Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

benito posted:

Chili is probably your friend here (and don't give him crap about beans or no beans).

I'm not trying to start a huge fight here, but why are beans in chili such a contentious issue? Chili is such a simple and unpretentious food but people have gotten genuinely angry at me for putting beans in it. I think it's a great way for my broke rear end to get more bang for my buck. Beans are cheap :)

It's like people getting pissed over ketchup on hot dogs. Who the hell cares and why does it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Douche Bag posted:

I'm not trying to start a huge fight here, but why are beans in chili such a contentious issue? Chili is such a simple and unpretentious food but people have gotten genuinely angry at me for putting beans in it. I think it's a great way for my broke rear end to get more bang for my buck. Beans are cheap :)

It's like people getting pissed over ketchup on hot dogs. Who the hell cares and why does it matter?

People have pride in having food a certain way, it almost if not actually does tie into their culture/heritage. You'll find more people in Texas who'd argue about beans/no beans than perhaps in Massachusetts. But even that's a tiny thing compared to how serious people get about their barbecue.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

RazorBunny posted:

Whole? Because I have a fair amount of ground stuff already, and I was hoping to make use of the whole seeds.

I don't do any authentic Mexican cooking, really. Taco night probably doesn't count. But I suppose I could learn :)

My husband will like that, he's a big chai fan. Thanks!

Ground. I can't think of a lot of whole uses for it actually.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

RazorBunny posted:

After making pho from scratch, I have a ridiculously huge amount of the spices left over. Korean grocery stores never seem to sell herbs and spices in small quantities.

I was thinking of using some of the cinnamon, cloves, and star anise to make mulled cider, and fennel seed is part of my Italian sausage recipe, but what do I do with the black cardamom pods and the whole coriander seed? Besides make more pho, which I fully plan to do, but the recipe doesn't call for very much and I have LOTS. The coriander seed completely fills a standard-size sandwich bag, to the point of being difficult to close.

Sounds like you have most of the ingredients for Indian curry or garam masala.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Mach420 posted:

Sounds like you have most of the ingredients for Indian curry or garam masala.

Yeah, there are tons of Indian dishes you can use cardamom and coriander in. Go make dal sambar or biryani or something.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Saeku posted:

Yeah, there are tons of Indian dishes you can use cardamom and coriander in. Go make dal sambar or biryani or something.

Be sure to fry the spices or something first before grinding, it gives a nice flavor.

Edit: v put it way better than I did

Comic fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 6, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
whole spices + dry pan+ heat = delicious toasted spices, grind them for way better than jarred preground. coriander goes in lots of stuff, and I often find it delicious in things it is not a traditional ingredient in!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Yes. Toast the whole spices first, then grind!

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
The dhal recipe here uses cardamom and coriander seeds. The curry on that page is also awesome. Allegra McEvedy is boss.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here ever buy meats from an Asian market? I normally stick to sauces and dry goods there, but mine tends to stock things like pork belly that can be otherwise difficult to find. Should I be nervous about the freshness/quality of the meats they sell?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Ok, I'd like to preface this by saying i'm a total nooby to cooking in general (I can make basic stews and bolognese). Additionally, i'm a student, and I live in the UK at the moment, read into that as you will ;).

Anyway, i've eaten out once or twice in the past two months at places that served japanese style ramen, and I really really enjoyed it on both occasions (I think once I had tonkotsu and the other... I can't remember). Obviously it was in a completely different league to instant noodles that I am understandably familiar with.

Hence, A couple of questions: How difficult is it to make such food at home? Are the ingredients typically difficult or expensive to acquire? What kind of equipment does one need to make it? Is one particular type harder than another to do correctly?

Thanks in advance :)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Anyone have a good generalized replacement for tomatoes in recipes? I have an allergy (not life-threatening, just annoying gastrointestinal distress) that I discovered in college, and man do I miss ketchup in particular, plus pizza and marinara and chili.

I've been able to work something out for chili based on peppers / onions / carrots / vinegar, and have made a sauce with beets and carrots that is not entirely unlike ketchup, but I'm looking for any ideas for better or more general replacements.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does anyone here ever buy meats from an Asian market? I normally stick to sauces and dry goods there, but mine tends to stock things like pork belly that can be otherwise difficult to find. Should I be nervous about the freshness/quality of the meats they sell?

I regularly buy pork belly, oxtails, chicken/duck wings and seafood from my local asian market and have never had any trouble with it, but it probably depends on the market. The one I go to is converted from an old Hy-Vee and is absolutely huge and in the middle of one of the snoodiest neighborhoods in Kansas (yeah, I know, Kansas...). They probably couldnt get away with anything but good quality.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a general ratio of salt to ground beef for properly seasoning hamburgers? When I season things normally I taste as I go which works fine, but I'm not about to add some salt to some raw beef and taste it. I also don't feel like having to season, cook a little bit, try it, season some more, cook some more, try that, etc. I mean I'll do that if I have to but it just seems like there should be a rule of thumb ratio, like tbsp of salt per lbs or oz of beef, no?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Is there a general ratio of salt to ground beef for properly seasoning hamburgers? When I season things normally I taste as I go which works fine, but I'm not about to add some salt to some raw beef and taste it. I also don't feel like having to season, cook a little bit, try it, season some more, cook some more, try that, etc. I mean I'll do that if I have to but it just seems like there should be a rule of thumb ratio, like tbsp of salt per lbs or oz of beef, no?

not really. trust your seasoning hand. you'll be surprised how close you can get. remember though it's always better to underseason than to overseason.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I personally care about where my meat comes from. I have no evidence for why I believe this, so if someone wants to step in and educate me, that'd be awesome, but I just get this feeling that they source the meat from farms that don't raise/slaughter their animals in what I would consider to be an ethical, sustainable or responsible manner.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

heeebrew posted:

I personally care about where my meat comes from. I have no evidence for why I believe this, so if someone wants to step in and educate me, that'd be awesome, but I just get this feeling that they source the meat from farms that don't raise/slaughter their animals in what I would consider to be an ethical, sustainable or responsible manner.

Is that because you're a racist? Otherwise, I can't see why you'd think that with no evidence for your belief.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Is that because you're a racist? Otherwise, I can't see why you'd think that with no evidence for your belief.

I worry about the quality for a variety of reasons. First, Asian markets always smell weird to me, like some food that has gone off. Then there's the fact the meat case is almost always 3/4 empty. I rarely see people buying meat. No one in the store speaks enough english for me to ask where the meat comes from, or how fresh it is.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
FGR: if the meat case at your particular market is mostly empty and you don't see shoppers, don't buy from them. A proper Asian meat market will sound like a cross between a Hong Kong action film and a Mexican soap opera, with people of many ethnicities and nationalities clamoring for the butcher's attention. The meat should be bright in color and should not look too dry or too slippery. Ask the butcher to let you smell the meat--smell it deep and ignore the usual "Asian market smell"--if it smells like nothing, or like a slaughterhouse, you're fine. If it smells like a zombie, like garbage, or like pr0k's mom, don't buy it.

I've had excellent success with meat from high end and well-trafficked Asian markets, but if there's not a lot of traffic then that's a good sign that even the Asian locals just go to a regular supermarket for meat.

Edit: And pick your cuts based on the ethnicity of the market owners. We buy our beef ribs from H-mart, because Koreans know them some fine kalbi.
Edit 2: And I never, ever buy fresh seafood except from an "off the boat" fishmonger or Whole Foods.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 6, 2011

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

The Macaroni posted:

Edit 2: And I never, ever buy fresh seafood except from an "off the boat" fishmonger or Whole Foods.

Asian supermarket near here has a literal wall of tanks with seafood swimming about in it, ripe for you to point and claim. I have no issues with buying fresh seafood in this situation, it's rather nice since I'm in a landlocked state.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I feel like I'm going full-retard with this question but here goes. I recently bought a slow cooker because I am a lazy student, but no longer am content to eat takeaways and ready meals 24/7. So I fry up my mince, fry some onions, etc etc pop it all in the slow cooker and away I go.

The meal is bland, but edible. A decent first attempt. But halfway through eating I realise "I can't find my fried onions." Where did they go? Do onions dissolve or something? I'm so confused :eng99:

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

A jargogle posted:

Ok, I'd like to preface this by saying i'm a total nooby to cooking in general (I can make basic stews and bolognese). Additionally, i'm a student, and I live in the UK at the moment, read into that as you will ;).

Anyway, i've eaten out once or twice in the past two months at places that served japanese style ramen, and I really really enjoyed it on both occasions (I think once I had tonkotsu and the other... I can't remember). Obviously it was in a completely different league to instant noodles that I am understandably familiar with.

Hence, A couple of questions: How difficult is it to make such food at home? Are the ingredients typically difficult or expensive to acquire? What kind of equipment does one need to make it? Is one particular type harder than another to do correctly?

Thanks in advance :)

I can't help you with the noodles themselves, but you can make the broth yourself. The Hakata ramen thread will show you how.

Fresh ramen noodles are worlds above the stuff that comes in the cups and packets. Unfortunately, I can't help you there, since I just buy those fresh noodles from the local Asian market. The only dried packet ramen that comes close is the Myojo Chukazanmai brand. They don't prefry their noodles and it comes out similar to the fresh ramen texture. Unfortunately, they tend to be 3 or 4 times what the lovely noodles cost per packet.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

Huh.
I've gotten burned the two times I tried to buy fish at Whole Foods (whole yellowtail snapper, and salmon I think) - the dude behind the counter wouldn't let me smell it or inspect it closely, and lo and behold, when I get it home it smells fishy as gently caress and is clearly past it's prime.
I also bought a bunch of chicken thighs there that I recall smelled/looked fine, but they turned the next day.
I don't buy meat or fish there anymore.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I feel like I'm going full-retard with this question but here goes. I recently bought a slow cooker because I am a lazy student, but no longer am content to eat takeaways and ready meals 24/7. So I fry up my mince, fry some onions, etc etc pop it all in the slow cooker and away I go.

The meal is bland, but edible. A decent first attempt. But halfway through eating I realise "I can't find my fried onions." Where did they go? Do onions dissolve or something? I'm so confused :eng99:

Depending on how long you cooked it for they may have indeed broken down into pieces so small you would be unable to locate them.

In terms of blandness though, I must ask: did you add salt at any point? Did you add some sort of acid, like vinegar or lemon juice? These two things are really important in making sure something doesn't end up bland. It's also good to add a little bit of heat to it. Cayenne pepper has more uses than you could possibly imagine. After that the other spices come in, black pepper being the most obvious and useful.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

There are some missing pieces here, most notably, How big were the pieces of onion? How much onion did you put in (1 whole, 1 half?)? When you say fried do you mean like onion rings, or just pan fried and softened? How long was everything in the slow cooker? And What liquid if any did you cook everything in?

Short version: small bits of softened onion, cooked in lots of liquid for a few hours will dissolve into the liquid/meat mash. If you want to have bits of onion to munch on and you are doing slow cooking, you can either cut them into larger chunks (I go for quarters if I'm cooking a stew), or add some at the beginning and add the rest an hour or two before serving. That will let them add flavor through the cooking process, and still give texture at the end.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

Huh.
I've gotten burned the two times I tried to buy fish at Whole Foods (whole yellowtail snapper, and salmon I think) - the dude behind the counter wouldn't let me smell it or inspect it closely, and lo and behold, when I get it home it smells fishy as gently caress and is clearly past it's prime.
I also bought a bunch of chicken thighs there that I recall smelled/looked fine, but they turned the next day.
I don't buy meat or fish there anymore.

Yeah if they won't let you look at it or smell it, don't buy from there.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kenning posted:

Depending on how long you cooked it for they may have indeed broken down into pieces so small you would be unable to locate them.

In terms of blandness though, I must ask: did you add salt at any point? Did you add some sort of acid, like vinegar or lemon juice? These two things are really important in making sure something doesn't end up bland. It's also good to add a little bit of heat to it. Cayenne pepper has more uses than you could possibly imagine. After that the other spices come in, black pepper being the most obvious and useful.

CzarChasm posted:

There are some missing pieces here, most notably, How big were the pieces of onion? How much onion did you put in (1 whole, 1 half?)? When you say fried do you mean like onion rings, or just pan fried and softened? How long was everything in the slow cooker? And What liquid if any did you cook everything in?

Short version: small bits of softened onion, cooked in lots of liquid for a few hours will dissolve into the liquid/meat mash. If you want to have bits of onion to munch on and you are doing slow cooking, you can either cut them into larger chunks (I go for quarters if I'm cooking a stew), or add some at the beginning and add the rest an hour or two before serving. That will let them add flavor through the cooking process, and still give texture at the end.

I didn't add any salt, but I did add chilli powder and hot pepper sauce, though I don't think I added nearly enough hot pepper sauce. The brand I usually use (Encona) is no longer stocked at my supermarket, so I had to improvise with something else. And I used a whole onion (diced into fairly small chunks), pan fried with the mince and then added to a jar of bolognese sauce in the slow cooker for about 8 hours.

It's my simple quick fix chilli that I usually make; fried mince, bolognese sauce, hot pepper sauce and chilli powder, except I added the slow cooker and some fried onions into the mix. Turned out tasting much less interesting than when I usually cook it, though I'm putting that down to not using the right, or right amount, of hot pepper sauce.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Where can I find Mr. Wiggles' pumpkin curry recipe? I checked the wiki and tried google but no luck.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
What is the best thing to do with a Chuck Eye Roast? I coated it yesterday in garlic/rosemary/salt/pepper and let it marinate for 24 hours. Then I cooked it the Cooks Illustrated method (sear all sides, cook away from heat in a disposable aluminum). Turned out great, but I cooked it to 130 and there was still a lot of fat in the roast. How can I melt that poo poo?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah if they won't let you look at it or smell it, don't buy from there.

Always always smell fish before you buy it. Always. It should smell like fresh water, or maybe a little briny, but it should never smell like "fish".

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

EVG posted:

Where can I find Mr. Wiggles' pumpkin curry recipe? I checked the wiki and tried google but no luck.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2110288

In case you don't have archives, here is the whole thread. I apologize that only one image was still there:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pumpkin always brings to mind warm feelings and happy tastes. And to those of us who grew up in certain parts of the world (California, Britian, India) Indian food does the same. So I decided I'd try to combine the two. And yeah, the cookies aren't really Indian, but it's not like I could do a pumpkin entry without some sort of traditional dessert. So, then, I give to you my Indian pumpkin feast, and I hope it makes you into one big warm fuzzy of happy goodness.

Menu:

Pumpkin Curry
Pumpkin Dal
Pumpkin Chapatis
Pumpkin Chai
Pumpkin Cookies

Ingredients:
For the Curry
1 pie pumpkin
1 large onion
A few cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
Dried red chiles
Coconut milk
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon cardamom
Oil (I don't have ghee)

For the Dal
1 pie pumpkin
1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 small onion
A few cloves garlic
Dried red chiles
Coconut milk
1 tablespoon tumeric
1 tablespoon cardamom
1 tablespoon sugar
Oil

For the Chapatis
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
2/3 a can pumpkin puree

For the Chai
4 Chai teabags or looseleaf equivalent
1/3 a can pumpkin puree
Milk

For the Cookies
1 stick butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 boxes raisins
1 3/4 cups unbleached white flour

Method:

First, we'll make the cookies. This can be done up to a couple of days ahead, but cookies don't usually last that long in my house, so I did them this afternoon. Preheat your oven to 350, and combine the butter and sugars:

Cream together until fluffy:

Add the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla:

And combine:

In a seperate bowl, combine the other ingredients:

Then combine that into the pumpkin mixture:

Drop onto a well greased cookie sheet by the heaping teaspoonfull:

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until browning at the edges. Let cool on racks or aluminum foil until after supper:

Next we make the chapati dough. Combine the flour, salt, and oil in a bowl:

Add 2/3 a can pumpkin puree:

Mix with a fork, adding water as needed, until a stiff yet moist dough is formed. Set this aside to rest for a while:

Time to cook the lentils. Add them to a pan with twice as much water, some salt, and about a teaspoon of tumeric:

Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. In the meantime, take one pumpkin:

Remove the guts, skin, and set aside manageable pieces. Repeat for both pumpkins you have:

Oh, the lentils are done! Set them aside for now, covered:

To make the dal, saute onion and garlic in oil for a minute or two over medium heat in a heavy pan:

Add the chopped flesh of one pumpkin:

Let that cook for a few minutes, and toss in the 1 tablespoon of ginger:

And the chiles:

The cardamom and sugar:

Once all that has started to cook nicely, add in the lentils:

Mix in about 1/4 cup of coconut milk, and move to low heat:

Add enough water to give the mixture an almost soupy consitancy, and then let it cook over very low heat, occasionally adding water if it becomes too dried out:

The curry begins in much the same way. Saute onion in oil for a few minutes over medium heat:

Add the rest of the remaining fresh pumpkin, chopped a little larger than in the dal:

Let that cook for about 3 minutes, then add the coriander and cumin:

Then the tumeric and cardamom:

Dried chiles:

And the garlic and ginger. Let cook for about 5 minutes:

Stir in the rest of the coconut milk, cover, and let simmer over very low heat until the rest of the meal is done:

Using wet hands, roll out the chapati dough into balls:

Roll in flour:

Then roll out using a rolling pin into thin tortilla-like circles:

Continue through all the dough balls, and stack these up (the flour will prevent sticking) and heat up a griddle to very high:

Throw down on that hot, hot griddle:

Turn once in about a minute:

Then turn again, and let cook until the chapatis start to puff up:

Put them on a plate, covered with a paper towel, until serving:

In the meantime, put two cups water in a saucepan, and add 4 chai teabags (or looseleaf chai in a teaball - I just happened to be out of loose leaf):

Once simmering, let it go for about 5 minutes, then remove the teabags. The liquor in the pot should be very fragrant:

Add in the remaining 1/3 can of pumpkin you had left from the chapatis:

Mix this in. It will disvolve quite fast:

Add milk to get to the proper color, and simmer until the entire mixture is hot, perhaps adding some sugar if that's your taste:

The dal looks done:

As does the curry:

Serve to your happy, happy friends and family (or anyone else):

Don't forget the cookies!

Edit: would it be terribly presumptuous of me to add things to the wiki? I have archives access and time on my hands, but although I read GWS regularly I don't post much, and I don't want to piss off people who have access to boiling oil and really good knives. :ohdear:

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 7, 2011

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Zedlic posted:

I'm attending a potluck with colleagues in a couple of weeks, and the theme is pumpkin. I want to skip the traditional pumpkin dishes and go for something either not very traditional or completely crazy out of left field stuff.

A little late but Suzanne Goin has a phenomenal roasted Squash and Fennel soup recipe from Sunday Suppers at Lucques that I made three times last year and will make again this weekend. It's so good even my fennel and squash hating husband loved it. I think it would work really well with sugar pumpkin.

Here's someone else that made it: http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2010/10/roasted_squash_fennel_soup.html

Or you might be able to get the recipe directly out of the book on Google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=F8i3E4emYJIC

That is a fantastic cookbook, by the way. I've made several things and they've all been really wonderful.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Edit: would it be terribly presumptuous of me to add things to the wiki? I have archives access and time on my hands, but although I read GWS regularly I don't post much, and I don't want to piss off people who have access to boiling oil and really good knives. :ohdear:

I don't think anyone would be mad at you for helping the wiki :)

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So I fry up my mince, fry some onions, etc etc pop it all in the slow cooker and away I go.

The meal is bland, but edible.

Can you expand on this part in bold please?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I opened a can of pumpkin for smoothies earlier this week. I'd like to use the rest of it in one go but I'm not sure what savory things would work with a pumpkin puree. I looked on the wiki but gnocchi scares me and all the other pumpkin stuff uses whole pumpkin or is dessert. Can't have dessert cuz I'm on a diet, my smoothie was an approximation of pumpkin pie to make me feel better about it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^ Uh, you did see the awesome pumpkin curry post up above, right?

I can't believe I'm posting this: tell me something to do with ground beef that involves very high heat. My mom-in-law bought a package of "expires today! On sale!" ground beef and for some mysterious reason put it into the freezer, the worst possible thing to do with bargain near-rotten meat. I think I could still probably cook it without dying, but it should be something involving high heat. Preferably something where I place the frozen meat directly into a hot pan and cook it directly into lovely gray bacteria-free mush. Any exciting suggestions?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I didn't add any salt, but I did add chilli powder and hot pepper sauce, though I don't think I added nearly enough hot pepper sauce. The brand I usually use (Encona) is no longer stocked at my supermarket, so I had to improvise with something else. And I used a whole onion (diced into fairly small chunks), pan fried with the mince and then added to a jar of bolognese sauce in the slow cooker for about 8 hours.

It's my simple quick fix chilli that I usually make; fried mince, bolognese sauce, hot pepper sauce and chilli powder, except I added the slow cooker and some fried onions into the mix. Turned out tasting much less interesting than when I usually cook it, though I'm putting that down to not using the right, or right amount, of hot pepper sauce.

Your usual hot sauce might have quite a bit of salt in it, and changing sauces might have made it bland. You should always add at least some salt to your food, often quite a bit of salt. People have been convinced that salt is unhealthy, and that's bullshit. Unless you have a very particular medical condition, you can eat all the salt you want and you'll just piss it out. Don't hesitate to add salt to your food if it tastes bland, that's the first likely culprit.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kenning posted:

Your usual hot sauce might have quite a bit of salt in it, and changing sauces might have made it bland. You should always add at least some salt to your food, often quite a bit of salt. People have been convinced that salt is unhealthy, and that's bullshit. Unless you have a very particular medical condition, you can eat all the salt you want and you'll just piss it out. Don't hesitate to add salt to your food if it tastes bland, that's the first likely culprit.

As a first time poster in GWS, do you really think I'm concerned with healthy eating? :v: I'll add some salt next time.

Also for the guy that wanted my exact list of ingredients for my quick-fix chilli you're going to be pretty disappointed because it is usually: fried mince, jar of bolognese sauce, hot pepper sauce (Encona West Indian Pepper Sauce, don't think it's sold in the US though), hot chilli powder. All stuck in a pot on the hob and warmed through til cooked after all the fat's been fried out. It usually tastes nigh-on delicious but for some reason (either the slow cooking or the new sauce) it was just bland as.

And yes, I'm aware that putting mince and bolognese sauce together then adding spicy sauces does not constitute cooking :colbert: I just wanted to know where my onions went because it was a kitchen mystery! :(

E: I'm using 500g of mince (pre-cooked weight) and 560g of bolognese sauce, how much salt should I be adding to that?

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 7, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

wormil posted:

Can anyone summarize which vegetables I should salt before cooking/steaming/etc and which after? I've heard on some cooking show long ago that green vegetables should be salted before cooking and everything else after... true/false/more complicated than that?

Veg are way more forgiving than you're letting them be. Add salt whenever you feel like you'd like the salt in. For example, with any green veg (broccoli, green beans, collard greens) that I'm flash steaming, I don't bother to add salt till after cooking, because the salt isn't going to penetrate anyway. With long cooking starchy veg, like potatoes, yucca, etc, that I'm cooking in large quantities of water, I'll liberally salt the water, because the salt will penetrate and flavour the veg. If I'm stir-frying, or roasting anything, I'll salt while I'm going.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

E: I'm using 500g of mince (pre-cooked weight) and 560g of bolognese sauce, how much salt should I be adding to that?

No idea, add salt until it tastes good. There's just no way to tell someone how much salt they should put in their food, there are too many factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I buy all of my pork from the local asian market, in particular the ground pork is really amazing. I sometimes get fish there, too.

Goes without saying that it is my only source for weirdo meats.