Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've been using Krylon Flat White, the normal non-primery paint, and there's very little in the can. It took me two(!) cans to prime 10 Guardsmen, a Sentinel, a HW team, and part of a Gundam. A single can of Tamiya White like I was using before could easily have done that and they're tiny.

Is the Krylon primer any better for quantity?

Are you not shaking the can up or something? That's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

I've been using Krylon Flat White, the normal non-primery paint, and there's very little in the can. It took me two(!) cans to prime 10 Guardsmen, a Sentinel, a HW team, and part of a Gundam. A single can of Tamiya White like I was using before could easily have done that and they're tiny.

Is the Krylon primer any better for quantity?

Yeah the Krylon primers have ample paint in them. For applying it I tend to just flick the nozzle briefly from a few angles until I have good coverage. This way I never lose any details and get a nice smooth even coat.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Someone posted a picture here (or in the 40k thread) with an ork he/she painted by basing the whole thing yellow first. Do anyone have the recipe? I tried doing the same, but the skin was way to yellow/light after one layer of green wash. The skin on the picture looked pretty dark, I was wondering how many layers of green wash it takes (or badab black?) and if I'm just better of doing dark green, lighter green and green wash.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fix posted:

Are you not shaking the can up or something? That's crazy.

I dunno. Maybe? It's extremely dusty, far more than anything else I've ever used. After priming all that stuff, I noticed my work area was suspiciously chalkier than the rest of the apartment. Just giant rolling clouds of dust coming out of my spray booth, really weird.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

I dunno. Maybe? It's extremely dusty, far more than anything else I've ever used. After priming all that stuff, I noticed my work area was suspiciously chalkier than the rest of the apartment. Just giant rolling clouds of dust coming out of my spray booth, really weird.

Yeah that sounds like you aren't shaking it enough. It takes a good minute of fairly vigorous shaking for a can of spray paint. You should hear the agitator rolling about freely before you are done shaking.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, shake the poo poo out of that thing. Two minutes solid the first time you use the can is my rule, and two full minutes is always longer than you think.

Mishra
Dec 12, 2007

I've got some free time these days and thought about getting back into the hobby and finishing my endless backlog of models. I noticed GW doesn't sell paint sets anymore, any suggestions on where I can get a deal or am I just stuck. Also I'd love some advice on this fire dragon. It almost works but his gun doesn't look quite right.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Oops, looks like I've just been using regular black/white Krylon for my models and not primer! Oh well, it seems to work pretty good anyway.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I use the regular as well, I think it doesnt bond as well so you have to make sure you varnish pretty heavily for metal models. Id forgotten how easily damaged paint is on metal models until I painted my skorne, Ive got a couple hours of touchups to do on that army already.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

I use the regular as well, I think it doesnt bond as well so you have to make sure you varnish pretty heavily for metal models. Id forgotten how easily damaged paint is on metal models until I painted my skorne, Ive got a couple hours of touchups to do on that army already.

This is especially the case with Warmahordes models since they tend to be:

1. Pointier
2. Heavier

Than your typical miniature. The lighter metal models (i.e. everything else) don't seem to have the same problem so as long as you use good primer. When I did my 4 Skorne guys I coated them with a massive number of coats of gloss varnish and it seems to have sealed them in properly. I transported them in the cupholders in my car the other day and they survived with nary a scratch despite Hexeris and two cyclops having an orgy.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I think part of my problem is using krylon flat black as my primer, its not nearly as tough. I also paint in really thin layers and that tends to not be very tough either.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A while ago I posted about spray woodstain, which seems to be something just made up for their website because gently caress if I can find it in hardware stores to try aerosol dipping.

On a brighter note, I found a textured shipping sleeve that gave me a basing idea for my Sisters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That's fantastic.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Does anyone ever find that sometimes primer can go on a bit grainy? Is this because of putting down too much primer on the mini or because the primer was a lovely brand?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Could be caused by lovely primer, the end of a can, or simply not shaking it enough.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Its drying in the air probably. Try getting a little closer.

Moths, what kind of packaging is that? It's perfect.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

We got some new equipment at work, so I'll grab any more that I see. I think it's one of the recycled shipping bags that HP uses. It has this address on it anyway. It feels like Nerf, but works great with plastic model cement. Unpainted, they look like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Oxford Comma posted:

Does anyone ever find that sometimes primer can go on a bit grainy? Is this because of putting down too much primer on the mini or because the primer was a lovely brand?

Also humidity can be a factor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It could also be a day with a consonant in it. gently caress aerosol paints.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here I was bitching about the crazy cool freehand on the studio Dreadfleet ships the other day, and how my poo poo would look plain and boring, go to start assembling the ships from my box, and those fukken things are sculpted on :drat:

GW is a pretty hosed up company sometimes, but holy poo poo can they make some badass models lately.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 7, 2011

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Hal Gill username posted:

Does anyone have any experience (good experience!) with Vallejo metallics?

Because I kind of hate them. The website specifically says not to thin them (but does say to thin their other paints) but they don't go on smoothly or cover smoothly either. Basically I am currently doing one pass and getting horrible blotchy coverage and then coming back and trying to painstakingly fill in all the uncovered bits.

I'm using Vallejo metalics pretty much exclusively for my Warmachine models and I'm loving them, particularly the brass variants. They do need a little watering down (particularly their gunmetal) or application with a damp brush.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So who's tried that Liquid Green Stuff GW's pumping out? How's it work?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mishra posted:

Also I'd love some advice on this fire dragon. It almost works but his gun doesn't look quite right.

First, can you get some better pictures on this? Second, that's an amazingly retro color scheme/paint job you've got going on. Third, I think the gun doesn't look right because it's a solid block of blue. I'd pick out the gemstones on it, and paint the ammo pod and ridgy-grippy bit a different color.

Man, are those guns phallic.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Eyespy posted:

I'm using Vallejo metalics pretty much exclusively for my Warmachine models and I'm loving them, particularly the brass variants. They do need a little watering down (particularly their gunmetal) or application with a damp brush.

Hmmm, thanks - I'll try watering 'em down a touch and see if that improves things.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

First, can you get some better pictures on this? Second, that's an amazingly retro color scheme/paint job you've got going on. Third, I think the gun doesn't look right because it's a solid block of blue. I'd pick out the gemstones on it, and paint the ammo pod and ridgy-grippy bit a different color.

Man, are those guns phallic.

Yea, put a different color on the ammo pod and maybe the nozzle thing, it will really serve to break up the weapon and make it look better. Then paint all your gems, its a pain but it does make a lot of difference. Except that row of tiny ones on the helmet, gently caress those.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
As some of you may or may not recall, I own a very large Saim Hann Eldar army.

I've had alot of fun painting it, Red is the best.

Recently I came across some pretty pictures of Biel-Tan. They have made me want to do an entire Biel-Tan contingent for my Eldar Army. Considering I just got a pair of super heavy tanks from FW...

Anyway, to business. Here is my test model, first time I've tried to crystalline effect too.

I would like your experienced eyes to go over my colour choice, techniques and general feedback please.

I'm going to be doing this army as a real showcase army, and probably not so much of a gaming army.

Hodgesaargh
Oct 25, 2010
God drat, that is an awesomely painted space elf. Why do I even read this thread anymore, it's just depressing.

postman
Jun 16, 2009

I'm 90% finished on my first model. I'm going for a Fallen color scheme based on the CSM codex with black and silver shoulders and dark green armor:

I've been watching a few videos over and over, most notably awesomepaintjob.com on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPWYLvlcsA

So here is where I'm at after a primer->Chaos black base coat->Gretchen (sp) green wash->black ink wash-> Gretchen Green/Dark Angel green mixed->Black Ink Wash->Dark Angel green hard line highlights:

I haven't started the heavy bolter yet, not really sure if I'm going to paint the red on it like most DA weapons or not.

The thing I cant decide is what to do with the embellishments on the chest, around the lower leg armor and gauntlets, whether to leave them as they are, a 2x ink washed Grethcen green without much contrast, paint them Chaos Black, or do a Chaos Black/Chainmail mix so the have a little luster but not to obnoxious.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

crime fighting hog posted:

This sounds quite sexual. :allears:

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

It's pretty amazing but a little bit finicky to use.

It shrinks / settles in, so the technique I've used is to water it down so it's like icing and just lather it over whatever I'm filling.

It takes like 10 minutes to set, so after around 5-7 I'll just grab one of those elmer boards / files and smooth it off. Leaves the remaineder in the hole.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

A friend of mine does some pretty awesome paint jobs (on-par or better than the ones in this thread and the ones in the Warhammer rulebook) he swears by using flat black or flat white paint, and NOT primer for painting his models. Matter of fact, when I called him asking which brand of primer to get because all I could find was grey automotive primer he said "gently caress that, go to Walmart and get cheapo Krylon flat black and white" I was already at walmart so that kinda worked.

He glues a slotted dowel to the figure and then dips his models in varnish when they're done, spinning them slightly to air-dry them.
The results work (apparantly) flawlessly.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Is there any difference between chaos black and undercoat black (the one you get in the paint set)? I assume there isn't but since I'm doing black templars getting black right is pretty important.

Someone in this or the other 40k thread said they spent a year painting their black templar squad and then posted a picture of them, they looked really nice, does anyone know what picture I mean? Cheers!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Red Herring posted:

I would like your experienced eyes to go over my colour choice, techniques and general feedback please.

It's gorgeous, of course you already know that. The only thing I'd address are the two gold studs on the torso, my eye is drawn straight to them, away from the other arguably more important areas of the model.

Wether you address this with toning them down, or even going the other way and turning them into gems perhaps?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Hey, so I want yall'z opinion:

should I change the way I do my Slaanesh terminators from this:

to this?

Color wise my pink is more red and dark. MSP told me to highlight the black before I decide. Was not sure if you guys liked the pink/black emp children or the pink/violet that guys has going on...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Your ones look more visually appealing to me, but the other ones look more slaaneshi. Your choice, really.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
WhiteOutMouse, I prefer your first image, and to be perfectly honest the second figure I just end up looking at the forward chin guard. On the first figure I'd do something a bit lighter for the tusks as they seem to be something that should stand out a little from the rest of the armor. Perhaps that same brass/gold color you've accented the gun with.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hey, so I want yall'z opinion:

should I change the way I do my Slaanesh terminators from this:

to this?

Color wise my pink is more red and dark. MSP told me to highlight the black before I decide. Was not sure if you guys liked the pink/black emp children or the pink/violet that guys has going on...

I prefer the second picture myself. But do what MSP said, finish the first scheme before deciding because the finishing touches always transform a model.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
i've gone insane (and blind). I can't remember if I mentioned, but we're having a painting contest at work (Vigil Games) and I've decided to pull out all the stops (or at the very least push myself in areas I've not yet tried)

it's already been smoothed from that picture, so it looks 10x better

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Yeast posted:

It's gorgeous, of course you already know that. The only thing I'd address are the two gold studs on the torso, my eye is drawn straight to them, away from the other arguably more important areas of the model.

Wether you address this with toning them down, or even going the other way and turning them into gems perhaps?

Now that you mention it, I do notice that. I don't know what I can do about it, maybe go with a more silver / electrum? They're flat discs. If I had though about this before I undercoated him I could have made gems.

What do you suggest? I don't go back and change this particular one now, but future ones I will.

Here is the completed model btw

Next one in the line:

Bum shot:

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I prefer the second picture myself. But do what MSP said, finish the first scheme before deciding because the finishing touches always transform a model.

Tying up the votes for 'second scheme'.

I guess the question is, what made you second guess the thing, WOM? Do you not like the black?

• Locked thread