed to enchant anything yet, but I think the potions stand spat out a torch.:tinfoil:

Tyja
Jul 16, 2006

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.
Found some weird stuff!

http://imgur.com/a/GedB5

A tower of glass? A new blue block above lava? oh, and the debug overlay has a piechart!

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Mr Cuddles posted:

minecraft_fanbase.jpg

(email received from contact address on https://www.minecraftrecipedesigner.com )

This website is amazing. Here are some cool recipes I'd like to show you.

code:
XXX   X = Air
XSX   S = Cobble Stairs
XXX   RECIPE NAME: steppe

XXX   X = Air
XLX   L = Ladder
XXX   RECIPE NAME: laddr

XXX   X = Air
BBX   B = Brick
BBX   RECIPE NAME: blcok
Then there are a bunch of recipes called oskar11 that are just a mishmash of armor pieces, weapons, and fishing rods. Is this for real??

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Some of my sheep spontaneously turned into babies. :crossarms:

Also, strongholds are ridiculously easy to spot (glass towers above them) because of some debug code jeb left in.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

poemdexter posted:

Pretty much this. Modders don't realize if they actually listened and were super helpful to their userbase instead of forcing them to jump through hoops and telling them to gently caress off when they needed help, they'd make much more in donations than anything ad.fly could offer.

This is coming from someone who made over a hundred bucks modding a server and I didn't even ask for money.

To be fair, the notion of the "gift economy" - which in many ways is what a good modding scene has, where you put a product out there and let the people who like it give you whatever they feel like you deserve - is still a pretty new one, in economic terms.

Too many people still have the notion in their heads that if you want to make any money there need to be fees up front or else it won't work. Though, to be fair again, part of that stems from thinking "I don't trust my audience to actually show some drat support for my work because they're all greedy, entitled assholes" and frankly looking at the Minecraft fan community would make it awfully easy to fall into that line of thought, so...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

To be fair, the notion of the "gift economy" - which in many ways is what a good modding scene has, where you put a product out there and let the people who like it give you whatever they feel like you deserve - is still a pretty new one, in economic terms.

Too many people still have the notion in their heads that if you want to make any money there need to be fees up front or else it won't work. Though, to be fair again, part of that stems from thinking "I don't trust my audience to actually show some drat support for my work because they're all greedy, entitled assholes" and frankly looking at the Minecraft fan community would make it awfully easy to fall into that line of thought, so...

That makes sense too. I know hey0 had a paypal donate button and after a week or two, I don't think he made anything after the initial donations were made. I guess I was sorta blessed having a small server and catering my mods to exactly what the people asked for.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

tinaun posted:

Also, strongholds are ridiculously easy to spot (glass towers above them) because of some debug code jeb left in.
I love this development, because even though this isn't the final version, it means that strongholds will have some sort of surface marker so you don't have to just dig randomly for them.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Vib Rib posted:

I love this development, because even though this isn't the final version, it means that strongholds will have some sort of surface marker so you don't have to just dig randomly for them.

I thought strongholds already had surface entrances. I'm positive I found one just by walking out from spawn for a day or two.

Edit: found it

Seed: -413016199

x:-910 y:466

tinaun fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 6, 2011

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Mr Cuddles posted:

minecraft_fanbase.jpg

(email received from contact address on https://www.minecraftrecipedesigner.com )
I think these guys have to be just trolling people at this point.
This one is pretty great though.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Client side crash bug: don't shiftclick stuff with an enchantment table open. that'll make it do bad stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

tinaun posted:

I thought strongholds already had surface entrances. I'm positive I found one just by walking out from spawn for a day or two.
It was my understanding that them meeting the surface is just random coincidence, that they don't actually have defined entrances or surface towers, just that they might meet the ground level the same way dungeons do.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Anyone able to make much sense of the brewing yet? It seems changed from what was apparently hidden in previous versions; unless I'm missing some ingredients, it seems like there isn't much to do with it yet, although it's fun zooming around with a speed II potion. Most ingredients can't actually be used a lot of the time.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Anyone able to make much sense of the brewing yet? It seems changed from what was apparently hidden in previous versions; unless I'm missing some ingredients, it seems like there isn't much to do with it yet, although it's fun zooming around with a speed II potion. Most ingredients can't actually be used a lot of the time.

I managed to get spider eye and water potion to combine into a potion of weakness. not that useful :(

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Is this new? It's actually bigger than this too, just didn't feel like capping the whole thing.. A giant naturally occuring lava lake. So drat cool.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Might as well post what recipes I've found that actually do something. Apart from that one, there's a potion of swiftness (netherwart, sugar) which can be improved by adding redstone for greater duration or glowstone for greater effect, but not both. The potion of weakness can also be made to last longer with redstone, although I'm not sure why you'd want to. Also, the potion of swiftness can be turned into a tremendously useful potion of slowness by adding fermented spider eye.

Oh, it looks like I hadn't tried other ingredients on awkward potions. I thought I had. This makes everything a lot more reasonable.
vvvv

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 6, 2011

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Frobbe posted:

I managed to get spider eye and water potion to combine into a potion of weakness. not that useful :(

quoting myself here. apparently the starting point for quite a lot of potions is to use netherwart to make an awkward potion and then add ingredients from there.

also gently caress notch for using Standard Galactic, that poo poo makes no sense. Enchantment table has a nice animation though.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Frobbe posted:

also gently caress notch for using Standard Galactic, that poo poo makes no sense. Enchantment table has a nice animation though.

There's an 'alternate.png' in the font folder (inside the minecraft.jar) which I'm assuming you can replace with the same contents from default.png. Haven't tried it yet.

edit: alternative.png (English)

How do I make a book to try this on?
Replacing the PNG in the archive with the one above appears to work.

Edit:
Thanks!
\/\/

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 6, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Frobbe posted:

For the record, decoding SGA doesn't give descriptions of the enchantment. It just translates into runic chants.
For instance:
"Fire Klaatu Humanoid Spirit"
"Bless Imbue XYZZY"
"Curse Sphere Limited"

...wait. Maybe these aren't random chant words.

By the way! Recipes are:

e: The balance of combat has shifted extremely. Endermen can do 5 hearts of damage in a single hit, cows can survive a critical hit with a diamond sword (!) most enemies seem to have boosted health.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 6, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HauntedRobot posted:

Just my 2c, I've been modding for literally decades in one game or another. I can't think of another game I've had a hand in modding where I've had to decompile the whole game in order to make a mod. A lot of Minecraft mods don't change much, but don't confuse that with the effort taken to create them.

That said, I don't know why the Minecraft community seems to have settled on ad.fly, but it seems pretty obnoxious as far as banner serving things go. Just stick a "donate" link up or a Steam ID and a wishlist and give the thing away for free. Only takes one generous person out of a thousand to make the effort worthwhile.

Yeah a single person tossing up a dollar is worth like 240-550 adfly clicks if I read their payment thing right

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Notch just tweeted this video about the Black Stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q92TPOaqqA0

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011

Biggus Dickus posted:

Looks to me like it's just a new bottom of the world void texture.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
That's a strange effect. It's not the bottom of the world, I'm playing in creative and the bottom is still just black with some particles.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Are you able to breed your animals from before PR3? My sheep and cows now just ignore me when I'm holding grain, and when I feed it to them they will get the hearts but will not try to copulate. When I tried a fresh world, they worked. So are all my old animals just borked? :ohdear:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Biggus Dickus posted:

Whatever this new block is, I can't wait to use it in making Adventure Maps!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A friend of mine somehow managed to automatically translate the enchantment text (using Biggus Dickus's method?), and apparently it is indeed all random.
However, it does have some amusing effects as a result:

Enchanting appears unfinished, and I don't think any of these effects actually do anything yet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to cast me some sexy 'hot toward hot humanoid' and 'grow water embiggen.'

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Hm. Could the effect names just be translating from SG -> Swedish (I think?) -> English?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Biggus Dickus posted:

Is it just me or is it just a sprite layer positioned in the middle of a block? Possibly a new portal type?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Al Baron posted:

Hm. Could the effect names just be translating from SG -> Swedish (I think?) -> English?
No, according to the class's code, it has a list of random words that it picks from, scrambled.
Included in the list of random words are "the", "elder", and "scrolls". :ssh:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest grow water.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Retro42 posted:

Is it just me or is it just a sprite layer positioned in the middle of a block? Possibly a new portal type?

It looks strictly 2D too, with no thickness. It would be an awesome portal effect. Or just to create random rips in the time-space continuum...

DrakoDWyvrex
Feb 5, 2006
So, in Pre3, I explored a stronghold and found one of the rooms with the Silverfish spawner and the lava with a ring of new crystal blocks. I decided i wanted to go back to town, and since I'm just checking out the new features, I hop in a pool of lava to die and respawn, however, while in the lava I am not taking any damage. I get out of the lava and am on fire where I am taking half a heart in damage? Is lava broken or is it the magic of the new crystals?

Edit: Got back to town and when to the smithy and hopped into his lava pool. Taking regular lava damage. Are crystals made of magic?

DrakoDWyvrex fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Is it just me or are you seeing chunks randomly decide to generate as skylands?

Also, there is always a stronghold at 0,0 for me. And no NPC Villages are being generated. Just unlucky?

[edit] Just unlucky, finally found one.

fondue fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 6, 2011