Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I feel like adding this:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2011/NAV11142.txt posted:

5. EARLY SEPARATION REQUESTS WILL NOT BE APPROVED FOR SAILORS:
A. IN NUCLEAR RATINGS;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Protip: get denuked.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Protip: get denuked.

Worked for my chief.

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007
Doom and Bad--All at Once

My buddy got told by his recruiter there will be some days during training that you want to go home and put a bullet in your head but you can't since you gotta put in 5 more hours tonight. That part was true for training and the rest of the time.

So true.
I guess the guy that shot himself in the head Friday night (during a party with his friends in base-housing) was done for the week. :geno:

Harmburger posted:

I'm wanting to join the nuke program, filling out the paperwork with my recuiter. He wants to enter me into the DEP program next Tuesday as some sort of non-nuke rate, I think one of the ET classifications. I've been clear with him that I want to ship out to boot with an Nuclear Field rating, and he said that I will. I understand that DEP is reversible and you haven't signed away your life(yet), and what really matters is on the enlistment contract you sign shortly before you go to boot.

What I'm asking here is: Do I have my facts straight? Is it common to enter into DEP with one rate and be reclassed? This isn't going to ensure I can't be a nuke, correct?
Just get re-rated before your ship date. You have pretty much no chance of re-rating (to Nuke) at Boot Camp.

Also, during boot camp, conventional ET really meant FC. For 19 out of 20 people in my division.

Edit: I have less than 30 days left til A School Comp. I'm willing to say it absolutely sucked and I'm glad we will be parting ways.

Mr. Doom-Baddy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 3, 2011

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

Just get re-rated before your ship date. You have pretty much no chance of re-rating (to Nuke) at Boot Camp.

Also, during boot camp, conventional ET really meant FC. For 19 out of 20 people in my division.

Edit: I have less than 30 days left til A School Comp. I'm willing to say it absolutely sucked and I'm glad we will be parting ways.

Yeah, I was going to ensure I got re-rated before shipping, but I entered the DEP(DEN) last week with a nuke rating. Signed on Sep 29th, shipping on May 15th. :smith:

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007
Ah, you'll be getting here after I'm done with Power. I'll likely be squatting here for a few months, though.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Harmburger posted:

Yeah, I was going to ensure I got re-rated before shipping, but I entered the DEP(DEN) last week with a nuke rating. Signed on Sep 29th, shipping on May 15th. :smith:

I got re-rated to nuke at the beginning of Feb and I'm just now shipping to boot on Wednesday. Here's to a new life.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
It's really not like...THAT bad. Yeah, 14 hours of school sucks and the general BS you put up with being at a training command is a bit much. But that's just A-School and Power School. Prototype, they really care about you doing your job and not being a shitbag. Not so much micromanaging. I'm on week 7 of Power School and it's tough, but I'm not putting in more than about 10-12 hours a week and have a 3.6ish GPA. It's really about priorities.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

Wait. You thought "A" School sucked? :laffo:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Power school is basically the same thing as A school except different classes.

LoveThyNeighbor
Aug 30, 2009
KetTarma what were your interviews for instructor like?/Any idea what's typical?

I've not been accepted into the program yet because of paperwork, but they flew me out to Charlestown so I'm (cautiously) optimistic that I'll get at least the phone interview. Just looking at all the math and physics I have to relearn for the tests is pretty daunting, any advice?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Remembered one of my first days on the sub. I was asked to relamp 3 compartments. I went through and checked for burned out lights and replaced only those. Why didn't Power school teach me relamping means replacing all lights.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Power school is basically the same thing as A school except different classes.

Taught by "officers" who may or may not have their ribbon on the correct side of their uniform. :haw:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

DILDOs, they are called DILDOs. Don't let no one tell you otherwise.

My favorite was the chief who never knew power point had a text version, and only gave us lectures via pictures. He would talk mainly about gambling and how he was molested as a child. Chief Bell.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Speaking of Chiefs: it made me feel old when I saw that one of my buddies from Power School just made Senior Chief. We were in 9604. :smith:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

Speaking of Chiefs: it made me feel old when I saw that one of my buddies from Power School just made Senior Chief. We were in 9604. :smith:

I was in 03somethin and some of my friends from school are chiefs :x

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

LoveThyNeighbor posted:

KetTarma what were your interviews for instructor like?/Any idea what's typical?

I've not been accepted into the program yet because of paperwork, but they flew me out to Charlestown so I'm (cautiously) optimistic that I'll get at least the phone interview. Just looking at all the math and physics I have to relearn for the tests is pretty daunting, any advice?

Are you applying to be a nuke school instructor "officer"?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

moker posted:

I was in 03somethin and some of my friends from school are chiefs :x

Yeah, I was in 0203 and most of the ETs that stayed in with me are now chiefs. My sea-dad was an ET2 at the same time I was and is now an ETCS.

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

Wait. You thought "A" School sucked? :laffo:

It does suck, but its primarily because I'm sick of my diva classmates. We are in one of the higher GPA classes to come around and they are all cocky as gently caress. It gets old dealing with them all the time. When we get new class organization it'll be a fresh change. I'm also tired of the content we've been learning and ready to get on with Comp.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

It does suck, but its primarily because I'm sick of my diva classmates. We are in one of the higher GPA classes to come around and they are all cocky as gently caress. It gets old dealing with them all the time. When we get new class organization it'll be a fresh change. I'm also tired of the content we've been learning and ready to get on with Comp.

Hate to break it to you, but it's pretty much going to be the same throughout the pipeline whether it's grades on a test or number of checkouts you got that day.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

Your GPA doesnt matter at all. Zero. Your class standing is the only thing thatll ever possibly come back to haunt you and even then only if you are trying to teach at a-school or power school (and those only play a small part)

Also, welcome to the Navy. Everything is a competition. Grades, checkouts, evals, good deals, etc.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I don't even remember my GPA or class standing; all I know is I passed.

Also also, welcome to the Navy: where 35-5s turn into spruces, ORSE workups, and shiftwork. Sometimes all at the same time. :toot:

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007

KetTarma posted:

Your GPA doesnt matter at all. Zero. Your class standing is the only thing thatll ever possibly come back to haunt you and even then only if you are trying to teach at a-school or power school (and those only play a small part)

Also, welcome to the Navy. Everything is a competition. Grades, checkouts, evals, good deals, etc.

Yeah, I already got the gist of all that. I'm just specifically sick of these specific fucktards. I know it has a hand in preparing you for all the fucktards the Navy has to offer you and since you can't choose the people who are in your command, you have to deal with it... but these fucktards...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

When you get to the fleet, any punishment you received will be a badge of honor.

The battery of a submarine is a big deal. For E-Div, there is a guy in charge of it, who prepares all the paper work and does all the maintenance required. Not doing that can get you masted. A guy on my sub didn't do it for like 5 months cause he hated it. Finally someone found out about it and instead of masting him they just removed his duties as battery guy. He was so god drat happy.

Expect those fucktards to be happy too.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

Yeah, I already got the gist of all that. I'm just specifically sick of these specific fucktards. I know it has a hand in preparing you for all the fucktards the Navy has to offer you and since you can't choose the people who are in your command, you have to deal with it... but these fucktards...

Its not that big a deal, don't dwell on it, deal with it etc, at least you are done and have a small break, to be honest, are you one of those pricks who manages to get everyone to hate him? I mean gently caress, nukes are friendly nerds, if a bit dumb on things.

LoveThyNeighbor
Aug 30, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Are you applying to be a nuke school instructor "officer"?

Yes, Direct appointment through ODS as a Nuke school instructor officer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LoveThyNeighbor posted:

Yes, Direct appointment through ODS as a Nuke school instructor officer

So what makes you want to be a DILDO?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Henry Meowlins posted:

So what makes you want to be a DILDO?

Why wouldn't you? Never on duty, never at sea, never have any actual responsibility, officer pay. I'd do it in a heartbeat

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

moker posted:

Why wouldn't you? Never on duty, never at sea, never have any actual responsibility, officer pay. I'd do it in a heartbeat

Counterpoint - surrounded by nukes and baby nukes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

My favorite dildo was a math instructor who we broke after the first week. He would just give up teaching, tell us about how he would drink, stare at the wall, and play wow. Also how he tried hitting on a FEMALE math DILDO and struck out. We made so much fun of him.

No respect.

Foursaken
Nov 30, 2010

Intrepid Spirit
Frankly, I have no issue with Direct Input Officers. They fulfill a role the navy doesn't want to waste on an actual line officer. Frankly, after being a pipeline instructor myself, I have even more respect for these guys. Where the normal rank and file instructor only deals with retarded high school grads / college flunkies for 3 years, DIOs can be around quite a bit longer if they want. I personally think it'd be easier teaching etiquette to inner city high school kids than dealing with over confident entitled nuke students.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
I hate physics. Just so you know. I understand the practical stuff, but I've been told the majority of it is brain dump. I guess I'll have to wait for grades at like....1700.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Foursaken posted:

Frankly, I have no issue with Direct Input Officers. They fulfill a role the navy doesn't want to waste on an actual line officer.

I do. Huge issue, actually.

Put an enlisted nuke in there to teach the enlisted classes. I have to re-teach it in prototype anyway so it's not like it's somehow above us. Enlisted nukes would be cheaper since we only get E-6 or E-7 pay. Also, with more actual shore duty billets available, more of us would reenlist which would ultimately drive down reenlistment bonuses.

Oh, there's also the added bonus that I can teach reactor physics from the perspective of someone that's spent thousands of hours doing it instead of just learning about it in a classroom.

The very best shore duty I could ever hope for is the regular day to day life of a DILDO. Instead Im standing 6 and 6s on 3 section duty at shore duty. gently caress.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Do DILDOs even need degrees related to math/science or is it like the rest of the officers in that they're all history majors? Because I could see the logic behind them using officers with related degrees to teach nuke courses...not that I'm saying they're better at it, but I understand

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess I had a different experience with the DILDOs than most people did. The best instructors I had in the Navy were my HTFF and Physics instructors that both were DILDOs had backgrounds that were related to what they were teaching and education.

On the other side of that my enlisted instructors typically decided to spend 75% of the class bullshitting instead of actually teaching and the other 25% of the time filling in the blanks in our notes.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

moker posted:

Do DILDOs even need degrees related to math/science or is it like the rest of the officers in that they're all history majors? Because I could see the logic behind them using officers with related degrees to teach nuke courses...not that I'm saying they're better at it, but I understand

It's somewhat true, but not completely. For the instructor designator, they're really looking for someone with a technical degree. I know one DIO that is currently teaching Math with a Physics degree, so that's not a reach at all. The other one I know of is teaching HTFF with a Computer Science degree. I think they teach a different subject from their first one after a few years as well, so it's not like they're all classical literature or dance majors, but they might very well be teaching something outside their body of knowledge.

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007

Manawski posted:

It's somewhat true, but not completely. For the instructor designator, they're really looking for someone with a technical degree. I know one DIO that is currently teaching Math with a Physics degree, so that's not a reach at all. The other one I know of is teaching HTFF with a Computer Science degree. I think they teach a different subject from their first one after a few years as well, so it's not like they're all classical literature or dance majors, but they might very well be teaching something outside their body of knowledge.

The majority that I've met here are all Chemistry, Mathematics, or Physics related. On the "Day of Caring" with our voluntary work in downtown Charleston, it was mostly DILDOs leading the volunteer work. Boy, did none of them know what was going on... Nor could they build a fence.

Ryand-Smith posted:

Its not that big a deal, don't dwell on it, deal with it etc, at least you are done and have a small break, to be honest, are you one of those pricks who manages to get everyone to hate him? I mean gently caress, nukes are friendly nerds, if a bit dumb on things.

I'm pretty well liked, actually. And I'm not dwelling on it too much, just kinda bitching among those who've already been through this stuff.

Expect those fucktards to be happy too.
I expect they will. One of my instructors told us about one guy that was so bad about damaging equipment that he ended up being sent to work in the "video rental" department of the carrier, likely unable to re-enlist after his contract was up.

Mr. Doom-Baddy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 11, 2011

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

The guy was sent to work for MWR in the library it sounds like. Honestly, he probably got a 3.0 "P" eval and reenlisted because the Navy gave him a good deal. Giving someone less than a P tends draw unwanted attention. "Chief, why couldn't you fix this guy?" type questions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

I expect they will. One of my instructors told us about one guy that was so bad about damaging equipment that he ended up being sent to work in the "video rental" department of the carrier, likely unable to re-enlist after his contract was up.

My favorite chief in A school was Chief Burrel. I think that was his name. He synched some poo poo 180 degrees out of phase, blew up some poo poo, made chief some how, and was never allowed on a boat. So he would go around on shore commands and call people building mate. Best loving chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I remember him. Pretty cool guy, never knew he was blacklisted. Hell, being stuck at a-school is possibly the best deal in the nuclear field.

• Locked thread