Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Experto Crede posted:

oriental

Not trying to derail, but is that a common term wherever you live? I grew up in the late 80's in the Northeast and even then we were taught that calling someone/something "Oriental" wasn't very appropriate. It was like one of the "grouchy grammy" words that weren't outwardly hateful or anything (ie colored) but still was outdated enough to be considered mildly offensive, because it was most likely pejorative at one point.

e: for reference we politely called them "those little yellow dog-eaters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

Thanks.

here is the updated attempt:
Mainland PRC Mandarin Simplified Chinese text 大陆简体
Hong Kong/Macau Cantonese Traditional Chinese text 港澳正體

Taiwan ROC Mandarin Traditional Chinese text 台灣正體
Singapore Mandarin Simplified Chinese Text 马新简体

Have I got the characters right? I tried to copy them from Chinese Wikipedia...
They're not wrong, and I can't speak to Hong Kong, but for Taiwan I'd change the Chinese to 台灣繁體. 正體 isn't really a commonly used term for them here.

quote:

Have you ever tired the Wubi, Boshiamy type inputters? If so, does use of one help with use of others? It seems like the part builders are more popular in Taiwan ROC, and the PinYin is more popular in Mainland PRC. Is this correct?
Boshiamy is weird, even to Taiwanese people, but I've never personally tried it or any other input method. Hanyu Pinyin is basically the only one that has any value to a non-native speaker: if you can type English, you can type Hanyu Pinyin at only a marginally slower rate. If you want to use something like Cangjie (AFAIK the most popular part-building IME, and possibly second most popular overall behind Zhuyin), you essentially have to learn to type all over again, so unless you're already starting from 0 it's kind of a a waste of time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rubies posted:

Not trying to derail, but is that a common term wherever you live? I grew up in the late 80's in the Northeast and even then we were taught that calling someone/something "Oriental" wasn't very appropriate.
In the UK, "Asian" means from sub-continental Asia (i.e. India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc.) and "Oriental" is still used to mean East Asian.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

TetsuoTW posted:

In the UK, "Asian" means from sub-continental Asia (i.e. India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc.) and "Oriental" is still used to mean East Asian.

Ah, that's probably why. Over here we only use "Asian" to describe everyone east of Bangladesh. "Indian" covers everyone in Central Asia, and "Middle Eastern" is anyone tan and east of the Black Sea (minus Russians). I'll chalk it up to the old different strokes for different folks adage.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

TetsuoTW posted:

They're not wrong, and I can't speak to Hong Kong, but for Taiwan I'd change the Chinese to 台灣繁體. 正體 isn't really a commonly used term for them here.

Boshiamy is weird, even to Taiwanese people, but I've never personally tried it or any other input method. Hanyu Pinyin is basically the only one that has any value to a non-native speaker: if you can type English, you can type Hanyu Pinyin at only a marginally slower rate. If you want to use something like Cangjie (AFAIK the most popular part-building IME, and possibly second most popular overall behind Zhuyin), you essentially have to learn to type all over again, so unless you're already starting from 0 it's kind of a a waste of time.

here is the updated attempt:
Mainland PRC Mandarin Simplified Chinese text 大陆简体
Hong Kong/Macau Cantonese Traditional Chinese text 港澳正體

Taiwan ROC Mandarin Traditional Chinese text 台灣繁體
Singapore Mandarin Simplified Chinese Text 马新简体

First thanks overall for the help. It is mostly curiosity, and the fact that Dayi and Wubi are built into Macs, and the "wouldn't it be cool to write using that method" factor that made me think about Dayi Wubi etc. (And the fact that in competitions Boshimamy people can type 200 characters a minute which is pretty cool.)

Thanks again.

One more odd question: From talking to PRC people they tell me that as kids they learned PinYin before any Hanzi. And the Taiwan people told me they learned bopomofo similarly as the pre Hanzi way to write as kids. Interesting the PRC people can still use PinYin, but the ROC people could not even remember how to write the bopomofo at all. Reactions to that in your experience? I only talk to the people I meet who have left, so I have no idea if their experiences are usual, or exceptional.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

First thanks overall for the help. It is mostly curiosity, and the fact that Dayi and Wubi are built into Macs, and the "wouldn't it be cool to write using that method" factor that made me think about Dayi Wubi etc. (And the fact that in competitions Boshimamy people can type 200 characters a minute which is pretty cool.)
No problem. I hear you on the "wouldn't it be cool" factor - that's nearly got me trying to learn Cangjie a few times, but like the few times I've tried to learn Dvorak, it just quickly became obviously unnecessary since I can already touchtype QWERTY style.

quote:

One more odd question: From talking to PRC people they tell me that as kids they learned PinYin before any Hanzi. And the Taiwan people told me they learned bopomofo similarly as the pre Hanzi way to write as kids. Interesting the PRC people can still use PinYin, but the ROC people could not even remember how to write the bopomofo at all. Reactions to that in your experience? I only talk to the people I meet who have left, so I have no idea if their experiences are usual, or exceptional.
I think it's a system-level difference. Pinyin is intended to be part of a kind of digraphic system, existing side-by-side with characters (originally it was supposed to replace them entirely, but that clearly didn't work). Zhuyin/Bopomofo is purely used as a childhood language-learning tool. It gets a little use alongside weird characters people don't know how to pronounce, and it is one of the available and relatively common IMEs, but it just doesn't play as much of a part in everyday life as Pinyin does in the mainland. Plus Taiwan is a clusterfuck when it comes to transcription. Just one headache after another because no-one knows what they're doing and no-one with the power's got the balls to do anything about it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Rubies posted:

Not trying to derail, but is that a common term wherever you live? I grew up in the late 80's in the Northeast and even then we were taught that calling someone/something "Oriental" wasn't very appropriate. It was like one of the "grouchy grammy" words that weren't outwardly hateful or anything (ie colored) but still was outdated enough to be considered mildly offensive, because it was most likely pejorative at one point.

As the UK person noted, America feels differently about that word (both in what it refers to, and what it feels like to hear it) than the rest of the world does. It is of note that the most common academic uses of the word are for "Oriental Studies" department currently widely found in the UK (and not at all in the US), and more importantly in the US to use to refer to a cluster of ideas coming from the discussion brought up first by Edward Said's book "Orientalism" which is in fact about the West's view of the Arab world.

In much of the Eastern US among people of a certain age, the term 'Oriental rug' refers to 'Persian rugs'. Many businesses use the term regularly without a thought that the word is offensive. We also call plates China with no thought that calling dinner plates and the world's most populous country with the same name might be offensive.

In the causal American mind, we do not tend to see the same referent when using the word "Oriental" that someone from the UK would. As far as labels for people go, many Americans use or understand "Oriental" as referrring to "Asian", where that word means "looks Chinese", even if the term is no longer in common use to refer to people.

Theory: It is also worth pointing out that we in the US had pointed anti immigration campaigns against 'Orientals', ran concentration camps to imprison 'Orientals', and used weapons of mass destruction against 'Oriental' civilians, so we might have a need in the US to distance ourselves from those Americans who used the term "Oriental" and did those things to 'Orientals'.

We also denied citizenship to a wide range of Pacific Islanders simply because they were "Orientals" even when they were native born citizens of land that the US considered, and still considers part of the US. Other native born citizens of those same lands were matter of factly granted US citizenship.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Excel help here.

I have a column of names - what kind of function is needed to find the names that matches what I'm looking for and gives me a number?

For example, the column I have has the names John, John, John, Jenny, Jack, & Jill. I want a function that will count all cells that have 'John' in it and give me total amount.

Thanks

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
Assuming all your names are in column A, you could use:
code:
=COUNTIF(A:A,"John")

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TetsuoTW posted:

I'd disagree in that 'Asian' is still used to describe East Asian and you only hear the word 'oriental' when refering to carpets or arts/crafts.

As a reference, here is a typical list of ethnicities used in the UK (happens to be from Asda supermarkets, but i have seem many similar variations):

White British
White Irish
White Polish
White other Eastern European
Any other white background
Caribbean
African
Any other black background
Indian
Pakistani
Bangladeshi
Chinese
Any other Asian background
White & Black Caribbean
White & Black African
White & Asian
Any other mixed background
Other

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I'm in England and I use 'east asian' for Chinese etc and 'west asian' for Pakistani etc.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
In any case, does anyone know about that video? I kind of want to see it too now.

Edit: nevermind, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6aNzEr7UqY

User-Friendly fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 7, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

marshmallard posted:

I'm in England and I use 'east asian' for Chinese etc and 'west asian' for Pakistani etc.

In the US, East Asian is commonly used (Japan, Korea, China, and rarely Vietnam), Southeast Asian (Much more fluidly constituted) is commonly used, but I don't think I have ever heard West Asian used in the US.

I cannot think what, other than country names, people generally use to decribe the countries of the former greater Indian subcontinent (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

kapalama posted:

I cannot think what, other than country names, people generally use to decribe the countries of the former greater Indian subcontinent (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh).

I've heard "brown Asian" a LOT.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

spog posted:

I'd disagree in that 'Asian' is still used to describe East Asian and you only hear the word 'oriental' when refering to carpets or arts/crafts.
Welp, guess this is a good example of why you shouldn't listen to a colonial.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

tarepanda posted:

I've heard "brown Asian" a LOT.

This comes across to my American ears as far more Hatefully racist than 'Oriental' which sounds like 'Grandma racism'.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, Israel is part of Asia according to the UN.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

kapalama posted:

This comes across to my American ears as far more Hatefully racist than 'Oriental' which sounds like 'Grandma racism'.

To be fair, I hear it most often when I'm in mixed Chinese/Indian company.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

Apropos of absolutely nothing, Israel is part of Asia according to the UN.
That's because most of the Middle East, except the North African part, is in Asia.

e: VVVV I'd feel much better if "child soldiers" was the defining line rather than
pre:
IF (SKIN=BLACK) 
   COUNTRY=AFRICAN
Also we can't have Israel being lumped in with those black people, and I'm not sure how wholeheartedly they'd embrace being part of Europe, all things considered.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 7, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

That's because most of the Middle East, except the North African part, is in Asia.

Yes on a map, but not in a mind. Eqypt is similarly situated it seems in the American mind. Part of Africa but not part of child soldier Africa.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

North Africa is by no means part of the Middle East. Culturally, sure, but not geographically. Usually they are lumped together as "the Middle East and North Africa".

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Rubies posted:

The way I've heard it, "Oriental" should be used only to describe things, not people, e.g. an oriental rug.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

kapalama posted:

Yes on a map, but not in a mind. Eqypt is similarly situated it seems in the American mind. Part of Africa but not part of child soldier Africa.

Maybe not your mind. I absolutely don't consider Israel or any part of the Middle East to be part of Africa - they're definitely Asia.

Also Eqypt? Is that some weird alternate spelling I don't know of or just a mistake?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Where did the term 'ticket' for an IT help desk thing come from? There's never an actual paper ticket, so who decided this would be the word?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kapalama posted:

We also call plates China with no thought that calling dinner plates and the world's most populous country with the same name might be offensive.

They're called that because the Chinese invented porcelain and Europeans never saw it until they began trading with China.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Florida Betty posted:

North Africa is by no means part of the Middle East. Culturally, sure, but not geographically. Usually they are lumped together as "the Middle East and North Africa".
Egypt is part of the Middle East, and Libya's quite frequently lumped in there too.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

TetsuoTW posted:

Egypt is part of the Middle East, and Libya's quite frequently lumped in there too.

Egypt is geographically part of the Middle East as well as North Africa, assuming Africa ends at the Suez Canal; Libya has no business being included, though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TetsuoTW posted:

In the last few years, Gadaffi made a push for Libya to be considered more as part of Africa, rather than the Middle East.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2045328_2045333_2053164,00.html

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm trying to open a spreadsheet that was originally a Numbers spreadsheet saved as an xls file. I don't have Excel on this PC, and Google Docs refuses to open the file.

Solutions?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

marshmallard posted:

]Also Eqypt? Is that some weird alternate spelling I don't know of or just a mistake?

drat dyslexia, is a drat bitch. It certainly looks right.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

the posted:

I'm trying to open a spreadsheet that was originally a Numbers spreadsheet saved as an xls file. I don't have Excel on this PC, and Google Docs refuses to open the file.

Solutions?

Numbers can seriously violate whatever standards there are to .xls files. In order for Excel be able to open some particular tricky ones, I have to export it from Numbers as an .xls, then open the Exported .XLS file with Numbers and then re -export it again to have Excel be able to open it. And this is on my own Mac.

Numbers is not a very good program (slow as hell, and hangs constantly with large documents), and the fact that it cannot properly export is just another of its failings. It does allow a variety of formatting options that Excel can display but not create itself though, such Carriage returns within cells without requiring a split cell.

I make the documents in Numbers, and export them until Excel can open them so I can actually interact with them without having my entire system.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 7, 2011

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Thanks, this helped.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Can someone tell me how to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of my clothes / all of my earthly belongings? My dickbag roommates chainsmoke all day and I'm tired of smelling like an ashtray. The smell just sticks to everything and I don't have time to wash all of my clothes every single day. What can I do besides febreeze the hell out of myself?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I would convince them to smoke outside, move or have them move.

Smoke gets into everything and it's pretty much impossible to cover up the smell sans washing.

Sealing off your door with weather stripping and blocking the vents in your room will help.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I would convince them to smoke outside, move or have them move.

Smoke gets into everything and it's pretty much impossible to cover up the smell sans washing.

Sealing off your door with weather stripping and blocking the vents in your room will help.

Tried the first, the other two aren't an option because it is university housing and I can either deal with it or lose my scholarship because we aren't allowed to live off campus if we accept funding from the university.

I was hoping there was some kind of neutralizing agent or something that would work. Would something like charcoal absorb the smell perhaps?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Golbez posted:

Where did the term 'ticket' for an IT help desk thing come from? There's never an actual paper ticket, so who decided this would be the word?

Possibly stuff like taking a ticket to get in line at the deli. Though I'm sure lots of offices referred to small paper forms as tickets before things shifted to digital.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Tried the first, the other two aren't an option because it is university housing and I can either deal with it or lose my scholarship because we aren't allowed to live off campus if we accept funding from the university.

I was hoping there was some kind of neutralizing agent or something that would work. Would something like charcoal absorb the smell perhaps?

Well baking soda and vinegar are good at neutralizing odors but if there's continual exposure they won't help. Your best bet is sealing off your room then using baking soda in the carpets and vinegar to wipe down the surfaces.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

AbdominalSnowman posted:

If you can't get away from the smoke there is really nothing you can do about the smell. It even persists after you wash your clothes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Where do you go to university that hasn't banned smoking virtually everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Golbez posted:

Take a number...

In the old days you'd take a ticket and wait in line to have your stuff fixed in person. You handed your ticket over with your typewriter or other office equipment and come back when your equipment was fixed and ready to go. The usage carried over to the digital realm. :)