Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Sarna says it's three times as efficient as the equipment it's replacing. Which begs the question, what were they using before it?

If that's thrice as efficient as what they were using beforehand...

I'm guessing they used mentally-handicapped, economically-disadvantaged orphans without any tools or training whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You know what we need to harvest all this corn? A 50 ton nuclear powered walking robot with a combine that's about 1/30th as wide as the tractor we've been using. Where's my loving promotion?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

You know what we need to harvest all this corn? A 50 ton nuclear powered walking robot with a combine that's about 1/30th as wide as the tractor we've been using. Where's my loving promotion?

The Harvester's internal-combustion, so it's substantially WORSE than a nuclear-powered one would be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Harvester's internal-combustion, so it's substantially WORSE than a nuclear-powered one would be.

I feel like we may have hit peak space-80s. That or those drawings of the lance corporals from Clan Whitesnake.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grand Fromage posted:

I feel like we may have hit peak space-80s. That or those drawings of the lance corporals from Clan Whitesnake.

That explains why it feels like it costs me so much every time I see a picture of the harvester mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

The Harvester was designed for ClickyTech, it's new.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Harvester was designed for ClickyTech, it's new.

The space-80s. The space-80s never changes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's the thing, though. We all know deep down that giant walking robots are stupid as war machines, too. But in the Battletech universe, they're the best thing, way better than tanks and even aircraft (except for when they turn into aircraft).

Logic therefore dictates that if a giant walking robot-tank is better than a tank, a giant walking robot-farm implement is better than a farm implement.

Instead of boggling at how stupid the idea is, it's necessary to handwave reasons why it makes sense and is obviously great. Maybe something about farmworlds that have no roads and genetically modified foodcrops that can grow on rough terrain that only a bipedal robot mech could possibly navigate or... something, I dunno.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Leperflesh posted:

That's the thing, though. We all know deep down that giant walking robots are stupid as war machines, too. But in the Battletech universe, they're the best thing, way better than tanks and even aircraft (except for when they turn into aircraft).

Logic therefore dictates that if a giant walking robot-tank is better than a tank, a giant walking robot-farm implement is better than a farm implement.

Instead of boggling at how stupid the idea is, it's necessary to handwave reasons why it makes sense and is obviously great. Maybe something about farmworlds that have no roads and genetically modified foodcrops that can grow on rough terrain that only a bipedal robot mech could possibly navigate or... something, I dunno.

It's a lot dumber when you realize why BattleMechs exist in canon, though.

There's two purposes, broadly speaking, that 'mechs serve. One is that they are capable of carrying more guns/are more durable than tanks (which is only for gameplay reasons, but let's roll with it). The second is that they are ridiculously adaptable in terms of terrain and conditions in ways that tanks aren't. (This is at least mildly plausible, although it depends on the 'mech).

Both of those things are important because of the transportation issues that plague Battletech. Jumpships are pretty rare, and while there are plenty of Dropships they're all quite limited in lift capacity. Furthermore, the Successor States are...pretty incapable of supporting the amount of combat units you'd expect from interstellar empires. So, as an offensive force, BattleMechs make sense, because you need to fit as much combat capability in a small amount of tonnage as possible, which 'mechs do; and you need forces that can operate anywhere, anytime, which 'mechs also do. So, for offensive or rapid-reaction capabilities, 'mech regiments make sense. (I think someone touched on this a bunch of pages ago, it might have been DI. Anyway I agree with it.)

Given that, though, what purpose does an AgroMech serve? Sure, it can operate anywhere, but as a farmer you have the luxury of knowing exactly where you are going to be farming at all times. You own the land, you know what it's like, you can build or buy purpose-built farming equipment. You don't need something that can handle all different kinds of terrains and environments, you just need stuff suitable for one set of terrain and environment.

It's amazing how much dumb there is in BattleTech. There's so much good, and so much potential, but so much that's just amazingly stupid.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
AgroMechs exist only so plucky rebels can strap machine guns on them and get their poo poo kicked in by real 'mechs, thus engendering sympathy for the rebel cause and disgust for the villain.

Let's face it, that's how they've been used in every Battletech novel they've ever appeared in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Never underestimate the power of cultural insanity! The Norse living on the coast of Greenland didn't eat fish, even though they were living on one of the most productive fisheries on the planet, and they all died! The people on Easter Island cut down every single tree they could find, then their population collapsed because there was no more wood to build boats. Just this morning the Google News headline was about the US Coast Guard running bottled water to Pacific islands because rising seawater has contaminated their aquifers.

If owning a mech is the most culturally prestigious thing possible, I wouldn't be surprised to see all sorts of insane and impractical mechs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

See the Cattlemech makes actual sense. (Its designed for herding mechsized animals) The harvestermech makes none, no sense :psyduck: BATTLETECH.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

See the Cattlemech makes actual sense. (Its designed for herding mechsized animals) The harvestermech makes none, no sense :psyduck: BATTLETECH.

Maybe they're growing space-age Venus flytraps or Piranha plants or something that fights back. Then you'd need the ability to pummel it in the face before you cut it in half.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Agromechs are also possibly the worst mechs to fight with as well. Really, I always saw agro mechs as "Well we have a intergalactic society that thinks mechs are the greatest, so lets just roll with it." The Harvester Ant looks more like a actual combine harvester, however, as you can see below it really looks like alot of effort for something that could be done with tracks or wheels!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Agromechs may be dumb, but lumberjack mechs are awesome. Need to justify a 50-foot lumberjack with a built-in chainsaw arm? Just make up a planet with gigantic trees that need robots that big to cut them down!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Agromechs may be dumb, but lumberjack mechs are awesome.

Quite. John Deere Plusjack is a sight to behold.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hob_Gadling posted:

Quite. John Deere Plusjack is a sight to behold.

Whats sad is that looks so much better than the lumberjack agromech :v:

hell you can even do an "Old vs. New" with the lumberjack mechs.

OLD(ish TRO 3075):

NEW (Dark Age):

Once again Dark age accomplishes making mechs look terrible :patriot:

edit: To be fair, it does look more like LumberJack AgroArmor too bad it's a 20 tonner agromech.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 7, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A giant robot with a ten foot long chainsaw requires no justification.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Being a jackass and just flailing around wildly with the chainsaw does. What the gently caress kind of operation are those space lumberjacks running?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That first lumberjack mech looks dumb, the second one's an improvement.

If I'm in a giant lumberjack robot, I want it big and I want a chainsaw scaled to match.

edit: the first one looks like one of those bodybuilders with no neck. The other one's wearing cool shoulder pads. The choice is obvious.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 7, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Being a jackass and just flailing around wildly with the chainsaw does. What the gently caress kind of operation are those space lumberjacks running?

They're space trees, maybe that's the right way to cut them. How would you know? Have you ever cut down a space tree? :colbert:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Are they the laser-reflecting space trees from that other mission?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, they're carnivorous. Those fuckers would shred infantry with chainsaws.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Grand Fromage posted:

They're space trees, maybe that's the right way to cut them. How would you know? Have you ever cut down a space tree? :colbert:

Cutting down trees in a way that makes sense is LosTech.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Cutting down treesdoing anything in a way that makes sense is LosTech.

Fixed that for you.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Ardeem posted:

Fixed that for you.

Now I'm curious what sort of restroom facilities they use. Morbidly so.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Now I'm curious what sort of restroom facilities they use. Morbidly so.

The toilet mech!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

bunnyofdoom posted:

The toilet mech!

Clan toilet mechs you can pee twice as far without getting any on your pant leg.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Bad Moon posted:

Clan toilet mechs you can pee twice as far without getting any on your pant leg.

ironically, only the IS had toliets in their mechs, clanners weren't use to long engagements. One would suspect that they would just... stew in their cockpits. They should have done the Quarian design, holding tanks and pressurized poo poo!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Then they could have a final method of humiliating dezgra scum.

Finally caught up with this thread. As everyone's been saying, it's amazing. Thanks for making it!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dolash posted:

That first lumberjack mech looks dumb, the second one's an improvement.

I cut down trees, I shoot and jump, and in this helmet I can barely see. If fighting dezgra takes too long my suit becomes the lavatory.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I can just imagine the foreman and other lumberjacks screaming in terror as the new hire loses control of his mech and the chainsaw arm swings wildly out of control. That's quite the picture.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I can just imagine the foreman and other lumberjacks screaming in terror as the new hire loses control of his mech and the chainsaw arm swings wildly out of control. That's quite the picture.

I don't think either of those lumber mechs can reach their chainsaw arms down far enough to get anyone on foot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

A good poster posted:

I don't think either of those lumber mechs can reach their chainsaw arms down far enough to get anyone on foot.

You are ignoring the fact that mechs explicitly have the full human range of motion available to them* the guy is probably bad enough to overload the gyro and then it becomes a loving avalanche of chainsaw and falling mech.

*For the most part i'm sure they can't do fancy contortion stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

A good poster posted:

Then clearly you're not getting the perspective of the second image, and you've never seen the mini. That chainsaw will *probably* take out anyone on foot two stories underground.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

Then clearly you're not getting the perspective of the second image, and you've never seen the mini. That chainsaw will *probably* take out anyone on foot two stories underground.

pretty much it's a poorly drawn picture... but yeah, the actual mech has a way to big saw.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the non-sucky metal one. The plastic one is much worse:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
makes you wonder how many pilots in training have legged their mech with that saw half the size of the mech.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
All of them at least once. It is hillarious every time.

But not for the techs. Never for the techs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A good poster posted:

It's less the chainsaw maiming people than the giant trees being cut down at every swing, crushing everything in their path. :ohdear:

• Locked thread