Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You would pay both full price and an ETF, just whichever of "retail price" and "prorated ETF + subsidized price" is cheaper.

Anyways I wouldn't worry about the Nexus Prime until we actually know more about the device, and we actually get an idea of a release date on Sprint. While I wouldn't recommend anyone pick up a Nexus S with a subsidy today, already having one is a great place to be since it'll get an ICS upgrade before any other phone, and hardware wise it's still pretty good.

Wow that's more than I'd originally thought. Never mind then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

Oh, and you're limited to 300MB a month on Verizon's network. They WILL come after you if you're a habitual over-user.

what do you mean?

If I pay for a 4gb/mo plan at $50 a month, what exactly are they going to come after?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sprint pays VZW/others an assload for mobile roaming data. Regardless of the upper limit on your plan (4GB for a modem or unlimited for the phone itself), if you use 300MB/mo or more of that while roaming, Sprint will want you gone.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

oh right, roaming data.

Yeah, Sprint has been pretty loving horrible with the roaming on my android too. It'll linger on a 1-bar Sprint signal despite being in a 5-bar Verizion signal area pretty much forever to avoid the roaming data.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Mark Larson posted:

Also, there is no EV-DO Rev B happening on Sprint or Verizon, so please don't go around perpetuating that rumor.

How could you possibly know that?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Am I the only one not able to login to shop.sprint.com..? I've been trying for hours and it keeps telling me my login info is incorrect, even though i can login to mysprint.sprint.com with it fine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wow that's more than I'd originally thought. Never mind then. Thanks!
Crap. I already edited that post, but I figured it was worth a reply to emphasize my error.

I meant to say "you wouldn't pay both full price and an ETF, just whichever of 'retail price' and 'prorated ETF + subsidized price' is cheaper."

Didn't mean to mislead you like that.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Alman posted:

Because their strategy conference today, which talked about their network plans for the next few years, didn't mention it at all? :raise:

Unless someone wants to keep wishing on that fairytale just because they didn't explicitly deny it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Alman posted:

There is zero reason to upgrade to revb instead of spending that money on LTE.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
I hosed up and pre-ordered a 4S with the unlimited everything plan this morning. This is a new line and what I really want is the EPRP 500 minute plan. What are my options?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Crap. I already edited that post, but I figured it was worth a reply to emphasize my error.

I meant to say "you wouldn't pay both full price and an ETF, just whichever of 'retail price' and 'prorated ETF + subsidized price' is cheaper."

Didn't mean to mislead you like that.

I didn't see the edit, but thanks for cleaning it up.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

ddogflex posted:

Am I the only one not able to login to shop.sprint.com..? I've been trying for hours and it keeps telling me my login info is incorrect, even though i can login to mysprint.sprint.com with it fine.

Been having that exact same problem all day. Really annoying.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Do any versions of sense support landscape orientation for the gui? I'm holding out hope for an update that'll add it....

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

change my name posted:

Do any versions of sense support landscape orientation for the gui? I'm holding out hope for an update that'll add it....

Only phones with keyboards, like the Desire Z come with landscape Sense. The Flyer has it too.

Telex posted:

oh right, roaming data.

Yeah, Sprint has been pretty loving horrible with the roaming on my android too. It'll linger on a 1-bar Sprint signal despite being in a 5-bar Verizion signal area pretty much forever to avoid the roaming data.

There's an app called Roam Control in the market that let's you force roaming. Some custom ROMs have the option built in as well.

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 8, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

supersteve posted:

Whoops.

Hah, wondered if anyone would pick up on that. I'm still up by a bit (like, a few cents), it was at similar levels on iphone launch day. The real test will be over the next few years...

sanchez fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am going to do something I never thought I would do, I am going to pre-order a iPhone 4S tomorrow at Best Buy. Will be my first Apple product ever. I love Android, but I want to learn something new. I could always go back next year depending on the landscape at that time.

Anathema
Aug 24, 2000
I've never had an original thought in my life, and somebody had to tell me that, too.
So I currently have SERO, and an HTC Touch Pro from the Late Cretaceous. Still, $30/month for 500 minutes and unlimited text/data. I had wanted to get an iPhone to replace this POS, but am I correct that my plan would increase to $50/month as a result? I'm not sure that a 16GB iPhone 4S is worth $199 plus $240/year.

Or do I have this wrong, and there is only a $10/month upcharge? That would be more a little more palatable.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Anathema posted:

So I currently have SERO, and an HTC Touch Pro from the Late Cretaceous. Still, $30/month for 500 minutes and unlimited text/data. I had wanted to get an iPhone to replace this POS, but am I correct that my plan would increase to $50/month as a result? I'm not sure that a 16GB iPhone 4S is worth $199 plus $240/year.

Or do I have this wrong, and there is only a $10/month upcharge? That would be more a little more palatable.

$50. If you use any smartphone with an OS other than Windows 6, you get "Sero Premium" which is $40, and then add $10 more for Premium Data, which is only for 4G phones (oops, also the iPhone we're making this poo poo up as we go)

Anathema
Aug 24, 2000
I've never had an original thought in my life, and somebody had to tell me that, too.
Thanks. Guess I will deal with my incredibly slow and feature-poor phone, with its stellar 6-hour standby battery life, for a while longer.

Unless. . . if I bought the new phone outright from a third party and just gave Sprint the IMEI numbers or whatever, would that allow me to keep my monthly cost at the present level?

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Schadenfreude is so nutritious

td4guy posted:

The whole point of the integration is that it doesn't matter at all which phone you have. So people with dumbphones can take advantage of the same cool services that smartphone people have been getting with their GV app.

not an answer to my question whatsoever but thanks anyway. I just checked and it seems theres a google voice app in the appstore (there wasn't last time I had an iphone).

Neena posted:

Been having that exact same problem all day. Really annoying.

had this all morning. gave up and ordered from apple. I hope I didn't miss out on any benefits of getting it from sprint - price seemed the same?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

clockworx posted:

$50. If you use any smartphone with an OS other than Windows 6, you get "Sero Premium" which is $40, and then add $10 more for Premium Data, which is only for 4G phones (oops, also the iPhone we're making this poo poo up as we go)

No, it's for pretty much all smartphones now. If someone were to get a Pre, they'd have to pay it. It's just that if you already had the smartphone, they don't make you pay until you get a new one. You may be right that Windows 6 phones are omitted, but it's not just 4G any more.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

No, it's for pretty much all smartphones now. If someone were to get a Pre, they'd have to pay it. It's just that if you already had the smartphone, they don't make you pay until you get a new one. You may be right that Windows 6 phones are omitted, but it's not just 4G any more.

Not the same for SERO (which is what he was asking about), unless it's changed - SERO Premium ($40) covers all smartphones, then you pay another $10 for "Premium Data".

(OP agrees with me, unless it's also out of date)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

clockworx posted:

Not the same for SERO (which is what he was asking about), unless it's changed - SERO Premium ($40) covers all smartphones, then you pay another $10 for "Premium Data".

(OP agrees with me, unless it's also out of date)

Ahh, you're right.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

hoonchops posted:

had this all morning. gave up and ordered from apple. I hope I didn't miss out on any benefits of getting it from sprint - price seemed the same?

Yeah this is still loving happening to me. And I can't order from apple because my account type isn't supported (presuming that's because it's SERO). :rolleyes: Maybe it'll work sometime this weekend.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

clockworx posted:

Do you know that for sure? I haven't seen a definitive answer anywhere on whether the 4g surcharge is needed on SERO Premium plans for the iPhone.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Do you know that for sure? I haven't seen a definitive answer anywhere on whether the 4g surcharge is needed on SERO Premium plans for the iPhone.

It was posted a couple pages ago, and it was listed when I did a test "upgrade" to the iPhone on my SERO plan.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

That's exactly why Sprint would do it though.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Anathema posted:

Unless. . . if I bought the new phone outright from a third party and just gave Sprint the IMEI numbers or whatever, would that allow me to keep my monthly cost at the present level?

I'm in the same boat as you, except I've got a Touch Pro 2. From what I understand, when you go to activate anything without vacuum tubes on the old $30 SERO plan, you'll be denied.

Maybe I should just turn on the wi-fi internet sharing on my phone and invest in an iPod Touch and 10 batteries.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Are you guys so hard up for $20 a month that you are forcing yourself to use old, super lovely and slow phones with awful battery life to save that money? It's really not that much more, and the experience is completely night and day on a modern smartphone like an Android device or iPhone compared to Windows Mobile 6.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

With Sprint's "network vision" rollout, they're replacing the cdma equipment at the cell towers with a new box that supports cdma, lte, and whatever future thing with replaceable cards or something.
So if Sprint is buying all this new cdma hardware, I wonder why it wouldn't support rev b...

I wonder what the price difference is between a Rev A card and a Rev B card when you're placing the order for several thousand cell sites.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

big mean giraffe posted:

Are you guys so hard up for $20 a month that you are forcing yourself to use old, super lovely and slow phones with awful battery life to save that money? It's really not that much more, and the experience is completely night and day on a modern smartphone like an Android device or iPhone compared to Windows Mobile 6.

Until there is a separate SERO thread, that's gonna be the demographic in here.

In the interest of content, really liking my SGS2E4GT. If anyone has one, don't bother rooting it yet. The custom ROM scene isn't ready for Primetime and since it's a Samsung, it'll never get Cyanogenmod.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

YEAH I'M SORRY BUT THAT IS $240 A YEAR DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT CAN BUY YOU? ALSO WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT $10 "PREMIUM DATA" FEE? THE IPHONE DOESN'T HAVE 4G WHY ARE THEY STILL CHARGING FOR IT?

<Insert empty threat about leaving for another carrier here>

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm off SERO now, but when you consider that the plan is $30 a month, an extra $20 a month is really nothing to sneeze at.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

averox posted:

YEAH I'M SORRY BUT THAT IS $240 A YEAR DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT CAN BUY YOU? ALSO WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT $10 "PREMIUM DATA" FEE? THE IPHONE DOESN'T HAVE 4G WHY ARE THEY STILL CHARGING FOR IT?

<Insert empty threat about leaving for another carrier here>

I'm not going to throw a tantrum about it, but the iPhone fee is bullshit in the sense that Sprint can't seem to make up their mind about what Premium data is. It's pretty much a "So you want a popular phone? Bend over" but they can't really call it that outright. I'm not shocked at all that the iPhone requires Premium Data, it's that it's inconsistent.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm off SERO now, but when you consider that the plan is $30 a month, an extra $20 a month is really nothing to sneeze at.

When you get a not completely lovely and worthless user experience that could be matched by a $50 feature phone it is.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Has anyone considered that it's probably Apple telling Sprint that they can't put the iPhone on $40 SERO?

And yes, the iPhone will sell like hotcakes and so many of its users will use so much data, that revenue is needed to upgrade the network just so it can at least cope.

Once there's a 4G iPhone the issue will be moot. Sprint may downgrade the iPhone 4/4S to $40 SERO, or they may not, but enough people are going to move to iPhone 5 that it won't matter.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Has anyone considered that it's probably Apple telling Sprint that they can't put the iPhone on $40 SERO?

And yes, the iPhone will sell like hotcakes and so many of its users will use so much data, that revenue is needed to upgrade the network just so it can at least cope.

Once there's a 4G iPhone the issue will be moot. Sprint may downgrade the iPhone 4/4S to $40 SERO, or they may not, but enough people are going to move to iPhone 5 that it won't matter.

I don't know why apple would care. They've moved the unit by that point;the only one being dinged by iphone users on a cheaper plan would be sprint.

Vastly Outnumbered
Dec 10, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Apple has no real incentive to require a minimum plan cost for the iPhone - if anything they would prefer lower cost plans, since it would directly increase sales. They're presumably charging carriers higher costs than most of the other manufacturers, since they obviously have the leverage to do so. The extra $10 on top of the $40 SERO Premium rate is basically an offset to the subsidized cost of the phone; since Sprint's cost to carry the iPhone is likely higher than their cost for other phones, it stands to reason that they won't charge less for it (especially when overall demand will be higher).

It's definitely a noticeable increase compared to the cost of standard SERO, but still a good price compared to the competition. On top of which, as far as I know the best phone you can own on $30 SERO is the Touch Pro2, which is such an unmitigated piece of lagging poo poo that it should be a criminal act to charge a monthly fee for it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Apparently I have to make a new sprint account. It's telling me my password is invalid and it will refuse to let me recover the password. I spoke to two reps and asked to speak to a supervisor and got the same answer.

What the gently caress sprint? Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

big mean giraffe posted:

When you get a not completely lovely and worthless user experience that could be matched by a $50 feature phone it is.

I'll leave it to others to get in a slap fight about this (since obviously I'm not paying SERO anymore, so you know what I chose to do), but mocking someone for not wanting to increase their bill by 66% is unproductive. Some people want to have a phone that makes calls, texts, and occasionally uses data. If they're willing to sacrifice some speed/ease of use to save 66% every month, I think that's a legitimate choice. Obviously, for heavier phone users, it's a bigger trade off, hence why you and I have chosen to pay the extra money.