Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

wilkenm posted:

Finally got around to changing ECU maps on my Street Triple. I've been riding around on the stock map with Akrapoic slip-ons for a month or so, and things didn't feel quite right. So I used the latest Triumph supplied map for their Arrow slip-ons, and things feel 1000% better now.

Total cost: $18 for a ODB2->USB cable from Amazon.

TuneECU rocks, huh? I paid about half that for my cable but I had to wait 2 weeks for it to get here from China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

M4rg4r1ne posted:

scooters.jpg

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Chain was a little loose on the R6 so I adjusted it. Wow the lock nuts are...um... completely in the wrong place. I guess I didn't tighten them enough last time. I spent the next 20 minutes fiddling with the chain tension. drat, too tight! drat, too loose! Finally got it on the looser end of spec and I felt much less vibration on the ride into work this morning.

I guess I better keep an eye on those adjustment lock nuts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Crayvex posted:

Chain was a little loose on the R6 so I adjusted it. Wow the lock nuts are...um... completely in the wrong place. I guess I didn't tighten them enough last time. I spent the next 20 minutes fiddling with the chain tension. drat, too tight! drat, too loose! Finally got it on the looser end of spec and I felt much less vibration on the ride into work this morning.

I guess I better keep an eye on those adjustment lock nuts.

Did you have problems because the amount of slack isn't consistent? Check it in multiple places, your chain might have stretched and be toast.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
It was more a matter of me being stupid. (Four turns out... crap too tight. Two turns back in... crap too loose. Kick the tire forward etc.)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Spent the weekend cleaning & adjusting the chain, spraying the exhaust shroud black and installing heated grips.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pope Mobile posted:

Spent the weekend cleaning & adjusting the chain, spraying the exhaust shroud black and installing heated grips.

After installing my first set of heated grips, I realized what a moron I'd been for riding years without them. Best $30 mod ever.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I've been thinking about heated grips, it's maddening I haven't installed them and I live in upstate New York. What's a good brand?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

the walkin dude posted:

I've been thinking about heated grips, it's maddening I haven't installed them and I live in upstate New York. What's a good brand?

I have Symtec heaters and they work pretty well.

with a toggle switch
http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/16011.html

or, with a round rocker switch
http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/16025.html

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

After installing my first set of heated grips, I realized what a moron I'd been for riding years without them. Best $30 mod ever.

Seriously. Today was the first day in a month I got to work and my fingers weren't frozen.

I have Moose Racing heated grips. They were $50, but are the same as linked above.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Is there any heated grips with an OEM looking switch with a mount that goes onto the handlebar? For a reasonable price?

I live in Texas so it never really gets too cold, but I also only have summer type gloves.. gets cold around end of the year.. I get off the freeway early on the way to work so I can stop at some lights and put my hands on the engine to warm them a little..

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Depends on what you consdier "reasonable". There are the kind that have been listed so far which come with either a standard toggle or round rocker switch that is usually mounted into the fairing. Then you've got actual replacement grips with the heating elements built in.
From what I've seen, the latter kind usually have the switch/mount you're looking for.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PRC_A99-00010&esrc=cj

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

GanjamonII posted:

Is there any heated grips with an OEM looking switch with a mount that goes onto the handlebar? For a reasonable price?

hmmm.... maybe you could do heaters like I linked, but with a switch like this place sells?
http://www.epfguzzi.com/SWITCHES.HTM

"Another Headlight Switch: This one has a few more features. 3 position switch (off-low-high) as well as momentary (kill) button. All this in a nice slim (20mm wide) package! Includes bullet connectors and wiring instructions. Fits 7/8" handlebars. Manf by: K&S Tech"

That would actually give you your high and low heater settings, or you could use one of the cheaper on/off switches.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

That must be retardedly loud

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Raven457 posted:

hmmm.... maybe you could do heaters like I linked, but with a switch like this place sells?
http://www.epfguzzi.com/SWITCHES.HTM

"Another Headlight Switch: This one has a few more features. 3 position switch (off-low-high) as well as momentary (kill) button. All this in a nice slim (20mm wide) package! Includes bullet connectors and wiring instructions. Fits 7/8" handlebars. Manf by: K&S Tech"

That would actually give you your high and low heater settings, or you could use one of the cheaper on/off switches.

Oh that is very nice actually.. I might wait a few weeks for when it starts getting proper cold (for texas) but I've already got a relay etc wired up for the USB charger so this should just splice into that easily enough. Thanks!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I tried riding to work with earbuds in so I could listen to music. It took me five tries to get my helmet on without moving them and then one fell out and it wasn't loud enough at highway speeds anyway. I think some clear tape might be the trick.

edit: or these

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Gnaghi posted:

I tried riding to work with earbuds in so I could listen to music. It took me five tries to get my helmet on without moving them and then one fell out and it wasn't loud enough at highway speeds anyway. I think some clear tape might be the trick.

I'm assuming you have a full face helmet? Before I got in-helmet speakers, I put the earbuds behind in the cheekpads in the gap where the speakers would later go. Positioned properly, I could still hear them with foam earplugs in up to about 70mph.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Those look like a nice cheap compromise between the Etymotics and cheapy earbuds.

Although the reviewer is a moron...either he has the most perfectly wrong shaped ear canals or he's using the wrong sized tips on the Etymotics if "they just fall out while he's walking".

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Gnaghi posted:

Here ya go:
http://www.complyfoam.com/

I use these with my Hifiman RE2s, and the setup ends up being as quiet as nice earplugs, with the bonus of wind-free music.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Edit:^^^Awesome I'm gonna order those. $10 to bring a semblance of usefulness to my regular apple earphones.

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm assuming you have a full face helmet? Before I got in-helmet speakers, I put the earbuds behind in the cheekpads in the gap where the speakers would later go. Positioned properly, I could still hear them with foam earplugs in up to about 70mph.

That's not a bad idea, gonna try that tomorrow. I always use earplugs too and with a sportbike this morning sucked riding with only half an earbud in.

Z3n posted:

Although the reviewer is a moron...either he has the most perfectly wrong shaped ear canals or he's using the wrong sized tips on the Etymotics if "they just fall out while he's walking".

Maybe he's one of those parkour guys. :v:

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 3, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Gnaghi posted:

Edit:^^^Awesome I'm gonna order those. $10 to bring a semblance of usefulness to my regular apple earphones.

That's not a bad idea, gonna try that tomorrow. I always use earplugs too and with a sportbike this morning sucked riding with only half an earbud in.

Maybe he's one of those parkour guys. :v:

I have like seven pairs of these that I've acquired over the years (I honestly have no clue why, I've never purchased a pair) and they stay on very nicely inside my full face helmet. I did a teeny bit of trimming on the lower part that sits in front of the ear with a nail file to remove a molding edge, and they don't hurt at all. The sound quality isn't JAWESOME, but they can get very loud, which is what counts when you're inside a helmet at 65, not sound fidelity.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Found a voicemail on my cell from my insurance company, saying that my policy that expires tomorrow needs to paid in full by Friday if I wish to renew it with them. Even though I sent in my direct deposit authorization info a couple of weeks ago :confused:

Looks like I got a call to make first thing tomorrow morning...

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

TuneECU rocks, huh? I paid about half that for my cable but I had to wait 2 weeks for it to get here from China.

It's a great piece of software, I wasn't expecting it to be so simple to use. Now I have to resist the urge to start playing with numbers that I don't understand!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Since I couldn't go riding due because I was slow-cooking a pork roast, I decided to install the Loobman chain oiler I bought a while ago:

Please disregard how filthy my bike is.

The chainsaw bar oil I bought to fill it with turned out to be bright loving green. It looks pretty cool, actually.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sick of not making any progress on any of my current projects, I got distracted.

I pulled out the cb400, yanked the battery and all the wiring from the seat area, and I took a grinder to it.

These tabs are now gone.

Sorry I didn't get any close up shots of the aftermath.

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/10/getting-sidetracked.html

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 5, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Loobman chain oiler

I really like that. My bike has a lot of nooks and crannies I could hide the reservoir in. Would be very interesting to read about fling-off or grime issues as you get some miles on it!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

I really like that. My bike has a lot of nooks and crannies I could hide the reservoir in. Would be very interesting to read about fling-off or grime issues as you get some miles on it!

I'm still getting it adjusted so it oils both sides of the sprocket evenly and I'm debating supergluing the hose to the reservoir and delivery head thingie, it's a bit too easy to rip out and hard to get back in for my taste.

Another thing is that the head gets completely soaked with oil when you use it, so if you need to fiddle with it at all, you get real filthy real easy.

But for less than 1/5th the price of the cheapest Scottoiler, I'm pretty satisfied so far. The chainsaw bar oil I'm using is a bit thin and runs through very quickly, so the next time I'll probably pick up the cheapest, heaviest oil I can find.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 5, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

It is everywhere, but then again I'm using 10w40 and vigorously so. :)

The only slight problem I have is that rain gets in and creates white blobs in the oil, but it doesn't hinder the pump so whatever.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KozmoNaut posted:

Since I couldn't go riding due because I was slow-cooking a pork roast, I decided to install the Loobman chain oiler I bought a while ago:

Please disregard how filthy my bike is.

The chainsaw bar oil I bought to fill it with turned out to be bright loving green. It looks pretty cool, actually.

That looks really good. So good, I just ordered one! Question though: how does the actual sprocket-oiler-thingy attach to the swingarm? Just a few cable-ties?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That looks really good. So good, I just ordered one! Question though: how does the actual sprocket-oiler-thingy attach to the swingarm? Just a few cable-ties?

You thread a cable tie through that bendy rubber-covered steel thing and attach that to the swingarm, the whole thing only took me like 20 minutes to install and adjust, now I'm just fiddling with the angle and tilt of the head to get even oiling on both sides of the sprocket.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

So after correcting my gently caress ups from the last attempt, I managed to actually build some SS brake lines and install them on the bike. Stunningly, swapping the lines and bleeding them took less than 15 minutes. Bleeding brakes is MUCH easier when you aren't chasing loving leaks.

Then I picked up a second tank and took a stab at hammering in knee-dents. They came out pretty good, though a managed to tear the steel in a crease. Some JB weld filled the hole. Spent ages applying and sanding (rinse repeat) Bondo to smooth out the indents. Finally got it primed up, so I filled it with vinegar to clean out any rust (tank looks pretty clean though) and see if any leaks seeped through the primer. After a few hours, with no staining dripping, I decided that JB weld was holding. So I laid down the base color on the tank, seat and panels.

Tonight I can add the stripes, and then clear coat in the morning.

Yes, there will be pics.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Used the RunKeeper app set to "Other" to time and measure my commute home after work :v: Turns out to work like a charm, and I made great time to boot: 38 minutes for 18km.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I moved the reservoir for my Loobman to a better location because I couldn't get it to stay put where it was before, and it kept hitting the chain guard. Much better now.

Worst Daddy
Oct 9, 2011

by Ozmaugh

KozmoNaut posted:

I moved the reservoir for my Loobman to a better location because I couldn't get it to stay put where it was before, and it kept hitting the chain guard. Much better now.

That thing is kind of counterproductive on a X-ring chain.

All you need is keeping it clean and relatively dry. Just a rag and a few drops of cheap 10w40 will do.

Constantly soaking an X or O-ring chain with sticky chainsaw lube is the recipe for disaster and worn rings. This is like lubing it with sand and road grit.

What really surprise me is that this thing doesn't come prefilled with snake oil. Jokes aside. That device was relevant on old HDs and UJMs with lovely chains you had to boil with engine oil to get it almost working. This is a non-issue with modern O/X-ring chains.

Use you money to buy some good wax-shampoo instead, unless you're planning a rat-bike. Jesus Christ, that Bandit is dirty. I'm sure a constant flush of sticky chainsaw lube contributed a bit to the current state of your dirt pile.

Worst Daddy fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 9, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You really are the worst daddy ;)

Besides, it's some kind of biodegradeable chainsaw oil, it isn't sticky at all, just very runny. It's probably lovely as hell for chainsaws, but it seems to work for the chain, keeping it oiled but not caked in crap. It's not like it's constantly pouring oil on the chain, I give it a squeeze once every couple of days, no more than 5-10ml or so.

I was going to tell you to stop being such a curmudgeon, but I fear it's already too late.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 9, 2011

Worst Daddy
Oct 9, 2011

by Ozmaugh

KozmoNaut posted:

You really are the worst daddy ;)

I was going to tell you to stop being such a curmudgeon, but I fear it's already too late.

Wash your bike and shut up, son.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Installed a main jet one size larger on the Vino. No more flat-spotting at 38 MPH. It pegs the speedometer at less than 3/4 throttle again. Stupid lowering air temperatures making fuel harder to atomize!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Worst Daddy posted:

She's a filthy lady, that's just the way she is.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Suspension on the track SV installed yesterday. GSXR 750 forks, ZX10R shock.

Today I think I'll install the reduced wiring harness and start figuring out what other small items I need for it. Might order my rearsets too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Worst Daddy posted:

well unfortunately, that was short-lived.

I realized yesterday that I am probably better off just taking my things to a professional to have them media blasted.

I soda blasted my friend's 77cb750F motor. All the paint is gone, the gasket surfaces are all clean, and it's about to get repainted gold and cast iron.

Took me 6 hours start to finish (including cleanup) and I must have used at least 60lbs of baking soda. Actually probably closer to 75lbs.

Links to paint:
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-ceramic-engine-paint-qt-olds-gold.html
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-ceramic-engine-paint-qt-universal-cast-iron.html