Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, if Caesar's dead and you go the Legion route Lanius pretty much fucks the entire Mojave because he's hellbent on killing everyone and everything. Vegas burns, the Followers are slaughtered, etc. He's not a subtle man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

There were looong periods of Roman history where plenty of high-ranking "Romans" had never even visited Italy. You're fixating on the marble-statues-and-plays Rome mythology that lots of contemporary empires have tried to model themselves on, not the Roman military strategy that made that relevant, which was always 100% about controlling and exploiting barbarians who knew about as much about Ovid or Cato as they did about quantum physics.

Yes the cultural trappings of Rome in the Legion are really superficial, that's because the leadership isn't interested in them except as a generic unifying tribal identity, and also because they're goofy psychotic savages. Caesar wants them to be Romans eventually but they're still not even really at the republican era, when Rome was still just another uncultured backwater full of primitives.

I mean gently caress that's a spergpost right there but if you can accept a postapocalyptic street gang oriented around Elvis impersonators but not a bunch of fascists who mimic the trappings and bloodier strategies of Romans without having their centuries of culture IDK dude.
Right, but the difference between a street gang oriented around Elvis and the Legion is that one is a riff on a popular pop cultural trope and the other is a little too earnest realistic for a game like Fallout.

Groups like the Kings or the Khans seem like light-hearted riffs on how a post apocalyptic society might take our (and more specifically, a pseudo-retro-50s culture's) artifacts and fetishize them or misinterpret them. It's an amusing thought - and almost semi-plausible - that survivors would stumble on an Elvis impersonation school and appropriate that imagery into their tribe. It's also a riff on Elvis impersonators and the cult of personality that surrounds The King.

Or you get gangs like the Vipers which sound like something straight out of Westside Story-esque fantasy world. No doubt they're gritty and evil and cruel, but there's still that pop culture connection.

But then you look at the Legion and it's like, "Caesar was a missionary who was sent East, and he hated the Tribal scum he encountered, and thats when he started reading The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire and Julius Caesar's account of the conquest of Gaul and..." :stare:

Something's just... Missing. The Legion doesn't have that Fallout charm. I could see the Legion existing in a game with a post-apocalyptic setting that's played completely straight... A game where the apocalypse happened to our world and not a retro-50s fantasy. But a setting that has super mutants and ghouls, and street gangs inspired by Elvis or the Rat Pack? Not so much.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 6, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ddraig posted:

e: And yeah, the entire Legion's long-term goals are locked up firmly with Caesar. Virtually no other member of the Legion, past or present, shares his ideal. Lanius is a loving psychopath. Joshua was a bloodthirsty maniac, and still is, and there's nobody even close to having the capacity to lead them in any noble (however they manage to get there) ideal beyond Caesar. Once he's dead, they're just highly efficient bandits.

It's be different if the Caesar had amassed any other idealistic individuals around him, or people who share the same ideas and goals for the Legion. Hell, ancient Rome while being a dictatorship still had a noble class and wealthy members which, while not in direct power, provided much needed support to the central powers. Nobles and other people "invested" in a related system are exceedingly important for the kind of system Caesar is building, but Caesar sees that as as a risk for corruption and such. He feels he can trust himself, and ONLY himself, when it comes to this sort of thing, and he can trust Lanius to be a murderous rear end in a top hat since he's simple minded, so he figures his system will work!!

But there's no lasting strength to it. Even if, as he thinks, he could create the hybrid government of NCR-mated-with-Legion and it takes New Vegas as its Rome, the second he's out of the picture, the entire system would collapse. It's an inherent flaw in most benevolent dictatorships when you get down to it. You can have a benevolent and beloved dictator or tyrant who does well by the people and has ideals. But if the system is one where the successor is functionally randomized or comes down to "who is the biggest murderer", the entire system will collapse or move most definitely away from the ideals it was formed on.

It's almost comical in how ill-thought it is. It's fun to bring Arcade with you when you first meet Caesar and he blows up when you step out the door going essentially "What a crock of poo poo!"

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

SpaceMost posted:

Don't know what to tell you, dude, they needed a big badguy and the orcs were pretty played out, so they did postapocalyptic cosplay Nazis. Fallout villains have always had some kind of absurd complex backstory.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Don't know what to tell you, dude, they needed a big badguy and the orcs were pretty played out, so they did postapocalyptic cosplay Nazis. Fallout villains have always had some kind of absurd complex backstory.
That's fine. It's not like they ruined the game for me.

I just thought they were a minor misstep in an otherwise great game. V:shobon:V

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, if Caesar's dead and you go the Legion route Lanius pretty much fucks the entire Mojave because he's hellbent on killing everyone and everything. Vegas burns, the Followers are slaughtered, etc. He's not a subtle man.
Which is weird, because he sounds a lot more subtle in your conversation with him. People talk about him like he's a ravening beast, and then he's fairly intelligent when you speak to him, and then in the ending slides he's a ravening beast again. Odd.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I'm pretty sure Caesar explicitly says on multiple occasions that he's got nothing but a roaming army and New Vegas is to be his "Rome". There's a large occupied area he's emptied of warring factions but nothing to speak of in it but slaves and warcamps.
He definitely explicitly says that he wants Vegas to be his Rome, so presumably there isn't any other kind of major center to Legion-controlled territory. But then there is the idea of Legion-controlled territory as distinct from "where the Legion is right this second," and there's the trader who talks about how he can do good business out there since it's safe, so...it's all a little ambiguous. And perhaps somewhat contradictory - I have the feeling all the details here weren't really worked out.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 6, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I feel like Caesar's legion, while sure it would make sense if it actually existed in post apocalyptia, doesn't really make sense from a gameplay perspective. They're comically evil compared to any other faction in the game other than the Fiends, and the Fiends actually make sense considering their psychopathic hardcore drug addicts. The Legion would be pretty much unsustainable and the NCR would demolish them in any kind of real word situation. The only time I can even imagine someone siding with them is on a playthrough where you set out to beat the game with them because of curiosity.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Zorak posted:

It's be different if the Caesar had amassed any other idealistic individuals around him, or people who share the same ideas and goals for the Legion. Hell, ancient Rome while being a dictatorship still had a noble class and wealthy members which, while not in direct power, provided much needed support to the central powers. Nobles and other people "invested" in a related system are exceedingly important for the kind of system Caesar is building, but Caesar sees that as as a risk for corruption and such. He feels he can trust himself, and ONLY himself, when it comes to this sort of thing, and he can trust Lanius to be a murderous rear end in a top hat since he's simple minded, so he figures his system will work!!

But there's no lasting strength to it. Even if, as he thinks, he could create the hybrid government of NCR-mated-with-Legion and it takes New Vegas as its Rome, the second he's out of the picture, the entire system would collapse. It's an inherent flaw in most benevolent dictatorships when you get down to it. You can have a benevolent and beloved dictator or tyrant who does well by the people and has ideals. But if the system is one where the successor is functionally randomized or comes down to "who is the biggest murderer", the entire system will collapse or move most definitely away from the ideals it was formed on.

It's almost comical in how ill-thought it is. It's fun to bring Arcade with you when you first meet Caesar and he blows up when you step out the door going essentially "What a crock of poo poo!"

It's also great because you immediately go from this to your interview with House, who's exactly the same only with capitalism and technology instead of fascism and military strategy, and without the comparison it's not immediately evident what House's deal actually is.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 6, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Strudel Man posted:

Which is weird, because he sounds a lot more subtle in your conversation with him. People talk about him like he's a ravening beast, and then he's fairly intelligent when you speak to him, and then in the ending slides he's a ravening beast again. Odd.

Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean he's got much in the way of common sense, though. The conversation path makes him realise what sort of long term effects he would have on the Legion as a whole - burning everything absolutely screws your economy and sustainability. If he wins against the NCR, and with no Caesar holding his leash, he's probably too caught up in the :black101: GLORY OF VICTORY :black101: to take much notice of logistical matters until he's calmed down.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It's also great because you immediately go from this to your interview with House, who's exactly the same only with capitalism and technology instead of fascism and military strategy, and without the comparison it's not immediately evident what House's deal actually is.
Well, House has the advantage that he isn't going to die, which substantially changes the functional longevity of the system.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 6, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Who cares how goofy the Legion are, just shoot them all.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The difference with House is that he knows it's flawed as hell but doesn't even care, and the fact that he's immortal so it doesn't matter "what's next". He can laissez faire himself into eternity basically.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Brace posted:

I feel like Caesar's legion, while sure it would make sense if it actually existed in post apocalyptia, doesn't really make sense from a gameplay perspective. They're comically evil compared to any other faction in the game other than the Fiends, and the Fiends actually make sense considering their psychopathic hardcore drug addicts. The Legion would be pretty much unsustainable and the NCR would demolish them in any kind of real word situation. The only time I can even imagine someone siding with them is on a playthrough where you set out to beat the game with them because of curiosity.

If you're playing a "humanitarian" character, going with the Legion is the easiest route to get the Meat of Champions perk.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SourceElement posted:

If you're playing a "humanitarian" character, going with the Legion is the easiest route to get the Meat of Champions perk.
That entails only going with them up to a point, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've just noticed Strudel Man's tag. I imagine it in Caesar's voice and :haw:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

I've just noticed Strudel Man's tag. I imagine it in Caesar's voice and :haw:
This is the real reason he asks you to blow up the bunker beneath the Fort.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Zorak posted:

The difference with House is that he knows it's flawed as hell but doesn't even care, and the fact that he's immortal so it doesn't matter "what's next". He can laissez faire himself into eternity basically.

Dude has his obituary prepped and ready to go at any time, he's pretty aggressively cognizant of his own mortality. He just wants to think that he can cheat death forever if he schemes hard enough just like Caesar wants to think his eternal Reich will vindicate him if only he conquers hard enough; they've both had big initial successes but already hit the limits of their powers at the time of the story. When all you got is a hammer and all that.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 6, 2011

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think Caesar's Legion could've been fleshed out a lot more but it always bothers me when people say "oh there is no reason to side with them".
Make up a reason for your character. poo poo, if *you* don't feel they're viable at all, make up a character with low INT or something that's intent on following. Make a psycho character.
Hell, make an intelligent character (reminscant of Caesar perhaps) who just happens to be a bit unhinged. The beauty of New Vegas is that it *does* offer the player enough options to actually create different characters and have them go through the game in different ways, there are not many games out there like that, especially nowadays.

I think it's a lot of fun to speculate on how the various factions in NV would impact the wasteland (Caesar definitely wouldn't be my choice), but that discussion is completely secondary when creating characters if you ask me.

It's fun going Legion and butchering every NCR soldier you come across!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Out of curiosity, what's the best approach/ build for a non-lethal character?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I just don't like Honest Hearts. It's a few short quests with a bunch of annoying loving running in between them. Oh, and I crash when I try to fast travel between places, so I don't have to run so drat much. The only reason I'm playing through it(or was before the crashes started) was to get that light in the darkness gun.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Zorak posted:

Bean Bag shotgun rounds, the And Stay Back perk for said shotguns and the Golden Boxing gloves probably.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zorak posted:

Non-lethal while still being combat capable? I imagine heavy-ho would come in handy for that. Cripple legs, walk/run away

Oh man using VATS to shoot someone's gun then leave him limping but alive sounds badass. I may try that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Rephrase: non-violent :v:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Zorak posted:

10 END, dump all skill points into Speech and Sneak?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Zorak posted:

Non-lethal playthroughs are kind of a pain. You just pump Speech and take those quest options. Sneaking past everything is kind of boring, and the non-lethal options (golden gloves, bean bag rounds) are fun but your only option after knocking someone out is to run away.

Mods could make it easier. There's probably a mod that lets you steal equipped items/weapons.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

Star Guarded posted:

Non-lethal playthroughs are kind of a pain. You just pump Speech and take those quest options. Sneaking past everything is kind of boring, and the non-lethal options (golden gloves, bean bag rounds) are fun but your only option after knocking someone out is to run away.

Mods could make it easier. There's probably a mod that lets you steal equipped items/weapons.

I think the easiest way would be to run to Freeside, recruit Arcade, fast travel back to Goodsprings and get ED-E in Primm, then just walk around and let them protect you without ever fighting.

Also, if you don't want to kill anyone, recruit Lily and ED-E then set them to wait at some random location so that you get the Radar Perception and Stealth Boy duration bonuses, those will help you stay non-lethal.

Thrillhou fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 6, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Might be a good build to combine with that playthrough from the guy who never left the Goodsprings area until all food stocks ran out from a few pages back.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Thing about Bean Bag rounds is when you use them with Riot Shotgun you usually end up killing them before you knock them out, especially with Shotgun Surgeon.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zorak posted:

High charisma and have your companions do your killing.

Hey, technically you didn't kill anyone :smug:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zorak posted:

Speech, science, lockpick, maybe sneak. The aim is just to get as much XP as you can, so you can get to 100 speech or barter and win that way. Gather as many stealthboys as you can!

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Zorak posted:

The game is going to try and force some violent encounters on you. Some you can sneak around, some run around, others you might have to just reload from a previous save but I would put points into speech, science, lockpick, , repair, barter, sneak. You want to be able to talk, hack, trade, and MacGuyver you way out of situations. I would definitely keep and eye out for stealth boys to abuse them when needed for sure.

Now if non-violence doesn't extend to your companions, that is a different matter. Then you can just keep boon and ED-E around and have them take your foes down without you needing to lift a finger.

Also, abuse outfits, mags, and drugs as much as possible. Look for clothes that give +speech +barter and so on. Often times you can get up to the magical thresholds by a combination of them and/or with drugs(including alcohol).

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 6, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ddraig posted:

High charisma and have your companions do your killing.

Hey, technically you didn't kill anyone :smug:

With my Charisma of 7, Boone and ED-E pretty much kill anything before I can even see the enemies or before I can draw my weapon. drat kill-stealers! :argh:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
It might be doable to have a game where you just don't kill any humans; the wildlife is too... everywhere, but I can't think of any main plot points where it forces you to rumble with anyone unless you go Legion, none of the factions will have a go at you if you don't start poo poo with them, and Super Mutants, Fiends, etc. all pretty much stick to their own little areas you can just steer clear of. Might have to run away from the occasional Viper band or something but hey, at least they're mostly melee :v:

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 6, 2011

Floodworks
Apr 6, 2010

Our bones will bleach in the sun.

Starhawk64 posted:

With my Charisma of 7, Boone and ED-E pretty much kill anything before I can even see the enemies or before I can draw my weapon. drat kill-stealers! :argh:

with my charisma of 1, they do the exact same poo poo. charisma is worthless.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Also, I'm sure you can figure out what perks are good for such a character without to much issue. I believe Confirmed Bacherlor and Black Widow are probably the most useful out of the gender perks.

I wish Animal Friend wasn't so poo poo. Giant Radiscorps, Cadflies and DeathClaws are the real problems in the wasteland which even the second rank doesn't help with. If it did, I could see being able to go full non-violent.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Berk Berkly posted:

I wish Animal Friend wasn't so poo poo. Giant Radiscorps, Cadflies and DeathClaws are the real problems in the wasteland which even the second rank doesn't help with. If it did, I could see being able to go full non-violent.

Animal friend is pretty much awesome. The second rank turns the game into Happy Hour at Shenanigans. Legion patrol near the lake attacks you and bam! a pack of nightstalkers out of nowhere starts mutilating them. Powder Gangers attacking you on the road? Coyotes to the rescue!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Omnicarus posted:

Animal friend is pretty much awesome. The second rank turns the game into Happy Hour at Shenanigans. Legion patrol near the lake attacks you and bam! a pack of nightstalkers out of nowhere starts mutilating them. Powder Gangers attacking you on the road? Coyotes to the rescue!

I just shoot the docile animals for free xp.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Zorak posted:

Dump points on Int and Cha (without dropping anything prefably) tag Science, Speech and Lockpick. Take Good Natured and Skilled traits if you are not going to play Weird Wasteland perk. Off the bat, this setup will let you hack/lockpick/talk your way out everything game can throw at you from the start.

At level two slam Educated perk and put some points in Guns or Energy Weapons for monsters and places you can't avoid combat. Energy Weapons might be a better choice because since you are going to pump Science that gives Recycle options for ammo.

With couple of magazines, smart use of chems and alcohol you can peacefully resolve the poo poo out of almost everything.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 7, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Dude has his obituary prepped and ready to go at any time, he's pretty aggressively cognizant of his own mortality. He just wants to think that he can cheat death forever if he schemes hard enough just like Caesar wants to think his eternal Reich will vindicate him if only he conquers hard enough;
Those two things aren't very much like each other. He's already cheated death for hundreds of years amidst a ruined civilization; there's no reason to think he won't continue to do so unless the Courier breaks in and tenderizes him. He has his obituary prepped and ready to go because planning literally everything is kind of his thing. Like an undead batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodworks
Apr 6, 2010

Our bones will bleach in the sun.
Right. Because what else would you do if you spent all your time hooked into a big tube?