Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
-Auras are your friend. Any of the auras from the Sorcery Tree work well for pets because they affect pets around you. Probably the most noteworthy ones are Aura of Radiant Protection and Aura of Ebon Destruction, which work as mini defensive and offensive passives, respectively, which also apply similar boosts to targets around you. The fabled Aura of Primal Majesty also can work; the pets do gain stat increases, but all that results in is a slight increase in survivability and damage, I feel.
-Inertial Dampening Field provides extra protection for your pets. It's extremely good for typical PvE situations.
-This is pure theory, but the more and more pets you get, the less and less useful healing pets become, as they get distracted by the lowering health of your other pets. Since pets are primarily disposable, this isn't a preferable thing, as you would want your pets to focus their healing powers on you. Healing Drones can be exempt from this if ranked to full, as their healing aura can hit a wide number of targets.
-A note about Munitions Bots: Don't bother R3ing them, as all that does is increase their range. Almost always, you're going to be fighting your enemies at around 50 feet unless you're taking some very unusual attack pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bluhman posted:

-Auras are your friend. Any of the auras from the Sorcery Tree work well for pets because they affect pets around you. Probably the most noteworthy ones are Aura of Radiant Protection and Aura of Ebon Destruction, which work as mini defensive and offensive passives, respectively, which also apply similar boosts to targets around you. The fabled Aura of Primal Majesty also can work; the pets do gain stat increases, but all that results in is a slight increase in survivability and damage, I feel.
-Inertial Dampening Field provides extra protection for your pets. It's extremely good for typical PvE situations.
Yeah. Have AoRProtection and IDF, and your pets will be crazy durable. Hell, it makes you crazy durable too; not quite at the level of a Defiance or Invuln guy, but close, and with a bunch of pets to soak damage and aggro for you too. Primal Majesty sadly is better suited to certain gimmick builds or to group focused characters, yeah.

quote:

-This is pure theory, but the more and more pets you get, the less and less useful healing pets become, as they get distracted by the lowering health of your other pets. Since pets are primarily disposable, this isn't a preferable thing, as you would want your pets to focus their healing powers on you. Healing Drones can be exempt from this if ranked to full, as their healing aura can hit a wide number of targets.
This is the advantage to Rank 2/3 Support Drones though, in that their healing is AoE. Sure you'll likely wind up with damage across your pets, but if it's AoEs they'll be resisting it pretty well (especially with AoRP/IDF) and be topped off in moments. The bigger disadvantage to the drones is that they'll go off and heal other players and non-pet NPCs ahead of you, which may or may not be useful.

Radiant Summoning is just poo poo all around though. Single-target healing that takes nearly a second to activate and barely exceeds one support drone output, middling damage (and you can reconfigure the support drones if you need more damage for some reason anyway), and most importantly, it can't heal itself. There's no reason to take it except for concept concerns.

quote:

-A note about Munitions Bots: Don't bother R3ing them, as all that does is increase their range. Almost always, you're going to be fighting your enemies at around 50 feet unless you're taking some very unusual attack pattern.
I'll have to disagree there. Rank 3 adds more damage, just like rank 2 does; it doesn't seem like much addition, but keep in mind they're hitting several times per second across two bots. And while the extra range doesn't sound like a big deal, you'll want to keep the bots turreted down as often as possible, and the extra range gives you a huge leeway for dropping them outside of enemy AoE radii, giving you a lot more room to move in a fight without needing to de-emplace them, or let you emplace them and handle multiple groups before you need to pull them up. It's a surprisingly large convenience, even if you have to change tactics you've learned beforehand to exploit it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I am talking hoards and hoards of pets, as many as possible.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

ColHannibal posted:

I am talking hoards and hoards of pets, as many as possible.

Summon Shadows summons three at a time (though temporary). Command Animals, Support Drones and Munitions Bots are two at a time. Attack Toys start with one at a time but can replicate. Ball Lightning is three temporary lightning balls, March of the Dead is three zombies but gimps your energy severely while active, Summon Nightmare gives two when fully charged, Collective Will spawns bonus pets if nearby enemies are Held, Confused or Asleep.

If you're interested in the Ritual pets, they'll cost an extra 2 Adv points each and more energy to summon if you want more than one.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

This is gonna be really sad when you get all this and spend half your time yelling at your pets to stop running into walls and help you fight..

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

randombattle posted:

This is gonna be really sad when you get all this and spend half your time yelling at your pets to stop running into walls and help you fight..

Kind of seems like that would just enhance the Mecha Nixon gimmick.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Touche...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

delfin posted:

If you're interested in the Ritual pets, they'll cost an extra 2 Adv points each and more energy to summon if you want more than one.
This isn't quite as bad as it sounds, as in general you'll want to Rank 3 as many pets as possible - the penalty to your endurance regen and endurance costs is static, so there's no reason not to make the most of it. They only fall short in that they seem balanced to a similar level as the other pets, but can only get to "rank 2" while keeping the same free functionality. It'd probably have been better doing the reverse; instead of needing an advantage to let them move from the circle, it'd be an advantage to force them to stay within, but with correspondingly larger buffs. But eh, that'll never happen.

But yeah. Don't forget the non-controllable pets, especially if you just want to spam the screen. Resurrection Serum in Gadgeteering has a zombie-summoning extra too; it's probably not worth the effort due to its requirements and relative ineffectiveness versus Summon Shadows or March of the Dead, but hey, one more to add onto the pile. Also note that March of the Dead especially is rather crazy damage for what it is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So since nobody has any ideas, it falls to me again.

If we don't get a better suggestion, I'm doing a sports team CC next.

Categories would be "Hockey, Football, Baseball and Basketball. gently caress Soccer." That's a quote because that's how I'm saying it.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

randombattle posted:

It's not really that bad :p

Here's what I have on my pet character...I wanted to stick with permanent controllable pets:

Command Animals
Void Horror
Arctic Beast
Support Drones
Tyrranon's Familiar
Ritual of Radiant/Primal/Ebon/Acrane Summoning (all with the unbound advantage)

Aura of Ebon Destruction
Arcane Blast (think I had to take this to get deep enough into the tree for summons)
Vala's Light (AoE heal)
Eldritch Shield (random block power)

I guess you could probably swap the heal for IDF or muni bots if you really wanted, w/ muni bots, you'd have 13 non-temp pets up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who wants to see me get a CO forums warning?!

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=1962873#post1962873

This probably isn't going to end well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Kind of easy to miss this if you don't read and click every update, but holy poo poo! I want em.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Ok I love that.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Did someone say "pouches"!?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Light Gun Man posted:

Kind of easy to miss this if you don't read and click every update, but holy poo poo! I want em.

This is so perfect, I've always wanted pointless straps everywhere and giant dumb shoulderpads and infinite pouches.

I really wish they had done this sooner. It's spot-on 90s heroes.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I like it, but I'm not thinking 'first day buy' unless it also comes with some gritty, anatomically incorrect teeth.

Like this:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have the idea for our Halloween costume contest.

We take all the existing popular categories, like we did for the 2 word CC last time, and put Slutty before them. Everyone knows that Halloween is the time for people to wear slutty versions of regular things ((And if you didn't every stand-up comedian will tell you.)

So...

Slutty Tech
Slutty Retro
Slutty Fantasy
Slutty Creature
Slutty Oddball
Etc.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

So basically, this?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Sounds good, but what would Slutty Sexy be?

Would it be replaced with Slutty Cute? :gonk:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Slutty Slut.

Also I was thinking of retiring Nixon from CC's, but in this crazy world we live in we need him more than ever.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Clearly missing Slutty Conservative.

That'll wreck those contestants for sure. I think they all have to default to max tit slider before they're allowed to make their character.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
How can the people in the TOR thread be this stupid, "all games that use @account are stupid, il get banned if someone else with my same character name harasses people"

It's idiots like this that ruined rift for me, *cough WoW group cough*, I'm not going to let them ruin TOR!

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
And you're going to poo poo on the CO thread about this too?

P.S.: One person claimed that. I'm not going to argue why I don't like the system because it would result in nothing. CO is still a good game, though.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 10, 2011

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

sentrygun posted:

Clearly missing Slutty Conservative.

That'll wreck those contestants for sure. I think they all have to default to max tit slider before they're allowed to make their character.

Well, considering max tit slider *is* the default, no big deal :v:

Also: Dear Cryptic: release the pulp set soon, ok? I really want that set, and also the guitar axe, like, yesterday. Lemmy demands his (bass) guitar axe!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like the archetype rotation thing isn't permanent. It lasts 6 weeks.

However, anyone who logs in during those 6 weeks gets a free character slot through the C-Store. Gold or Silver.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is the character slot thing up already? I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Is the character slot thing up already? I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

It should be. Check the Bonus section of the store.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I don't seem to have it available either. :smith:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the in-game store only, and only activated at 12 PST/3 EST.

Should be there now for sure, but I'm not home yet to check myself.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I was checking the in-game store at around 4 EST, got nothin'. I imagine someone at Cryptic just messed something up anyway. Only thing on the bonus tab is that "One-hour XP Boost" thing they gave away a few months back, already purchased.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've updated the page now. Character slot goes up tomorrow.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Why do they keep giving me more slots.. I'll just make new characters!

I've had a lifetime sub since beta and I'm never gonna get to end game.
:negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You've had a lifetime sub since beta and still think there's an endgame?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Well level cap at least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For some reason this thing was named Willemdafoe.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

So the new trick or treat bags can apparently give you a temporary mummy sidekick, who comes with two travel power skins. Any news on what those skins are?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlyinPingu posted:

So the new trick or treat bags can apparently give you a temporary mummy sidekick, who comes with two travel power skins. Any news on what those skins are?

It's a Become Device, not a Sidekick.

One is Scarab Tunneling.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Pretty sure the other is fly-flight, which turns you into a swarm of flies that can fly around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To people who are not on right now: For the Halloween CC, we're going to give away Trick or Treat Bags.

We already have 6. They cost 100 CPoints. If anyone wants to contribute one, let me know. The CC is going to have as many categories as we can get bags (Up to a max of 10. Any more than that would take forever.)

If you are contributing, please buy it ASAP. They're only on the store for a limited time, so there's a chance they'll be gone come CC time. You can either hold on to it, or let me know and I'll meet you in-game to pick it up.

As a bonus, you get to choose a category if you contribute. Yay you! Only one rule: The category must be Slutty ________.

Donators so far:
jjac
Shr3d - Slutty Cartoon Character
Shaosyant - Slutty Hobo
Kerrzhe - Slutty Mad Science
Me
Rufus T Firefly - Slutty Muppet
whaaaat (Maybe)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I'm gonna go ahead and claim Slutty Mad Science. Could be Mad Scientists, or the abominations against nature that they create. Sluttily.