Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r3plica
Feb 29, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ugh dear lord, please folks, if some CSR suggests doing something like this don't.

First, even if you have to cancel your account you can keep your number by porting it to Google Voice (or a prepaid carrier) first, then porting back. But you have to port the number before canceling the account.

Second, it's been stated previously that Sprint won't allow folks who terminate their accounts due to materially adverse contract changes to sign up again for 60 days. I can't say if that's a general policy to prevent folks from getting new customer pricing on upgrades or not, but it would suck to have your account canceled, lose your number, and lose the ability to create a new account if that's the case, all due to a harebrained scheme.

I'm a CSR in retentions for the "new" Alltel and that is totally against our policies, so I'm sure it is against Sprints, false churn is a pretty huge deal to wireless companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

CaptainPsyko posted:

Care to clarify what those areas are by chance?

More specifically: I'm in the NYC Metro area. What sort of data speeds can I expect? Am I wasting my time contemplating switching to Sprint? I asked this a few pages ago and got no answer. :/

I don't know specifics, I just know there are about 10 or so major markets that have experienced some capacity problems - but, like I said, network and backhaul upgrades are part of NV. I don't know what kind of data speed you'll get there, like all cell phone networks, your results may vary. To me, Sprint is attractive right now because a) you have guaranteed unlimited data at a lower price point that the tiered data plans on AT&T and Verizon, b) even if you're having issues with data speeds, improvements should be on the way, and c) it has a phone lineup that rivals or exceeds all of the other major carriers.

But in the end, the best carrier for you is dependent on your needs and user experience.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Starting to look more and more rumor-wise like no Nexus Prime for Sprint this year.

If I go ahead and pre-order a iPhone 4S tomorrow can I canceled it if the rumors are wrong and Nexus Prime does come?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Telex posted:

And that's just too loving much to pay for a phone when I can pay a $100 ETF and jump ship instead.

Pretty much. When I signed up with Sprint, I got a Nexus S 4G. Its on-contract price was so low ($39) relative to its full price that, even if I terminate my contract despite only being ~45 days in, I'm only out maybe $20-40 because the ETF is $200 and the phone is worth about $220 (minus eBay seller fees). That makes starting a new contract for $199 a far better deal than trading a $220 phone for a $649 one.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 7, 2011

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

nate fisher posted:

If I go ahead and pre-order a iPhone 4S tomorrow can I canceled it if the rumors are wrong and Nexus Prime does come?

I hope so. That's my plan right now.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

grahm posted:

I hope so. That's my plan right now.

Why not just wait til Tuesday to decide one way or the other?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Because if I don't get the phone on day one my life will be over!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Alman posted:

I don't know specifics, I just know there are about 10 or so major markets that have experienced some capacity problems - but, like I said, network and backhaul upgrades are part of NV. I don't know what kind of data speed you'll get there, like all cell phone networks, your results may vary. To me, Sprint is attractive right now because a) you have guaranteed unlimited data at a lower price point that the tiered data plans on AT&T and Verizon, b) even if you're having issues with data speeds, improvements should be on the way, and c) it has a phone lineup that rivals or exceeds all of the other major carriers.

But in the end, the best carrier for you is dependent on your needs and user experience.

a) is why I'm tempted, b) is comforting, if I could get some more hard information about how they are right now. Also, are the improvements we're talking about to 3G service? or just expansion/upgrades of the 4G network? I ask because... c) is irrelevant to me. I'm getting a new iPhone. The only real decision is who I pay a monthly bill to to use it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Sprint website is letting me pre-order the iPhone 4 8GB for $100 ($550 - $450 for a two-year plan). I am due for an upgrade. Anyway, this heartens me that I'll be able to get the 4S for $200 tomorrow.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Blackaxis posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I'm on EPRP and the apple eligibility checker can't deal with that account. Will there be issues pre-ordering tonight from sprint directly?

I have this exact same question. I'm looking to dump AT&T because a Sprint EPRP plan will be a little more than half of what I pay Ma Bell every month and I don't even live in an AT&T 3G area (Sprint is 3G here, though). My ETF is only $90 because I bought in May 2010, so it'd be kinda silly not to switch over.

Too bad about having to give up my grandfathered unlimited data with AT&T, but oh well.

edit: the iPhone 4 shows up to pre-order, so I'm guessing it'll be good to go tomorrow morning

ZippoGuy
Dec 18, 2005

Some say the world
will end in fire...
I'm just helping it along
College Slice
I'm hoping to get an iPhone 4S tonight (once the clock ticks over) using the EPRP link listed in the OP, but when I enter Chappy's info (Clinton.Chapman@sprint.com : 530), all I get is an error page. Is anyone else having that problem?

Tried it in Chrome and it worked. Whatever.

ZippoGuy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 7, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Hey fellow Sprint users -

In light of the imminent iPhone sale...PM me if you're looking to unload a Nexus S 4G. I'm interested.

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Schadenfreude is so nutritious
I have an android phone and I'm using sprint's integrated google voice deal. how much functionality will I lose when I move to the iphone?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Why not just wait til Tuesday to decide one way or the other?

Impatience. By Tuesday I'm guessing it'll be a 2-3 week wait for the iPhone. I could wait, but I get this feeling that this mystical Nexus device won't be coming to Sprint, at least not in the near future. Then I'd have to wait 2-3 weeks for the iPhone :(. And honestly, ICS would have to make some major changes to Android for me to consider buying another Android phone (rockin' an Evo right now).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Starting to look more and more rumor-wise like no Nexus Prime for Sprint this year.

Yes and no. Last time I pre-ordered from Sprint they just made me buy a $50 gift card, which is non-refundable. I wasn't stuck buying a phone if I decided later I didn't want it, I was just stuck spending $50 at a Sprint store, and it must be spent in a store not with telesales.

Assuming you decide to pre-order the Prime later on, you'd have to get another $50 card but it's all money you'll spend on the phone anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone looking to preorder the iPhone with sprint, wait till tomorrow for sprint official preorder policy. Until then who the gently caress knows.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone looking to preorder the iPhone with sprint, wait till tomorrow for sprint official preorder policy. Until then who the gently caress knows.

what do you mean? Retention basically laid it out for me today which was "get hosed, open a new line or you pay full price" so is this something that might not actually be true?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

what do you mean? Retention basically laid it out for me today which was "get hosed, open a new line or you pay full price" so is this something that might not actually be true?

Preorder policy is on preordering the device, nothing to do with pricing. The IPhone is $199 with full upgrade, and probably $600 without. If you aren't eligible, hopefully sprint is nice, but honestly at some point it becomes tough poo poo, people who upgraded 6 months ago are not going to get bumped just because of the iPhone. I mean, call and ask, but if you are not eligible because you are under contact at some point it isn't sprint s fault.

I swear the iPhone will lose sprint a lot of customers upset because God forbid you suddenly do not get special upgrade privileges. And for any complaints on sprint keeping lenient or it bring cheaper to switch, keep in mind the only reason it is cheaper to switch is because sprint held out on raising their etf to $350. The iPhone raised prices, sorry that now we have to pay accordingly.

Not trying to be too much of a Dick, but people need to relax here. Anyway, I will try and update the OP this weekend.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Monkey Fury posted:

I have this exact same question. I'm looking to dump AT&T because a Sprint EPRP plan will be a little more than half of what I pay Ma Bell every month and I don't even live in an AT&T 3G area (Sprint is 3G here, though). My ETF is only $90 because I bought in May 2010, so it'd be kinda silly not to switch over.

Too bad about having to give up my grandfathered unlimited data with AT&T, but oh well.
Someone will pay you money for your contracted AT&T unlimited data plan. I don't know how much they're going for on the Transfer of Liability trading sites. Sell you're plan and your existing iPhone and you'll have enough cash in your pocket to afford the 32gb Sprint 4S.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I swear the iPhone will lose sprint a lot of customers upset because God forbid you suddenly do not get special upgrade privileges. And for any complaints on sprint keeping lenient or it bring cheaper to switch, keep in mind the only reason it is cheaper to switch is because sprint held out on raising their etf to $350. The iPhone raised prices, sorry that now we have to pay accordingly.

I think your perspective is a little off here, at least mathematically.

Even if I had to pay a full price ETF (350, which I don't) to get out of my contract and open a new line of service with Verizon for $400 for the new iphone, I would still be saving $100.

The only reason it's cheaper to switch, is because Sprint has priced the on-contract price of the phone higher than it costs to quit and get service elsewhere by a longshot. That's a bummer that for whatever reason you see this as wanting special treatment, but the reality is that they signed a deal to get the best selling phone in the world, and aren't making an effort to retain customers who actually want the thing at the same time.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

People early into a contract and chomping at the bit for an iPhone 4/4S should wait for the iPhone 5 when they're further along in their contracts. It will probably be a 4G phone anyway.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Since 1 year upgrades no longer exist, I no longer have an upgrade for March 2012, but May 2013 instead (I signed up right when the Nexus S 4G released). However, a friend who works for Radio Shack told me that Sprint will drop 23-month upgrades for 2 year contracts and instead make it 21 month upgrades. This means that, if it IS 21, I should be able to upgrade around February 2013.

It kind of confuses me, but if I'm understanding all that right, I have to keep the contract until at least February 2013 with no phone upgrades in-between, correct?

I'm not looking to switch or buy a new phone or anything but I'm just trying to make sure I'm understanding it right.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Someone will pay you money for your contracted AT&T unlimited data plan. I don't know how much they're going for on the Transfer of Liability trading sites. Sell you're plan and your existing iPhone and you'll have enough cash in your pocket to afford the 32gb Sprint 4S.

I don't want to blow this thread up too much, but what's my best route to do this? The closest 3G area is about 25 minutes away from, so I don't know how much local interest there will be. Which trading site is the best/most reliable? Cellswapper and Celltradeusa look kinda lovely and underused.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Monkey Fury posted:

I don't want to blow this thread up too much, but what's my best route to do this? The closest 3G area is about 25 minutes away from, so I don't know how much local interest there will be. Which trading site is the best/most reliable? Cellswapper and Celltradeusa look kinda lovely and underused.
I'd send you a private message if I weren't responding from the Awful app. Try SA Mart and the Selling/Trading thread pinned to the top here in Gadgets. If you're lucky the same person will want your iPhone, too. I think the old original iPhone iTunes activation unlimited data loophole was closed, so your plan should be worth something. And with a $70 ETF your upgrade date can't be too far away.

I've never swapped contract liability with a stranger, so I can't recommend a site.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

I'd send you a private message if I weren't responding from the Awful app. Try SA Mart and the Selling/Trading thread pinned to the top here in Gadgets. If you're lucky the same person will want your iPhone, too. I think the old original iPhone iTunes activation unlimited data loophole was closed, so your plan should be worth something. And with a $70 ETF your upgrade date can't be too far away.

I've never swapped contract liability with a stranger, so I can't recommend a site.

It's $90 because I already I went on contract before they went to the jacked-up ETFs for iPhones. Otherwise, I'd have to shell out $165.

And welp I already went back to Sprint. Kinda hard to pass up paying $60 less a month with EPRP and getting better coverage and service, to boot. I'll probably just keep my 3GS around as an iPod Touch or give it to my mom or something.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://yfrog.com/hstrhhp

THANKS Apple/Sprint! I absolutely didn't need to know before 3 AM that I wouldn't be allowed to place an order tonight.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

CaptainPsyko posted:

http://yfrog.com/hstrhhp

THANKS Apple/Sprint! I absolutely didn't need to know before 3 AM that I wouldn't be allowed to place an order tonight.

I signed up through EPRP tonight without a hitch, just a little waiting.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Monkey Fury posted:

I signed up through EPRP tonight without a hitch, just a little waiting.

Trying to add an iPhone on a new line to an existing plan, which means I can't.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

CaptainPsyko posted:

Trying to add an iPhone on a new line to an existing plan, which means I can't.

It's still weird, because I signed up as a new customer, and that blurb says they won't take new customers.

I wonder if they only took so many and shut it down...

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Monkey Fury posted:

It's still weird, because I signed up as a new customer, and that blurb says they won't take new customers.

I wonder if they only took so many and shut it down...

Sprint.com seems to be accepting new customers and new lines.

Unfortunately, to add a new line, I need to log into the sprint.com account associated with the account. My parents, whose plan I am piggybacking onto, are terrified of computers and do not have a sprint.com account. Okay, I have all the account info, I'll make one...

http://imgur.com/hwe4Z

Oh.

:(

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

CaptainPsyko posted:

Sprint.com seems to be accepting new customers and new lines.

Unfortunately, to add a new line, I need to log into the sprint.com account associated with the account. My parents, whose plan I am piggybacking onto, are terrified of computers and do not have a sprint.com account. Okay, I have all the account info, I'll make one...

http://imgur.com/hwe4Z

Oh.

:(

This whole experience seems like a fitting way to introduce Sprint customers to the magical world of iPhone pre-orders

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
This biggest problem I'm having is deciding if I want the iPhone 4 + applecare+ or the iPhone 4S without applecare+ mostly because I don't want to spend more than 200$

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

hoonchops posted:

I have an android phone and I'm using sprint's integrated google voice deal. how much functionality will I lose when I move to the iphone?
The whole point of the integration is that it doesn't matter at all which phone you have. So people with dumbphones can take advantage of the same cool services that smartphone people have been getting with their GV app.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

decoy octopus posted:

This biggest problem I'm having is deciding if I want the iPhone 4 + applecare+ or the iPhone 4S without applecare+ mostly because I don't want to spend more than 200$

What is the difference between applecare & TEP? I guess do you need applecare if you have TEP?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

nate fisher posted:

What is the difference between applecare & TEP? I guess do you need applecare if you have TEP?

Sprint isn't offering TEP for iPhones.

Main difference is that Apple handles Applecare, instead of Sprint or whatever vendor handling TEP. Also, Applecare is a flat fee of 99 dollars at time of phone purchase, rather than a monthly add-on to your plan.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It turns out that I'm not as close to my contract expiring as I thought - my phone is eligible for an upgrade in 25 days, but because Sprint waited so long to apply my corporate discount, my contract isn't up until May 2012.

What's this I see regarding people paying off their ETFs and rolling into a new contract phase? Does this have something to so with Sprint killing the Premiere plan? How do I get in on this action - my Hero is killing me with its lag.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Why does the iPhone require the $10 premium data charge to my unlimited data plan? I thought that was for 4g smartphones?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

It turns out that I'm not as close to my contract expiring as I thought - my phone is eligible for an upgrade in 25 days, but because Sprint waited so long to apply my corporate discount, my contract isn't up until May 2012.

What's this I see regarding people paying off their ETFs and rolling into a new contract phase? Does this have something to so with Sprint killing the Premiere plan? How do I get in on this action - my Hero is killing me with its lag.

If your phone is eligible for an upgrade in 25 days why does it matter when your contract is up? Call in on the 18th, say your phone is broken, and they will bump up your upgrade. Then stop by a store and buy whatever phone you want. Any contract you sign voids old contracts.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Coredump posted:

Why does the iPhone require the $10 premium data charge to my unlimited data plan? I thought that was for 4g smartphones?

Now it's for (basically) all smartphones.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

If your phone is eligible for an upgrade in 25 days why does it matter when your contract is up? Call in on the 18th, say your phone is broken, and they will bump up your upgrade. Then stop by a store and buy whatever phone you want. Any contract you sign voids old contracts.
Because I only get $125 towards a new phone with an upgrade. New contracts get a considerably more significant discount.