Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tonight I think I'm going to pull the trigger on some black Enkei EDR9 17x8 wheels and a set of 235/45/17 Continental ExtremeContact DWS for the '11 as my winter setup.

At first I wasn't so sure about black on grey, but after looking at a few pictures online I'm thinking it will be a nice setup. It won't be as jarring different from stock as going to a silver wheel anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Almost there. Need to put the valve covers on and timing components and then drop it in. Long time coming... valves were really far out of spec so it sat the last week waiting for shims.

Just a regular old EJ20 with a new crank, bearings, rings, hone, gaskets, and freshly adjusted valves :)

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Pictures of the wheels and your car? Just out of curiosity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bojanglesworth posted:

Pictures of the wheels and your car? Just out of curiosity.

Well, not MY car since I haven't ordered them. However, I found these of a DGM hatch (not an '11 though so no widebody.)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2035837

Those are 18s as well and I'm only going with 17s, but the look shouldn't be too much different.

My first choice were actually EKM3 Gunmetal Painted as they are the closest match for the stock wheels, but Tirerack only has them in 17x7 and I'm lazy and want to order a mounted wheel and tire package. It would end up being MORE expensive for me to get those and go down a size in tire to 215/50/17 (next closest match for the '11) so I've been leaning away from them.

Another nice thing about the EDR9 is it has both 5x100 and 5x114.3 bolt pattern so if I decided to trade to an STI or Subaru changes the bolt pattern for the future WRX, I'll still be able to use them.

Visually, I still like the EKM3 better though just for how close it mimics the stock wheels. But I really want to go with a stock tire size for this setup and a 7 inch wheel is too narrow for a 235 tire.

My '02 is going to have winter duty when it's actually snowing because it will have ExtremeWinterContacts on it, so I wanted an all season for the '11 that will give me very light snow capability but mostly for use in the cold and in the wet for the majority of the time that it's not snowing without sacrificing a ton of dry handling.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

kimbo305 posted:

Speaking of GC STi swaps, does anyone remember that guy who had a silver RS, who was in med school? I can't remember if he had a standalone thread or posted it in here or somewhere.
You mean my h6 swap? I made a thread for it here

It's been driving well, just a couple minor issues. I haven't really had time to work on it since graduating in May. I have some work to do on it soon; a brake job, new clutch, new fuel filler neck, and I think I need a new carputer touch screen.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Question:
Trying to get the steering rack out of a 97 Impreza 2.2 Wagon.
Looking for any tips on getting it out without dropping the headers since those bolts seem to be frozen in the block. Am I SOL?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

So if I have to replace the head gasket on my 2000 Legacy, it's probably not worth it at this point and I should just call Time of Death on this car, right?

I'm not 100% sure if I have to yet or not. It's leaking oil very slowly, I know that for sure, but I can deal with it.

But it's overheating, coolant may be getting in to the oil, I'm just not 100% sure about that. It's not running rough at all or blowing any smoke, so I dunno. But I drained my oil today and there was waaay too much of it, like coolant had been added. I dunno though. I'm going to replace the thermostat and see if that fixes the overheating I've been experiencing the past week. I've already replaced the rad cap. Plus I'm not leaving any puddles behind, but my coolant levers are down and it's going somewhere!

Anybody know anything about those sealants you run through the cooling system? Do they work? Or do they just jam everything up.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 6, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Next step to just replace the air filter to make sure that's not still fouling the MAF?

Crazily, this seems to have worked.

Not sure why the secondary air system would throw a code from a wet air filter, but the internet said it was possible, and the internet seems to have been right (for now.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I completely flipped my mind at the last minute and went with the Gunmetal EKM3 in 17x7 since they look so close to the '11 stock wheels. I had 215/50/17 DWS's mounted on them. That will be my winter setup for the '11 while the '02 wears ExtremeWinterContacts for when it actually snows.

I still can't get over how quick Tire Rack is. I placed the order at 4:40pm and I got shipping notification by 6:20. That's mounted and balanced. They say estimated delivery is Monday.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 7, 2011

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

Would I be shooting myself a foot if I went for a 2011 STi rather than waiting for the 2012's to arrive on the lot? The dealers around here are pricing remaining 2011's way below invoice.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I still can't get over how quick Tire Rack is. I placed the order at 4:40pm and I got shipping notification by 6:20. That's mounted and balanced. They say estimated delivery is Monday

Try being in Philly. They would be on your doorstep on Friday. It's crazy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

tronik posted:

Would I be shooting myself a foot if I went for a 2011 STi rather than waiting for the 2012's to arrive on the lot? The dealers around here are pricing remaining 2011's way below invoice.

no changes to the sti for 2012 as far as I know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blaise posted:

Try being in Philly. They would be on your doorstep on Friday. It's crazy.

I'm in Pittsburgh and usually they are pretty drat near that quick to get stuff here because they ship out of Delaware. However, probably because of the wheels or mounting and balancing, they are shipping out out Indiana this time so it's a bit longer.

jamal posted:

no changes to the sti for 2012 as far as I know.

This is correct. There are some minor interior changes I believe and the navigation sound system has a few more features. Everything that matters is the same.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

tronik posted:

No real changes, knock yourself out and enjoy

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

tronik posted:

If you are wanting a base sedan you get new wheels and chrome headlight bezels that IMO are both not as nice as the 2011 stuff. 2012 sedans get a body color trunk trim piece instead of chrome, so that's good. New nav unit as mentioned. I don't know what the new wagon/limited sedan wheels look like.

I bought my 2011 above invoice but below msrp and thought it was a decent deal. If I were in your shoes right now and I would buy the 2011. If you want a nav unit, the 2012 is bigger/faster/wetter.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

tronik posted:

Just out of curiosity, what area do you live in?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
:wtf:

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Full_Gasket_and_Seal_Kits_for_02_07_Subaru_WRX_STI-1972-1.html

quote:

Whenever doing head or short block engine work, it is very important to replace old or worn engine gaskets. Nobody wants to have to pull an engine because they forgot to replace an old seal or gasket. You can save time and money with a genuine Subaru OEM full gasket and seal kit for your 02-07 WRX or STI. These kits come complete with every gasket or seal that you could possibly need when doing any level of engine work including, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, spark plug O-rings, intake manifold gaskets and more. The full kit contains over 160 individual gaskets and seals. We strongly suggest this kit for any engine swaps, rebuilds, or upgrades. Choose the gasket and seal kit appropriate for your USDM 02-07 WRX or STI below. For build date specific kits, build dates can be found on the information plate located in your drivers side door jamb.

Then later...

quote:

* IMPORTANT: valve cover gaskets are NOT included in this gasket kit.

Yeah, $300 and I ended up without VC gaskets. They're sending me a set for free now, talk about poor advertising.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah I don't bother buying the whole kit. I have a list of all the part numbers around somewhere.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I know that people in this thread have said previously that water pump failures are rare, but does that hold true for 200k+ mile cars as well?

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

Bojanglesworth posted:

Just out of curiosity, what area do you live in?

Denver area.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I know that people in this thread have said previously that water pump failures are rare, but does that hold true for 200k+ mile cars as well?

The water pump on my 96 legacy with 92k miles seized up and melted the timing belt. Fortunately a non-interference engine there, but now I always do the water pump with the timing belt. An extra $30 or whatever is worth not having that happen to me again.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

tronik posted:

Just think of it as buying a one year old used car with 100 miles on it, and pay the price accordingly.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I hate to be a bore, but I think I'm finally ready to buy a car.

I was originally going to go with an STI, but I don't really plan to race much if ever or do any kind of autocross stuff so I think a WRX is more reasonable.

Question: If I go to the dealer and pay in cash, do you think I can get a discount? Or would they actually rather I finance so they make more money in the long term?

The dealer in town has the WRX white hatchback I want in stock.. they are asking 29k as its a premium. I don't really want to pay 4k over the base model for heated seats and fog lamps.

If I show up with a 25000 cashiers check and say this is what I have sell it to me, what do you think the reaction would be?

I've been saving my pennies for like 10 years and I have the cash on hand to buy one outright, I just don't know if they will give a discount for that or not.

I figure my chances of asking them to get me a base model and trying to pull this trick (since they don't have it in stock) are slim to none.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 8, 2011

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

This is correct. There are some minor interior changes I believe and the navigation sound system has a few more features. Everything that matters is the same.
What are the new nav features?

Isn't bluetooth standard in 2011's? It didn't come on my 2010 but I vaguely recall seeing some literature that said it's standard on all 2011 WRXs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

syphon posted:

What are the new nav features?

Isn't bluetooth standard in 2011's? It didn't come on my 2010 but I vaguely recall seeing some literature that said it's standard on all 2011 WRXs.

It's standard in 2011.

The 2012 navigation has better connectivity to external audio sources. I can't remembered the specifics. I think it was something along the lines of the navigation now has all the external input capabilities that the non-navigation for 2011. The navigation was missing something in 2011.

Edit:
Exterior --New design 18" alloy wheels with high luster silver finish on STI 4-door -Headlight inner bezel color changed black to silver -Rear garnish changed from chrome to body color on 4-door WRX/STI

Interior--Center console panel color changed from silver to gray -New touch screen GPS with HD radio is optional on WRX prem, WRX ltd, and STI models. Features include: 6 speakers, 6.1" screen, single cd, aux input, bluetooth phone with audio streaming, iTunes tagging, roof mounted audio and sat antenna, SMS text messaging capability, USB port, voice activated, XM radio (subscription extra), and XM NavTraffic (subscription extra).

I think the 2011 navigation unit was missing a2dp while the non navigation has it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 8, 2011

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The 2012 STI wheels are pretty fugly, btw.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had one blow up at 130k on a 10 year old car.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Wendigee posted:

I hate to be a bore, but I think I'm finally ready to buy a car.

I was originally going to go with an STI, but I don't really plan to race much if ever or do any kind of autocross stuff so I think a WRX is more reasonable.

Question: If I go to the dealer and pay in cash, do you think I can get a discount? Or would they actually rather I finance so they make more money in the long term?

The dealer in town has the WRX white hatchback I want in stock.. they are asking 29k as its a premium. I don't really want to pay 4k over the base model for heated seats and fog lamps.

If I show up with a 25000 cashiers check and say this is what I have sell it to me, what do you think the reaction would be?

I've been saving my pennies for like 10 years and I have the cash on hand to buy one outright, I just don't know if they will give a discount for that or not.

I figure my chances of asking them to get me a base model and trying to pull this trick (since they don't have it in stock) are slim to none.

The dealership actually makes more money off of you if you finance with them because they can holdback a point or two on your APR, so I am going to go with no. WRX's are at a premium right now because its hard to find one with the exact features/color that you want.

You can probably negotiate a bit but there is zero possibility they will sell a WRX premium for less than MSRP of a base wrx.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

That it sort of what i figured. My friend was claiming that he used this ploy to get his at a good price, but all I could think of was that they would make MORE money off of a finance deal than a straight cash sale.

If you use the USAA.com car buying service you get about 500 bucks under MSRP and that is the best deal I've seen.

It still comes out as quite a bit cheaper than the V8 charger that I was also considering though.

I might just end up waiting till winter when they are trying to get rid of their 2011 WRX and see what kind of deal I can make.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Wendigee posted:

That it sort of what i figured. My friend was claiming that he used this ploy to get his at a good price, but all I could think of was that they would make MORE money off of a finance deal than a straight cash sale.

If you use the USAA.com car buying service you get about 500 bucks under MSRP and that is the best deal I've seen.

It still comes out as quite a bit cheaper than the V8 charger that I was also considering though.

I might just end up waiting till winter when they are trying to get rid of their 2011 WRX and see what kind of deal I can make.

Honestly I'd have a hard time not picking up the new 5.0 mustang GT. A friend of mine has an 06 wrx with an 18g in it did a little race with a stock mustang and got walked all over. Didn't matter what rev range, what speed, the gt just pulled away. Considering the GT is 29k and the STI is 33-35k... Less money, more power... If you can live without awd, might as well go with the mustang.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I finally pulled the trigger and came home 30 minutes ago in a 2006 WRX Wagon. The previous owner took amazing care of it and I'm in love so far. I only stalled it a few times after driving it around for an hour+ (new to manual) but it's been a blast!

We filled it up with premium from Chevron, but do you guys have any recommendations on what brand to use or to avoid?

Looking forward to taking a local Autocross class in December to learn how to drive better, but I'm not sure if I'll actually start racing it. Time to try to sell my car...

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Iron Lung posted:

I finally pulled the trigger and came home 30 minutes ago in a 2006 WRX Wagon. The previous owner took amazing care of it and I'm in love so far. I only stalled it a few times after driving it around for an hour+ (new to manual) but it's been a blast!

We filled it up with premium from Chevron, but do you guys have any recommendations on what brand to use or to avoid?

Looking forward to taking a local Autocross class in December to learn how to drive better, but I'm not sure if I'll actually start racing it. Time to try to sell my car...

I tried a few different brands when I first got my car and the first one that didn't make it run like absolute poo poo was Sunoco, now that is the only gas I will use. Just one mans story.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Iron Lung posted:

I don't have a choice as to what brand of fuel I can use as my car has a 94 octane tune and there is only one brand here that carries 94 - PetroCanada, formerly Sunoco before the brand was bought

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Tongsy posted:

I don't have a choice as to what brand of fuel I can use as my car has a 94 octane tune and there is only one brand here that carries 94 - PetroCanada, formerly Sunoco before the brand was bought

We had 94 at the Sunoco in my home town back in the day but it has been gone for forever. Sad story.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tongsy posted:

I was worried we were going to lose that stuff when the buyout happened. Thanks for saving it PetroCan!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Iron Lung posted:

Gasoline is a fungible commodity. It is very likely that your city is only served by 1 or 2 refineries and gas stations regardless of the badge will buy from a variety of them. The additive packs they advertise are like a cup for thousands of gallons. They are basically chemically identical within the same region (based on discussions with chemists who do this stuff for a living). (Now different regions will have different gas, and that can be significant. CA gas is crap.).

What does matter is tank quality and the age of the gasoline. An old, poorly maintained tank will have water or other contaminates. I'd much rather buy gas from a new no-name station than a 20 year old station with a chevon logo and a cheap owner.
Similarly, fuel age matters. This is a major problem with premium in some areas as it sells in lower volumes. A higher traffic station will have better gas.

Basically, buy from well maintained, busy stores. This tends to be branded stations, but not always.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Petro-Canada only sells 91 octane here. We rely on Husky/Mohawk for an ETBE-based 94 octane gas that obviously lowers fuel economy (~10% in my experience), so I had my car tuned targeting Shell 91.

TWiNKiE
Nov 18, 2002

Daah, I heard that!

tronik posted:

Depends. Are you planning to drive it until it dies? If not, the person buying your car isn't going to give a poo poo that your '11 was built in August 2011 and another guy's '12 was built in November. Your car is going to be worth less.

You're lucky on the pricing. I was prepared to buy an '11 WRX in late August, but the dealers around here (Detroit) are still playing "OMG TSUNAMI!" as of last week. Why would I buy a white 2011 WRX Premium at MSRP when I can wait a few weeks and order the blue 2012 WRX Limited that I want? The dealer pretended to have the answer, but oddly, it didn't have anything to do with lowering the price.

Amandyke posted:

Honestly I'd have a hard time not picking up the new 5.0 mustang GT. A friend of mine has an 06 wrx with an 18g in it did a little race with a stock mustang and got walked all over. Didn't matter what rev range, what speed, the gt just pulled away. Considering the GT is 29k and the STI is 33-35k... Less money, more power... If you can live without awd, might as well go with the mustang.
If I lived somewhere that was warm year-round, I'd be all over a Mustang. Holy gently caress are they bad in the snow, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Amandyke posted:

One of my good mates has a FG turbo Falcon - the one that is genuinely the best car Ford has ever made in any market and is a superior car than any US Ford product. It truly is a ridiculously good car and it is 3 seconds quicker 0-100 (kph, I dont do moon language) and also at Eastern Creek a good 40 kph faster down the straight. It does 1:57 around the track which might begin to tip off that a car that quick in a straight line and which does handle isnt that much faster than the WRX with 100Kw less around the track. And he can only do that for two laps at best before the brakes are smoking debris - while my car is barely warmed up and coming on strong.

He would take my car for anything other than freeway because, as he puts it, his car is only quicker when things are perfect. When that's not true then the WRX IS a far better car - and that's pretty much everywhere bar a freeway or two laps. These big turbo I6's and V8's may have one lap or two more on perfect tarmac but the world aint perfect and thats why a WRX or STI is actually truly quicker.

And if there's any type of moisture well then I swing out my hand and my mate's Ford the finger and rip out of sight. And that's also what you can do to a Mustang and that's why I say gently caress those inbred dinosaurs, AWD turbo terrorism all the loving way

In other news I measured my sway bars on the WRX because I realised something wasnt right, finally had a look under my partner's 07 WRX there's a obvious size difference. And promptly smacked myself in the head because I realised I have been for three years reading my micrometer wrong.

FFS, how loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
2005 LGT with a ~10k mi engine.
Most likely cause of an oil leak onto the exhaust manifold on the turbo side?

I think it has been going on for a while, perhaps since the engine was built, as I've smelled something for a while. My pass CV boot had let go and I thought it was that but after 5k mi since changing, it is still there.
I'm thinking VCG, but I don't know.
I'm using about 1qt per 3000mi total, so it isn't a huge loss, but it stinks and has smoked once or twice.