Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Yes and no. The major issue with building penetration is frequency, and the lower the frequency the better. It's not because of any inherent difference between LTE and WiMAX. Verizon's LTE (and CDMA) operates at 800mhz so it penetrates fairly well. Sprint's WiMAX (thanks to Clearwire) operates at 2500mhz so penetration is considerably worse. When Sprint goes to LTE it'll be on 1900mhz (same as their CDMA), 1600mhz (leased from Lightsquare), and possibly some 800mhz as well. There are other factors as well, but this should certainly help.

I thought Sprint was going to use their old Nextel frequency of 800 Mhz. I would hope that this would solve a lot of their issues.

edit: misread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wonder if Sprint's commitment to LTE helped them get the iPhone. Since it looks like there will really be 1 hardware version of the iPhone 4S that is capable of running both GSM and CDMA, you have to wonder if Apple plans on only one hardware version for all of their future phones.

So basically...the iPhone 5 will be LTE enabled and since Sprint will be running LTE by mid 2012 that should line up with a June iPhone 5 launch on Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
If I order the iPhone 4S now, and decide I don't like iOS enough to keep it, will my contract extension roll back, or will I be locked in for 2 years from now regardless?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

If I order the iPhone 4S now, and decide I don't like iOS enough to keep it, will my contract extension roll back, or will I be locked in for 2 years from now regardless?

Have you used an iPoud touch? Might be the less annoying way to test out the OS.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

JHVH-1 posted:

Have you used an iPoud touch? Might be the less annoying way to test out the OS.

I have a 64 gig old-gen pre-retina iPod touch, and it'd be pretty cool to consolidate my devices. The only issue I have is that it feels a little....cramped. I don't know if that has to do with the screen size (even though I used to have a Pre), or the dpi, or what.

I guess failing that, I'm struggling to find a phone on Sprint right now that I feel comfortable having around for 2 years. Maybe the Photon...

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 7, 2011

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
quote =/= edit goddamn it all

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Your contract extension and upgrade eligibility should both be rolled back if you return it within the remorse period.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Sprint's stock has plummeted today. Yuck.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

sanchez posted:

That is more of a frequency problem. I am glad I bought sprint stock a couple of days ago.

Whoops.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I changed my address in my sprint account, then placed an order from apple as it picked up the change. Once I get the drat phone I'll change it back just in case it screws with my automatic payments.

Kinda annoying but at least the address change system was practically instant. I knew it went through as soon as I get an automated txt from aprint.

Now I just need to find out from apple that my order went through.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

If they add 800mhz to CDMA would that work on current phones or new phones only? I don't get good coverage inside my office building and better building penetration might fix that.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Mahoning posted:

Sprint's stock has plummeted today. Yuck.

Clearwire's stock dropped 30% today.

Look at it another way. Sprint pretty much announced that they were seriously upgrading their network but at the same time, it is going to cost them for years to come. If you were in an investor would you buy?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Uhg, I don't know what I should do. I've basically decided I'm getting an iPhone one way or another. The only thing keeping me from one for the last several years was I had AT&T/Cingular for years before Sprint and loving hated them.

I could either pay a $70 ETF and then go with Verizon or AT&T, either one would be about $65/m with my corporate discount. That's $15 more a month than sprint, but I would have more reliable service and faster internet, not to mention a subsidized phone. ~$360 more over a two year contract. So $630 for the phone.

I could buy a phone outright from Sprint and stick on SERO. That would be $650 for the phone. But I would get an upgrade in March.

I think I just talked myself into staying by typing this all out. I don't feel good about it either way. Wahhh, first world problems.

PS: Anyone else having trouble logging into Sprint's web sales site? It keeps saying my password is wrong, but it works everywhere else on their drat site.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You can use an iPhone on $50 SERO, why not just do that?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
If you want to know why stock is doing so poorly, here you go:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2011/10/07/sprint-street-frustrated-they-wont-come-clean-on-costs/

quote:

Shares of Sprint-Nextel (S) have deepened their losses this afternoon following the company’s statement this morning it may have to raise capital to fund a build-out of its 4G network.

The shares are currently down 49 cents, or over 16%, at $2.52.

Jennifer Fritzsche with Wells Fargo, who has an Outerform rating on the stock, is not dissatisfied with a different part of the presentation: the iPhone.

Sprint and Apple (AAPL) announced this week Sprint will start selling the iPhone for the first time. However, there were rumors of huge sums of money Sprint had to commit to paying Apple. All of Sprint’s financial remarks today left out the potential cost of the phone, notes Fritzsche.

In particular, sprint said it could improve operating profit margin from a recent 16%, perhaps boosting that by 4 to 6 percentage points in the next few years.

Despite this, the biggest question was the iPhone impact as these projections EXCLUDE the impact of the iPhone. While S did not officially change guidance for subs, it started the day today with bullish comments re: the likely impact the iPhone would have on sub trends. The part we struggle with here is the fact that S wants us to think about the subscriber benefit from the iPhone but ignore the financial impact.

Likewise, Walter Piecyck with BTIG Research considers Sprint management’s remarks about the iPhone adding to profits over time as “generic,” and the slides the company put up at the meeting about cash flow “didn’t even include the impact of the iPhone on cash burn.”

Piecyck writes that what follows was an “ugly” Q&A session today, and says investors can’t trust Sprint management until the company comes clean about costs:

After a slate of presentations that were far short on details, the Q&A session got ugly as the management team continued to avoid providing any detailed answers and in many cases offered responses so short and void of details that the CFO was actually laughed at. By the end, the CTO arrogantly admonished a questioner to “get your facts straight” rather than provide a detailed explanation of a plan that, when described as “ridiculous”, received applause from the audience. We believe Sprint is un-investable until they can provide better clarity on EBITDA, their 4G strategy and their capital structure. We also hope the board listens to the replay of the Q&A to hear what investors thought of the plan they approved.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Lovie Unsmith posted:

You can use an iPhone on $50 SERO, why not just do that?

That was option two in my post. And the more I think about it, I think I'm just going to do that. I've been extremely annoyed by how slow 3G has been lately, but it's bound to get better. And I understand it's not even a problem everywhere (but it sure is in Portland). I generally like Sprint as a company more than the other two options, so there's that too. It's not like they're loving me over by not letting me buyout my ETF, just not being overly generous. It's my problem I can't wait a couple months to get a shiny new phone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
With the upcoming 4S iphone release, some coworkers were suggesting I move from AT&T to Sprint. The thing is, I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T. Does Sprint offer anything similar?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

With the upcoming 4S iphone release, some coworkers were suggesting I move from AT&T to Sprint. The thing is, I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T. Does Sprint offer anything similar?
good question.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ZeroAX posted:

If they add 800mhz to CDMA would that work on current phones or new phones only? I don't get good coverage inside my office building and better building penetration might fix that.

Technically, yes. Sprint phones are dual band 800/1900mhz right now which is why they can roam on Verizon's network. So if Sprint were to add 800mhz spectrum to their current network and the phones received software updates, it's possible.

Mordiceius posted:

Sprint has confirmed they're keeping their unlimited data plans and iPhones will not be an exception to this.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

??? That's the only thing Sprint has is unlimited data plans.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mahoning posted:

??? That's the only thing Sprint has is unlimited data plans.

Okay, I wasn't sure. Because when I talked about possible moving to Verizon, people freaked out telling me not to abandon my data plan since I guess Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data plans. Didn't know how Sprint handled things.

This was the conversation friends and co-workers had on my facebook about it:

So is all the stuff they said true? I trust you guys more than I trust them with these sort of things. And if it is all true, looks like I'll be moving to Sprint.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Sprint doesn't throttle data after 200 megabits (or bytes, which is probably what was intended) in any context, that's loving industrial grade retardation.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, I wasn't sure. Because when I talked about possible moving to Verizon, people freaked out telling me not to abandon my data plan since I guess Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data plans. Didn't know how Sprint handled things.

So is all the stuff they said true? I trust you guys more than I trust them with these sort of things. And if it is all true, looks like I'll be moving to Sprint.

Sprint doesn't throttle data, they do roam on Verizon but its 1x roaming (basically 2G not 3G). But the best advice is pretty much whoever said this: just find out what does and doesn't work well where you're going to be. Sprint isn't really worth it if they get bad coverage where u are. All things being equal though, Sprint is the way to go because of the value.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sprint (S) Investor Meeting Was a Mess, Stock Currently 'Uninvestable' -BTIG

quote:

Piecyk said the presentations given by Sprint execs "were far short on details..." and answered few concerns, if any. The analyst noted things only got worse as the Q&A session started as "the management team continued to avoid providing any detailed answers and in many cases offered responses so short and void of details that the CFO was actually laughed at."

Piecyk believes Sprint is currently "un-investable until they can provide better clarity on EBITDA, their 4G strategy and their capital structure."
Ouch. And I was seriously considering putting a call option. I guess I'll see if it goes lower.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sprint (S) Investor Meeting Was a Mess, Stock Currently 'Uninvestable' -BTIG

Ouch. And I was seriously considering putting a call option. I guess I'll see if it goes lower.

My guess is the stock will go up once Sprint announces how many iPhones were sold during the first weekend.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
3Q results are coming in a couple weeks, too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there any company who has blown more billions on wasted infrastructure outlays than Sprint?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mahoning posted:

My guess is the stock will go up once Sprint announces how many iPhones were sold during the first weekend.

I'm not sure that's really going to help.

A few days ago, sprint announced that they were going to outlay $20 bil for iPhones.

Today they announced that backing WiMAX and then switching to LTE is going to cost them $10 bil.

So, in the span of a week, they told the world that during the next few years they are going to need $30 bil to execute their plans. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Depends on if they announce the churn rate at the same time.

I have a feeling that there's going to be significant amounts of people fleeing Sprint at the same time since they killed the 1-year Sprint Premier rewards. Whether the number of incoming is better than the number of outgoing by a significant amount remains to be seen.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alman posted:

3Q results are coming in a couple weeks, too.
So it's definitely gonna go lower. :shobon:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Hed posted:

Is there any company who has blown more billions on wasted infrastructure outlays than Sprint?
The Verizon FIOS build-out was criticized, and the new CEO stopped it dead as soon as he took charge.

I'm just a painfully average mindless consumer and have no knowledge of corporate finance, but it seems bad for stockholders/investors means good for consumers.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

A few days ago, sprint announced that they were going to outlay $20 bil for iPhones.

Today they announced that backing WiMAX and then switching to LTE is going to cost them $10 bil.

So, in the span of a week, they told the world that during the next few years they are going to need $30 bil to execute their plans. That's a tough pill to swallow.

To be clear, the Wall Street Journal said that, not Sprint. When asked about it today Dan Hesse had no comment.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Mordiceius posted:

I have no idea who's distributing so much FUD about Sprint, but I've heard the same arguments of why I should be on VZW instead from dozens of people. I really liked that one girl I know pays $120 a month, after discounts on Unlimited Texts, Data, and Minutes (almost all of which are to cell phones) and refused to hear me out that Sprint offered the same level of service for about half the price under EPRP.

"Well, they don't have any coverage."
"All my friends are on Verizon."
"It's a lot slower I heard"

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

bull3964 posted:

That's not entirely true, Sprint never said anything about how much was spent on the iPhones. It was a report in the WSJ.

Part of the presentation was talking about when debt maturities were coming up, and you also have to realize that the funding for these projects aren't 100% up-front. It's not like Sprint is dropping $30 billion in the next two years; it's dropping a few billion in the next 10-20 years.

torb main fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 7, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alman posted:

That's not entirely true, Sprint never said anything about how much was spent on the iPhones.
Which is exactly why their stock is tanking. They need to put the numbers out there if people are going to feel safe investing. Maybe they'll come clean at their quarterly results.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

With the upcoming 4S iphone release, some coworkers were suggesting I move from AT&T to Sprint.
Honestly I wouldn't unless Sprint service is significantly-cheaper-enough to be worth it, or if you have problems with AT&T.

Sprint's unlimited data isn't going anywhere soon, but at the same time if you have unlimited data on AT&T right now, you really want to hold onto it unless you know you're never going to make use of it (i.e., there's WiFi eveywhere you go).

For one, AT&T's HSPA+ service is faster than Sprint's EVDO rev A. I don't know exactly when EVDO rev B is happening, or if the iPhone 4S is rev B compatible. However, Sprint's EVDO service sucks, a lot, in some markets. Historically AT&T's service has also sucked in some markets too. If you're in a market with lovely AT&T service, it might be worth seeing if Sprint's is better. But if you're in a market with great AT&T service, you could come out on the wrong side by switching.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Sprint phones are dual band 800/1900mhz right now which is why they can roam on Verizon's network. So if Sprint were to add 800mhz spectrum to their current network and the phones received software updates, it's possible.
Sprint doesn't have any "Cellular" band spectrum, nor is ever going to get any in an appreciable amount unless they merge/buy Verizon, AT&T, or US Cellular. What they have is SMR band spectrum, also in 800 MHz, from purchasing Nextel and is where iDen is currently deployed.

The problem is that the SMR band is "different enough" that existing 800/1900 CDMA devices are not compatible with it. They specifically need "ESMR band" support. I always forget which devices have it, but I believe the Evo 3D and E4GT both have ESMR band support, but the Photon does not. No idea about the iPhone 4S.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been contemplating but...would it be worth it to switch from my Nexus S (which I got back when it released) to the Nexus Prime (IF it comes to Sprint)? Or should I just keep the Nexus S since I'd be paying full price for the Prime (and possibly ETF)?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You wouldn't pay both full price and an ETF, just whichever of "retail price" and "prorated ETF + subsidized price" is cheaper.

Anyways I wouldn't worry about the Nexus Prime until we actually know more about the device, and we actually get an idea of a release date on Sprint. While I wouldn't recommend anyone pick up a Nexus S with a subsidy today, already having one is a great place to be since it'll get an ICS upgrade before any other phone, and hardware wise it's still pretty good.

Edit: drat, it's "wouldn't" not "would".

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 7, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Mordiceius posted:

Your friends are all pretty much wrong, sorry.

Verizon has much better data performance, you'll get better speeds with Verizon's EV-Do and everyone knows that.

You only "roam for free" at 1x speeds (pathetic), you can't force roam on an iPhone unless its jailbroken AND someone writes an app for it (not sure if this is even possible on iOS) so it'll hold on to a weak Sprint signal for ages until it degrades past the point of unusability and THEN you'll be on Verizon or whatever, at 1x speed.

Oh, and you're limited to 300MB a month on Verizon's network. They WILL come after you if you're a habitual over-user.

Take-away: Stick with AT&T if you're happy with the coverage, move to Verizon if you're interested in LTE and/or aren't happy with your coverage. Sprint's maps make AT&T's coverage look stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Also, there is no EV-DO Rev B happening on Sprint or Verizon, so please don't go around perpetuating that rumor.